Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bin collecting

Options
  • 19-01-2014 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Got the leaflet,rang the company,but according to the wife none of the options suit.We recycle,compost and put bin out maybe once amonth at most.So are we being charged for doing things right.The info we recieved is very confusing.ie:weights per KG for various bins.Any clarity from anyone would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Might help if you're a bit clearer yourself. What's the leaflet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

So just to add something - any company not charging every month for nothing - like GS is doing now >€4 per month on pay as you go basis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Funny you should bring this up, I was just checking out Barna Waste and McGrath's websites this evening. According to Barna they give you three options as to what kind of service they provide and how much they charge, like yourself we might have a wheely bin out once every four weeks, in that case we can pay a serious charge of 20 euros every three months and then pay 9 euro in advance for household rubbish.

the recycling bin will cost 2.50 every two weeks, but there is a catch, if you go over 35kg's they will charge you 2.50 for the privilege, it's one big money making racket if you ask me, McGraths are much the same as Barna but will not charge you for the weight of your bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

Just got a leaflet from Mcgraths this morning informing us that the change over is coming. Had no idea before this.
    We'd usually only put our bin out every 4-6 weeks. The recycling bag is prob every 2 weeks.

And we now have to have a brown bin too?

Can see this being alot dearer than what we're currently paying which is about €200 a year.

barneyrub wrote: »
    Just got a leaflet from Mcgraths this morning informing us that the change over is coming. Had no idea before this.
    We'd usually only put our bin out every 4-6 weeks. The recycling bag is prob every 2 weeks.

And we now have to have a brown bin too?

Can see this being alot dearer than what we're currently paying which is about €200 a year.

In that case then Barna Waste is the one you should go for, they operate a 'pay as you go' system, Google them and have a look.

• Advertisement

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    In that case then Barna Waste is the one you should go for, they operate a 'pay as you go' system, Google them and have a look.
    I was checking them out yesterday and looking at that option. They charge for extra weight though. How much would an average bin full weigh?

Mcgrath are only doing the flat fee of 330 which is a pity as I prefer them to Barna

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Ham Sambo wrote: »

I think that's only going to be temporary until August then it's the pay by weight for all. There's an ad in The Champion today for them but it looks hugely expensive from here on in. I might fill a bin once every 3-4 weeks but it looks like there'll be a flat fee introduced regardless.

Must investigate a bit further.

Edit : Here's what they have in ad which leads me to believe "pay as you go" is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Really prefer the pay as you go method, ie, buying a plastic bag from Barna, or a tag from Greenstar, as and when you need it.

Our bin might only go out every 4 weeks or so. Will have to look into this as well.

I think the 'pay as you go' is a pay per lift system. Which is better for us that don't fill the bins fortnightly.
    But they will be charging for extra weight which might catch us out.

The annual charges here seem way ott compared to what you see advertised for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Why do you have to give barna €20 quid per quarter for the privilege of using a pay per lift option? What does that charge cover?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 phillo65

rizzodun wrote: »
    Why do you have to give barna €20 quid per quarter for the privilege of using a pay per lift option? What does that charge cover?

They are calling this a surcharge.Then you pay per lift.Do'nt get it myself.You're either paying for a service ie:€9 a lift or a yearly charge.Not a yearly charge (surcharge) plus a lift charge.Also seemingly this is a Bye law which I presume no other operater can come in with a different offer.There is a lot of confusion out there.I can see a lot of illegal dumping if we are interpreting these charges correctly.Thank you for all your replies.A bit of research. and we might figure it out.Although that is presuming they know what there at themselves.

thebuzz wrote: »
    Might help if you're a bit clearer yourself. What's the leaflet?

The Heading says "New bin collecting".Doesn't take a genius to figure what the leaflet was about.The info in the lealet ,papers , etc.is complicated.Myself,people I know and seemingly others on this thread think it looks like a good hike in price.Hope I'm wrong but in this town I always believe the worst,and I'm a townie.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

phillo65 wrote: »
    The Heading says "New bin collecting".Doesn't take a genius to figure what the leaflet was about.The info in the lealet ,papers , etc.is complicated.
    All you said was got the leaflet, I haven't received any leaflet so was I supposed to guess what new changes you were complaining about, without you actually mentioning them? I've since found out about the changes but hadn't when you originally posted.

rizzodun wrote: »

Haven't a clue, it just states 'service charge', just another add on, what I can't understand is why they charge for collecting recycling as they make a lot of money from it themselves.

thebuzz wrote: »
    All you said was got the leaflet, I haven't received any leaflet so was I supposed to guess what new changes you were complaining about, without you actually mentioning them? I've since found out about the changes but hadn't when you originally posted.

Apoligies,to be honest the Leaflet is to me very confusing.That is why I couldn't put up details.I would not have known where to start.I will try to scan it and post it up at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

It seems that most of the people I have talked to only heard about this in the last week, but its starting the first week in Feb? I can see more people burning rubbish and an increase in fly tipping because if this. The service charge is a load of bull too, why not just charge a rate equivalent to the price of the old bags? Even then they could still charge if its over the max weight.

The barna FAQ states that the bin is weighed before and after emptying to calculate the weight of the rubbish, so what happens if you only have the amount for the standard weight of the bin in the account(€9 for 35 kg I think) and the bin weighs 36 or 37?

How can you trust that the weight they're giving is accurate too? Sounds way too easy to make money without monitoring.

So I have had a good look on the Barna website, yes they are doing away with labels/bags, feb for Sligo, and not till august for Leitrim, but nothing on what the charges will be.

Looked at the Greenstar website, and can find nothing on these changes.

No leaflets through the door, and yet both companies collect from my estate.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Did a bit of looking into barnas €167 charge for 6 months with no limit on weight - through their online service they look for almost 50 per cent (€80) up front as a minimum charge. Haven't looked at the upfront payments for the other services but I think we'll be availing of the €9 per lift option. Because we don't live in the town we don't need a food waste bin either.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭glaswegian

does the greenstar depot in finisklin take black bags of household waste,and at what price if they do??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

glaswegian wrote: »
    does the greenstar depot in finisklin take black bags of household waste,and at what price if they do??

Not sure about foodstuffs...I've dumped a few small items with them and there seems to be a €5 min charge, but I may well be wrong.

• Advertisement

You still have until the end of March to use your bags. The shops stop selling them early Feb but the companies will still take them until end of march. Im going to stock up on what I need to do me until then.

You can bring your own waste to be dumped but you're supposed to keep your receipts for 6(i think) years!

Do you get a receipt for the weight of your bin each lift and things like that if it's all going electronic.

Lack of providers is bugging me now, and that it was an unknown to me until this week.

Necrominus wrote: »
    Did a bit of looking into barnas €167 charge for 6 months with no limit on weight - through their online service they look for almost 50 per cent (€80) up front as a minimum charge. Haven't looked at the upfront payments for the other services but I think we'll be availing of the €9 per lift option. Because we don't live in the town we don't need a food waste bin either.

€9 a lift is ok and would suit me.But only putting a bin out once a month paying a service charge of €167 or whatever seems excessive or extortionate.I think its the latter.

phillo65 wrote: »
    €9 a lift is ok and would suit me.But only putting a bin out once a month paying a service charge of €167 or whatever seems excessive or extortionate.I think its the latter.

Found a leaflet. The €9 a lift, seems to be part of a top up fee.

A prepay or credit service of €20 for three months. For that lifts are €9, with an additional (i think) €2.50 if weight is over 35kg. Seems to be the best one for ocasional users.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Necrominus wrote: »
    ..... Because we don't live in the town we don't need a food waste bin either.

If you live in any of these ares you need a food bin.

Specified Areas for third bin collection are as follows:

- Ballisodare
    - Ballymote
    - Borough Area
    - Carney
    - Cliffoney
    - Collooney
    - Coolaney
    - Dromore West
    - Drumcliff
    - Easkey
    - Enniscrone
    - Grange
    - Strandhill
    - Mullaghmore
    - Rathcormac
    - Rossespoint
    - Riverstown
    - Tubbercurry

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Plazaman wrote: »
    If you live in any of these ares you need a food bin.

Specified Areas for third bin collection are as follows:

- Ballisodare
    - Ballymote
    - Borough Area
    - Carney
    - Cliffoney
    - Collooney
    - Coolaney
    - Dromore West
    - Drumcliff
    - Easkey
    - Enniscrone
    - Grange
    - Strandhill
    - Mullaghmore
    - Rathcormac
    - Rossespoint
    - Riverstown
    - Tubbercurry

Not according to the barna website for Ballymote. I entered all my details and the only bins they are providing are the general and recycling 240 litre bins. Other areas I haven't a clue. I'm open to correction on this as I'm only going off the barna website when entering my details for the €167 offer.

https://m.soundcloud.com/oceanfm/north-west-today-tues-21st-jan#t=3:32

There's a link that sligo Co Co just put up on Twitter. Interview on ocean for at around 3:30 in. According to it all providers need to provide either a pay per lift or pay per weigh system.
    Mcgraths aren't offering these options anyway.

I also enquired with Mcgraths about a brown bin as we're in an area that will need one and was told that they'd be rolling it out in future but not available now. Maybe Barna are the same?
    There's maps on the council's website for areas that need the brown bin

Greenstars pre pay plan seems to be the best for those who dont put out the bins too often

Prepay Plan
    Initial Payment: €20.00
    Monthly Charge: €4.16
    Compost: €6.00
    Recycling: €4.00
    General Waste: €10.00

Here is the standard plan ...

Standard Plan
    €129.00
    Cost per KG: €0.255

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

I will stay with GS prepay as we are not puting out bins every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 showgies

I’m currently with Barna on a top up / credit situation and pay for each lift. Between general waste & recycling I spend an average €150 per year.

The new charges will mean an increase payment for me no matter what option I use, with the €20 per quarter being probably the best choice. The price per lift currently is €12.50 – General and €4.50 – Recycling, even their reduction to €9 & €2.50 respectfully means I will pay more.

Co-incidentally the prices per lift were only increased last July from €9.50 & €3.00.

It seems that those that were managing their waste correctly in the first place are those that will bear some punishment.

So much for Polluter Pays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

It's crazy that our inept Co. Council is able to make a bye-law that can limit or eliminate options for a service that is paid for by the consumer privately.

I'd say barna won't have many former 'buy a bin bag/tag' customers picking up their new options wich all seem expensive and more bother compared to the simple option of buying a bag at the shop which a lot of people in town have done for ages. Lots of households in this town struggling at the moment, my house included, and we all want pay as you go without big charges that have to be paid all at once.

We are with Greenstar for the last 3 years, and they have put the price up slightly every single year, this year their leaflet said they were putting the standing monthly charge up a bit but the price per bin was going down slightly. I don't have the leaflet to hand but when I got it last week I remember calaculating that it was still an increase for what we would use. But I don't remember paying 20 euro initial charge that must be new. 20 euro for the privilege of paying them a standing monthly charge as well as a tenner each bin, ffs what a joke.

If the Barna pay per lift plan is 20 for 3 months, plus 9 per bin, and 2.50 extra if overweight, than putting out 6 bins in 3 months would be 74 euro, if say 2 of them were overweight, 79 euro, equalling just over 13 euro per bin.

Agree with the previous poster, why not just charge 13 each lift then. Having a standing charge as well as a pay per lift charge defeats the purpose of pay as you go. I can't afford to just shell out 20 euro all at once every three months for nothing.

Advertisement