Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Surprised Shane Ross isn't there trying to lift the cup! :pac:

Dont be daft, he only goes to airports, the rest of the time he is dining out at the private restaurant in The Dail with his political fwiends, oh fwiend..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Shemale wrote: »
    Dont be daft, he only goes to airports, the rest of the time he is dining out at the private restaurant in The Dail with his political fwiends, oh fwiend..

No, remember when her caught his tie in his zipper at the Aviva (sorry Lansdowne Road stadium, I hate that corporate name )

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Surprised Shane Ross isn't there trying to lift the cup! :pac:

He stayed at home paying with his new scalextric car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭jmreire

He stayed at home paying with his new scalextric car.

Hurling??? It's just not cricket, old chap......:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Kerrigan said that Fine Gael had contempt for the public and wondered must Fine Gael call personally to every door in the country and punch the occupants in the face for them to get the message

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2019/08/22/eamonn-kelly-forget-them-not/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Idbatterim wrote: »
    In Germany, they are addressing the rural broadband problem wirelessly. If it’s good enough for them and that country is far better run with far greater minds. Then I’m sure it’s good enough for this rock!

I did like your post because I think it's half right but I live in a village where my phone can say 4G and I still have to go upstairs to google something and yet walk 100m up the road and I'm flying so I just don't see how wireless is going to work in Ireland. If 4G is no use how is 5G going to be any better?

I could be wrong now because I'm not very techy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Ten Pin wrote: »

I urge everyone interested in the circus FFG and heed the 2nd paragraph. We, the electorate. must NEVER forget JM, AF and the way LV handled theMB charade.

And if we succeed then we can call Eamonn Kelly a liar lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

pinkyeye wrote: »
    I did like your post because I think it's half right but I live in a village where my phone can say 4G and I still have to go upstairs to google something and yet walk 100m up the road and I'm flying so I just don't see how wireless is going to work in Ireland. If 4G is no use how is 5G going to be any better?

I could be wrong now because I'm not very techy. :D
    5G requires a lot more masts and functions at much higher frequencies.

That broadsheet article is very true.. It is depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I urge everyone interested in the circus FFG and heed the 2nd paragraph. We, the electorate. must NEVER forget JM, AF and the way LV handled theMB charade.

And if we succeed then we can call Eamonn Kelly alias lol
    Well, he's right about the amnesia. Let's see how the electorate responds when they get to choose between competing electoral promises. I actually think the card SNAFU/GUBU is a bigger issue because it speaks directly to government management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well, he's right about the amnesia. Let's see how the electorate responds when they get to choose between competing electoral promises. I actually think the card SNAFU/GUBU is a bigger issue because it speaks directly to government management.

No. Sadly we're use to FF/FG making a hames of such things at a loss to the tax payer.
    The bailey swing incident has personality. It's about a person and the party that backs her, a leader that allows her be. A lot more weight than the latest government screw up. We grudgingly like cute hoors not self entitled chancers caught out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No. Sadly we're use to FF/FG making a hames of such things at a loss to the tax payer.
    The bailey swing incident has personality. It's about a person and the party that backs her, a leader that allows her be. A lot more weight than the latest government screw up. We grudgingly like cute hoors not self entitled chancers caught out.
    I don't think she'll be on the ticket, either by choice or by design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Kerrigan said that Fine Gael had contempt for the public and wondered must Fine Gael call personally to every door in the country and punch the occupants in the face for them to get the message

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2019/08/22/eamonn-kelly-forget-them-not/

Not a chance in hell I'll forget .

And if we succeed then we can call Eamonn Kelly alias lol

The "Baileygate" will not be forgotten..it's like a lightening rod for everything ffg is being held responsible for. Marie is a clearly identifiable person, and not just "The Gubermint" ....Not only will it not be forgotten, in all likelihood, it will get worse the nearer we get to an election. And to think that she was the chair of the Ethic's committee as well...the mind boggle's!! No it wont be forgotten, not by a long chalk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I just saw this headline on the Mail on Sunday.

"Maria Bailey kept her job after sacking"

You really have to wonder how much damage Fine Gael are willing to accept here. The whole story sums up the disdain they have for the electorate.

https://twitter.com/IrishMailSunday?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

You really have to wonder how much damage Fine Gael are willing to accept here. The whole story sums up the disdain they have for the electorate.

https://twitter.com/IrishMailSunday?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
    It is not doing the reputation of politics in this country any good. In the UK people resign over much smaller matters.
    I suppose when Haughey and Bertie and Cowen and higher up people get away with crazy going on, so should Bailey.

The question is "WHY"? There is something else going on here......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Her "sacking" was merely window dressing, leo telling the world he had demoted/removed her from a 10k per annum position, while she was still being paid for not having to do the job?

Leo and FG are laughing at us taxpaying plebs - I repeat that it is in my opinion that Leo and the upper echelons within the FG Party are scared shytless of Bailey and what dirty secrets she knows.

Proof once again that money means everything to her.

Here is the paper for anyone that hasn't read it - https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/the-irish-mail-on-sunday/textview

Written by a FF senators Spouse, but nothing in it incorrect.
    MARIA BAILEY ‘KEPT HER JOB AFTER SACKING’
    Taoiseach failed to tell Oireachtas of her demotion

SWINGGATE TD Maria Bailey’s removal from the Housing Committee chair was declared a ‘shambles’ last night, after a series of key blunders were confirmed by the Oireachtas.

Despite Leo Varadkar declaring, on July 23, that Ms Bailey was no longer suitable to chair a committee – because of her attempt to sue the Dean Hotel after falling off a swing – the Oireachtas has confirmed that neither the Taoiseach nor Ms Bailey notified it, at the time, of any change to her status.

At that stage it was only announced that Ms Bailey was to lose the chair of the Housing Committee, with no mention of the two other chairs she held – the Members’ Interests

Committee (the Dáil ethics watchdog) and the Working Group of Committee Chairs. The Working Group is a gathering of Oireachtas chairs designed to aide the committee system. The Interests Committee is extremely important. It oversees ethical standards and has the powers to hold disciplinary hearings.

A spokesman for An Taoiseach last night would not say – despite answering other queries from the Irish Mail on Sunday – whether or not Mr Varadkar knew about the other two chairs held by Ms Bailey, when he announced her demotion. But a senior Fine Gael party official confirmed that he personally had not been aware of her membership of the Interests’ Committee, with internal party speculation rife that the other two committees had caught the leadership off guard, leading to a subsequent rearguard action.

Speaking at the time of her sacking, Mr Varadkazr made no mention of the other roles, saying she made ‘numerous errors of judgment in her handling of the matter’ and her ‘approach jars with that of a Government taking action to reduce personal injury payments, claims and insurance costs to people and businesses’. He also said: ‘For these reasons, I am demoting her and removing her as chairperson of the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Housing.’

It emerged this week that

She only officially resigned on August 16..............

...........At that stage, payroll for the month had been completed, and she was paid a pro-rata part of the €9,500 annual stipend for a chair role she was no longer meant to have, the Oireachtas confirmed. When she became aware that she was overpaid by almost €179 in July, she offered to refund the balance.

The Oireachtas spokesman told the MoS: ‘The Oireachtas received no notification from the Department of the Taoiseach that the Taoiseach had removed, or decided to remove, Deputy Bailey from any position.

‘Deputy Bailey did not resign from any Oireachtas position on July 23, nor was she removed from any Oireachtas position on 23rd July or at any other time.’ So she would have continued to receive all correspondence and advantages going with the job until August 16, when her resignation occurred.

She did cede her right to two weeks’ extra pay she would have been entitled to, the spokesman said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The Members Interests committee which deals with ethics and discipline has met only four times in two and half years

They must be all perfect school children so :pac:

From the same article
    Mattie McGrath, a member of the Interests Committee, said last night that Mr Varadkar had presided over a ‘complete shambles’ and handled the affair ‘abominably’.

The TD said: ‘He doesn’t know how to handle situations, he drifts along, it’s all about spin, he’s been found out now, he just can’t handle anything. And Fine Gael now know they picked the wrong man, they should have picked Coveney, because Coveney understands work and meetings and making arrangements.

‘Varadkar is just a showman. They know it now.’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Lol at Mattie McGrath sticking the boot into Leo, you know things have gone to pot when Mattie McGrath comes across as the voice of reason.

So Maria Bailey was on two committees and Leo, her boss, is claiming he didn't know about it. Thats just sheer incompetence right there, how can he be so clueless as to what work his own TDs are doiing?

https://twitter.com/IrishMailSunday/status/1165390829269262336

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Lol at Mattie McGrath sticking the boot into Leo, you know things have gone to pot when Mattie McGrath comes across as the voice of reason.

So Maria Bailey was on two committees and Leo, her boss, is claiming he didn't know about it. Thats just sheer incompetence right there, how can he be so clueless as to what work his own TDs are doing?

I'd say it's a struggle to get a glass of water in Leo's house.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

So was she actually overpaid, and if so has she paid it back?

Such a simple task to sack someone and he even messes that up. If he cant even get that right how can he be trusted to run a country

BaZmO* wrote: »
    So was she actually overpaid, and if so has she paid it back?

The article says she offered to pay it back but doesnt say that she actually did pay it back. More shenanigans from Maria, she has been caught offside yet again. She also didnt resign until August 16th despite Leo telling us all that she resigned on July 23rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Blanc von lobster

The article says she offered to pay it back but doesnt say that she actually did pay it back. More shenanigans from Maria, she has been caught offside yet again. She also didnt resign until August 16th despite Leo telling us all that she resigned on July 23rd.

Maybe he told her to start clearing her desk and to finish off what she was doing on July 23rd and it took her till August to do so. It's the only (almost) plausible explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Issue statements and tell the world she was demoted but keep her on the payroll.

I'd be interested to know if her replacement had been updated on the payroll systems from the offset.

Suckit wrote: »
    Here is the paper for anyone that hasn't read it - https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/the-irish-mail-on-sunday/textview

Written by a FF senators Spouse, but nothing in it incorrect.

When Kenny came into power one of the first things he spouted was doing away with excess jobs in the government.

Yet reading this article makes me wonder just how many bloody committees/tribunals etc there are? This ( afaiaa ) all FUNDED BY THE TAXPAYER.

Totally crazy stuff!!!:confused:

Such a simple task to sack someone and he even messes that up. If he cant even get that right how can he be trusted to run a country

2 worded answer: HE CAN'T!!!

• Advertisement

Oh and for those who said this thread would die during the summer? Summer's nearly over, 633,394 views and 8,731 messages.

One get's the feeling there is so much more to be revealed over this charade, and I think this government might even fall over this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement