Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Anyone else think the Indo may leak another nugget of info relating to this saga come Sunday?

That would keep the story trundling on into the month of September, just in time for the parasites returning from summer recess.

There's definitely more stuff to leak. No idea if the indo have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    There's definitely more stuff to leak. No idea if the indo have it.

If there wasn't, the media would let it die as a story. It's been drip drip for most of the summer. .definitely hasn't gone away .or been buried.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Hopefully one of the papers will get a hold of the cctv.
    I know the indo have been good at leaking this, but will wait to see if they can or will go all out with details.
    Previous owner gone, and they may have an axe to grind, Still unsure as to how much details they actually have.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Timing of that article is hilarious.
    FG obviously see nothing wrong with this just that she was caught

The more things change etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

There's something very elitist about referring to your own behaviour as being "beyond reproach" when it very clearly has been anything but.

She's in my constituency and I think I regretfully gave her 3rd preference vote last time out, she'll be rock bottom of my ballot next time out for sure. FG have made an absolute cat's arse of this whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

404 page not found here lads.

Yeah still there dunno what is wrong with the original link.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/i-think-shes-paid-the-price-minister-madigan-says-she-is-beyond-reproach-following-maria-bailey-swinggate-saga-38440731.html

Why does Madigan feel she is beyond reproach as to her actions in her role as a solicitor, while simultaneously being a backbencher TD?

Last time I heard anyone refer to anyone elses actions as being beyond reproach was to do with Martin Callinan.

How'd that deck of cards play out can anyone recall?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Garth Brooks wrote a song about bailey and Madigan once. 'I've got friends in low places'.

Beyond reproach...my arse.

Edit.; are we really to believe that these pair haven't spoken since May ?

• Advertisement

Interesting though, I was wondering if the Indo would print something relating to this debacle this weekend to set the whole thing off again only a few hours previous, and low and behold it's off again. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/i-think-shes-paid-the-price-minister-madigan-says-she-is-beyond-reproach-following-maria-bailey-swinggate-saga-38440731.html

Finally they found this summer's hide-and-go-seek champion! The compo culture minister herself!
    Ms Madigan said she has not spoken to her fellow Fine Gael TD since the story emerged in May.

Wow, that's hard to believe but harsh if true!
    ...but whether she runs or not really it’s up to her and possibly up to Fine Gael itself.”

They are abandoning Bailey for sure.

Madigan is running scared too. She is hiding loads. I expect this to run and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/i-think-shes-paid-the-price-minister-madigan-says-she-is-beyond-reproach-following-maria-bailey-swinggate-saga-38440731.html

Finally they found this summer's hide-and-go-seek champion!

Wow, that's hard to believe but harsh if true!

They are abandoning Bailey for sure.
    That's just Madigan doing a version of what O'Dowd did, taking a step away. What she's suggesting are the outcomes predicted for quite a while.

is_that_so wrote: »
    That's just Madigan doing a version of what O'Dowd did, taking a step away. What she's suggesting are the outcomes predicted for quite a while.

Totally different. Fergus O'Dowd did not provide legal advice to Maria Bailey on the highly likely fraudulent insurance claim.
    Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said Minister for Culture Josepha Madigan gave “initial legal advice, guidance and assisted Deputy Bailey with her Personal Injuries Assessment Board (PIAB) application”. Ms Madigan practised as a solicitor until 2017.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/josepha-madigan-needs-to-clarify-her-involvement-in-maria-bailey-case-says-martin-1.3965396

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Totally different. Fergus O'Dowd did not provide legal advice to Maria Bailey on the high likely fraudulent insurance claim.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/josepha-madigan-needs-to-clarify-her-involvement-in-maria-bailey-case-says-martin-1.3965396
    In a political context there is no difference.

Yes but I don't think reporters will keep hounding Madigan for her views. They want the truth...;)

You're having a laugh, if bailey can be believed, she pursued the claim based on legal advice given to her by Madigans.

Again, if she can be believed, she only finds herself in her current predicament due to the legal advice received.

What Madigans doing now is trying to distance herself from her own actions. Hardly comparable with O'Dowd now, let's get real here and stop with the disingenuous impartial observation nonsense.

I know if I see a doctor, I follow his diagnosis and treatment recommendations. Madigans trying to walk away from the dung heap she had a part in creating, her hands are covered in dung but she's trying to protest they're both clean.

As for not having spoken to Bailey since May?

Get. Up. The. Yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

You're having a laugh, if bailey can be believed, she pursued the claim based on legal advice given to her by Madigans.

Again, if she can be believed, she only finds herself in her current predicament due to the legal advice received.

What Madigans doing now is trying to distance herself from her own actions. Hardly comparable with O'Dowd now, let's get real here and stop with the disingenuous impartial observation nonsense.

I know if I see a doctor, I follow his diagnosis and treatment recommendations. Madigans trying to walk away from the dung heap she had a part in creating, her hands are covered in dung but she's trying to protest they're both clean.

Get. Up. The. Yard.

EXCELLENT post Johnny!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Story is ramping up again. It's being timed with the return of the Dail. Some smooth operator is orchestrating this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Get. Up. The. Yard.

And really it's not hard to believe, that's what law firms do. They smell blood a mile away, and when I say blood I mean moooonay

• Advertisement

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/paschal-donohoe-refuses-to-say-if-he-supports-swinggate-td-maria-bailey-running-for-fine-gael-in-election-38441872.html
    Paschal Donohoe refuses to say if he supports 'swing-gate' TD Maria Bailey running for Fine Gael in election

The knives are out.
    "I'm not going to comment on what her future intentions will be until I've had an opportunity to talk to her about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Says she hasn't spoken to her since May?? That's definitely not true. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Lads, you all really are getting worker up about nothing. Very poor analysis by people here. Who was it who said this is a bigger issue than brexit. Jesus. Get a grip.

A deal/agreement has been reached with Bailey. She's not running in the next GE, she will be looked after in another way. I haven't been told exactly how but I suspect a state board appointment... Won't be a seanad seat.

Madigan has been cleared. She doesn't have to say anything due to client confidentiality. Her seat is safe anyway so there is no worries. She can always claim she gave advice based on what Bailey told her. Based on that info she believed there was liability.

The mckillans are no fans of FG but they know what side their bread is buttered on. Pressup stand to lose a lot from not just FG of they meddle in affairs like this. They will keep their head down (as they have through the whole affair). There will be no CCTV.

I'm March people won't know who Marie Bailey is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Says she hasn't spoken to her since May?? That's definitely not true. :rolleyes:

The more they open their gobs, the more they are backing themselves into a corner.

Let them continue, because eventually LV WILL have to act, & then the public will see just how weak he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Lads, you all really are getting worker up about nothing. Very poor analysis by people here. Who was it who said this is a bigger issue than brexit. Jesus. Get a grip.

A deal/agreement has been reached with Bailey. She's not running in the next GE, she will be looked after in another way. I haven't been told exactly how but I suspect a state board appointment... Won't be a seanad seat.

Madigan has been cleared. She doesn't have to say anything due to client confidentiality. Her seat is safe anyway so there is no worries. She can always claim she gave advice based on what Bailey told her. Based on that info she believed there was liability.

The mckillans are no fans of FG but they know what side their bread is buttered on. Pressup stand to lose a lot from not just FG of they meddle in affairs like this. They will keep their head down (as they have through the whole affair). There will be no CCTV.

Quality ethics.
    Madigan and Bailey get looked after by Leo 'people who like to get up early' Varadkar. There was me thinking it related to looking after people who worked hard not 'our own'.

Not to worry Paddy, nobody will forget. Her career will only be kept alive by FG in house cronyism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Quality ethics.
    Madigan and Bailey get looked after by Leo 'people who like to get up early' Varadkar. There was me thinking it related to looking after people who worked hard not 'our own'.

Not to worry Paddy, nobody will forget. Her career will only be kept alive by FG in house cronyism.

I don't agree with it for what it's worth.

But to be fair she's suffered quite a lot. She's taken it all on the chin and despite her stupid decision to go on SOR without a media briefing, she's kept shtum since. If she's not rewarded in some way then there is no incentive for party members to toe the line in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Did they not think for a minute "if the electorate found out I fell off a swing with a beer in my hand and tried to claim damages with another td representing me" wtf were they thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So she didn’t try to defraud a hotel by making a fake claim then?
    That might not be forgotten come March.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

In March people will be very aware of who MB is, the mishandling has been phenomenal and they managed to get the story to run for months instead of a week or two. Any time an insurance story comes up between now and the election it will be a reminder of MB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I'm willing to bet a weeks wages that this thread is still going come election time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement