Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running issues specific to women

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Can any of ye wonderful women recommend at 10k plan? I completed the C25K and ran my first 5k last weekend in 32.12.
    I aim to run the 10k night run in Dublin in April and looking for a plan. Preferably 2 runs midweek and long run at weekends. I do pitch sport 1/2 days a week also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Can any of ye wonderful women recommend at 10k plan? I completed the C25K and ran my first 5k last weekend in 32.12.
    I aim to run the 10k night run in Dublin in April and looking for a plan. Preferably 2 runs midweek and long run at weekends. I do pitch sport 1/2 days a week also

You could try Hal Higdon:

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/10k-training/novice-10k/

Huzzah! wrote:
    You could try Hal Higdon:

Thanks I just downloaded the app filled in details and it looks excellent. Excited to get out on my run after work now 😄😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

I think there's an app from zen labs that does a good one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

For people who don't need too much support, Penney's have gorgeous sports bras / crop tops at the moment - really bright and vibrant - orange & pink!

I got one, wore it to Pilates today and it was v comfy, and am planning to run in it this evening.

They're probably light to medium support, 8 quid, and I saw sizes XS to XXL.

UPDATE: Ran 7 easy miles in it last night - had enough support, comfortable & (in my opinion :) ) looks v nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

HelenAnne wrote: »
    For people who don't need too much support, Penney's have gorgeous sports bras / crop tops at the moment - really bright and vibrant - orange & pink!

I got one, wore it to Pilates today and it was v comfy, and am planning to run in it this evening.

They're probably light to medium support, 8 quid, and I saw sizes XS to XXL.

UPDATE: Ran 7 easy miles in it last night - had enough support, comfortable & (in my opinion :) ) looks v nice!

That are really comfy! My only issue is the pads in the padded tops move and bunch up , or even pop out when washed. Looking for a padded sports bra where pads doing do this!

sassyj wrote: »
    That are really comfy! My only issue is the pads in the padded tops move and bunch up , or even pop out when washed. Looking for a padded sports bra where pads doing do this!

The Penney's one I just got has removable pads - there's a tiny slit on the inside, just at the bottom of the front straps where you can take them out. Others have slits at the front sides. I always take the padding out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sleepysue

I am following Hal Higdon 10k novice plan at the moment. It's 2 midweek runs and 1 long weekend.

sleepysue wrote:
    I am following Hal Higdon 10k novice plan at the moment. It's 2 midweek runs and 1 long weekend.

Me too. On week 2 hope to run a 10k and end of April

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Morning ladies !

Back to the question of shorts ! I bought the most marvellous pair last year - Mizuno 4.0 alpha - but now sadly out of my size so couldn’t buy a second pair . They hang on my hips , leg coverage is awesome and incredibly light weight !

Any suggestions for an equivalent - I have chunky thighs in comparison to waist size so need shorts with a bit of room in them . I also like a bit of length so 4-5 inch shorts . Only since I have hit my forties I have had enough confidence to wear shorts running. Maybe by fifty I’ll wear the Lycra ones and be done it with!

Disappointed my holy grail of shorts has disappeared so now I’m back on my endless short quest . All ideas welcome . I’m currently looking at ASICS road 5 inch short - anybody got a review ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cailineile

Hi bluesquare

It’s funny I’m just reading your post eating my breakfast and I found on fri morning a pair of shorts I picked up last time at home. ASICS 3.5in. Now I think I didn’t wear them cos I thought they might be short short. Anyways fired them on at 5:45 and had gym session at 6. Squats galore. Frog jumps. Did a good workout in them and was surprised. Super comfy. Would have sworn they were old ones. I run and have chunky thighs and small waist . This is the pics of the tag. Normally I wear lululemon or Nike shorts. The ASICS won’t didn’t have a zip thing but I have my spibelt so that not an issue. Hope this helps a bit. And go for the shorter ones. I used to be conscious before too but am now like to hell with it ! Happy running

cailineile wrote: »
    Hi bluesquare

It’s funny I’m just reading your post eating my breakfast and I found on fri morning a pair of shorts I picked up last time at home. ASICS 3.5in. Now I think I didn’t wear them cos I thought they might be short short. Anyways fired them on at 5:45 and had gym session at 6. Squats galore. Frog jumps. Did a good workout in them and was surprised. Super comfy. Would have sworn they were old ones. I run and have chunky thighs and small waist . This is the pics of the tag. Normally I wear lululemon or Nike shorts. The ASICS won’t didn’t have a zip thing but I have my spibelt so that not an issue. Hope this helps a bit. And go for the shorter ones. I used to be conscious before too but am now like to hell with it ! Happy running

Cheers I will take a look

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I'm finally planning to crack out the heart rate strap I bought, but want to do some sort of test to check my max HR etc.
    Should I avoid doing that a certain time of month? Or is it relevant to do it both off and on my period? Anyone got any experience / insight to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I'm finally planning to crack out the heart rate strap I bought, but want to do some sort of test to check my max HR etc.
    Should I avoid doing that a certain time of month? Or is it relevant to do it both off and on my period? Anyone got any experience / insight to this?

Avoid during the time.

Temperature and HR will fluctuate around this time so will give a false reading, Once you have a base line to work off you can use this and adapt for training at all periods

Would come under the same principles as illness etc on the effects it will have on the bodies base line.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Tonight 5pm set up for Swim Ireland but her talks generally aren't sport specific here
    Episode 1 - Period Power - is a talk by Sport Ireland Institute Performance Nutritionist Sharon Madigan, covering everything from hormones, to body composition, bone health, and social media influencers.

Supported by Kinetica Sports, this is a must-watch for athletes of any age or gender, and anyone who works with athletes, but it should prove particularly insightful to female athletes, and the coaches and parents who work with them.

Got a question? Ask Sharon in the comments below, or email bethanycarson@swimireland.ie
    Sharon will answer as many questions as she can in Episode 2 of #WePlay 2020, coming to your YouTube and Facebook screens at 17:00 GMT on Friday, April 24

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Anyone here with a tendency towards low blood pressure ever make a connection with time of the month? My BP has always been on the low side, I fainted a lot as a child & adolescent but I've gotten a lot better as a adult recognising the signs and getting myself into a safe position until it passes. But this week I've been getting light headed more than usual, you know that head rush when you get up from a chair too quickly. Yesterday morning i fainted which completely caught me on the hop, i was awake and thinking about getting up when one of the kids called, i got half way across the landing to his room and boom, thankfully i got a soft landing on carpet. Fainting itself doesn't bother me as long as i don't hurt myself when i land (i did have to have stitches once :rolleyes:) but my OH who has never fainted gets a bit freaked out by it. I thought of this thread this morning and wondered if it could be related in any way to time of the month :confused: I shall start keeping notes for myself going forward i think.

ariana` wrote: »
    Anyone here with a tendency towards low blood pressure ever make a connection with time of the month? My BP has always been on the low side, I fainted a lot as a child & adolescent but I've gotten a lot better as a adult recognising the signs and getting myself into a safe position until it passes. But this week I've been getting light headed more than usual, you know that head rush when you get up from a chair too quickly. Yesterday morning i fainted which completely caught me on the hop, i was awake and thinking about getting up when one of the kids called, i got half way across the landing to his room and boom, thankfully i got a soft landing on carpet. Fainting itself doesn't bother me as long as i don't hurt myself when i land (i did have to have stitches once :rolleyes:) but my OH who has never fainted gets a bit freaked out by it. I thought of this thread this morning and wondered if it could be related in any way to time of the month :confused: I shall start keeping notes for myself going forward i think.

That doesn’t sound pleasant at all . It’s certainly plausible though as our lovely Monthly hormones have an effect cardiovascular function. My breathing goes to pot one week a month ( not always but a bit)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Yikes, I wouldn't like the sound of that E! But like your OH I've never fainted so maybe it's less of a big deal if you're used to it :confused:
    Probably not the same thing but I get bouts of dizziness which can be quite strong sometimes, and it's definitely linked to my cycle so there could be something similar in that and what you're describing maybe. Definitely worth keeping notes for yourself to see if there's a pattern anyway.

Bluesquare wrote: »
    That doesn’t sound pleasant at all . It’s certainly plausible though as our lovely Monthly hormones have an effect cardiovascular function. My breathing goes to pot one week a month ( not always but a bit)
    eyrie wrote: »
    Yikes, I wouldn't like the sound of that E! But like your OH I've never fainted so maybe it's less of a big deal if you're used to it :confused:
    Probably not the same thing but I get bouts of dizziness which can be quite strong sometimes, and it's definitely linked to my cycle so there could be something similar in that and what you're describing maybe. Definitely worth keeping notes for yourself to see if there's a pattern anyway.

Thanks ladies. I had a really crappy few days late last week and realised it's more than the normal low BP, every single time i stood up i was getting light-headed, i was getting very frustrated with it to be honest. I consulted Dr. Google and found low sodium could be the issue. I started putting a Zero tablet in my bottle of water once a day and maybe it's my imagination but i feel better already. I'll see how it goes for a few days more.

Thanks ladies. I had a really crappy few days late last week and realised it's more than the normal low BP, every single time i stood up i was getting light-headed, i was getting very frustrated with it to be honest. I consulted Dr. Google and found low sodium could be the issue. I started putting a Zero tablet in my bottle of water once a day and maybe it's my imagination but i feel better already. I'll see how it goes for a few days more.

My sister had very low blood pressure as a teenager and the doctor recommended salt & vinegar crisps! Probably works on the same principle as a Zero tablet.

I'm sure you probably find that keeping hydrated helps too? Mine is usually a normal level, but a few years ago after I had surgery i had quite low blood pressure for a few months (I think it was brought on by blood loss?) - anyway, I just had to be sure keep hydrated or it got way worse!

• Advertisement

HelenAnne wrote: »
    My sister had very low blood pressure as a teenager and the doctor recommended salt & vinegar crisps! Probably works on the same principle as a Zero tablet.

I'm sure you probably find that keeping hydrated helps too? Mine is usually a normal level, but a few years ago after I had surgery i had quite low blood pressure for a few months (I think it was brought on by blood loss?) - anyway, I just had to be sure keep hydrated or it got way worse!

Any excuse to eat salt & vinegar crisps :P

Thanks Helen. Yeah, i'm generally pretty good at drinking water even my OH was telling me he's been inspired to drink more water seeing me carrying around my water bottle since we both started WFH. I'll try to keep a closer eye on it and i do seem better since i started taking the electrolyte tablet but i don't really want to become dependent on them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

I need new runners! Any recommendations? My current ones are 4 years old - addidas ones. Under normal circumstances I'd go to the shop but can't do that now and I'm running most days. I see there is a thread but it's dealing with men's trainers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

detoxkid wrote: »
    I need new runners! Any recommendations? My current ones are 4 years old - addidas ones. Under normal circumstances I'd go to the shop but can't do that now and I'm running most days. I see there is a thread but it's dealing with men's trainers.

You'd be very welcome to post in that thread; it's honestly not men only!

Are the Adidas runners you currently wear comfortable? If they're still available, it might be worth getting the same pair again given that you can't currently go to the shops to try on other pairs.

Maybe if you tell us the model, people can suggest similar types of runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Thanks! This post seemed a bit friendlier! My current runners are addidas adizero. I have them 4 years now. My toes are out of both shoes and I've started getting bloody toes after a run. It's def time for a new pair!

detoxkid wrote: »
    Thanks! This post seemed a bit friendlier! My current runners are addidas adizero. I have them 4 years now. My toes are out of both shoes and I've started getting bloody toes after a run. It's def time for a new pair!

Lots of us girls post on that other thread too, it's just there isn't as many of us so it seems more male dominated ;)

Like Huzzah suggested i'd probably stick with the same shoe. If you fancy a change you could read reviews for other neutral shoes and see if any mention that they are similar to the Adizero... You will often find that reviewers will list comparable shoes. And check out the returns policy before you buy just in case! Best of luck with shoe shopping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

the only option at the minute is to buy on line, try sportshoes.com they have a great range and some good offers on runners at the minute I had to buy a new pair my self in the last week.

you might find the newer version of your old runners and as Arianna suggested I would google them for reviews or check youtube or runrepeat are great for reviews https://runrepeat.com/search?q=adiddas+runner&terrain=road&category=running-shoes&order_by=score

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Short notice:

FitrWoman are hosting a webinar at 5pm Today:

Breaking the bloody barriers; Exercise, stress, nutrition & the menstrual cycle during COVID-19.

It’s on zoom, register here:

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/4615881719840/WN_Zeog4ctITvS1vQaAdRX_0A?fbclid=IwAR3A3H1rLNwUPxISmLuyAaOTzVaTcEvDDRU9viSQEYQjcQHfu1E1PBrtgeE

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭kg703

Hey,

A question from someone who has returned to running!

I recently started back, I'm currently running 5-6k every three days. I havent been jogging (properly) in a few years although twice I did couch to 5k last year and then stopped at the 5k. Getting back into the swing of it....ALMOST at the point where I can enjoy it :D

One thing I have now that I didnt years ago is my fitness tracker, using a Fitbit. My heart rate is averaging in the 160s / 170s during my run and a top of high 180s. A 5k is taking me about 37 minutes so I'm by no means a quick runner! 32, 5'4 & 160 pounds so overweight but not abysmal.

My husband seems to think this is far too high for a jog especially as I am not totally out of breath while jogging.... should I be worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

kg703 wrote: »
    Hey,

I recently started back, I'm currently running 5-6k every three days. I havent been jogging (properly) in a few years although twice I did couch to 5k last year and then stopped at the 5k. Getting back into the swing of it....ALMOST at the point where I can enjoy it :D

One thing I have now that I didnt years ago is my fitness tracker, using a Fitbit. My heart rate is averaging in the 160s / 170s during my run and a top of high 180s. A 5k is taking me about 37 minutes so I'm by no means a quick runner! 32, 5'4 & 160 pounds so overweight but not abysmal.

My husband seems to think this is far too high for a jog especially as I am not totally out of breath while jogging.... should I be worried?

That depends entirely on what your max heart rate is, and that's something that you need to measure in a fitness test (there is a calculation you'll find online but that's not an accurate way to measure it).

Does your fitness tracker take your heart rate throughout the day (and night) or just when you run? For e.g., I wear mine pretty much 24/7 so I know what my resting heart rate is normally. How many runs have you done with tracker, is your average HR always around the 160's +? It does seem a bit high but your max HR could be quite high and until you figure that out you won't know what those readings mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

kg703 wrote: »
    Hey,

If you are feeling comfortable and you are not out of breath and really working hard, I am wondering if the HR data is accurate, Fitbit is a fitness tracker and they are not very accurate at tracking HR during exercise.
    They move and lose contact when you run as you swing your arms.

Advertisement