Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speech and language therapy UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pvlondon

Congrats ceeceer! Mimikins this means you're the first reserve!

I really hope there'll be more progress on the reserve but let's see. Again please update on here if anyone hears anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mimikins89

Congratulations Ceeceer! You must be delighted! And fingers crossed for us pvLondon! Can I ask you if you have been given any info on what the schedule is like now if we are called? Is it all registration and orientation stuff now or content lectures already?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mimikins89

pvlondon wrote: »
    Congrats ceeceer! Mimikins this means you're the first reserve!

I really hope there'll be more progress on the reserve but let's see. Again please update on here if anyone hears anything!

Hey PvLondon! Just heard today that someone else left the course! I got in!!! :eek: Starting tomorrow! :D:D So shocked as I thought it wouldn't move in the second week! You should be 3rd now then? Fingers crossed for you! Would be nice to start with both people from here together! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CeeCeeR

Hey Mimikins :) That's amazing news, congratulations :D Sorry I didn't notice your last message.... Been hectic since starting! They only did orientation on Mon, straight into lectures last Tues morning when I started. Really looking forward to meeting you tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pvlondon

Hey mimikins! What fantastic news! I'm really happy for you :)

I'm still hoping something might change before this week is over but I'm guessing it's pretty unlikely :(

You never know though so let's wait and see! Good luck tomorrow and keep those fingers crossed for me too!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Hi everyone! I'm wondering if anyone else is applying this year? The application process is completely different to previous years - we must now do a version of the hpat to gain entry.

It would be nice to start a bit of discussion about applications etc since the hpat is opening applications in the next couple of weeks!

I've just completed a research masters in English, still waiting on results. My undergrad was in English and Psychology. All from UCC! I wanted to do SLT for years but the leaving cert didn't go as planned and I didn't get the points I needed. My baby brother has autism and underwent a lot of therapy with an SLT so I've had an interest in the area kinda forever!

I'm a little nervous about the hpat already :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

It is so frustrating that they keep changing the goal posts for entry into this course!

I've applied twice in the last three years and on their feedback went back to do a masters as my undergrad marks (in a highly relevant discipline) were poor. I worked my butt off to get a first in my masters to put me at the top of the pile for slt entry this year.To discover now that was all in vain as hpat score will be the deciding factor, is absolutely soul destroying. By the end of this process i'll have spent almost 10 grand trying to get into this course! If I didn't want slt so badly I would just walk away at this stage.

I haven't logged into the application process yet. Do we still need to write personal statement etc like in previous years? Does practical work experience count for nothing any more?

panda100 wrote: »
    It is so frustrating that they keep changing the goal posts for entry into this course!

I've applied twice in the last three years and on their feedback went back to do a masters as my undergrad marks (in a highly relevant discipline) were poor. I worked my butt off to get a first in my masters to put me at the top of the pile for slt entry this year.To discover now that was all in vain as hpat score will be the deciding factor, is absolutely soul destroying. By the end of this process i'll have spent almost 10 grand trying to get into this course! If I didn't want slt so badly I would just walk away at this stage.

I haven't logged into the application process yet. Do we still need to write personal statement etc like in previous years? Does practical work experience count for nothing any more?

No, a personal statement or work experience is not necessary any more. You just have to show that you have the necessary grades for consideration, and after that it's down to the hpat!

It is frustrating for someone like yourself who has spent so much time and effort trying to get in to the course. This is my first year applying, but the old method of application would have suited me better because of my grades etc.

I'm a bit nervous about the hpat to be honest.

I thought I might try and bump this thread seeing as the hpat is now done and dusted! It's a pity it didn't take off this year the way it has previously. It would be nice to get some discussion going about this course with others who have applied. I feel like the wait to get the hpat results is going to be never-ending! I hope I've done enough to get in.

This will be my last attempt to get this going :o The HPAT results are out! How does everyone feel about them? I have no idea if mine are good enough! They are not overly high results, and they're not low either. I've already emailed postgrad admissions to ask how long until they will be contacting people about offers, I can't stand the waiting around anymore! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Galwaygirl66

I actually applied for occupational therapy but also find myself in the not awful but fairly average percentile. At present very doubtful I would be offered the course given my marks. If they email you back regarding when places will be confirmed please post it up?!....the anxiety levels are currently gone through the roof!

I actually applied for occupational therapy but also find myself in the not awful but fairly average percentile. At present very doubtful I would be offered the course given my marks. If they email you back regarding when places will be confirmed please post it up?!....the anxiety levels are currently gone through the roof!

OT is my second choice, so I'm hoping for an offer in either! They haven't gotten on to me yet, but I will post up if they do.

I was fairly anxious about the hpat results for the last 2 weeks, but I think waiting to find out if I got in is even worse. It's impossible to know how everyone else did!

That said, they'll probably do a reserve list like all the other years, so you might still have a chance if you're not offered a place straight away.

I agree its much worse having the results and not knowing if it's good enough!well fingers crossed they issue the decision this week...

They just replied in the last 10 minutes, and it'll be early May before the course director makes a decision apparently! I wonder if the hpat isn't the absolute sole decider so? It's hard to know!

Thanks for the update saves me chasing them as well! There were about 25 people sitting the English exam in my test centre so it would be interesting to know what the demand is. I would be happier if other factors were applied to admission process so hopefully that's the case!

No problem at all! There was 30 - 40 in my centre I think, a mixture for SLT and OT. I can't imagine the demand deviating much from previous years. I've read a lot of this thread, and it was generally around 130 people applying for SLT. I'd guess the hpat might have even put people off! I have a first in my undergrad and masters, I'd love if it counted for something. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Spencere010

Hey, just seen this thread! I received fairly average results today I think. Similarly, I have no idea how good they will be when it comes to acceptance into the course! Would be nice to roughly know how many people have applied. My test centre was in Limerick (UL) and I think there was about 25 people who stayed for the English part of the test, so there was a mixture of SLT and OT. Where did both of you sit your tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 LucyLuLu11

Hello, I've also applied for SLT, my test centre was Galway and there were about 20-25 of us there I would guess. I'm just wondering what is actually considered an average HPAT score? It's not something I had ever envisaged doing so I'm still quite clueless as to what my result actually means. There just seems to be so little information available about what the results actually mean

I'm actually so happy people have finally started to post here! :P

I did my test in UCC. It's impossible to even guess what kind of a score will actually be good enough to get in. I did a prep course for the hpat since I hadn't a single clue, and the tutor reckoned (based on similar scenarios abroad) that maybe 60th percentile and above would be sufficient. You would need at least 80th if you were going for medicine, so she said we wouldn't need scores that high. Still though, it was only a guess, albeit an educated one!

Acer have a page about results, with links to candidate performance from 2009 - 2015, so you can get an idea of the distribution of scores: https://hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/results

The waiting is driving me mad. I wish we even had a concrete date for offers. My written English score was very poor, (I think?) I wonder how much that will be taken into account? A previous years results or something to gage some of this against would be great!

• Advertisement

I thought my written English score would be a lot higher - I have two first class honours English degrees! :o But we have no idea what kind of criteria they were really looking for in that either.

I hate that we're the guinea-pig group for this!

I didn't do great in the English essay section either. Would really like to know how that is used when combined with your results. There was only 6 centres to sit the exam and we roughly know how many sat it in 3 of them, pity there's not more people on here who sat the exam in the other centres to fill us in on numbers This is definitely the hardest year to do the HPAT for SLT and OT as there is nothing to compare to.

I also sat mine in UL so I'd say 25 is about right and on the OT thread on boards here someone who sat in UCD this year said there was about 50 sitting the English exam there so demand was fairly high. Very reassuring other people were also disappointed with their written essay I think my head was melted after the hpat so clearly my writing was not up to par.

Hopefully there wouldn't be as many sitting it in Sligo or Waterford. Do you know what the thread was called for the OT discussions? I can't find anything relating to this year! Yeh I think everyone was pretty exhausted doing the English essays. It was such a long exam.

It's called 'occupational therapy employment prospects' sorry I wasn't allowed to copy the link in....it's not a very active thread either.

I was expecting to get at least 80 - 90 in the written part, I really was surprised by it!

This waiting game is gonna eat me up :pac:

Going by previous years, there was probably at least 120 sitting for each course.

I feel like the days are going by in slow motion. I'm like a mad person checking my emails all the time. :o Anybody else book accommodation just in case? :pac:

Yep. This wait is never ending. I'm nearly jumping every time I get an email, haha. I haven't really looked at accomodation or anything yet, I'm afraid to jinx anything! Have you? Where have you been looking at?

I took the position that I'd be completely fooked if I had nowhere to live after all the stress :pac:

I booked Cappavilla Village, postgrad only accommodation. It's right next to the health sciences building, but it's expensive enough! Looks nice, hopefully I'll actually get to live there. :pac:

• Advertisement

I have been too afraid to even look at accommodation while the wait continues...Do people think we might find out this week? It's seems like such a long time even tho it's only been 2 weeks!

Advertisement