Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Stheno wrote: »
    I found this a strange one, travel for essential purposes includes to visit a grave

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1318291031591473152?s=20

I understand in a way if someone has just lost a loved one etc but surely very open to abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭political analyst

seamus wrote: »
    I'm glad someone found a way to make all this Y2K talk ontopic :D

The surge didn't happen because we locked down.

What way does NPHET have of knowing how many Covid cases there would be tomorrow or next week or at any point in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Nothing left in Smyths apparently. People are so predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,974 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Given that, during the first lockdown, the predicted surge of Covid cases in hospital didn't materialise, how could the lockdown be regarded as proportionate?
    The predicted surge didn't materialise?
    Were there not almost 900 people in hospital with covid at a point in April? I would call that materialising.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

growleaves wrote: »
    Where can I look at the list of essential services does anyone know?
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/c9158-essential-services/

Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

Whatever floats your boat

She has a smokin' body, that's just an ojective fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

gmisk wrote: »
    Were there not almost 900 people in hospital with covid at a point in April? I would call that materialising.

Doesn't look like an astronomically high number for a country of around 5 million people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    I think employers attitude is different this time to this lockdown, I was temporarily off from April to July last time, this morning told we are not closing, we are far from essential , heard same from other firms in out business patk

What does the business do?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How do you find this strange?
    Have you lost anyone close to you lately?
    Eod100 wrote: »
    I understand in a way if someone has just lost a loved one etc but surely very open to abuse?

What EOD said, very open to abuse imo, just that twitter thread I linked has a lot of replies referencing it.

So if I live in Dublin and my parents are buried in Cork, the police can't stop/fine me travelling all that way given that I'm going to visit their grave??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Wonder how/whether this will work in practice tbh.

''Under the new plans, gardaí can call to a door and break up a house party but they may not enter the home. Instead they will ask the owner to break up the party and if they refuse to do so they will be fined under a fixed charge notice.''

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/level-5-latest-garda%C3%AD-to-be-given-new-powers-to-fine-people-for-holding-house-parties-1.4385990

Antares35 wrote: »

And half of them probably got the wrong thing, such was the panic. Wife called in to Smyths today and grabbed a catalogue so we can do click and collect in our own time

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What way does NPHET have of knowing how many Covid cases there would be tomorrow or next week or at any point in the future?
    Statistics, probablity and modelling.

You already know the answer to this question, so I'm not sure where you're going with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Yes and 160 in icu but some how we are only 2 weeks away from collapsing this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

No worries. They seem to be slacking with them lately, they don't even upload the Sunday reports on Sunday anymore. Sometimes Saturday isn't uploaded either.

18th link deleted but the pdf is still on the page in the background if you look at the cached page. 19th also deleted but cant find file

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid-19-daily-operations-update-2000-18-october-2020.pdf

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

''Under the new plans, gardaí can call to a door and break up a house party but they may not enter the home. Instead they will ask the owner to break up the party and if they refuse to do so they will be fined under a fixed charge notice.''

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/level-5-latest-garda%C3%AD-to-be-given-new-powers-to-fine-people-for-holding-house-parties-1.4385990

Good to see some level of enforcement tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/dc5711-irish-epidemiology-modelling-advisory-group-to-nphet-technical-notes/

Been somewhat accurate so far

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 31,974 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Doesn't look like an astronomically high number for a country of around 5 million people.
    It is a really high number when you take into account how few beds we have per head of population (I think 4th worst in the EU).
    If we hit numbers like that with seasonal flu etc now in the coming months we will be in trouble imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

xabi wrote: »
    What happens between 23:29 and 00:00?

The witching half-hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Stheno wrote: »
    Good to see some level of enforcement tbh

Also interesting to see the first U turn on restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

Antares35 wrote: »

One across the road from the dail

Always sold out of crayons

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sure RTE is no better. Had Drivetime on there yesterday and had to check to see if I was actually on Newstalk. Clare Byrne has more snark in her than David McCullagh.

She's one of the better one really but I think she tries a bit too hard sometimes to be hard hitting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Hospital numbers creeping up.

315 in hospital
    34 in ICU

seamus wrote: »
    Statistics, probablity and modelling.

You already know the answer to this question, so I'm not sure where you're going with this.

But probability and modelling might be wrong because NPHET cannot be certain of how many cases there will be from one day to the next. If NPHET is wrong then the damage to the economy will be for nothing and then there'll be severe cutbacks to the health service, thus causing many more deaths than Covid ever could.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Scotland - 15 deaths, 1456 new cases

500 in Glasgow and Clyde.

Their positivity rate has dropped from a high of 17.6% a few days ago to 11.4% today, but their testing system is falling over and it's hard to know what to believe. It was 6.4% yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

JimToken wrote: »
    One across the road from the dail

Always sold out of crayons

That'll be Simon and MM. Mad for the colouring those lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Friend of mine just got her result back, 74 hours after being tested. Not sure if her sample was reanalysed or what, but negative anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The number of fines issued and enforced will probably end up being pretty small - some student answers the door and says they don't know who the homeowner is; there's feck all the Garda can do about that.

But the threat alone should probably be sufficient, as well as the the fact that people will feel like something *can* be done. Twitching curtains are a pain in the hole, but they can have the effect of putting manners on people.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

hmmm wrote: »
    I think you're underestimating the fragility of complex IT systems, particularly industrial control and financial systems, and the amount of testing which is required for even seemingly minor changes. Correct time is a huge deal for many companies.

huge amount of bugs in software systems are time and time zone related

• Advertisement

It is a really high number when you take into account how few beds we have per head of population (I think 4th worst in the EU).
    If we hit numbers like that with seasonal flu etc now in the coming months we will be in trouble imo.

Stephen Donnelly told Claire Byrne last night that more ICU beds were put in place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement