Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running issues specific to women

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭3boyz

Hi ladies, looking for advice for good running bras. I did dcm last week and ended up with a mastitis type breast infection. My baby is 10 so I really wasnt expecting anything like this! I think it was caused by not having a supportive enough bra, being small chested I thought any sports bra would be fine, but apparently not.

Anyway I want to get a decent bra so that I can get back out running. I had a quick look in marks and debenhams the other day and they had a fairly good selection of high support bras. Is there anywhere else or anywhere better that would be good to go to get fitted and with a good selection? I was thinking if I get correctly fitted and try one out from a local shop then I could buy more online.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Shock Absorber Ultimate Run.
    Try on in Elvery's for size, then shop for better value online.
    I got mine on doctor's orders. Best advice ever. They're fab :)

DBB wrote: »

Brilliant DBB, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

3boyz wrote: »
    Hi ladies, looking for advice for good running bras. I did dcm last week and ended up with a mastitis type breast infection. My baby is 10 so I really wasnt expecting anything like this! I think it was caused by not having a supportive enough bra, being small chested I thought any sports bra would be fine, but apparently not.

Anyway I want to get a decent bra so that I can get back out running. I had a quick look in marks and debenhams the other day and they had a fairly good selection of high support bras. Is there anywhere else or anywhere better that would be good to go to get fitted and with a good selection? I was thinking if I get correctly fitted and try one out from a local shop then I could buy more online.

Did not know this was remotely a possibility! Hope you are feeling better.

*runs out to buy better sports bras

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

DBB wrote: »

This one is great for anyone smaller than around a G cup. For the not-huge-chested, the Brooks ones are pretty good too (they bought out Moving Comfort) and the Juno is very popular in the C-E cup range.

• Advertisement

Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    Did not know this was remotely a possibility! Hope you are feeling better.

*runs out to buy better sports bras

I know, I was expecting sore legs, black toe nails but not this:pac:

This one is great for anyone smaller than around a G cup. For the not-huge-chested, the Brooks ones are pretty good too (they bought out Moving Comfort) and the Juno is very popular in the C-E cup range.

Thanks i hadn't come across these I'll add them to the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

Has anyone got low iron/haemoglobin? I'm a regular blood donor, last donated in June and my hb was 12.5 so I was only barely eligible. I went back last week, my fingertip reading was 11.6 and my venous blood was 11.4 so I'm excluded for 6 months now. I don't bleed monthly (mirena) so can't blame that. The nurse said people who play sports often have low iron so I'm guessing it's that. I take floradix and vitamin c when I think of them and have a reasonably balanced diet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip off. I ordered a pair of leggings as love those side pockets.

Peachy Lean have the side pockets and are an irish brand. I'm not associated with them but I do love their leggings. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I live in shockabsorbers but I've ordered a Syrokan because they look similar. Will update when it arrives as to whether it's any good.

It is coming from China (if people have issues with that) but it's about half the price of the shockabsorbers normal sale price so I reckon it's worth trying...

Also, I never came back to confirm how the Syrokan went and they're... fine. They wont be replacing my shockabsorbers and if you're like me and in sports bras daily, you might be disappointed with how they wash.

The support is grand (32e) and seems to be holding ok with not too much stretching. I had to fiddle a bit to get the right fit, but that was expected. I was more disappointed with how the piping lasted in the wash, but then I honestly wear sports bras constantly so they're probably on rotation maybe every wk/10 days.

As I said, they're fine if you're not washing them a lot or if you're fine about the piping wearing quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Choc Chip wrote: »
    Peachy Lean have the side pockets and are an irish brand. I'm not associated with them but I do love their leggings. :)

Oh thank you - never heard of them but I’ll go look now.

julyjane wrote: »
    Has anyone got low iron/haemoglobin? I'm a regular blood donor, last donated in June and my hb was 12.5 so I was only barely eligible. I went back last week, my fingertip reading was 11.6 and my venous blood was 11.4 so I'm excluded for 6 months now. I don't bleed monthly (mirena) so can't blame that. The nurse said people who play sports often have low iron so I'm guessing it's that. I take floradix and vitamin c when I think of them and have a reasonably balanced diet.

I tend to run on the low end of normal, but I have extremely heavy periods due to the copper IUD and I'm a vegetarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

I tend to run on the low end of normal, but I have extremely heavy periods due to the copper IUD and I'm a vegetarian.

If you had a Mirena instead it would have the opposite effect, btw. I got this done to fix my iron deficiency and heavy periods and it worked, it makes the monthly bleed very light or even nonexistent ...

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Hey Guys,

Any sports bra recs for a small boobed lady? I'm an A cup, and I feel like with the ones that have wiring/a lot of support that I am being suffocated rather than supported :D

I'd prefer a soft one, nearly like a yoga bra, but with some padding for modesty. I find the ones with removal cups go funny in the wash sometimes - so if there was one that wasn't like that, even better !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

M&S angel range do a non-underwired sports bra afaik, might suit.

If you had a Mirena instead it would have the opposite effect, btw. I got this done to fix my iron deficiency and heavy periods and it worked, it makes the monthly bleed very light or even nonexistent ...

Can't do hormones - progesterone is terrible for my mental health unfortunately :(

Hey Guys,

Any sports bra recs for a small boobed lady? I'm an A cup, and I feel like with the ones that have wiring/a lot of support that I am being suffocated rather than supported :D

I'd prefer a soft one, nearly like a yoga bra, but with some padding for modesty. I find the ones with removal cups go funny in the wash sometimes - so if there was one that wasn't like that, even better !

I can't help with recommendations but debenhams have a lot of their sports bras reduced at the moment, you might find something suitable there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Yep I constantly have low iron stores and pretty much permanently seem to be taking iron supplements these days. I'm vegetarian but I eat mountains of green veg and I would have thought dietary intake was ok, so I blame it on the running!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kulekat

Hygge Bands...

What are your thoughts? I like the design etc, and i do sweat a lot lol but are they better than normal head bands or would merino wool head bands be better?
    Thanks!

kulekat wrote: »
    Hygge Bands...

What are your thoughts? I like the design etc, and i do sweat a lot lol but are they better than normal head bands or would merino wool head bands be better?
    Thanks!
    I have 4 of them, I'm a fan. Less likely to slip than others and keeps my fringe back and sweat out of my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kulekat

I have 4 of them, I'm a fan. Less likely to slip than others and keeps my fringe back and sweat out of my eyes.

Great! Interesting that they dont slip... might be my reason to buy so :) thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Here's something to think about: My partner gives blood regularly, and his HB went a bit too low to donate a couple of years ago, he was annoyed because his diet was decent. He was told coffee inhibits iron absorption, so he stopped drinking coffee with his spinach/beans/eggs breakfast, and has only two cups of coffee a day, and never with meals. He made this one tweak and was back with good HB the next time, has been there ever since, donating every three months no problem.
    Maybe this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

yeah I'd heard that about the tannins in tea inhibiting iron absorption but I had it in my head it was only black tea or coffee and I always add milk, maybe my information is wrong but it's food for thought anyway, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Good to see some media coverage of womens issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Thanks Ariana

I don’t think it’s giving me an edge at the moment because impossible to track or know what my hormones are doing . For peri menopausal women there seems to be zero edge !!

Coming up to the marathon my body was playing ball and I seemed to have regular cycles with no crazy hormonal issues - no days were runs were very difficult - I was taking all supplements recommended in roar.

My period arrived 3 days After the marathon 10 days early , then disappeared for a day or two and came back for five day’s when it should have been due . Now it’s back again after another 10 days with full on PMT everytime .

Has this happened to anyone else . My running feels hard at the moment and I’m only running easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Thanks Ariana

I don’t think it’s giving me an edge at the moment because impossible to track or know what my hormones are doing . For peri menopausal women there seems to be zero edge !!

Coming up to the marathon my body was playing ball and I seemed to have regular cycles with no crazy hormonal issues - no days were runs were very difficult - I was taking all supplements recommended in roar.

My period arrived 3 days After the marathon 10 days early , then disappeared for a day or two and came back for five day’s when it should have been due . Now it’s back again after another 10 days with full on PMT everytime .

Has this happened to anyone else . My running feels hard at the moment and I’m only running easy.
    Jayney that's rough Bluesquare, you poor thing. I haven't experienced anything like that so I've nothing useful to share but I'd say maybe go easy on yourself for a while? Could be the stress of the marathon disrupted things a bit? I know my body is massively reactive to stress and all kinds of weird things happen :rolleyes:. Might be worth a trip to the GP either, at least if you have another very short cycle like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Thanks eyrie,I’m assuming it was the marathon that caused it all right . I’m on meds for my thyroid as well so my diagnosis was that that the marathon threw the thyroid out of whack which then affected my cycle.

I suspose I should go to the doctor - make sure meds are correct etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Thanks Ariana

yes, unfortuently for me it was leading up to the marathon I got 3 periods in 27 days so only about 12 to 13 days inbetween I felt I was constantly in the two week high hormone phase drove me mad. PMT was bad before my period this time and knocked me for six at least my cycle was longer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Thanks eyrie,I’m assuming it was the marathon that caused it all right . I’m on meds for my thyroid as well so my diagnosis was that that the marathon threw the thyroid out of whack which then affected my cycle.

I suspose I should go to the doctor - make sure meds are correct etc .

I am on meds for my thyroid as well, which can also cause issues with your cycle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Bluesquare - I've been there - you are not going mad ;)

I still am to there a degree. I definitely put it down to being peri-menopausal. I can go 3 months without a period and then get 2 in the space of 3 weeks. My head is all over the place. I am definitely struggling with fatigue - just getting out for a run can be a challenge.

I'm struggling a little with my weight, so trying to track it weekly over a 4 week cycle isn't the easiest, let alone weekly :eek:

Now - I don't have other medical issues as such - so keep an eye on your thyroid.

Advertisement