Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Brides/Grooms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭missmaw

Another 2017 bride here. Congrats to all, and now don't feel too crazy that others are planning ahead. Venue and band booked. Stuck between two churches as we are not getting married in our respective home towns. Once church is booked looking forward to switching off for a few months. Hope the planning is going well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Deposit paid today! Venue and Church sorted! Very exciting!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

I got my dress yesterday and I'm so excited its made it feel so much more real now. Once Christmas is over its going to come around soooo quick ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Periwinkle!

Another 2017 bride here 😠will be viewing venues in January. Can't believe how many people have them booked all ready for so far ahead. Hope I won't be disappointed when I go looking. How have people found availability so far?

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Periwinkle, depending on when you are planning your wedding, 2017 ain't too far ahead!! I'm booked for March 2017 and when we booked we had 18 months which isn't a long time! I know once January is over it'll be all guns blazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Periwinkle!

ChewChew wrote: »
    Periwinkle, depending on when you are planning your wedding, 2017 ain't too far ahead!! I'm booked for March 2017 and when we booked we had 18 months which isn't a long time! I know once January is over it'll be all guns blazing!

We're planning on Feb 17. It's not going to be a huge event, more small and intimate so I'm not too stressed about the planning but a lot of dates are gone all ready at venues and even into 2018 so that is making me a little bit nervous. Ya after Xmas we need to get venue booked asap and it will be busy from then on.

I suppose people who are hosting larger weddings will have more to do and more to save. We're having approx 100 guests so to start the rest of the planning from March is my goal. Getting my venue and celebrant booked was hugely important to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭jellybear

Another 2017 bride to be here :) Engaged since August and so far have venue, humanist celebrant, band, dj, pre reception music, photographer, videographer, cake and bridesmaid dress sorted :) People keep telling me we're so organised but in a way you have to be as things book up so quickly!!
    Not planning on doing anymore until possibly Easter for dress shopping but may wait until Summer, we'll see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Redchairs

Hello ladies! I'm a 2017 bride too :) Eek, feels so exciting to say that. We're going for September. I honestly thought it was too soon to start booking although I've done plenty of thinking n planning! We did view our preferred venue a couple of weeks ago, mainly because it's slightly unusual n we wanted to make sure it'd be suitable. We want to have a small wedding and keep it to a small budget, hard to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Miss Merry Berry

Joining this thread as just got engaged last week. Looking at a summer or Christmas 2017 wedding. We have a baby on the way next summer so I don't want to think about the wedding just yet but we would love a small wedding, 50-60 people. We have 3-4 venues in mind, small and intimiate. Just really enjoying being engaged at the minute and spending time together during this magical time of year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Rorow

Hi Girls,
    Gosh some of you are so organised and some less but all very exciting and in the planning.

Were going to see our first and favourite wedding venue this week. I'm terrified it will all end up being out of our price range. Because I like it so much and haven't found another one similar to it. Its and all exclusive Country house. They are charging €85 a head for meal but not including wine that has corkage of €10 and €15 sparkling and there is a hefty venue hire that includes 6 rooms BnB for 2 nights. There is also a €400 bar extension charge. We want to have our ceremony at the venue and not sure of the cost of this yet.
    What is the usual haggling that can be done?
    I have some questions:
    - What venues have you girls looked at?
    - whats an average cost for humanist ceremony on site?
    - Is haggling on price per head a good option or do venues come down on corkage.

Any tips much appreciated x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

If you're going for a legal ceremony in your venue, it's a good idea to get a Solemniser booked once you know your date. There is a surge in demand for alternative ceremonies since the equality referendum, and supply of Solemnisers hasn't quite caught up with demand! Esp if you want a particular person, or are having a Saturday ceremony :)

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

Hi guys,

If anybody needs a wedding planner I would recommend Help Plan My Wedding. They planned my wedding in Ireland and my friend used them to plan their wedding in Rome. I had been looking for a suitable venue for a long time with no success. They found me the exact venue I wanted within 3 days of hiring them!! They also recommended great suppliers and got me some great deals. Would definitely recommend them. Their website is http://helpplanmywedding.ie/.

Best of luck with all the planning!!

Jer.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 traceystacey

Hi all. Getting married in March 2017. So far have the venue,celebrant, band&dj and hair and make up booked. Hope to have the photographer booked in the next few weeks.Planning on heading to the wedding fair in the Reds at the end of the month to see what else I can get sorted ����

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭hotmatottie10

another 2017 bride to be, Got engaged yesterday

another 2017 bride to be, Got engaged yesterday

Ahhh wow- CONGRATULATIONS!!!! G'wan, tell us the story!!! :-) xxx

We went to a few wedding fayres at the weekend and it made me realise we really need to get a move on with booking venues etc. A lot of the good bands and that were already booked up. We're looking at the 7th of July, 2017. Our favourite venue is free that day and they're going to close the place for us as we're going over the minimum spend for this. Our guest list has gone up to 80 and no more. I don't care if I end up insulting anyone, I only want my nearest and dearest there lol.

fannymagee wrote: »
    Ahhh wow- CONGRATULATIONS!!!! G'wan, tell us the story!!! :-) xxx

Bit of a whirlwind romance but he proposed at home with a beautiful speech and gorgeous ring and it was lovely.

Ive booked my venue and celebrant Im getting married in April 2017

Bit of a whirlwind romance but he proposed at home with a beautiful speech and gorgeous ring and it was lovely.

Ive booked my venue and celebrant Im getting married in April 2017

Ooh whirlwind... I'm intrigued! How whirlwind? (Sorry, I just love hearing the back story- it's my favourite part!)

fannymagee wrote: »
    Ooh whirlwind... I'm intrigued! How whirlwind? (Sorry, I just love hearing the back story- it's my favourite part!)
    we met online on a dating sight, our chats of sci fi had us hooked. We spoke a month before we actually met. We would speak for hours on the phone every night ( very old skool reminds me of the 90s) i think you could say we fell in love over the phone before we even met. Then we finally met and went on a couple of dates and became inseparable. Here we are 10months later. I know ive found my soulmate.

• Advertisement

we met online on a dating sight, our chats of sci fi had us hooked. We spoke a month before we actually met. We would speak for hours on the phone every night ( very old skool reminds me of the 90s) i think you could say we fell in love over the phone before we even met. Then we finally met and went on a couple of dates and became inseparable. Here we are 10months later. I know ive found my soulmate.

AWWWWW!!! Love it. When you know, you know :-)

Thats it Fannymagee. We both had decade long relationships previously so we know the ups and downs of stuff. And well i can honestly say i know what love is now!

How are the other 2017 brides getting on with booking bands and venues?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

2017 bride here too. Getting married in September. Want to keep it small and intimate. Venue is booked and meeting solemniser on Monday to discuss ceremony and pay deposit

Congrats everyone who is recently engaged :) we are booked for the march so not long till we'll be saying 'less than a year' :D we haven't done anything else so still have just the venue, celebrant, music and photographer sorted. My sister does floristry as a hobby so she's taken on that role! And I know an amazing baker who has done cakes previously for me so I'll get her too. That's it though. Don't think there is anything else I can do yet!

Thats great ChewChew.
    I also have my venue booked, Band i booked today also and my Celebrant booked.

Im so fussy about music so im over the moon with my Choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

When would you recommend booking a band and dress shopping?

Id book the bad asap. Dress shopping I'm leaving till about mayish

I suppose it depends when you're getting married but the really good bands were booked up for the entire of summer 2017 when we were chatting to them at the weekend. We only got engaged at Christmas so anyone who got engaged last summer will have a 6 month head start. My sister is getting married in July this year and she dress shopped in August '15. Some dresses can take 6-9 months to come in in your size, we were told. My sister's dress took about 6 months to come in. Then you need to get it altered which could take another month or two. I'm having a baby in August so all going well, I plan to seriously try get in shape straight away and dress shop around October. I might be being a little too optimistic though :)

Hey Irishgirl19 I would book the band asap, The orginal band i wanted was booked out but they sent me on a nice few links to recommended bands. I found an outstanding band from that list. They really vary in price and quality.

I havent given much thought on the dress, all i know is i have to lose a stone and i will happy. Maybe september october ill look. Seeing as wedding is april.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Lads ye have the heart out crossways in me, we've nothing booked. We kind just decided recently to actually get married in February(ish) 2017- were going to a couple of fairs of venues in the next couple of weeks so well just have to see what dates they have.

We know what we want though, so hoping we'll find it fast.

Am I being too optimistic???

Advertisement