Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin Media Deal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 WAZZER25

Just to let you know I had a horrible experience with upc where my broadband and TV were both not working for over a month. Had made countless calls to customer service to no avail. 3 technicians were sent out one put in a new box and only half installed it, never registered the box to my house and left me to finish the instillation. The really interesting part was after the third tech called out he found it to be a fault with the wires outside the house and it was their problem. so when I told them to cancel I as I had not received the service in over a month I was told that I would have to pay 200€ to cancel. Even though it was their fault. The only way to get a waiver would be to write in to upc after accepting the cancellation charge as nobody can deal with it over the phone. I was an 1:40mins on the phone at that stage and I gave up on the end and was given 180€ credit for the month and half i lost and 9months half price. Will be cancelling as soon as that's up as never want to go through it again with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭Monkeyjoe

odckdo wrote: »
    OK that makes sense.

I joined UPC for the first time 6 months ago on the offer of 240Mb BB + national and mobile calls for 45 euro/month.

I upgraded today to include Horizon Max for 40 euro/month for 12 months then 80 euro/month for 6 months. I lost the mobile phone facility. That was the offer stated in the email.

I don't think the 25 euro/month offer is available to me. For whatever reason I didn't qualify. I will be disappointed if I find out different and will look for it.

I went for the 40 a month offer, then saw new customers get the same thing for 25. Filled in the cooling off form, received a call and after explaining I'm not paying 180 more than a new customer and giving them a day/time to pick up the horizon box it was swiftly changed to 25 a month for 12 months.

My old contract only had 3 months to run (out of 12), so thatmay have helped.

GL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Monkeyjoe wrote: »
    I went for the 40 a month offer, then saw new customers get the same thing for 25. Filled in the cooling off form, received a call and after explaining I'm not paying 180 more than a new customer and giving them a day/time to pick up the horizon box it was swiftly changed to 25 a month for 12 months.

My old contract only had 3 months to run (out of 12), so thatmay have helped.

GL

You got a good deal there.

I am a new UPC customer on a 18 month BB contract with 12 months left at 45 euro per month - not in there interest to then add TV and give it to me for 25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭Monkeyjoe

odckdo wrote: »
    You got a good deal there.

I am a new UPC customer on a 18 month BB contract with 12 months left at 45 euro per month - not in there interest to then add TV and give it to me for 25.

True, I went from 35 for 120 bb + phone to the triple play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

I have just moved into a new apartment and will be a new customer to UPC. Is the new customer deals advertised on the website the best I'm going to get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

username?! wrote: »
    I have just moved into a new apartment and will be a new customer to UPC. Is the new customer deals advertised on the website the best I'm going to get?
    I have a similar question, but I was already offered a better deal that the advertised one (a few weeks back).

At my previous address due to issues with broadband and me having no choice but to cancel! I was offered the 25euro deal for 12 months (no 18 month contract). I am now at a new address and was told this offer would be valid til the middle of this month (I am expecting a call back 15 Aug approx.).
    Of course I ring UPC and they have no record of it and cant offer me that deal anymore, that was the "outcall" team so I am waiting on a call back.
    If no joy will just go to sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Current UPC customer. was offerd anytime irish calls, ul 240mb bb and 100 tv channels for 40 for 6 months then 80 thereafter. I only have tv with them at the moment. Do people think this is a good deal ? Or should i be getting something better ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Current UPC customer. was offerd anytime irish calls, ul 240mb bb and 100 tv channels for 40 for 6 months then 80 thereafter. I only have tv with them at the moment. Do people think this is a good deal ? Or should i be getting something better ?

read on another thread where someone got the half price deal for 9 months then full price for the remaining three on a 12 month contract.
    I got offered what you did without much of a fuss, so I am going to push for better.
    New customers get TV free for 12 months and €35 for 240MB Broadband/Phone, existing UPC customers who only have broadband and phone also get tv for free for 12 months. Dig your heels in you will get a better deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

read on another thread where someone got the half price deal for 9 months then full price for the remaining three on a 12 month contract.
    I got offered what you did without much of a fuss, so I am going to push for better.
    New customers get TV free for 12 months and €35 for 240MB Broadband/Phone, existing UPC customers who only have broadband and phone also get tv for free for 12 months. Dig your heels in you will get a better deal.

So UPC are now saying that the discount offer for new customers is gone 😬. Seems like a big change in approach for them, or is there something new in the pipeline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

They were advertising this deal (i.e. €25 for the TV/BB for a year) on the radio saying that it would last until the end of September so they must have got a very big response to the offer and decided to close it down early ? Its now gone up to 75euro which is full price for new customers! I assume they will have another offer soon

Any news on new deals? I got something in the door from Sky offering €49 for 12 months, which is fairly tempting, compared to UPCs €45 for BB and calls only, no TV. Will they have some decent offer to mark the switchover to
    the Virgin Media brandname? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96788078

If I do switch away from UPC, will they bother coming out to physically cut off the old analogue signal, or is that going to be still available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭DopeTech

RainyDay wrote: »
    If I do switch away from UPC, will they bother coming out to physically cut off the old analogue signal, or is that going to be still available?

No they don't bother disconnecting people usually so you'll still have the analogue.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Any news on new deals? I got something in the door from Sky offering €49 for 12 months, ...

What are the details on that?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

FrostyJim wrote: »
    No they don't bother disconnecting people usually so you'll still have the analogue.

Not true, while they don't immediately send someone out, they normally do disconnect people after a while.

beauf wrote: »
    What are the details on that?

Here ya go;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

It all depends on the sales agent that you speak to and the original deal in this thread.
    Best to call UPC customer loyalty and speak to one of the staff there.If you dont get anywhere,then hand up and ring back 15 minutes later.

Here ya go;

Tks. Found it one their website.

http://www.sky.com/ireland/broadband-talk/fibre-plus-tv/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

Looks like a good deal
    - only thing to note is that it is the original bundle and not the variety bundle.

So you do get channels over and above the free ones and the functionality of sky+/live pause /record/ sky go etc you dont get
    - the music channels
    - the kids channels
    - the documentaries.

The variety is normally €29 and the variety €38
    and - depending on the viewing preferences in the household - I reckon the €29 package is a poor offering.

OR HD I assume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

OR HD I assume?

No, HD is extra as well!!!

(Well you get rte 2, bbc 1 and 2 and maybe a few others, but ya the HD package is extra as well)

• Advertisement

First vaguely Competitive offer from Sky vs UPC. Its still a bit off UPCs bang for buck. It's an option if you want to leave UPC to come back as a new customer.

Though it could be argued the horizon box is a negative. Personally I find a lot of discovery and history channels original content is very poor quality. If you can find any among all the repeats and filler.

So comparing offers isn't that straight forward.

First vaguely Competitive offer from Sky vs UPC. Its still a bit off UPCs bang for buck. It's an option if you want to leave UPC to come back as a new customer.
    UPC have dropped their 'new customer' offer now, so it looks to me like Sky is considerably better value than UPC are offering me.

UPC have dropped their 'new customer' offer now, so it looks to me like Sky is considerably better value than UPC are offering me.

I don't really know what you are comparing.

I don't really know what you are comparing.

I'm comparing the €80-odd quid a month UPC are charging me now for TV/Phone/BB with Sky's €49 for BB & TV.

They aren't exactly the same though.

UPC are giving you a lot more HD channels. I think its another 15 or more on Sky for less HD channels.
    UPC BB should be faster, and have less contention issues. You may or not need this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm comparing the €80-odd quid a month UPC are charging me now for TV/Phone/BB with Sky's €49 for BB & TV.

If you call UPC and threaten to leave for Sky, you will almost always get a much better deal from UPC. Always worth shopping around and then calling them after your contract is up.

Also double check what speed your line would actually get. Unlike UPC who almost always deliver 240Mb/s, Sky use Eircoms VDSL, which is "up to" 100Mb/s by pay only give you as little as 7Mb/s depending on the length of your line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭kooga

sky original is €15 per month for 12 months via the car phone warehouse

original movies and sport €38 pm for 12 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

bk wrote: »
    If you call UPC and threaten to leave for Sky, ... Always worth shopping around and then calling them after your contract is up.

Yes as UPC keep increasing the price every year - you start a new 1-year contract when that price takes effect.

So, I'm never out of contract :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Yes as UPC keep increasing the price every year - you start a new 1-year contract when that price takes effect.

You've a 30 day cooling off period after each contract change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭BandMember

Not true, while they don't immediately send someone out, they normally do disconnect people after a while.

Yeah, you gradually lose the analogue signal and it should disappear altogether after a couple of months....

• Advertisement

Not true at all!!!

A change in price doesn't extend your contract at all!! In fact it breaks your contract if you are still in the initial 12 month period and you can change providers or threaten to do so to get a lower price.

If they change the price after your 12 month contract, then it doesn't extend your contract at all, you are free to leave or threaten to do so at any time.

Pretty much every company does this (ISP's, Sky, Electric Companies, Insurance companies, etc.), you have to actively watch and manage your account to get the best value for money. And UPC definitely have the best value for money broadband in Ireland.
    BandMember wrote: »
    Yeah, you gradually lose the analogue signal and it should disappear altogether after a couple of months....

Not true either!

It will continue to work as long as you remain connected at the external tap. You only lose service when they disconnect you from the external tap. There is no gradual fade!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭BandMember

Not true either!

It will continue to work as long as you remain connected at the external tap. You only lose service when they disconnect you from the external tap. There is no gradual fade!!

Well, our signal went from being watchable to just being a faded haze to disappearing completely over the space of two months of cancelling our UPC TV/Broadband package. So, I'm guessing that they disconnected us externally then?

BandMember wrote: »
    Well, our signal went from being watchable to just being a faded haze to disappearing completely over the space of two months of cancelling our UPC TV/Broadband package. So, I'm guessing that they disconnected us externally then?

Yup, sounds like they have disconnected you externally.

Not true either!

That's my question really - do they routinely send someone out to disconnect the analogue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

That's my question really - do they routinely send someone out to disconnect the analogue?

They last time I left them they did and they put an imposible to remove cap on it, imposible without the correct tool that is.

I had my upc point moved from one room to another. Which highlighted a signal degradation issue So I called upc to fix it.

The contractor who came out cut the connector off the end of the cable I wasn't using, which I didn't notice till a few weeks later. Which I thought was very annoying. That is my cable not theirs. Its not a big job to fix it but you shouldn't have to double check this kinda stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,064 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I had my upc point moved from one room to another. Which highlighted a signal degradation issue So I called upc to fix it.

The contractor who came out cut the connector off the end of the cable I wasn't using, which I didn't notice till a few weeks later. Which I thought was very annoying. That is my cable not theirs. Its not a big job to fix it but you shouldn't have to double check this kinda stuff.

UPC are feckers for doing this. The other thing I have always seen them do without fail is if you have a lead in from a satellite dish , they will snip the connector off that cable so you can't get the FTA stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Any Sky Sports offers for existing customers?

Emailed them 2 weeks ago and not a word back. Usually have something for the start of the new season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭kooga

jay0109 wrote: »
    Any Sky Sports offers for existing customers?

Emailed them 2 weeks ago and not a word back. Usually have something for the start of the new season
    you'd be bettter of ringing them, are you out of contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

lensman wrote: »
    We need to clear up a a few things when talking about broadband providers & what they offer, UPC offer speeds up to 240Mb in their 240Mb package which translates to approximately 30MB, Mb=megabit & MB=megabyte, I have their 240Mb BB & the maximum D/L speed I get is 3.5MB which is about 1/10th of the advertised speed.

I connected a Cisco router and I have better speeds on 5ghz network than 2.4ghz.
    Usually I download from torrents with 20-24mb/s on wireless. (I'm on the 240mb contract as well)
    With the regular upc router I was downloading with around 10mb wireless / 20-24mb/s lan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

kooga wrote: »
    you'd be bettter of ringing them, are you out of contract

Nope, mid-contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

You obviously have a connection issue and should contact UPC.

In their own words "expected average speed during peak hours of at least 180Mb on a wired connection"

Ring support and insist on an engineer.

I wonder are they waiting to be rebranded before offering new packages? Although it could be a while before that happens. Surprised they got rid of most of their offers from upc.ie
    We need to clear up a a few things when talking about broadband providers & what they offer, UPC offer speeds up to 240Mb in their 240Mb package which translates to approximately 30MB, Mb=megabit & MB=megabyte, I have their 240Mb BB & the maximum D/L speed I get is 3.5MB which is about 1/10th of the advertised speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

These are the latest results from my UPC 240Mb broadband, Dublin 7
    [IMG][/img]2q1badl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

You have a connection issue. You should contact UPC via the Talk To UPC forum on boards.ie regarding the fault.

I get 240 wired and wireless most of the time (recently). Had some issues in the past. Wireless via my own wireless AC router.
    These are the latest results from my UPC 240Mb ...

People should check out this guide to getting most out of their UPC connection and how to test it properly:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057367191

lensman are you sure the ethernet port on you PC supports gigabit ethernet and isn't just 10/100 ?

Also that there isn't any other switches or routers between your PC and modem, that might be causing issues?

I have a SamKnows device, which does a speed test every hour, here are the average results over the last month:

Download: 232.20Mbps
    Upload: 24.46Mbps
    Latency: 11.07ms
    Packet Loss: 0.02%

Fantastic results. I also get 200Mbps over wifi, with my separate wireless router attached to the UPC modem.

• Advertisement

Those results are similar to mine but mine are because my router wired ports are 10/100.

Bk what's your WiFi router and adapter in the computer, laptop.

Bk what's your WiFi router and adapter in the computer, laptop.

TP-Link Archer C7v2.

Laptop is a Macbook Air with 5GHz 802.11n support, don't know more then that.

I'd recommend the Archer C8 nowadays, currently cheaper then the C7 on Amazon!!

Lots of info here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057367191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

The port on my laptop is 10/100 Ethernet, I disabled the slower built in wireless use a USB 300n wireless adapter.

You and I won't get faster until we switch to 802.11ac Wifi or use a computer and router with Gigabit Lan ports.

• Advertisement
Advertisement