Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Brides/Grooms

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Not necessarily. It depends on what you want but if that's the same as everyone else then that's where you hit problems. We had our heart set on our venue so we couldn't wait to book that and our celebrant is very much in demand so we want to get her sorted asap. She did a naming ceremony for us last summer so she knew the date was being set and she wait for us to confirm before she opened her diary for 2017. As for music, all the most sought after bands are in demand and therefore booked out. I'm more than happy with our choice and I'd say we got in by the skin of our teeth too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Think im gonna go for dj only now. Having a very small wedding and can't justify the cost. it will cost more than the venue

Think im gonna go for dj only now. Having a very small wedding and can't justify the cost. it will cost more than the venue

We're also having just the dj and the one we're going with has been recommended to us by a few people so we're absolutely delighted with our choice now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

We're going for something quite different, no band, not a traditional hotel so I'm hoping... Our big splash out will be on photographer and outfits tbh.

I feel a spreadsheet coming on. What's everyone using to keep track of things?

ChewChew wrote:
    We're also having just the dj and the one we're going with has been recommended to us by a few people so we're absolutely delighted with our choice now

Can u pm the name please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭hotmatottie10

if your in cork i can recommend someone for you. he is amazing has old vinyl and gets the flooring filled in no time.

Baby and Crumble. Dont get too worried. Deciding on venue can be tough, Go the fairs and see what appeals. Sometimes the venues are very helpful and have recommendations.

I'm in Dublin. Thanks though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Miss Merry Berry

We visited our venue on Sunday and provisionally booked it for 07.07.2017, love the date lol. The band and photographer we would like are still available for that date. We just need to check if the priest is available now!

Well tried on dresses today. My 700euro budget is now looking very unrealistic haha

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭missmaw

Well tried on dresses today. My 700euro budget is now looking very unrealistic haha

I got my dress (ex sample) from a shop in Clonmel that does preowned and sample sale dresses. It was exactly what I wanted and under my €700 budget. Keep looking and stay positive, you'll be surprised!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Farmerstatia

Hi all.. getting married in 2017 march.. so far we have venue church photographer band dj hair suits and florist booked. And my dress bought and bridesmaids. I just want all done so i can destress sit back and relax...
    Does anyone else find car transport expensive. We are in roscommon and there isnt a lot of choice

I really hope I get something. I was looking for samples originally but they don't seem to have any lacey/fishtail dresses in samples :-(
    I did try on one dress I liked (wasn't sample) it was 1250...

I tried a few dresses but I doubt I'll buy mine in a shop. Certainly not a traditional wedding dress shop anyways. I'm not really doing a whole lot else yet. Toying with ideas and watch everyone else around me in a flap about my wedding that I am nice and chilled out about. Makes it more entertaining when everyone else is stressed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

ChewChew wrote: »
    I tried a few dresses but I doubt I'll buy mine in a shop. Certainly not a traditional wedding dress shop anyways. I'm not really doing a whole lot else yet. Toying with ideas and watch everyone else around me in a flap about my wedding that I am nice and chilled out about. Makes it more entertaining when everyone else is stressed :D

Ha yes, this is so true. Obviously there are things you need to get done, but stressing doesn't get them done any quicker! The things that are important for me is that our guests have a great day. I think the things that will make the day are a lovely relaxed venue, good food and wine, good music. And obviously, being selfish, a lovely dress for me! Beyond that I plan on keeping things as simple as possible!

Mc Elhinneys in Donegal have a fantastic selection and in the January sales, they had all their 2015 stock on sale off the rail for €450 for each dress. Apparently there were 200 people queuing to get in. I saw some gorgeous dresses but I'm pregnant so I'll wait until I've had the baby. It'd be worth keeping in mind if you haven't found a dress by January.

Edit: I just checked their website and there are still some dresses left on their website from their winter sale in limited sizes but most priced at €495.

Mc Elhinneys in Donegal have a fantastic selection and in the January sales, they had all their 2015 stock on sale off the rail for €450 for each dress. Apparently there were 200 people queuing to get in. I saw some gorgeous dresses but I'm pregnant so I'll wait until I've had the baby. It'd be worth keeping in mind if you haven't found a dress by January.

Thanks I might wait until next year then. Im certainly in no rush. And need to lose baby weight too. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy x

Currently pricing cars. Holy crap balls!!!! My partner doesn't want to travel in a fancy car so that's that sorted. I don't either but I'm sorted with a car for me. I want a limo though for a few guests and holy moly the price! A scandal!

Can anyone give me a rough idea of what I should expect to pay for alterations. Never even thought of this when deciding on dress budget

I've been told to expect to pay up to €300 :/

ChewChew wrote:
    I've been told to expect to pay up to €300 :/

Jaysus that's alot. The shop I was looking in doesn't do alterations. So I couldn't even chance my arm by asking them to do me a deal including alterations

• Advertisement

Jaysus that's alot. The shop I was looking in doesn't do alterations. So I couldn't even chance my arm by asking them to do me a deal including alterations

I think it's good to over budget too. Did you buy your dress? I've only been to one shop

ChewChew wrote:
    I think it's good to over budget too. Did you buy your dress? I've only been to one shop

No not yet. Had a look though so kinda know the style im after now. Going to properly look again in April
    After seeing the prices I decided 1500 max inc veil but forgot all about the alterations

Yea I've settled on my style and that. Hoping to buy online if I can find the right place that I am satisfied with but going to make a few appointments for March. I've ordered a birdcage veil and a small comb though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Currently pricing cars. Holy crap balls!!!! My partner doesn't want to travel in a fancy car so that's that sorted. I don't either but I'm sorted with a car for me. I want a limo though for a few guests and holy moly the price! A scandal!

Instead of the limo option would you consider renting an executive car for the day and getting someone to drive it?

Instead of the limo option would you consider renting an executive car for the day and getting someone to drive it?

I thought of that but could do without the hassle of getting it back to a hire company etc. It might come down to that though. I'm waiting for a company to back to me so I'll see what they say first. :)

My fiancé has been brilliant the last week and has been so organised booking things and paying the deposits. We have our priest, venue, church music,reception music, band, photographer and car booked. We have an idea about who'll do the cake and not a clue about florists. I know what invitations we'll get too, I saw a lovely design on rocoandmiley. I feel so happy that everything has come together in such a short space of time. No thanks to me lol but I like to think I was behind the scenes doing the research. I'm going keep to pick up bits and bobs here like these lovely glass jars I saw in Asda for a sweet table we're doing ourselves. I just don't want to be overwhelmed before the wedding.

Wish my fiancé would take a leaf out of your fiancés book miss berry.
    All I get is an 'I don't mind' out of him :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I thought of that but could do without the hassle of getting it back to a hire company etc. It might come down to that though. I'm waiting for a company to back to me so I'll see what they say first. :)

How about looking at Uber or getting a high end car taxi. I have seen a couple of S class taxi's about. What kind of money have you been quoted?

How about looking at Uber or getting a high end car taxi. I have seen a couple of S class taxi's about. What kind of money have you been quoted?

€700 for two limos. I literally only need them for 1.5hrs MAX! So I just can't justify that kind of money! My partner did mention uber so we're going to look into that. If not we'll just use our own cars with ribbons! :)

• Advertisement

€700 for two limos. I literally only need them for 1.5hrs MAX! So I just can't justify that kind of money! My partner did mention uber so we're going to look into that. If not we'll just use our own cars with ribbons! :)

It's so much money for a few hours! We got quoted the same price for two vintage cars which I just loved the second I saw them. We decided to compromise and just get one car for myself and the groom. Luckily my fiancé works in the motor trade and he knows a guy who will give him two VW vans for the bridal party. We saw vintage self drive cars that weren't as expensive to rent if that's an option.

Advertisement