Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

amazon fire 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lemmno

Trying to figure out just how small this is compared to my iPad Air 2. I know the size, but I'm just trying to figure out if my mother would just think of this as a very large phone rather than a tablet! Is the 7 a struggle to browse on due to its size?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

~€35... just buy it. Keep it yourself if your mum doesn't want it (the ungrateful....!)

http://pective.com/pic/amazon-kindle-fire

https://www.piliapp.com/actual-size/ipad-air-2/

(sorry for the two different sites but these should give you a pretty accurate actual size comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lemmno

One makes a good point! I guess the brother may use it should she find it too small. She hasn't asked for it, she recently learned how to use a laptop and is loving the new world of browsing but it's an awful hullabaloo for her to get the laptop from its case, plug it in, wait for it to start, taking up half the dining table etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Soarer wrote: »
    Hope you don't have to return it.

Choice between Argos and the Post Office, I know where I'd rather be heading!

I get my Amazon deliveries to my parents place in the north.

Return via a pre addressed and paid for delivery sheet.

Returns is a doddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

The Argos version is better as the Amazon one is the special config with display adds
    £39.99 for the one Argos have on Amazon (without special config)

You can contact Amazon support who can remove the ads easily.

Also when adding Google Play to the device you can clear the ads:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-google-play-remove-lockscreen-ads-amazon-fire-tablet-without-root/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

godtabh wrote: »
    I also just bought one. No issues.

Mind has just shipped

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Might get one of these as a Chrimbo pressie. Is it true that some of the content/functionality of this is not available to Irish users?Or is there a way around that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

godtabh wrote: »
    Mind has just shipped

I think there are tablets for that

I'll get me coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

toby2111 wrote: »
    Might get one of these as a Chrimbo pressie. Is it true that some of the content/functionality of this is not available to Irish users?Or is there a way around that?

Its a big plus if you have access to a uk wifi - and have amazon prime (with prime etc) - however even without those - it is a perfectly serviceable tablet - definitely the best tablet for under a hundred euro.

We have had one in the house for the past year - and are getting two more this xmas.

The great thing is that at that price you don't have to worry about minding them too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

mrcheez wrote: »
    You can contact Amazon support who can remove the ads easily.

Also when adding Google Play to the device you can clear the ads:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-google-play-remove-lockscreen-ads-amazon-fire-tablet-without-root/

Amazon support are very good at sorting out things for you, but had a look at that link, looks difficult, but was it easy enough to sort out the ads, as i don't know how the other person i got it for, is getting on with it!
    septicsac wrote: »
    Anyone know how long te fire 7 will stay at this price, is it just for today or until monday? Been waiting to see would the hd8 go on sale, but no sign yet and have 2 fire 7's waiting to be checked out in Amazon for Xmas gifts. Bet the minute I order the 7's then then 8's go on sale:rolleyes:

Certainly a lot cheaper than last year, when i got one for €50, might get one myself, i could have sworn i saw them coming back next week on checkargos, as i have a voucher, but as you said how long will they stay at that price, maybe up until Cyber Mon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

Just picked up the fire HD8 on Amazon us for $59. Free shipping to brother in law who'll send it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Do these cause eye strain? Wife has a paperwhite but it's got a big white dot in the middle of it!

Do these cause eye strain? Wife has a paperwhite but it's got a big white dot in the middle of it!

I saw something on the description last nite, regarding Blue Shade:

But someone here may know more about it,

Hope that helps, in some way, as i'd like to know more too.

Blue_Shade_RET_BTF-banner-uk-1200x400._CB285887443_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Think the Amazon returns policy has changed. Previously any time I had to return something it was to the warehouse in Dublin. Two weeks ago I had to return something and it was a UK address I had to past to and pay postage myself which they would refund up to £8 of.

Someone else got stung trying to return a heavy item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

SachaJ wrote: »
    Think the Amazon returns policy has changed. Previously any time I had to return something it was to the warehouse in Dublin. Two weeks ago I had to return something and it was a UK address I had to past to and pay postage myself which they would refund up to £8 of.

I think it may be for items not sold by Amazon themselves, I had a ceramic money box arrive in tiny pieces yesterday, when I told them the price of postage was more than the value of the item they just refunded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I think it may be for items not sold by Amazon themselves, I had a ceramic money box arrive in tiny pieces yesterday, when I told them the price of postage was more than the value of the item they just refunded it.

Stuff I was sending back was sold and fulfilled by Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

d31b0y wrote: »
    Amazon are amazing for returns to be fair.
    They are, but for many it is handier to walk in to Argos and exchange it there and then.
    I find Amazon and Argos are two of the best for dealing with any issues.

I bought two of these from Amazon WHD Germany for 44euro + 14euro delivered last week. I will have to wait to see them.
    But considering it now nearly works out at the same price as brand new, I might have to consider returning them.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭The Gardener

I bought one earlier this year mainly for reading at night, as I only had the basic Kindle E-reader without a backlight. The blue shade function is very useful & certainly leads to less eye strain when reading in a darkened room, I would recommend it for this alone, apart from that it's brilliant little tablet for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Interrobang

SachaJ wrote: »

The only time I've had to return anything to Amazon Warehouse was recently, after they changed their returns process.

I ordered a large LEGO modular set, which was sold as Very Good and described as complete but with minor cosmetic damage to the box. What arrived was a battered, punctured box with a sticker slapped on it. I don't know what they were thinking - there was no packaging, just an address label stuck to the clearly identifiable box of a £100+ set! The box had been opened and resealed at both ends, and while the bags inside were sealed, some of them were missing.

Return postage was €34.60, which I paid myself. I was refunded £8.09 postage, but once I got on to customer service via chat support they refunded the remainder of the postage costs there and then. I had a receipt but they didn't ask for a copy. All done and dusted in a couple of minutes.

It was disappointing, but the item was a complete aberration in an otherwise brilliant history of Warehouse purchases, and reclaiming the additional return postage costs was quick and hassle free. I've bought heaps of other stuff, all of which has always arrived in excellent condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Props to Argos and boo to the guy who in the midst of a mix up by staff at the goods collection point managed to make off with my Fire 7 Tablet instead of the case he was meant to get.
    Had to wait while they looked at CCTV etc. and for my trouble and the time spent waiting they gave me a Fire 8 HD (worth €119.99) and €20 gift voucher.:)

• Advertisement

I bought one earlier this year mainly for reading at night, as I only had the basic Kindle E-reader without a backlight. The blue shade function is very useful & certainly leads to less eye strain when reading in a darkened room, I would recommend it for this alone, apart from that it's brilliant little tablet for that price.

There's a lot of info on Amazon i saw & that was one of them, i didn't know myself about that, but happy i did find it.

But is there somewhere for a parent to learn more about it, as i know little about them myself, but would find it hard to explain it to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

All that Blue light stuff is a load of nonsense designed to frighten people into buying specific products which offer protection from blue light!

BBCs Watchdog or C4 did a show recently showing the retailers like currys and dixons up for pushing sales of filters and products with heavily inflated prices due to having blue light filters built in.

It is a massive SCAM!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

sugarman wrote: »
    Specsavers and Boots were also on it, and issued a warnings for adding protection to glasses and contact lenses.

Specsavers weren't in on it, Vision Express were.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

zerks wrote:
    Props to Argos and boo to the guy who in the midst of a mix up by staff at the goods collection point managed to make off with my Fire 7 Tablet instead of the case he was meant to get. Had to wait while they looked at CCTV etc. and for my trouble and the time spent waiting they gave me a Fire 8 HD (worth €119.99) and €20 gift voucher.

Wow.

You lucked out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

foggy_lad wrote: »
    All that Blue light stuff is a load of nonsense designed to frighten people into buying specific products which offer protection from blue light!

BBCs Watchdog or C4 did a show recently showing the retailers like currys and dixons up for pushing sales of filters and products with heavily inflated prices due to having blue light filters built in.

It is a massive SCAM!

The eye health claims may be bogus but the blue wavelengths have a significant effect on melatonin production led backlights generally have a huge peak in the blue spectrum.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/blue-light-has-a-dark-side

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Ate they any good though? Ad ridden and hard wired to Amazon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Ate they any good though? Ad ridden and hard wired to Amazon ?

They are not a ridden , on the lock screen there is 1 ad, which most people certainly I don't notice. Just enter the unlock code and that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

If she does a lot of reading, I'd say grab another paperwhite while they're £80.

Reading on a tablet is not the same as a Kindle. Plus the weight of a tablet becomes a pain to hold vs a kindle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

foggy_lad wrote: »

It is a massive SCAM!
    It's Christmas just use some yellow Quality Street wrappers ;)

or any of the myriad apps that allow you to turn down the blue at bedtime https://justgetflux.com/ free for windows / linux / apple / android

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

What's the standby power duration like on these?

My iPad 2 can STILL stay on standby for 7-10 days before it needs a charge (even after 4 years)... same for these?

Advertisement