Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Wanted to get a dashcam for the Karoq but didn't want anything too obvious on the glass so did a bit of hunting for OEM style ones and found these - IRO Dashcams. A bit on the dearer side for it's specification but the integration and ease of install (direct to ODB) is ticking all the boxes for me. I took a punt and went for it, should be here in 1-2 weeks. Any have experience with them? Available for tonnes of models (even Tesla).

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000256868810.html

H68bf10ac24de4b3a8099cc5f8965c994y.jpg

H597f9e81a9eb4a00b28963a20f55dd0fI.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I might be over cautious, but I wouldn’t be in favour of permanently powering something off the OBD live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

iHungry wrote: »
    Is it ok to take the car out for a spin to keep the battery charged up.

If that's ok how long would i need to drive it for? Cheers

If not using disconnect the battery.

If you have a charger take it out and put it on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Ah lads don't ruin my buzz :P the device auto powers off if it detects the battery level go below 11.5 volts, the ODB port adapter also only uses a few pins. Good reviews (mainly from Tesla users) so I'll be careful and report back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Isn’t it a bit of a sickener the timing for the fuel prices dropping. All that cheap petrol and nowhere to go. I know in the grand scheme of things it’s pretty small but still feels like your missing out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

CIP4 wrote: »
    Isn’t it a bit of a sickener the timing for the fuel prices dropping. All that cheap petrol and nowhere to go. I know in the grand scheme of things it’s pretty small but still feels like your missing out.
    I'm saving money if anything, car hasn't needed diesel in 4 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Where would I get a headlight bulb for reasonable price would anyone know ?

The kick in the hole is it's a D1S bulb as in Bi-xenon. So pricy. And it seems to be the one that has the cube base on it that doesn't separate from the bulb itself. Image attached

Currently one blown so last thing I want really going through several checkpoints is that to drag unwanted attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cheapest will probably be online but will take the longer to arrive.

https://www.powerbulbs.com/store/category/xenon-hid-bulbs-d2s-d2r-d1s-d1r/fitting/d1s/sort/price_low_high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

bazz26 wrote: »

I'd be happy to buy online if it was only a few days, would that website be trust worthy in your opinion ?

I was looking at another UK website hids-direct.co.uk but never heard of them

To be honest ive never bought a HID bulb in my life , this car just happened to come with them factory fitted

Powerbulbs.com are around for years.

Another one here:
    https://www.hids4u.co.uk/d1s-xenon-hid-bulbs/
    e
    Just make sure you get the right colour temperature, normally OEM is around 4300k. The higher the colour temperature the bluer the light is. Might be worth buying a pair over just one as the other existing one will probably fail soon enough too. At least if you buy a pair you will have a matching set colour wise.

• Advertisement

I was going to buy a pair to be honest anyway so the color would match and sure the old working one can act as a spare.

Thanks for those two, I'll buy from there now and hopefully won't be too long waiting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Bought from powerbulbs myself from time to time. No problems. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

joujoujou wrote: »
    Bought from powerbulbs myself from time to time. No problems. :)

I’ve bought from both of them with no issue. I can’t remember which one it was but last time I ordered they were selling the bulbs cheaper via their amazon store so search amazon too just in case.

Cheers for that lads, I ordered to OE spec bulbs last night.

33% off for ordering two together so ended up 40quid all in for a pair delivered which im happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

Those who have time off work, do ye have any car-related plans?

Planning on giving the car a full exterior clean tomorrow - haven’t polished or waxed a car since August.

Although there is no where to drive, at least it will look nice in the driveway :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Murt102 wrote: »

Planning on giving the car a full exterior clean tomorrow - haven’t polished or waxed a car since August.

Although there is no where to drive, at least it will look nice in the driveway :o

You'll hate me for this but being a mechanic I'm enjoying my time away from cars, so much so that I've started restoring a classic steel frame bicycle. :pac:

Yes, that's right, I bat for both teams!:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,209 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Now I'm no mechanic, but in my currently abundant spare time (due to WFH) I hat to watch endless youtube car channels and caught up on f1 streaming of classic races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

ELM327 wrote: »
    Now I'm no mechanic, but in my currently abundant spare time (due to WFH) I hat to watch endless youtube car channels and caught up on f1 streaming of classic races.

This is the perfect time to buy another stupid American car, sight unseen on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Murt102 wrote: »

No time off here, but now the weather has warmed up must do a job on the car, need to get the time.

IMG-20200409-152704.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

My own car is covered in dust but has been put to one side as I'm doing a paint correction on a "new" black Peugeot 207 my dad bought recently. The paint was very dull but thanks to Menzerna FG400 followed by 3500 it's coming up a treat.

One of the front headlights has a crack in it and is filled with condensation. Bumper needs to be removed to take the light out. I'm going to have to separate the lens from the rest of it and remove the moisture and polish the oxidised plastic on the inside. That's going to be fun :rolleyes:

I have an Insignia booked in for a paint enhancement, a Range Rover for a full correction and a 1990 BMW 635CSi for full paint correction also. Free time to relax? Naahh!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Well, it's not all bad. This is my insurance company.
    https://www.kens5.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/usaa-to-refund-520m-to-members/273-92716eb6-8185-4407-a7ea-740589b74cc2

USAA says it will return about $520 million in car insurance premiums to customers.

The company says the refund is due to less driving because of the coronavirus-related "stay home" orders. The company said in a press release that data shows members are heeding the calls to stay home in order to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

Any members with an auto insurance policy in effect as of March 31, 2020, will receive a 20 percent credit on two months of premiums in the coming weeks.

I figure that's at least $150 back in my pocket.

No fear of similar happening here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Anyone know of a better alternative to the normal plastic disc holders? Constantly curling and warping so I’m after something solid. I’m amazed they’re not easier to find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Maybe something like book covering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Anyone know of a better alternative to the normal plastic disc holders? Constantly curling and warping so I’m after something solid. I’m amazed they’re not easier to find.

Position it at the top of the windscreen and it wont peel as much. Also be careful when you’re putting new discs in, if you stretch it it’ll start peeling.
    Dealz holder is €1.50, just change every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Went through my first Garda checkpoint tonight on the way home from work at 8pm. I obviously had a better excuse than the person in front of me as they were being talked to for a good few minutes and I was only asked two questions and they were nice about it.

My dad has a longer commute to work he went through 5 checkpoints...

You would definitely be at nothing going anywhere this weekend in a car without a good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

And that's exactly as it should be.

I am normally utterly opposed to this level of Government/Garda intervention in our lives, but it's absolutely necessary and valid right now. The science on social distancing and staying at home (except for frontline workers of course) is as clear as night follows day.

If we decide to flout the rules, we're just prolonging the misery for us all, and causing people to unnecessarily contract the virus, or worse still, die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'd even like to see phone companies giving data, stamp out the drugs trade while they're at it....

Wishful thinking.....

Fcuk all them plicks out that shouldn't be, just have some respect for others as one day you will be old too and I'm sure you won't want to die premature by not able to breath and in pain....

It's so sad .

Went through my first Garda checkpoint tonight on the way home from work at 8pm. ...........

Same as me today, first checkpoint on way to work, 8am. They had it in great spot, roundabout, stopping everyone..... One exit to Maynooth/M4 and they were there all day. Presumably weekend away folk were advised to foooook off home for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

L-M wrote: »
    Any more pics of the SL? Looks amazing

Cars and coffee 1.jpg

2013-05-31-471.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

051.jpg

237.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement