Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Would have been so much more interesting if they'd had this interview with Tubridy :-)

I’m all for balance, honest. By definition, however, I must suffer from Trump Derangement Syndrome. For me, politicians of all persuasions are human beings, with all the frailties that go with that, if you know what I mean. What I find hard to take is the misogynistic comments and behaviours of the current incumbent (and I couldn’t care less whether it’s a Republican or a Democrat - it’s the behaviour I find offensive)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Alice Butler Short is the woman's name. Refreshing to hear a different opinion on the show for once. RTE have a habit of ignoring the negative side of their favourite Democrats, whether it be Obama's immigration policy, or Clinton's affairs (me too for every woman except the Clinton accusers), Kennedy's affairs. They only complain about the moral standards when the President is Republican.

She let the side down on the whole Sharia thing. While she is right to be demonstrating against Sharia, you would think that she would have better examples on hand to demonstrate what she is actually agin.

Didn't hear all the interview but on the bit about Trump walking on water I'd say she would have no problem believing it if he said he could ... the wateriest water ever no doubt!

Real case of I'm all right and to hell with everyone else.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Real case of I'm all right and to hell with everyone else.

Which is why I was thinking it would have been some craic if they'd kept Maeve Higgins overnight in RTE and had her on the show as well.

Very populist and sneering of Alan Leech to attack Alice Butler Short all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Don't worry lads the luvvie from Downton was on after her... "we all need a good hug after your last guest" sez he

• Advertisement

Well that cheered me right up. Another Joe Duffy in the making there for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone hear the second Greenday lyric for the competition?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone hear the second Greenday lyric for the competition?

Sorry, no. I was catatonic for that part of the show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Heard her before too. She's batsh*t crazy. *click*
    I was thinking to myself, is this a real person or is it a bot come to life?

strawdog wrote: »
    Have heard this dope elsewhere..
    Yes -- she was previously interviewed by Marian Finucane in 2017.

That would be fine if she had a fast-moving career as a politician, or had some professional employment in any political or analytical role. But she's basically a Trump SuperFan, I'm not sure what's new in her life since the last time Marian asked her these questions.

New grandkids? Kitchen extension? How's the ole racism coming along, Alice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I read a book recently about the Aum Shinrikyo boys and they didnt seem half as brainwashed as that Trump apologist this morning. She was contradicting herself almost every sentence. Marian talking about the Muslim travel ban. "No, not a ban," she replies, "but a temporary ban...." When did a temporary ban become not a ban? And after several statements saying noone is ever refused emergency treatment in the US, she then says "if you turn up at an emergency department, IF you have the resources, you will get treatment."

The first guideline of talk radio should be having intelligent, challenging discussion, not merely having some ludicrous cheerleader on in the (i'm assuming) interest of applauding yourself for your balanced broadcasting.

Marion: "Well isnt that great for your party"
    Guest: "I'm an independent thinking person Marion"
    Marion: "Yeah but you did run for Fianna Fail?"
    Guest: "Yeah I ran in the local elections in May."

Lord Jesus Christ, do these people think that we are stupid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Marion: "Well isnt that great for your party"
    Guest: "I'm an independent thinking person Marion"
    Marion: "Yeah but you did run for Fianna Fail?"
    Guest: "Yeah I ran in the local elections in May."

Lord Jesus Christ, do these people think that we are stupid.
    Yes they do and as people keep voting for FFG then it would certainly appear that they are right .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I’d a good giggle listening to that woman on yday, trumps no.1 fan, mad as a box of frogs!

Sometimes you need to cut presenters pay, Sam. Afraid to mention the elephant in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭strawdog

Wonder if anyone gonna have the balls to ask Marian if she'd be willing to take a pay cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

No solutions.

Murdoch Brexit Trump fake news Netflix vaccinations etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Cutting presenters' pay is a mere drop in the ocean. Having said that, I still can't believe Marian is being paid the money she is for such little work. It's a part-time job she has.

strawdog wrote: »
    Wonder if anyone gonna have the balls to ask Marian if she'd be willing to take a pay cut?
    I'd be a long time waitin for Dukes or Smyth to ask that question

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Cutting presenters' pay is a mere drop in the ocean. Having said that, I still can't believe Marian is being paid the money she is for such little work. It's a part-time job she has.

Never mind pay cuts just sack a load of the dead weight & those coasting & living on past glory and employ some new talent

• Advertisement

It's really funny to hear one of the Echo Chamber Coffee Club speaking this morning speaking about the ills of Fake News. The topic of RTE's recent financial issues was brought up on the show today, with one of the RTE's long term employees (and the most overpaid presenter in the financially bankrupt organisation) chairing the discussion and posing the questions. The guests were asked for their opinions, and they all nervously gave their anemic responses. But then of course, they are conflicted by a) the social awkwardness of criticising a person while being a guest on their show and b) the implied threat that if you say something that the presenter does not like then you may not be getting invited back!

And no doubt, if RTE are challenged about their limited coverage of their own issues they will say "The topic was discussed on The Marian Finucane Show on 15th September 2019, when a number of contributors gave their opinions on the state of affairs in RTE", as if we had been treated to a full, open and frank discussion this morning. Now that is fake news.

It's really funny to hear one of the Echo Chamber Coffee Club speaking this morning speaking about the ills of Fake News. The topic of RTE's recent financial issues was brought up on the show today, with one of the RTE's long term employees (and the most overpaid presenter in the financially bankrupt organisation) chairing the discussion and posing the questions. The guests were asked for their opinions, and they all nervously gave their anemic responses. But then of course, they are conflicted by a) the social awkwardness of criticising a person while being a guest on their show and b) the implied threat that if you say something that the presenter does not like then you may not be getting invited back!

And no doubt, if RTE are challenged about their limited coverage of their own issues they will say "The topic was discussed on The Marian Finucane Show on 15th September 2019, when a number of contributors gave their opinions on the state of affairs in RTE", as if we had been treated to a full, open and frank discussion this morning. Now that is fake news.
    You said a mouthful there

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

You got it in one there JJ. A bit like when Joe Duffy lets callers on for "Balance" between the 2.57 ad break and the 3.00 news.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,871 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Callan57 wrote: »
    Never mind pay cuts just sack a load of the dead weight & those coasting & living on past glory and employ some new talent

There would be a queue around the block of new talent - sent there by the same greedy agents.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Oh dear, just when Maria Bailey thought she could go outside again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Storm 10

My God death every RTE programme is doom and gloom both radio and TV

Interesting stuff about Ian Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Storm 10 wrote: »
    My God death every RTE programme is doom and gloom both radio and TV
    yes and dementia seems to be all the rage with them at the moment as well.... a whole series about it is a bit excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,616 ✭✭✭✭zell12

and did you hear the guy quoting someone else "f**kin" and "english c******er"
    I was not expecting that.
    Later Marian reminded him: This is R.T.E.Radio.One.

• Advertisement

zell12 wrote: »
    and did you hear the guy quoting someone else "f**kin" and "english c******er"
    I was not expecting that.
    Later Marian reminded him: This is R.T.E.Radio.One.

I think Marian had a mouthful of coffee at that time, albeit briefly before it was spat out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement