Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

amazon fire 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

picked up 2 of the 4.99 cases in argos yesterday...lady said they sold/reserved 140 in TEN minutes. Even the staff couldn't get them. at 35 euro you cant go far wrong. you can hardly get a tablet from China at those prices!

also the cases look far more than 4.99 worth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭irishproduce

mrcheez wrote: »
    You can contact Amazon support who can remove the ads easily.

Also when adding Google Play to the device you can clear the ads:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-google-play-remove-lockscreen-ads-amazon-fire-tablet-without-root/

Gonna get one for the 6 year old. He has no tablet so probably time to get him one for some games.
    The idea of enabling a child setting appeals to me.
    Does this ad business and asking amazon to remove it do anything to that child facility do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Btw: when purchasing these off Amazon,

Can you avail of:
    Congratulations. Your purchase entitles you to £1.00/£2 credit to spend on movies and TV shows available to buy or rent on Amazon Video.

Or is it only available to UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

Is the 7 powerful enough to run Kodi (if I manage to put it on)?
    Was looking for hd8 but didn't go on sale on amazon and missed Samsung tab a 10.1 offer

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

Also which delivery provider is best if ordering it from amazon UK?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Is the 7 powerful enough to run Kodi (if I manage to put it on)?
    Was looking for hd8 but didn't go on sale on amazon and missed Samsung tab a 10.1 offer

Ran kodi no issues for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I see currys are selling it today for 39.99.
    Might be worth getting if you dont want to wait for delivery since Argos seems to be sold out now.

Would the Currys one be like the Argos one, i.e. without all the junk stuff on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nidom

Would the Currys one be like the Argos one, i.e. without all the junk stuff on it?

As far as I know, yep.

I think that I have found my fire for the little fella so!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

All of them are running just the Amazon OS so no bloatware at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Also which delivery provider is best if ordering it from amazon UK?

Its delivery included as its over £25. I ordered last night,not in stock until Dec 9th,got email saying expected delivery Dec 16th or 17th.Maybe order it soon if you want it before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

jonnycivic wrote: »
    All of them are running just the Amazon OS so no bloatware at all.

I think he means the ads you see when you lock the screen (which can be removed in a minute so not really a valid reason to dismiss the Amazon.co.uk-sold ones)

I think he means the ads you see when you lock the screen (which can be removed in a minute so not really a valid reason to dismiss the Amazon.co.uk-sold ones)

Yeah they all come with those ads but are disabled pretty quickly.

Has anyone put stock Android back on theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

And is it possible to upgrade them to Marshmallow 6.0?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Even without getting rid of them they are only on the lock screen and you don't notice them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Plan to do this shortly after mine is delivered on Wednesday. Apparently latest fire OS version is a little trickier to root/flash so plan on not letting it upgrade if it's not on there already. Will post back here when it's done.

digitaldr wrote: »
    Plan to do this shortly after mine is delivered on Wednesday. Apparently latest fire OS version is a little trickier to root/flash so plan on not letting it upgrade if it's not on there already. Will post back here when it's done.

Cool and include links to the guides you used pls

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

dont you just ring them up and they remove the ads there and then for you?

dont you just ring them up and they remove the ads there and then for you?

chat is easier (and cheaper)

• Advertisement

Here's how to ask them to remove the ads:

http://benbrausen.com/business/work-life/how-to-remove-ads-from-your-amazon-kindle-for-free

it's for Kindle, but same story

Anyone know if you can install Whatsapp on a Fire tablet fairly easily?

got mine tonight, wow, the amazon appstore is bad. will be putting the play store on asap, very poor range of apps compared to play

toby2111 wrote: »
    Its delivery included as its over £25. I ordered last night,not in stock until Dec 9th,got email saying expected delivery Dec 16th or 17th.Maybe order it soon if you want it before Christmas.

Plenty available now at checkargos now, as i had to wait to order it again
    Ran kodi no issues for me :)

Are there many apps in Kodi?

found these articles on adding the play store without rooting it (and possibly bricking it)
    http://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/
    http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2016/07/02/how-to-install-google-play-on-fire-tablets-the-super-easy-way-no-pc-or-root/

if you want to root it
    http://troypoint.com/how-to-root-amazon-fire-7-5th-gen-tablet-install-slimrom/

also

-Can run many 3D games surprisingly well. (Not blazingly fast on high settings like
    a premium tablet would, but fast nonetheless, guess it depends on what game we're talking about
    and how optimised it is.)

-Can run android PS1 emulators
    quite well on the right settings. (You may need a certain plugin, if I recall correctly.)

-Can run 2D emulators like Sega Genesis.

-Can connect a cheap (£1 - £3) OTG cable to be able
    to access SOME USB devices like flash drives, or an XBOX 360 controller, keyboard, etc.
    (But my graphics tablet does NOT work, can't confirm if it happens with other brands/models of graphics tablets.)
    My 2TB external hard drive also does NOT show up with OTG, unfortunately.

-Can run Kodi
    somewhat reasonably on SD and 720p or even 1080p but it really depends on how high the bit-rate
    of your video is, your internet connection speed, etc. (Loading your own videos seems to be quite fast.)
    You may need to periodically clear your Kodi cache though as it gets
    slow after accumulating a lot of cache files.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I do not think i would be keen on the play store. There are other good trusted stores that i would put on well ahead of google play, alternatively you can use sites like apkleecher and get the app.
    I am not worried about getting malware, others may so they might feel better if they read this. http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/android-app-stores/

Thanks for the helpful tips, but may i ask what's rooting, bricking it & i've heard Kodi has more uses than what it was meant for ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I expect my delivery tomorrow. Will be putting stock mdroid on it first thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I expect my delivery tomorrow. Will be putting stock mdroid on it first thing.

I got two for Christmas presents, can I ask how do you put stock android on them and how do you put Google play on it? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

now online wrote: »
    I got two for Christmas presents, can I ask how do you put stock android on them and how do you put Google play on it? Thanks

Seconded.

The two lads love Growtopia (don't get it myself!) but it's not available on Amazon afaik.

Advertisement