Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Against the head

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Quinlan is bigging up his buddy. Rather idiotically it must be added. I would say he's bringing down the standard of rugby journalism in Ireland, but sadly that's not true.

There is not a single rugby reason why ROG should tour with the Lions (or, for that matter, any non-rugby reason) - and he won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

leftleg wrote: »
    jm08 im getting serious deja vu from that statement. Weve been here before on this subject. And if i remember right and if im reading right, he wanted and needed to be close to his family, ie he felt he had taken his international career as far as it could go and was at the tail end of his career and wanted to let the younger talent ie ROG come through. He never refused to play for Ireland.

Its a bit of a fudge for you to twist this to suit your own agenda re ROG, do you not think

Just a point of order on Humphries, a main catalyst for his retirement was one 6N where he was in the squad for every game but didn't get off the bench even once. It's completely understandable why he retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

danthefan wrote: »
    Just a point of order on Humphries, a main catalyst for his retirement was one 6N where he was in the squad for every game but didn't get off the bench even once. It's completely understandable why he retired.

I agree, even he could see he was passed it. My point is he never "refused" to play. Actually if i remember right, his words were more to the tune of me "ill play if you need me, just call if you need me". How that is deemed a refusal is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

leftleg wrote: »
    I agree, even he could see he was passed it. My point is he never "refused" to play. Actually if i remember right, his words were more to the tune of me "ill play if you need me, just call if you need me". How that is deemed a refusal is beyond me.

I don't think anyone (including me) said he refused to play - I said he refused to sit on the bench - and he had good reason - being away from his young family.

Now why would you think O'Gara would want to sit on the bench?

(By the way, Humphreys didn't say he would make himself available - if he did, he would have been brought out to the world cup in '07.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

jm08 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone (including me) said he refused to play - I said he refused to sit on the bench - and he had good reason - being away from his young family.

Now why would you think O'Gara would want to sit on the bench?

(By the way, Humphreys didn't say he would make himself available - if he did, he would have been brought out to the world cup in '07.

Fair enough, apologies for taking you up wrong jm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Quinlan is bigging up his buddy. Rather idiotically it must be added. I would say he's bringing down the standard of rugby journalism in Ireland, but sadly that's not true.

There is not a single rugby reason why ROG should tour with the Lions (or, for that matter, any non-rugby reason) - and he won't.

Haven't been following this thread, am only copping now that Quinlan suggested that O'Gara go on the Lions tour.

I'm actually in shock; I was starting to think Quinlan was improving but that is laughable. I'd say O'Gara himself would be embarrassed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Haven't been following this thread, am only copping now that Quinlan suggested that O'Gara go on the Lions tour.

I'm actually in shock; I was starting to think Quinlan was improving but that is laughable. I'd say O'Gara himself would be embarrassed by it.

Ya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

If he wasn't embarrassed by the massive self-serving whine "I'll be finished with Ireland in a few weeks," i.e. 'Pick me or I'm off.' Any other international coach would have handed him his 'plane ticket home after that. Then there was the "I'm playing above international level," designed to do one thing only - persuade his mate, Deccie, to keep him around for another load of years. Didn't he say he would stay on until he was 37 at least? If none of the above doesn't make him think he's a t*at then he won't be embarrassed by this. Sadly, he would actually be an embarrassment as we saw on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

He said he'd play til he was 40. Although that was obviously a defensive jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

anyone watch against the head tonight -

had me in stitches

The presenter - O'Brien , totally putt his foot in it :-

Unlike Donal, the modern player likes to chill out with 2 bags of Coke , woops 2 bottles

The re-action of Jennings was priceless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭homecouldbhere

thebaz wrote: »
    anyone watch against the head tonight -

had me in stitches

The presenter - O'Brien , totally putt his foot in it :-

Unlike Donal, the modern player likes to chill out with 2 bags of Coke , woops 2 bottles

The re-action of Jennings was priceless

Lol. Yeah just watched it meself on the player. The way Jennings turns to Quinlan and repeats: "Hahaha...2 bags of coke".
    Gave O Brian no chance of just carrying on as if nothing happened!!! :):):)

Listening to Alan Quinlan is really driving me up the wall. Its just cliche after cliche. Lots of words come out, but very little is said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Listening to Alan Quinlan is really driving me up the wall. Its just cliche after cliche. Lots of words come out, but very little is said.

Hard to disagree with this. Think he's getting these gigs based more on him being 'camera friendly ' and being able to pronounce his 'th's than providing any unique insight. (Into anything at all!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

He says sensible things now and again, but most of us have learned to stare at the wall behind him and ponder what we're having for dinner whenever he opens his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

19543261 wrote: »
    He says sensible things now and again, but most of us have learned to stare at the wall behind him and ponder what we're having for dinner whenever he opens his mouth.

It's like listening to the 'most Boring Priest In The World' from the Father Ted Xmas special

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

ATH is a great programme on the whole. They mix up the pundits so that if you arent a fan of anyone if particular you will see an alternative view the following week.

The background features can be very good, the one on the national scrum development programme a few weeks back was excellent, as was the interview with Nucifora.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Larbre34 wrote: »
    ATH is a great programme on the whole. They mix up the pundits so that if you arent a fan of anyone if particular you will see an alternative view the following week.

The background features can be very good, the one on the national scrum development programme a few weeks back was excellent, as was the interview with Nucifora.

They may change the pundits, but I still have to look at Daire O'Brien every week...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Bring back Joanne Cantwell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

its_phil wrote: »
    They may change the pundits, but I still have to look at Daire O'Brien every week...:(

his "go easy" at the end raises my blood pressure every time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

his "go easy" at the end raises my blood pressure every time

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ah now, go easy on Daire, he's our Inverdale.

He must be favourite to take over from McGurk on the big show too, no? Although with no AI's they wont need a new anchor until Feb 16.

I wouldnt like to see Joanne back. A very good presenter, but i never heard a thing because of her eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Ah now, go easy on Daire, he's our Inverdale.

He must be favourite to take over from McGurk on the big show too, no?

No. Oh please God no....

oh-please-god-no-o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

wprathead wrote: »
    Bring back Joanne Cantwell!!

Please no I couldn't stand her.

there must be someone else out there other than Daire and Joanne?

And not that blondey guy who does the soccer now either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Please no I couldn't stand her.

there must be someone else out there other than Daire and Joanne?

And not that blondey guy who does the soccer now either.

Tá Maire Treasa ó TG4 ceart go leoir dom! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

RTE should hire Isabelle Ithurburu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Oui oui. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭theboy1

Bit surprised by the opinions of others on here,I think Daire O Brien is one of the best presenters currently at RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

She can present the show in French for all I care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

OMG I'm in love

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,014 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Daire O'Brien, from what I've seen of him anyway, is awful. He interrupts his guests far too often and treats an interview more like a dinner conversation. If he could tone it back and make it less about him he could be acceptable.

Advertisement