Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Madeleine McCann

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭micks_address

yaboya1 wrote: »
    In the last episode of the documentary when they're covering the media publishing her private diary without her consent, Kate describes herself as a "grieving mother". This was in 2011.

Anyone else find that strange?
    Well I guess she is grieving the loss of a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Phoebas wrote:
    Why presume it? Why not look up the accounts of the fund. Then you could post fact, rather than speculation.

Phoebas wrote:
    So can you throw up a link to the published accounts of the fund showing where it paid for the McCann's personal legal expenses?

Take your own advice prehaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Something Else
    SusieBlue wrote: »
    Did you even read those links before copy, pasting and dumping them into the thread?

They confirmed exactly what I said.

An exact quote taken from your post:

So no, as stated by your own link, they did not pay off their mortgage using the fund.
    Thanks for proving my point for me.
    I believe Susie’s point was that they didn’t pay off their mortgage with money from the fund; which your link confirms is the case. Paying a £2000 instalment with money given to you by public sympathisers, friends, family and maybe even contributed to themselves, at a time when they were not working is not something I personally consider to be outrageous or offensive. Also I don’t believe anyone has any right to judge or insist where the money should or should not go unless you yourself have donated.

Many thanks for clarifying this and in particular for putting the critical word "off" in italics to make clear that the key point being made is that the McCanns had "paid" the mortgage for their house worth half a million pounds from the fund established to find their missing daughter as opposed to having "paid off" the mortgage for their house worth half a million pounds from the fund established to find their missing daughter.

I sincerely apologise to SusieBlue for ignoring this in my post.

You see, I was concerned that there may be some people out there who might not have been attuned to this Vital Distinction and who might have read the statement that

"They didn't pay off their mortgage using the fund"

as meaning that the McCanns had not used the fund to pay for their mortgage at all!

I merely provided links clarifying that this was not the case in case anyone had been foolish enough to reach that conclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

She wandered out herself, something happened (car accident/paedo)
    Creol1 wrote: »
    Many thanks for clarifying this and in particular for putting the critical word "off" in italics to make clear that the key point being made is that the McCanns had "paid" the mortgage for their house worth half a million pounds from the fund established to find their missing daughter as opposed to having "paid off" the mortgage for their house worth half a million pounds from the fund established to find their missing daughter.

I sincerely apologise to SusieBlue for ignoring this in my post.

You see, I was concerned that there may be some people out there who might not have been attuned to this Vital Distinction and who might have read the statement that

"They didn't pay off their mortgage using the fund"

as meaning that the McCanns had not used the fund to pay for their mortgage at all!

I merely provided links clarifying that this was not the case in case anyone had been foolish enough to reach that conclusion.

It was you who originally said thank goodness they had their mortgage paid off,to which I replied that they didn’t use the fund to pay it off, if that was what you were implying.

Rather than reply to this, you instead dumped a load of links with hyperbolic fake news headlines such as ‘McCanns use 1m fund to pay off mortgage’ with absolutely no context.

Now you’re pretending you knew that and that was what you meant all along. Ok then :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Something Else
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    Fair enough. Just thought most people would associate grief with death.Agree that it's disgraceful the media ended up with (and published) her diary.
    The whole cat and mouse game played by the McCanns and the media was mostly destructive imo

The parents courted the press at the earliest opportunity. It was only a matter of time before the the press mob turned on them in search for anything which would sell either traditional or broadcast news stories whether they were made up of fact, half baked truths or wild imaginings.

And I do not accept they did this from a sense of desperation. They reaped what they showed. None of it benefited the victim imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

gozunda wrote: »
    The whole cat and mouse game played by the McCanns and the media was mostly destructive imo

The parents courted the press at the earliest opportunity. It was only a matter of time before the the press mob turned on them in search for anything which would sell either traditional or broadcast news stories whether they were made up of fact, half baked truths or wild imaginings.

And I do not accept they did this from a sense of desperation. They reaped what they showed. None of it benefited the victim imo.

The sad part is that Madeleine paid the price . Let down by many and almost forgotten in the frenzy
    Poor little mite

I've heard mention of a nanny as well. Did the mccanns have a nanny to mind the kids on holiday? I'm guessing not as otherwise she would have minded them while parents at dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 42 AwareWolf

Did any of you watch the documentary on Netflix, out about a week on the disappearance of Maddie?

AwareWolf wrote: »
    Did any of you watch the documentary on Netflix, out about a week on the disappearance of Maddie?
    No what's it's about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

I've heard mention of a nanny as well. Did the mccanns have a nanny to mind the kids on holiday? I'm guessing not as otherwise she would have minded them while parents at dinner

The nanny is the lady who worked in the kids club, who minded them during the day. One gave an interview a few years ago. Madeline wasn't in her group, but she looked after her and got to know her very well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 AwareWolf

sorry I posted before i finished. The child was collected from the day place at 6 and they went to dinner at 8, so if they killed her where on earth did they put her before raising the alarm a little later that she was missing?

They are odd alright, no doubt about it, strange reactions, but that doesn't mean they accidentially killed their child and covered it up.

I just can't see how they did it. After watching the doc on netflix as some one who was not convinced either way - Im thinking they've been through hell and back over this. If they did accidentially kill her then they've suffered, and if they didn't then they're suffering is compounded by the fact that a whole pile of time was wasted investigating them, instead of trying to find the child.

Criticisms of the group not having their stories straight as to who checked when - would you if you had a few drinks? (yes i wouldnt leave my kids either like they did, but would I remember who did what after a few drinks?? - NO)

criticism of how the parents were reacting - they were being coached in case there was an abductor, so you've to act a certain way on camera.... no one knows what advice they were getting in the immediate aftermath - and they weren't experts at this....

Criticism of their life style leaving the kids not giving a toss, wanting a holiday as adults - be under no illusion loads do this.... here in Ireland and the UK....(im not agreeing with it, but I'm saying it used to happen alot)

Questions about how the twins continued to sleep with all that was going on in the apartment, that they must have been sedated as they weren't waking etc....if im on holidays with my kids they are just flattened by evening time because of the new routine, holiday air, and so on....i could play the drums in my holiday house at night and they wouldnt hear me....some kids are like that.....mine are sound sleepers since they were born.

AwareWolf wrote:
    sorry I posted before i finished. The child was collected from the day place at 6 and they went to dinner at 8, so if they killed her where on earth did they put her before raising the alarm a little later that she was missing?

The McCanns went down to dinner at 8.35 according to the reported timeline not 8.

AwareWolf wrote:
    Criticism of their life style leaving the kids not giving a toss, wanting a holiday as adults - be under no illusion loads do this.... here in Ireland and the UK....(im not agreeing with it, but I'm saying it used to happen alot)
    Can't say I have seen this.
    AwareWolf wrote:
    Questions about how the twins continued to sleep with all that was going on in the apartment, that they must have been sedated as they weren't waking etc....if im on holidays with my kids they are just flattened by evening time because of the new routine, holiday air, and so on....i could play the drums in my holiday house at night and they wouldnt hear me....some kids are like that.....mine are sound sleepers since they were born.

Every child is different, you can't say the McCann twins would sleep through the commotion unaided just because you feel yours would. Plus Kate checking the breathing of the children suggests more than sound sleep tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

The McCanns went down to dinner at 8.35 according to the reported timeline not 8.

Mr and Mrs McCann left their apartment at 20:30 and headed to the restaurant....

Throughout the evening, adults from the group would leave at regular intervals to check on their children.

A member of the group - Matthew Oldfield - left at 21:00, shortly followed by Gerry McCann.

21:05 Gerry McCann checks on children

When he reached the apartment, he noticed the bedroom door was open wider than it had been left. On his return to the restaurant, he stopped to chat to a guest.

Matthew Oldfield also checked on the McCanns' apartment at about 21:30.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-24526934

Matthew must have horsed the food in to him between walks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

gozunda wrote: »

What would you have done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭tibruit

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Lets go back a bit now. Why are we even discussing this?

Because someone said her parents disposed of her by throwing her in the bin.

So by that logic, we can assume that whoever suggested that is stating what they themselves would do?

I`ve been saying it, not because I believe that`s what happened, but because it`s possible. It was my first contribution to this discussion and I said it because a few people, and I think you were one of them, kept spinning the line that the McCanns couldn`t have done it because they didn`t have the time or the opportunity. Well now you can see that they had and they only needed minutes. If you read my other posts however, you`ll see I`m on the fence about it all and tend not to partake in any of the juvenile bickering that prevails in this discussion.

I have kids. You said that because I`ve proposed this possibility, it must mean that I myself must be capable of dumping my child in a bin. Your logic is warped and twisted and I find your comment offensive. My kids were never abducted because whenever I went out to dinner, I had the good sense to hire a babysitter. I was in Pairc Ui Chaoimh in 88 to see Michael Jackson. At the time he was walking around hand in hand with little boys and most of us thought "God, isn`t he gas? Sure he`s a big child himself". How innocent we all were.

Since then a friend of mine has been sexually assaulted and almost murdered by a predator. A sports coach who supervised me in my youth has been revealed to be a serial sexual abuser of children in his care. Both these sickos were seen as pillars of society in their locality back in the day and are now back out on the streets. We live in a sick world folks and any of you still in the land of fluffy clouds and bunny rabbits who are looking at the McCann case and don`t want to consider the unthinkable a possibility, need to stop deluding yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The only certainty for me is that there is no certainty regarding who left for dinner and at what precise time, and who and when the group left the table mid sentence to check on the kids so methodically every twenty minutes or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

tibruit wrote: »
    Since then a friend of mine has been sexually assaulted and almost murdered by a predator. A sports coach who supervised me in my youth has been revealed to be a serial sexual abuser of children in his care. Both these sickos were seen as pillars of society in their locality back in the day and are now back out on the streets. We live in a sick world folks and any of you still in the land of fluffy clouds and bunny rabbits who are looking at the McCann case and don`t want to consider the unthinkable a possibility, need to stop deluding yourselves.

It’s for these exact reasons why I personally believe she was abducted. There’s a possible theory that she may have been watched by an organised sex ring and trafficked. What’s “fluffy clouds and rainbows” about that? The world can be a truly depraved place, we don’t even know the half of it. I don’t think anyone is stating the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Accident happened, parents hid body
    t’s for these exact reasons why I personally believe she was abducted. There’s a possible theory that she may have been watched by an organised sex ring and trafficked. What’s “fluffy clouds and rainbows” about that? The world can be a truly depraved place, we don’t even know the half of it. I don’t think anyone is stating the opposite.[/quote]

It is possible indeed but its very odd with all the money ,time.and experts.on this case that not one lead has ever arose ,.
    They have cracked multiple rings and not one person ever had info on Maddie , if u did it would be jail time cut no doubt ,

Also no image of her has ever been doscovered ,
    No ones ever ratted anyone out for cash , literally not a peep about her ,

It make me think if there was an abducter it had to be a lone wolf ,

Possibly. Still not a nice thought. Far from sunshine and rainbows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

t’s for these exact reasons why I personally believe she was abducted. There’s a possible theory that she may have been watched by an organised sex ring and trafficked. What’s “fluffy clouds and rainbows” about that? The world can be a truly depraved place, we don’t even know the half of it. I don’t think anyone is stating the opposite.

It is possible indeed but its very odd with all the money ,time.and experts.on this case that not one lead has ever arose ,.
    They have cracked multiple rings and not one person ever had info on Maddie , if u did it would be jail time cut no doubt ,

Also no image of her has ever been doscovered ,
    No ones ever ratted anyone out for cash , literally not a peep about her ,

It make me think if there was an abducter it had to be a lone wolf ,[/quote]

Exactly, I agree with this, I have never believed it to be a criminal ring as with these types of individuals their motivation is money and there were some huge rewards for anonymous tips yet nothing, I believe if indeed it was an abduction either A. A lone paedophile or B. Someone/A Couple kidnapping a child to raise as their own. There was an unusual sighting that night in praia da luz of a couple with a child bundled in a blanket caught in someones headlights and they appeared to be wanting to evade being seen, once again like so many other sightings we don’t know who these people were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

tibruit wrote: »
    I have kids. You said that because I`ve proposed this possibility, it must mean that I myself must be capable of dumping my child in a bin. Your logic is warped and twisted and I find your comment offensive.

I know that’s not what you meant, there’s no need to be offended.
    I was was explaining the reasons why I don’t think the bin theory is possible, and another poster said I was projecting my own thoughts and feelings onto what the McCanns might do.
    I said by that logic, you, as the person who first suggested the possibility, were also projecting what you would do in that situation onto the McCanns.

The point I was making was that none of us are projecting, we’re all simply speculating.
    It was interesting how it was only projection when I stated the reasons I didn’t think it was possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dave699

The parents did it
    The body not been found is what gets me.
    Surely means it was planned. Can't see anyone thinking clearly enough after an accident to get rid of a body in an area they don't know to well.

For me rules the family out. Don't see how they could have managed to get the body hid so well

I wonder is her eye defect something that might be considered special in some cultures/groups? I have no idea but it's certainly something that made her different

dave699 wrote: »
    The body not been found is what gets me.
    Surely means it was planned. Can't see anyone thinking clearly enough after an accident to get rid of a body in an area they don't know to well.

For me rules the family out. Don't see how they could have managed to get the body hid so well

I arrived at the same conclusion on similar grounds. If this had taken place on home soil in the UK in the comforts of their own familiar surroundings, I think I would have a lot more time and respect for some of the suspicious theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Calltocall wrote: »
    There was an unusual sighting that night in praia da luz of a couple with a child bundled in a blanket caught in someones headlights and they appeared to be wanting to evade being seen, once again like so many other sightings we don’t know who these people were.

Your absolutely right about that was at 6am a baker opening up maybe. They were crossing a road and looked like they really didn't want to be caught in his head lights. Must read more into that one.

Also was reading into the Clement Freud story. While its unlikely he's involved it's a awful strange quirk of fate a known pedo is inviting them round for lunch. Looks like his taking the piss for his own enjoyment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I always found this guys statement was very interesting

https://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/STEPHEN-CARPENTER.htm

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

I wonder is her eye defect something that might be considered special in some cultures/groups? I have no idea but it's certainly something that made her different

It also made her easily identifiable and a liability if she were abducted.

I’m guessing it’s not something that was noticed as she was sleeping or in the dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Your absolutely right about that was at 6am a baker opening up maybe. They were crossing a road and looked like they really didn't want to be caught in his head lights. Must read more into that one.

Yes it was unusual, I hope the current investigation is thoroughly investigating this one along with at least three others, although with it being 12 years later I don’t hold out much hope however all the sightings should be given weight until the can definitively rule them out, there were a lot of red herrings such as Murat, The Russian man and imo the Mccanns which exhausted the investigators time and resources but when you take a step back and try an gain an overview you think hang on a second why the hell didn’t they investigate these other sightings/suspicious activity The Charity Collector, The Carol Tranmer Sighting of a blonde man acting suspiciously at the mccanns apartment gate on the day it happened, I mean jesus christ that certainly warranted an efit but nothing was put out there, at the time the focus went from Murat to Mccans and these others weren’t given enough creedence

Something Else
    Ok I'll add some once of thoughts. But I dont really wish to get into reply ping pong tbh. But here goes.

A number of posters here have forwarded the view that they timeline as given by the Tapas7 isn't worth the cover of the Activity book it was scribbled on. Significantly official police independent witness statements appear to blow large gaping holes in it and the testimonies of the group members have so many crazy and more importantly unexplained inconsistencies as to make it largely useless imo.
    They are odd alright, no doubt about it, strange reactions, but that doesn't mean they accidentially killed their child and covered it up.

The corally of that is that could have "accidentally killed her and covered it up" . Presently we have 5 main scenarios on the go. Some are more controversial than others tbh.
    I just can't see how they did it. After watching the doc on netflix as some one who was not convinced either way - Im thinking they've been through hell and back over this. If they did accidentially kill her then they've suffered, and if they didn't then they're suffering is compounded by the fact that a whole pile of time was wasted investigating them, instead of trying to find the child.

The thing is that no official investigstion has said 'they did it' tbh. The Portuguese police investigation came to the conclusion it was an accidental death. Operation Grange which appears to keep the McCanns off limits to any investigation tbh holds to investigating only a possible abduction afaik. The first three months of the Portuguese investigation also worked on the basis it was an abduction before the behaviour of the parents led the police to believe that the parents may have tried to conceal the accidental death. Shortly after that the parents were made suspects and they up sticks and left Portugal...
    Huge amounts of time and money have been wasted by Private Investigators employed by the McCanns and who in the main have turned out to be a big shower of eejits.
    Criticisms of the group not having their stories straight as to who checked when - would you if you had a few drinks? (yes i wouldnt leave my kids either like they did, but would I remember who did what after a few drinks?? - NO)
    See above
    Criticism of how the parents were reacting - they were being coached in case there was an abductor, so you've to act a certain way on camera.... no one knows what advice they were getting in the immediate aftermath - and they weren't experts at this....

There are some interesting professional opinions available on this whether you take them board or otherwise. Its peculiar if they were doing what they were advised regarding acting a certain way on camera - cos they sure seemed to ignore other advice such as releasing and publishing information about the child's eye condition which many believe could have endangered her life if she was still alive. Imo even many years later they still come across as odd. But there you go
    They may do but it doesnt make it any more excusable one way or the other tbh.

It was the parents who first raised the idea the kids had been sedated even though that wasn't communicated to the police until later. The parents had the twins eventually tested months after the disappearance of Madeleine from the apartment in Portugal. Funnily enough nothing was found...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Nah, can't see it. Would have to be the most opportunist crime of the century if it was a lone wolf imo.

Unless all the documented checks are complete and utter lies, in which case the timeline as reported is essentially useless.

Two or three involved is my thinking. A spotter, possibly even an employee of the restaurant (but doesn't have to be).

I wonder were all the diners interviewed by the police, not just the Mc Canns and their party.

I also presume the rental records of each apartment in that area were checked and people interviewed, likely sites for a spotter.
    Someone fixing their bike or car or just wandering around would be remembered too easily in the aftermath.

I’m guessing it’s not something that was noticed as she was sleeping or in the dark.

And in the cases of missing people,

Police ask for description of the person along with any distinguishing marks on that said person.

IE Birthmarks, scars, tattoo's etc

As in Amber Alerts in the USA

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Calltocall wrote: »
    Yes it was unusual, I hope the current investigation is thoroughly investigating this one along with at least three others, although with it being 12 years later I don’t hold out much hope however all the sightings should be given weight until the can definitively rule them out, there were a lot of red herrings such as Murat, The Russian man and imo the Mccanns which exhausted the investigators time and resources but when you take a step back and try an gain an overview you think hang on a second why the hell didn’t they investigate these other sightings/suspicious activity The Charity Collector, The Carol Tranmer Sighting of a blonde man acting suspiciously at the mccanns apartment gate on the day it happened, I mean jesus christ that certainly warranted an efit but nothing was put out there, at the time the focus went from Murat to Mccans and these others weren’t given enough creedence

If you do dig out something on that sighting post it. I unearthed nothing. Where did it get mentioned, was it the documentary?

Something Else
    dave699 wrote: »
    The body not been found is what gets me.Surely means it was planned. Can't see anyone thinking clearly enough after an accident to get rid of a body in an area they don't know to well.

Not necessarily. The tragic case of Aisling Syms in New Zealand who wandered away is one case in point. A childs body can remain hidden even when an area has been searched.

The other is that someone may just have been 'lucky' or acted out of impulse. Theres been cases of people murdered and disposed in areas where the perpetrator did not know well. Much of it is down to the chance and not making mistakes imo

Necro wrote:
    Unless all the documented checks are complete and utter lies, in which case the timeline as reported is essentially useless.

The Smith sighting claims the man carrying the child was headed to the beach. One of the senior police officers suggested the body may have ended up in the nearby sea caves. These afaik were never searched.

OwlsZat wrote: »

Have a read of this ;)
    Having viewed recent news footage of Mrs McCann I am now almost certain that she is the female I described as being in a distressed state.

I say this because of her slight build, high cheekbones and her eyes and hairstyle.

I've agonised for days over whether or not to contact the police about this because it is a terrible thing to accuse somebody of.

It had just not crossed my mind that the childs parents could in some way be involved in her disappearance.

I have watched a good deal of news coverage about the McCanns over the past week or so.

Another thing which has played on my mind is the coverage of Mr McCann walking off the aeroplane holding one of his young children.

The way he was holding the child over his left shoulder reminded me of the man carrying the child from the white van in Portugal.

Although I could not describe the male I'd seen in Portugal because he had his back to me.

it was the particular way Mr. McCann held the child that made me think.

He held the child over his left shoulder with his left arm supporting the child?s weight.

LINK http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/RI_Mc.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭maebee

https://www.babygaga.com/wheres-madeleine-mccann-15-shocking-things-you-didnt-know-her-disappearance/

"The morning after Madeleine had disappeared, the family was contacted by Yvonne Martin back in England. Martin was a worker for child protection services in England, and wanted to offer any and all assistance she could.

Martin found herself very confused when Kate proceeded to tell her that Madeleine had been abducted by a couple. Why would she tell her this? It was literally only hours after Madeleine disappeared. There was no leads, theories or speculations yet. There was no evidence at this point that Madeleine had been abducted by anyone yet, much less a couple."

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/YVONNE-WARREN-MARTIN.htm

"- However, the third individual overheard this conversation and interrupted Ms. Martin and took the McCann couple away from her.
    This same individual came shortly afterwards to tell her that the couple did not want to talk to her any further and did not require her help - an action that appeared quite strange to her."

Yvonne Martin appears to want to help the McCanns but they don't want her help. Very strange.

• Advertisement

maebee wrote:
    Martin found herself very confused when Kate proceeded to tell her that Madeleine had been abducted by a couple. Why would she tell her this? It was literally only hours after Madeleine disappeared. There was no leads, theories or speculations yet. There was no evidence at this point that Madeleine had been abducted by anyone yet, much less a couple."

The night of the disappearance Kate was heard saying 'they've taken her'.
    There is an expression, repeat a lie often enough it becomes accepted as truth.

The Smith sighting claims the man carrying the child was headed to the beach..

Martin Smith said
    He is not aware where this person was headed. He only saw him as they passed each other.

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/MARTIN_SMITH.htm#p6p1611

Aoife Smith (tail end of the group) said
    She did not see if the referenced individual with the child descended Rua das Escadinhas or if he continued along Rua 25 de Abril.

Yvonne Martin appears to want to help the McCanns but they don't want her help. Very strange.

Kate’s take on that:
    A middle-aged British woman lady suddenly materialized beside me and introduced herself.
    She announced that she was, or had been, a social worker or child protection officer and insisted on showing me her professional papers, including, I think, her Criminal Records Bureau certificate.
    She asked me to sit down on a low wall, plonked herself next to me and told me she wanted me to go through everything that had happened the previous night.
    She was quite pushy and her manner, her very presence, were making me feel uncomfortable and adding to my distress.

David was standing nearby.
    Concerned he took me aside and pointed out that we didn’t know who this woman was or what she was doing there. He reassured me that I wasn’t obliged to speak to her if I didn’t want to. And I didn’t want to.

Whoever she was, and whatever her credential were, it was an inappropriate intrusion.

And something about it, something about her, just didn’t feel right.

I was glad I extricated myself. This woman would pop up several times in the days and months to come and I still don’t really know who she is or what she was trying to achieve

Can’t say I blame her for being sceptical of a total stranger, and a pushy one at that. What kind of power did Mrs Martin believe she had that could have helped them?

Kate’s take on that:
    A middle-aged British woman lady suddenly materialized beside me and introduced herself.
    She announced that she was, or had been, a social worker or child protection officer and insisted on showing me her professional papers, including, I think, her Criminal Records Bureau certificate.
    She asked me to sit down on a low wall, plonked herself next to me and told me she wanted me to go through everything that had happened the previous night.
    She was quite pushy and her manner, her very presence, were making me feel uncomfortable and adding to my distress.

David was standing nearby.
    Concerned he took me aside and pointed out that we didn’t know who this woman was or what she was doing there. He reassured me that I wasn’t obliged to speak to her if I didn’t want to. And I didn’t want to.

Whoever she was, and whatever her credential were, it was an inappropriate intrusion.

And something about it, something about her, just didn’t feel right.

I was glad I extricated myself. This woman would pop up several times in the days and months to come and I still don’t really know who she is or what she was trying to achieve

Can’t say I blame her for being sceptical of a total stranger, and a pushy one at that. What kind of power did Mrs Martin believe she had that could have helped them?

Maybe it's just me but if my daughter was in the hands of an abductor I'd be taking help from whoever was offering it.

maebee wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but if my daughter was in the hands of an abductor I'd be taking help from whoever was offering it.

It’s all relative I suppose. I can’t say I would be divulging details to a pushy stranger who felt entitled to know everything out of sheer nosiness, and I don’t blame Kate for being cynical in the slightest. She embarked on her mission based solely on her own authority, she wasn’t enlisted by anyone. I think that’s completely unprofessional and strange.

"David was standing nearby.
    Concerned he took me aside and pointed out that we didn’t know who this woman was or what she was doing there. He reassured me that I wasn’t obliged to speak to her if I didn’t want to. And I didn’t want to"

Even more strange.

http://gerrymccan-abuseofpower-humanrights.blogspot.com/2016/09/is-dr-david-payne-formerly-of-leicester.html

"She (thought) she had seen that friend of the McCann’s before. Then, she seemed to remember the name and where she knew him from. (As) it transpired later, David Payne had been reported in England as suspect of inappropriate behaviour towards children!"

• Advertisement

Something Else
    maebee wrote: »

The other consideration that as professional Kate should I would have thought welcomed the help of another professional. Especially one who was also British and had established her bonafides as someone in worked in the area of child protection.

Either way I reckon she was correct to warn Kate about speaking to the media imo. Pity she didn't take that advice ...

It’s all relative I suppose. I can’t say I would be divulging details to a pushy stranger who felt entitled to know everything out of sheer nosiness, and I don’t blame Kate for being cynical in the slightest. She embarked on her mission based solely on her own authority, she wasn’t enlisted by anyone. I think that’s completely unprofessional and strange.

A pushy stranger who identified herself with her credentials?

A pushy stranger who identified herself with her credentials?

She was a stranger to Kate? She got an off feeling about it and listened to it. She is a social worker, she’s not in the industry of finding missing children.

No doubt if she had accepted her help it would instead be used as a rod to beat them with and the narrative “why were they accepting the help of random strangers who don’t have any experience with finding missing children”, as is par for the course with others they enlisted.

She was a stranger to Kate? She got an off feeling about it and listened to it. She is a social worker, she’s not in the industry of finding missing children.

She was a professional who identified herself, interesting that she recognised David Anthony Payne from the course of her work.

She was a professional who identified herself, interesting that she recognised David Anthony Payne from the course of her work.

When someone identifies themselves to you for the first time they’re still a stranger. She was a stranger, and Kate decided to decline her pushy and entitled requests. I don’t blame her for that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement