Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

awec wrote: »
    There is absolutely nothing simple about date and time. :)

I stand corrected, the Microsoft update page advises that at least a year is needed to change DST settings via update. I thought it would have been a simple switching automatic DST off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

According to NPHET's letter to the health minister, the six-week lockdown will keep cases afterwards below 300 a day until early January.

I know that but what happens when go back to 1,000 a day back to lockdown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

No doubt Tony Holihan will have a raging hardon for Varadkar after all this

It will be interesting to see what happens the next rolling lockdown , will they act immediately on the recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

GT89 wrote: »
    There's basically zero chance catching kung flu is gonna knock decades off anyones life. Virtually 95% of people who died were 80+. People in their 80s do not have decades to live.
    so god damn insulting to people with family who have lost their lives to covid , including my brother in law in his 40's leaving a devastated wife and 2 young children and No he had no underlying conditions and none found on autopsy.. :mad:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I found this a strange one, travel for essential purposes includes to visit a grave

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1318291031591473152?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭growleaves

I advised Martin to go with a three-week circuit-melter but I was overruled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I stand corrected, the Microsoft update page advises that at least a year is needed to change DST settings via update. I thought it would have been a simple switching automatic DST off.

Why do you express what appear to be strongly held views on things you obviously know very little about?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭political analyst

GT89 wrote: »
    I know that but what happens when go back to 1,000 a day back to lockdown?

I guess so.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

JimToken wrote: »

It will be interesting to see what happens the next rolling lockdown , will they act immediately on the recommendations

Apparently Veradkar supported the lockdown at the weekend

Donnelly and Donohue were quite opposed to it

Do you really have to use a sexual analogy? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

At least elaborate?
    The removal of daylight savings completely is a comparitively smaller issue, since most clocks include the ability to just turn off DST.

However, "skipping" it for one year is something else entirely. It's like trying to tell your alarm clock that you want it to go off every day at 7am...except for next Wednesday. And just next Wednesday.

That's fine if your alarm clock can do that, but 99.99% of them can't. You would have to turn it off yourself next Wednesday and turn it back on again after.

And that's ignoring the issues with testing and verification that others have mentioned. You'd be quite amazed at the number of IT systems that have a bit of a hiccup every time the clocks change, which requires someone to apply some manual fix or otherwise account for it.
    I worked for a company once where a server had to be shut down twice a year - when the clocks changed - to prevent an accounting error. This was considered an easier solution than fixing the code, because that would require monumental amounts of testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

That's 18th, Sunday.

Sorry was sure I had 19th because I did the report last night.

So if you get stopped you're on the way to the pharmacy to buy a packet of throat lozenges(a health product)

nthclare wrote: »
    It's going to be myself the odd deer, fox and leaves blowing around, its going to be a long 6 weeks, because the seasonal contract workers finished up 2 weeks ago...

Living on my own..I feel like laughing or crying...

I believe you are allowed bubble with another household that can be outside the 5km limit.

This may allow you to see your son, or your friend, and I presume was introduced so people like yourself who live seperately from their children and/or partners they do not live with could see each other.

Just a suggestion - check out the details.

(eta) Support Bubbles

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

spookwoman wrote: »
    Sorry was sure I had 19th because I did the report last night.
    No worries. They seem to be slacking with them lately, they don't even upload the Sunday reports on Sunday anymore. Sometimes Saturday isn't uploaded either.

So if you get stopped you're on the way to the pharmacy to buy a packet of throat lozenges(a health product)

Or to visit a grave

Given that, during the first lockdown, the predicted surge of Covid cases in hospital didn't materialise, how could the lockdown be regarded as proportionate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭circadian

How will these non-connected systems fair out if a decision is made to scrap daylight savings next year? They'll all just have to be manually adjusted back, as would be the case now.

A script update to remove automatic daylight savings from OS providers like Microsoft and Apple would take minutes to compile, they're not changing much at all, simply turning a function off.

I know it's not going to be done but it wouldn't cause much issues at all. We've come a long way and system updates are often rolled out in a flash to meet security threats, so this would be a walk in the park.

Seeing as I manage one of the busiest NTP pools in Europe, I can categorically say this is absolute horse****.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,303 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The mad bitch coughing all over the plane.
    Huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Stheno wrote: »
    I found this a strange one, travel for essential purposes includes to visit a grave

Sounds scary, how are they going to police it? “Operation give a fvck” because that’s how most will see it. There’s more loopholes than a fishing net. It’s like our tax law.

The biggest question on people’s minds in the rare event they see a garda (we don’t have that many) will be ‘hmmm what excuse will I use today’

• Advertisement

Basically the lockdown has evolved into s shutdown of our social lives while maintaining the national revenue stream

Unsurprisingly really

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

According to NPHET's letter to the health minister, the six-week lockdown will keep cases afterwards below 300 a day until early January.

NPHETs letter is useless

They haven’t a hope of getting numbers down this time round. Super spreader schools will remain open that’s a big issue

Construction is now deemed essential etc.
    This is nowhere near the restrictive nature of the first lockdown.
    All this is doing is more damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I will. First off, Y2K comparisons are wrong. That was a massive effort that isn't going to be done in a week.

thanks for that i worked on y2k projects from early 90's always annoys me when people say it didnt happen, there was a huge recoding effort to negate the effect.

sorry mods OT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Nothing left in Smyths apparently. People are so predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Given that, during the first lockdown, the predicted surge of Covid cases in hospital didn't materialise, how could the lockdown be regarded as proportionate?
    I'm glad someone found a way to make all this Y2K talk ontopic :D

The surge didn't happen because we locked down.

circadian wrote: »
    Seeing as I manage one of the busiest NTP pools in Europe, I can categorically say this is absolute horse****.

Lol goes to show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

The stress of putting on a face mask. She had no bother dressing herself and not too stressed to fly.

For someone who cries so much about their own perceived misfortune, you have very little empathy for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Stheno wrote: »

How do you find this strange?
    Have you lost anyone close to you lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭growleaves

Where can I look at the list of essential services does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

circadian wrote: »

Seen as though I have an analogue clock and I’m not supposed to go out, I’m going to set it to whatever I want. There’s no law against using a different time zone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement