Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

I can see a split forming within the party over Bailey, and there's not a man woman or beast is going to convince me that Leo is backing her to the hilt just because he's a good lad altogether, rather than because of Bailey's aforementioned thinly veiled threat to spill the beans.

Josepha my dear, keep the head down.

I'd say she has lots of beans to spill as well. It would be my guess that the the Oulad, rip, left her a nice fat file with a lifetime of collected beans to be used when the time was right. A little insurance you might call it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Suckit wrote: »
    But it was still sold/released. Isn't that the main objection with GDPR?

If the bar was in the US then maybe, but it's not..

Who is he going to sue? they could say the video was lost....someone robbed it etc..

The Dean are in a more problematic area now as she will knows they have it etc....if it gets out she will sue for loss of earning etc and she would win....if anyone else had it then it would be out already......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

banie01 wrote: »
    I've said it else where on this thread.
    Based on their policies and leaders, voting SD should be a no brainer.

Unfortunately for the party, their standard of candidate is fairly low and tbh the standard of their canvassers and social media support is shockingly poor.
    I would say that a lot of us would have voted for SD, but then they ran an asylum seeker for a council seat who was publicly out-ed for lying on her application, and then the same liar got leave to remain recently mostly likely due to running for SD.

Their leadership should change dramatically before they are looked upon as a viable option in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Kivaro wrote: »
    I would say that a lot of us would have voted for SD, but then they ran an asylum seeker for a council seat who was publicly out-ed for lying on her application, and then the same liar got leave to remain recently mostly likely due to running for SD.

Their leadership should change dramatically before they are looked upon as a viable option in the future.
    Had they started the party with a goal and actually been Social Democrats rather than a disgruntled ex-minister and two Indos clubbing together to get up to 7 TDs for Dail speaking time they would have got more credence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

is_that_so wrote: »
    Had they started the party with a goal and actually been Social Democrats rather than a disgruntled ex-minister and two Indos clubbing together to get up to 7 TDs for Dail speaking time they would have got more credence.

Not how Irish politics works though. If the PDS had started out as a bunch of political novices with the same ideology they would probably never have got anywhere. SDs needed two established left-wing TDs at their core to get off the ground. Given that those two are both of mature years though, IMO the party will have to built on that core at the next election if they are to have a long-term future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not how Irish politics works though. If the PDS had started out as a bunch of political novices with the same ideology they would probably never have got anywhere. SDs needed two established left-wing TDs at their core to get off the ground. Given that those two are both of mature years though, IMO the party will have to built on that core at the next election if they are to have a long-term future.
    The PDs were in a very different time and peopled with smart and astute politicians. They also knew that they had a base they could tap into. None of that applies to the SDs. The fact is minor parties have a limited shelf life in Irish politics and I'd expect the SDs to go the same way in due course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

is_that_so wrote: »
    The PDs were in a very different time and peopled with smart and astute politicians. They also knew that they had a base they could tap into. None of that applies to the SDs. The fact is minor parties have a limited shelf life in Irish politics and I'd expect the SDs to go the same way in due course.

Fair point. Brings us back to the dyed in the wool civil war party members and their lack of ethics. If your members can do no wrong you never face consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,570 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Interesting one. He could be setting the scene here.

That's a vote of no confidence if ever I saw one. From a senior minister too.

The questions will keep coming which will annoy Fine Gael TDs no end and Hide-and-Seek Madigan will have to come out of her bunker some time.

Well I'll say one thing for him...
    At least he got his sporting analogy correct ;)
    No chance of him straying offside!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Kivaro wrote: »

Yeah they got my vote last time and I had high hopes. When I saw that they have the same old tolerance of dishonesty within their own party as the rest I switched away from them in the locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

mickdw wrote: »
    He is certainly overseeing a shambles in terms of children's hospital and worsening health service generally by the day however from speaking to people who meet him regularly where he speaks publically, they say he is a brilliant speaker and can effortlessly talk at length across a broad range of topics. That is likely the skill he has and has made the most of it.
    Doesn't make him fit for purpose though.

It's an ability to talk ****. Great for buying time. However his brief is to make things happen and hold people accountable. Utterly failing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Does any body know the address for her TD address,
    when i search for it, it detects me to the FG pary HQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

46k views..

Good to see this stay relevant so long.

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/1162073011769491463?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

It’s hilarious that the mb pisstake, is the straw that broke the camels back on far more serious issues like their utter failure on housing , health , infrastructure etc ...

This issue won’t go away , that’s the level of disgrace that the attempted fraud is. Usually something can be swept under the rug here in a few days !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Simon Harris displaying ambitions of being Taoiseach. What the **** is the basis of that?

He is overseeing a shambles.

His own narcissism

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Funny how this point of view goes out the window when it comes to Brexit from so many Irish people.

What makes me laugh is the people protesting Brexit the most are the **** nuggets that weren't arsed voting, it's their fault, not the no voters

Shemale wrote: »
    His own narcissism

Narcissism? He’s not a patch on varuccar!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Idbatterim wrote: »
    It’s hilarious that the mb pisstake, is the straw that broke the camels back on far more serious issues like their utter failure on housing , health , infrastructure etc ...

This issue won’t go away , that’s the level of disgrace that the attempted fraud is. Usually something can be swept under the rug here in a few days !

From that list, there isnt 1 that rings home to basically everybody here.
    If you have a house, you dont care about the housing crisis too much
    If the last time you saw a doctor the years were still starting with 19... you dont care too much about the mess in the HSE.
    For most people things only become important when they are actually dealing with it.

Insurance is something that probably 90% of the people are at least once a year dealing with. I think most of the people had at least once in their lives a moment of ... well, i guess i could claim this and then thought the better of it and let it go.

And then Maria Baliey with her 2 bottles and a swing enters the arena. Needing supervision and guidance for a swing that, lets be honest, doesnt really swing.

One thing surprises me though. The cctv recordings of the event not on the surface (yet) i can understand that. But as far as i understand, that swing set up is there in that hotel so people can take pictures pretending they have a fantastic time.
    So why arent there any pictures from Bailey on her arse made by spectators out?

It's not the Maria Bailey incident on its own. The MB was just something that finally killed off any remaining respect the general population had for FG....

The utter contempt that MB had for everyone apart from herself. The sweeping under the carpet by that clown Leo. The constant stream of lies coming from everyone in FG....

THis was all on the back of the hospital, BB etc....I was talkign to a UK consultant yesterday and it came up about BB in Ireland and the 2-3 billion. He was literally in tears listening to it all.

Give them a billion and they would have the whole thing done in 12 months and have a 50% profit margin. It's a joke.

So if MB story was on its own would nayone care? no.....it was onthe back of all the other f**k up's by Leo and his crew

In Germany, they are addressing the rural broadband problem wirelessly. If it’s good enough for them and that country is far better run with far greater minds. Then I’m sure it’s good enough for this rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

In Germany, they are addressing the rural broadband problem wirelessly. If it’s good enough for them and that country is far better run with far greater minds. Then I’m sure it’s good enough for this rock!

A friend of mine in Rural Austria said they were doing the same thing there and it worked very well.

However, I would note that ze Germans are not always as logical and efficient as you might think, so I wouldn't take it for granted that it's a better way of doing things. That said, given that the Irish govt track record of screwing stuff up is pretty good, then I would expect that most other options to our current plan could be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

She even made an appearance at the Durrow Scarecrow Festival :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Settlement patterns / population distribution tends to be very different in Germany. Population is more tightly clustered around urban areas and villages with little dispersed population in the countryside in between. Here there is a large, widely dispersed rural population. This has a significant impact on the cost and how services are delivered.

The idea that Naughton or any adult with half a notion about conflict of interest thought it was fine to avail of a few free dinners from someone vying for a contract you have sway over is ridiculous. However this is Fine Gael. Fianna Fail would have been wide enough to deny it to the hilt. But that's down to FG arrogance. They really are making Fianna Fail look viable. I can see FF getting more support next election.
    Well done Enda the waster, (of opportunity to 'change the way we do business') and Leo the sub caretaker taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Shefwedfan wrote: »

THis was all on the back of the hospital, BB etc....I was talkign to a UK consultant yesterday and it came up about BB in Ireland and the 2-3 billion. He was literally in tears listening to it all.

Give them a billion and they would have the whole thing done in 12 months and have a 50% profit margin. It's a joke.

Give who a billion and they'd have what exactly done in 12months with a 50% profit margin?

If you are suggesting that "some consultant" in the UK can provide nationwide broadband in Ireland for the intervention area for 1b in 12months someone is deluded.

And all the calls to "do it wireless" are misguided technically, budgetary, and time wise.

I believe a lot of the flack FG are receiving in this thread is fair with the exception of BB. It's something that they have done well on - all things considered.

boombang wrote: »
    A friend of mine in Rural Austria said they were doing the same thing there and it worked very well.

Wow!
    So thats 1 person in Aus that rates the massive cockup that is NBN somehow successful. There can't be many.
    In fairness though the plan started off well, then was watered down through successive changes of government to a point where they kind of forgot what they were trying to achieve.

ArrBee wrote: »
    Give who a billion and they'd have what exactly done in 12months with a 50% profit margin?

If you are suggesting that "some consultant" in the UK can provide nationwide broadband in Ireland for the intervention area for 1b in 12months someone is deluded.

And all the calls to "do it wireless" are misguided technically, budgetary, and time wise.

I believe a lot of the flack FG are receiving in this thread is fair with the exception of BB. It's something that they have done well on - all things considered.

Denis Naughton dining with someone vying for the contract? Denis O'Brien's conglomerate getting the contract? This all seems 'done well'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

ArrBee wrote: »

Denis Naughton dining with someone vying for the contract? Denis O'Brien's conglomerate getting the contract? This all seems 'done well'?

It's the tax payer that's getting well done.

b
    boombang wrote: »

However, I would note that ze Germans are not always as logical and efficient as you might think, so I wouldn't take it for granted that it's a better way of doing things. That said, given that the Irish govt track record of screwing stuff up is pretty good, then I would expect that most other options to our current plan could be better.

I live in an area which is in the broadband exclusion zone. My parents and rest of family also do.

I still have internet TV and netflix, so do rest of my family.Hardly ever watch "normal" tv

Solution, well it is a magical thing called a 4g router sitting in a window with powerline adapters to boost. It cost me a massive 100 quid for the whole setup.

Most people wouldn't even need the powerline adapters.

To set up a proper 4g atenna and router in each house would cost what 500 quid in equipment and 500 quid in services? have done for less than 5 million

* would need to keep a million for people walking into the ladder while the lads are installing......also maybe 500k for someone to stand beside the ladder supervise it....you never know, Maria might be about.....think of the damage if she fell off a ladder

TBH, I'm not familiar enough with the makeup of the conglomerate to know how invested DOB is.
    And I don't fully know what advantage may have been gained by McCourt when dinning with Naughton.
    I still believe its possible, probably even, there was a harmless naivety to those dinners. But I would also believe that there was potentially more to it.
    Despite that, Eir came back with a similar cost to NBI and then pulled out of the process hoping to play silly buggers with the process.

although it's not signed yet, the govt seems to be staying the course to provide something that is needed at a cost that holds up when compared to other tenders and other countries.
    For me the outcome is what I think is progressing well.

I for one am glad they are not seeking to water the requirements down and that they can see this as an infrastructure for the future.

Oh, and for disclosure, As happy as I am with the BB progress, on it's own it wouldn't be enough to support FG.
    This whole MB episode has opened my eyes a great deal.

Anyway...
    Back to Bailey. She's some piece of work!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    b

I live in an area which is in the broadband exclusion zone. My parents and rest of family also do.

I still have internet TV and netflix, so do rest of my family.Hardly ever watch "normal" tv

Solution, well it is a magical thing called a 4g router sitting in a window with powerline adapters to boost. It cost me a massive 100 quid for the whole setup.

Most people wouldn't even need the powerline adapters.

To set up a proper 4g atenna and router in each house would cost what 500 quid in equipment and 500 quid in services? have done for less than 5 million

* would need to keep a million for people walking into the ladder while the lads are installing......also maybe 500k for someone to stand beside the ladder supervise it....you never know, Maria might be about.....think of the damage if she fell off a ladder

That's very shortsighted, yes 4g is ok at the moment once you live in an area where there are not too many people trying to connect to the mast.

In rural areas that currently have Eir FTTH 1 Gbps is available with the possibility to upgrade the infrastructure to 10Gbps in the future. As faster internet becomes available application will be designed to use more data, what can people on 4g do when 1 - 10 Gbps becomes standard?
    The National Broadband Plan is desperately needed to prevent a digital devide between different areas in the country.
    Insurance cost is a big problem for many businesses but no so much in the telecommunications industry. The main thing holding back the NBP is incompetence when it comes to planning, the telcos have no problem insuring their workers and still turning a profit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement