Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speech and language therapy UL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Krazylotty123

Mimikins89 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking to apply for this course in the next few weeks and will be going to the open day at the end of the month but I had been wondering if it'd be inappropriate there to ask people publicly about the financial aspect... Just for planning to have the costs available if I was offered the place. I'm hoping you could enlighten me as to how much people tend to need per year on the course? I understand that the travel aspect is expected and that the placement is once a week and then in 5 week blocks at a time and that there will be a lot of petrol burned over the course of the 2 years, so I'm expecting that it will be high! I already looked online and through the other forums here but couldn't find any info about it other than other people saying there's no extra time to be working a job due to the courses intensive nature.
    Any help or indication as to travel costs would be really useful (and appreciated!) :)

Hi, will you pm me pls and I can give you more info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 zet125

Hi guys,

I am hoping to apply for the MA in UL this year and am just wondering what is the most important thing to have when applying as I know how competitive the course is to get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mimikins89

Hi guys!

A lot less activity on here than I thought there might be by now! For those who have applied this year the offers have been posted! Any luck zet125? I heard that I'm on the reserve list and from reading comments I'm slightly hopeful this could mean a place. Any other fellow applicationees? ;) I'd be curious to know if anyone who has a place knows when the date to provide the fee is? :) fingers crossed!!

Hi Mimikins 89,

How do we find out I can't find the link anywhere? my nerves are shot :P

There's a link in the email you got to confirm your application. I was given my log in number and temporary password which you change as you log in for the first time. The link I was given was www. si.ul.ie. (cant post UL as i'm still a 'new' user, sorry)
    You can probably call Catherine (+353-61-234377) either; my profile says "You are not currently configured to receive any portal content" I don't know what that's about but I happened to have emailed Catherine and she told me!

Best of luck Zet125!! :)

• Advertisement

Thanks so much! I am also on the reserve list, do you know what place you are on the list?

Ya, I'm 12th! Hope this isn't too far away from being offered a place! From what has been mentioned here before, they have offered places to people as far back as 20th on the reserve list! What about yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pvlondon

Hi zet125 and Mimikins89,

I have also applied for this year's intake and am currently number 15 on the reserve list. I'm moving between feeling encouraged by this and trying not to get my hopes up! Do either of you have any idea of when they start turning to the reserve list for candidates? Thanks!

pvlondon wrote: »
    Hi zet125 and Mimikins89,

I have also applied for this year's intake and am currently number 15 on the reserve list. I'm moving between feeling encouraged by this and trying not to get my hopes up! Do either of you have any idea of when they start turning to the reserve list for candidates? Thanks!

I found out where I was on reserve a month ago- like you I didn't wanna get my hopes up but I keep wanting to ring to get an update on whether the list has moved or not! I imagined it might have moved a bit now as the start of his month was the deadline for the fort round offers to put the deposit down! Not sure though if it moved yet though!

Thanks for the quick reply! I was in touch with Christine Langan at UL today for some feedback and she said to check back with her around June for an update on the reserve list- Patience is not one of my strong points so I don't think I'll hold out till then :) I found out my place on the list 2 weeks ago so I'm going to give it another 2 weeks then get in touch for an update!

• Advertisement

Haha ya I don't fancy waiting till then either but June is very far off to wait to hear news! Will you updated us here if you hear if it moved at all? I'm managing (most of the time) to distract myself from thinking about it but it doesn't last too long! :)

I was in touch with Christine again a couple of days ago and she said a place had just been offered to the first reserve so the list is already moving! Will give it another 10 days or so and then get in touch to check if there's been more progress. Will definitely keep you guys updated on here and please do the same! :)

I was in touch with Christine again a couple of days ago and she said a place had just been offered to the first reserve so the list is already moving! Will give it another 10 days or so and then get in touch to check if there's been more progress. Will definitely keep you guys updated on here and please do the same! :)

That's great! Thanks pvlondon for keeping us informed! Yay one place closer :) I will be trying to keep the head down till maybe April and between then and start date I'd imagine they won't want to hear my name again I'll be ringing so much! 😉 I really am surprised that there aren't many ppl on forums! Must all be happy out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I didn't get in again this year :( 2nd rejection from UL SLT. I am hoping that it will be third time lucky next year. I'm just wondering for those on the reserve list what level is your degree, i.e 1st, 2:1, or do you have a postgraduate qualification?

I think you guys should be positive about being on the resrve list :) From previous years on here I think most of the people on the reserve list got places eventually. It always amazes me the amount of people who do not take up places!It makes me think that the selection criteria they have must not be great as surely people who are really passionate about SLT would take up a place instantly!

panda100 wrote: »
    I didn't get in again this year :( 2nd rejection from UL SLT. I am hoping that it will be third time lucky next year. I'm just wondering for those on the reserve list what level is your degree, i.e 1st, 2:1, or do you have a postgraduate qualification?

I think you guys should be positive about being on the resrve list :) From previous years on here I think most of the people on the reserve list got places eventually. It always amazes me the amount of people who do not take up places!It makes me think that the selection criteria they have must not be great as surely people who are really passionate about SLT would take up a place instantly!

That's true! Maybe some manage to hold a place and defer it till the next year in some circumstances but I know it would have to be serious to be allowed to do that! Maybe they get places offered for other courses first that they accepted ahead of an offer from UL? Just guessing as, you're right it's amazing to see how many places were taken from the reserve list in previous years.

As I'm on the reserve and not on the list I feel you should take this with a pinch of salt as such but I have a 2:1 in my primary degree and finishing a postgraduate now. I have a few years experience working with children and many of whom had speech and language difficulties though so I think the relevant experience helped my application a lot! They also give marks for interest and other relevant experiences and achievements too so looking at those areas could also get you some points on the application? I don't know for sure but worth trying! 😊 touch wood it goes well this year but if not hope we'll be seeing each othe next year!! ☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

That's true! Maybe some manage to hold a place and defer it till the next year in some circumstances but I know it would have to be serious to be allowed to do that! Maybe they get places offered for other courses first that they accepted ahead of an offer from UL? Just guessing as, you're right it's amazing to see how many places were taken from the reserve list in previous years.

As I'm on the reserve and not on the list I feel you should take this with a pinch of salt as such but I have a 2:1 in my primary degree and finishing a postgraduate now. I have a few years experience working with children and many of whom had speech and language difficulties though so I think the relevant experience helped my application a lot! They also give marks for interest and other relevant experiences and achievements too so looking at those areas could also get you some points on the application? I don't know for sure but worth trying! 😊 touch wood it goes well this year but if not hope we'll be seeing each othe next year!! ☺

I think considering it's the only postgrad SLT course in Ireland I find it surprising that anyone offered a place would turn it down for another offer, unless SLT was not their first choice. I know someone who was offered a place last year for UL SLT and didn't accept as they decided to go the psychology route instead. I think without an interview process they cannot really determine the genuine and dedicated individuals. It's just frustrating seeing people being offered places when they don't really want it that much. Anyway, that's my rant :)

Thnaks for the advice. Hopefully, you guys will get in this year. I would say your chances are pretty good.

Thanks Panda100! :) I agree about the interview process but am secretly delighted I didn't have to go through an interview- I hate those but then again, as you say, there would have been opportunity to demonstrate how eager you are to get onto the course! My attitude is that if I don't happen to be offered a place this year then I will have a whole year to strengthen my application for applying next year! It'll become more and more likely every year then! In that way you should have a stringer application next year!! :) Have you asked them about getting feedback on your application? I've heard they are very good at informing you on how you scored and such?

Thanks Panda100! :) I agree about the interview process but am secretly delighted I didn't have to go through an interview- I hate those but then again, as you say, there would have been opportunity to demonstrate how eager you are to get onto the course! My attitude is that if I don't happen to be offered a place this year then I will have a whole year to strengthen my application for applying next year! It'll become more and more likely every year then! In that way you should have a stronger application next year!! :) Have you asked them about getting feedback on your application? I've heard they are very good at informing you on how you scored and such?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Omallea6

Hi, i was accepted onto the speech and language therapy course starting August 2015 and I'm wondering if anyone else has been accepted too! Exciting!!!

Congratulations! What's the start date exactly do you know? Did you just hear? I wonder if not many people this year know about the group? Haven't heard from anyone else so far?...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Omallea6

Congratulations! What's the start date exactly do you know? Did you just hear? I wonder if not many people this year know about the group? Haven't heard from anyone else so far?...

I heard around the end of January :) start date is Monday the 24th of August! I Havnt heard from anyone either!! Eek!

Thanks- it's good to know the start date! They told us on the reserve that places can be offered right up till starting so nice to have an idea of time! :)

Hey so I contacted Christine today and the reserve list has still only one place offered from the reserves! I was speaking to her a bit and it seems that May and the summer are the most likely times for movement due to things like hearing back about grants etc so that may be a reason many don't take a place Panda101?

So May... hope these few months don't drag too much!

Hey so I contacted Christine today and the reserve list has still only one place offered from the reserves! I was speaking to her a bit and it seems that May and the summer are the most likely times for movement due to things like hearing back about grants etc so that may be a reason many don't take a place Panda100?

So May... hope these few months don't drag too much!

Only one place!? Slightly disappointing, was going to get in touch with her tomorrow to see if there had been any progress but maybe I should wait a bit longer. It's good to have a time in mind of when things might start moving, though May seems like a loooong time to wait for an answer!

Only one place!? Slightly disappointing, was going to get in touch with her tomorrow to see if there had been any progress but maybe I should wait a bit longer. It's good to have a time in mind of when things might start moving, though May seems like a loooong time to wait for an answer!

I know tell me about it! But it does make sense that it'd be that long now!
    I'll keep you posted from when I phone too- though I'm planning to wait a month yet! :D

God you've far more patience than me. Just out of interest- if you did get a place would you be looking for accommodation in Limerick/on campus or commuting in? I'm also aware of the fact that all this stuff might be more complicated to organise nearer the actual start date of the course, especially since I'm based in the UK and would be making a (big and scary) move over!

Gosh sorry I hadn't seen your reply till now (just logged in to say I rang and no new places offered yet- still only used one on the reserve) I plan to commute- that's the plan now anyway! It would be an hour I think each way for me?
    Wow! Moving from london- that's dedication! Fingers crossed for you! I think earlier on this thread others mentioned about accommodation on campus? ..

Hi Mimikins89,

I also got in touch with the department yesterday and yes, still just one place. Not sure what to make of it, but I suppose all there is to do and wait and see what happens!

Yes it's a huge commitment and would be a big change! I applied to City and UCL in London too but didn't get in, I've lived in Ireland before so in a way it would be less of a culture shock than going to somewhere like Sheffield or Newcastle, hence the application to UL.

Looked into accommodation a little but trying not to get too ahead of myself at the same time. An hours commute doesn't sound too bad.

Hope to be in touch with you with an update in about a month or so :)

• Advertisement

Hi pvlondon,
    Well I was told it'd really be after May if anything changed, so next month I'll definatly be contacting them too!
    Had you lived in Limerick itself before? I'm not familiar with the city myself but the campus was gorgeous when I went to the open day- could easily get used to attending! I feel like I'm defiantly getting ahead of myself just thinking of the possibility of starting- I can't help it! ( As you might be able to tell by the emphasis in exclamation marks which I just noticed I was doing!!) 😉 ;)

Advertisement