Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 242: Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Dustin Poirier [7 Sep, 19:00]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭average hero

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    Wow. Just wow.

I predicted a Khabib win but was wrong when I stated 'while not being impossible, I don't see Dustin being submitted'.

Khabib just put on a masterclass.

My analysis:
    Just before the fight I thought Dustin looked loose and relaxed, Khabib looked a bit more tense. D and K exchanged a nice combo but then K shot in at a ridiculous speed and wore D out. Whatever weight he puts on opponents, Dustin was knackered after that 1st round.

Start of the 2nd and Dustin knew he had to go for it and had a great combination that stung Khabib. Khabib lulled him over to the fence and once the next takedown happened, it was effectively over.

A third round Dustin was all but spent. He was hunched over at the end of the 2nd. Nearly got a guillotine. In the press conference he said he should have thrown his other foot over to be a full guard guillotine.

Khabib one of the greatest ever. I still think that Tony asks him different questions but I think Khabib wins that one too.

One thing my mate and I realised was that Khabib's relies heavily upon the fence. He utilises wrestling and judo trips very well. If it was straight JJ in the middle of the octagon, would it be so easy? I think defending Khabib would be better in the middle of the octagon as Conor showed in round 1. Genuine question - would like other's opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    Average Hero - I agree. I actually thought Conor would have done a lot better early against Khabib because he's very rarely backed up (particularly early in the fight) but usually keeps a bit of distance to get his timing on people shooting or swinging. He went toe to toe with Khabib for some reason, and paid the price.

Tony asks a lot of questions. Very tough, and endless energy. If Tony gets the same chance that Dustin did for the guillotine it could be a different story.

I really want to see Gaethje vs Khabib though, and Tony vs Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    The Nal wrote: »
    I understand both.

He's exceptional. Could be unbeatable.

But boring. No one wants to watch 15 minutes of methodical wrestling.

I think you'll find a lot of us would gladly watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Wow. Just wow.

I predicted a Khabib win but was wrong when I stated 'while not being impossible, I don't see Dustin being submitted'.

Khabib just put on a masterclass.

My analysis:
    Just before the fight I thought Dustin looked loose and relaxed, Khabib looked a bit more tense. D and K exchanged a nice combo but then K shot in at a ridiculous speed and wore D out. Whatever weight he puts on opponents, Dustin was knackered after that 1st round.

Start of the 2nd and Dustin knew he had to go for it and had a great combination that stung Khabib. Khabib lulled him over to the fence and once the next takedown happened, it was effectively over.

A third round Dustin was all but spent. He was hunched over at the end of the 2nd. Nearly got a guillotine. In the press conference he said he should have thrown his other foot over to be a full guard guillotine.

Khabib one of the greatest ever. I still think that Tony asks him different questions but I think Khabib wins that one too.

One thing my mate and I realised was that Khabib's relies heavily upon the fence. He utilises wrestling and judo trips very well. If it was straight JJ in the middle of the octagon, would it be so easy? I think defending Khabib would be better in the middle of the octagon as Conor showed in round 1. Genuine question - would like other's opinions.

Huge percentage of his takedowns are against the cage. It's chain wrestling as opposed to power doubles like GSP.

One thing that I think is that everybody has to play Khabibs game because they are assuming he is a superior wrestler( which is likely the case) and then trying to hit him on the breaks. I'd love a good wrestler to put him on the back foot, have we ever seen him defend takedowns? As he is so relentless pursuing the takedown himself his defensive wrestling is never tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭chin nuts

Gaejthe v khabib is the fight for me. Gaejthe has an incredible wrestling background even though he never utilises it in his fights. Khabib couldn't stand and trade with a crazy man like that but I reckon gaejthe could have a few answer for him on the ground. Tony has to be next tho.

Conor needs to work his way back in. Some tough fights for him at this division. Tony gaejthe even poirer is a different fighter than when last fought Conor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Khabib Nurmagomedov on Points
    The division just doesn't seem to have the wrestling or ground game to challenge Khabib.

Would love his next fights to be against Tony, Gaethje and then Gregor Gillepsie who's been climbing the ladder and looks to only be second to Khabib in terms of wrestling in the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    That Macachev looks good. Can see him challenging within 18 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Khabib Nurmagomedov on Points
    smilerf wrote: »
    That Macachev looks good. Can see him challenging within 18 months

Khabibs mate. Can't see it happening reckon khabib is retired in next two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Cupp3r

chin nuts wrote: »
    Gaejthe v khabib is the fight for me. Gaejthe has an incredible wrestling background even though he never utilises it in his fights. Khabib couldn't stand and trade with a crazy man like that but I reckon gaejthe could have a few answer for him on the ground. Tony has to be next tho.

Conor needs to work his way back in. Some tough fights for him at this division. Tony gaejthe even poirer is a different fighter than when last fought Conor.

Justin may Challenger Khabib but he wouldn't beat him. We need to look at how Khabib Utilies his skills, Sambo incorporates Judo and Wrestling skills which Khabib has in abundance. Gaejthe would struggle with being rag dolled like everyone does. He would be able to defend khabibs aggression on top better then most would but we would end up with the same result.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

ricero wrote:
    Would love his next fights to be against Tony, Gaethje and then Gregor Gillepsie who's been climbing the ladder and looks to only be second to Khabib in terms of wrestling in the division.
    Gotta agree with you on Gillespie. He will trouble anybody he fights. There are so many big names in the weight class though that it's going to take him some time to climb the rankings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Would diaz drop to 155 again to challenge the wrestling game of Khabib.? If so would khabib tend to stand and trade with Diaz knowing Diaz has ground credentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Macdarack wrote: »
    Would diaz drop to 155 again to challenge the wrestling game of Khabib.? If so would khabib tend to stand and trade with Diaz knowing Diaz has ground credentials.

Nate is weakest against wrestlers, he has little chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Macdarack wrote: »

Diaz would be a cakewalk for Khabib. People just don't get submitted from the bottom anymore. You just don't see people catching armbars or triangles from bottom at this level in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    So much nonsense on this thread havnt seen the likes since McGregor v Aldo

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Khabib is streets ahead of everyone yes you might say boring style but so affective and don’t think can be stopped
    Tony will give him best challenge but still come up short
    Nate would be well beaten but a fun build up there
    Holloway no chance either
    Conor would come up short again think khabib is just too good
    Khabib up to 170 would be interesting but think he said he would stay at 155

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    catrat12 wrote: »
    Khabib is streets ahead of everyone yes you might say boring style but so affective and don’t think can be stopped
    Tony will give him best challenge but still come up short
    Nate would be well beaten but a fun build up there
    Holloway no chance either
    Conor would come up short again think khabib is just too good
    Khabib up to 170 would be interesting but think he said he would stay at 155

That's cos he'd be the one being mauled at 170 by most of the top 5, much bigger lads up there and the top few are mostly wrestlers.

Awful stuff in this thread. Saying Nate wouldn't have a chance is just ridiculous. Nate is one of the smartest fighters you'll ever see. If you've ever watched him you'd know he can change it up to give him his best chance against any opponent.
    Saying a guy who won't move up weights even though he's clearly big enough to, and hasn't fought that many big names is the GOAT is insane.
    I could go on but I won't.

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Awful stuff in this thread. Saying Nate wouldn't have a chance is just ridiculous. Nate is one of the smartest fighters you'll ever see. If you've ever watched him you'd know he can change it up to give him his best chance against any opponent.
    Saying a guy who won't move up weights even though he's clearly big enough to, and hasn't fought that many big names is the GOAT is insane.

No doubt you've only seen Nate fight McGregor x2 and Petis.. he's the fighter with the least chance of beating Khabib.

Ok I'm gonna pose this to you. You say nate would have a chance ok? Khabib is a dominant wrestler (His style of fighting)

Can you please tell me why Nates been ragdolled by RDA, Benson Henderson, Rory MacDonald, Dong Hyung Kim, Clay Guida BUT YET you think he has a chance against Khabib

US2 wrote:
    No doubt you've only seen Nate fight McGregor x2 and Petis.. he's the fighter with the least chance of beating Khabib.
    I've seen a lot of his fights including losses to Benson Henderson and dos Anjos.
    Explain why he is the fighter least likely to beat Khabib? He is smart enough to keep it in the middle of the ring. If it goes to the ground there is every chance he controls it.

• Advertisement

I've seen a lot of his fights including losses to Benson Henderson and dos Anjos.
    Explain why he is the fighter least likely to beat Khabib? He is smart enough to keep it in the middle of the ring. If it goes to the ground there is every chance he controls it.

Every chance he controls it? Ah here I'm out.

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO

Give your head a shake man seriously, you clearly don't know what you're talking about. You're embarrassing yourself.

Dustin Poirier by Sub

Because he's lost to lesser wrestlers than Khabib.
    Nate would lose easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

McGregor is gonna get destroyed again I’m gonna be laughing so bad haha, Khabib is a monster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Conor beats Khabib 9 times out of 10. You can not deny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

you're trolling now man haha

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Khabib is unreal at what he does cant question that but personally i thought Dustin looked flustered and almost caught up in the ocassion before the forst bell went , i though it was a terrible preformance from him , he didnt know weather to engage or defend and got cuaght in the middle , He frankley looked like he froze and had a huge gas dump in the first round , I know how good Khabin is but j dont think Dustin made him even worl for that wom bar the choke attempt , , Even after round two saying" i just cant get this ****er off me " it was sheer panic surely he trained for it and knew the first few rpunds that could happen ,

Khabib is a beast at what he does it just such a shame there are no top level wrestlers who are top 5 lightweights to give him a proper fight , it mental seems like the only division lacking killer wrestlers , welter weight is stacked with them

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

chin nuts wrote: »

Styles make fights and Gaejthe is the best wrestler near the top ,
    Currently id only lile to see Khabib v Justin or Tony.no other fights are intresting at lightweight

Welter weight is a whole different story a good few lads whod give Khabib.huge problems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

I don't give Khabib much chance against Ferguson. 3 of Khabibs recent opponents have been ex 145lbers unproven against wrestlers, is it really any surprise he was able to control them so well on the ground? Tony has been successful at 170 against bigger guys, stopped people Khabib has gone to decisions against and been successful against wrestlers. He'd also be the longest opponent khabib has faced which means he'll be shooting from further away. And if he does get him down, Tony is by far the biggest submission threat out of any of Khabibs past opponents. In fact if you take Khabibs 5 past opponents, Tony has more submission wins than them all combined...and Dustin almost got him with a guillotine. I can see why Khabib was reluctant to say Tony is next. I think he fights Mcgregor again before that fight ever happens, his management will probably make sure of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What evidence from the last fight can you garner that lends to that statement?

McGregor has one win in the LW division, granted he has only fought twice but people go on like he's the greatest LW. I guarantee you he will struggle to beat the top 5 lightweights they have great endurance and if you take Conor past 2 rounds he tires very quickly.

The guy he beat for the LW belt, Eddie Alvarez doesn't even fight in the UFC anymore.

Advertisement