Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today Show with Sarah McInerney

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,414 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Ah yeah, didn't mean to insult French, it's just I heard Mary Kenny, Kevin Myers and Patricia Casey were on the lineup... hard pass (but each to their own of course)

By the way P French died of pneumonia which could be the fate of some of the attendees sitting in an open sided tent in the Irish "summer" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Ah yeah, didn't mean to insult French, it's just I heard Mary Kenny, Kevin Myers and Patricia Casey were on the lineup... hard pass (but each to their own of course)

It's a humdinger Ty... http://percyfrench.ie/festival-schedule-2020/

I haven't listened back yet, but smh at that lineup. What would Percy do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I've said it on the covid threads and I'll say it here again, that Mary Kelly is a megalomaniac.

I'd listened a fair bit to Sarah McInerney and I thought she lacked something, but I've got to say I was very impressed with how she handled this ignorant woman. The silences spoke volumes as Sarah just let her dig a hole and throw herself in. People like Kelly need to be confronted and made justify their positions. They are reckless and dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

s1ippy wrote: »
    I've said it on the covid threads and I'll say it here again, that Mary Kelly is a megalomaniac.

It's Mary Kenny, but, yes.

Mary Kenny is definitely a little out-there, and I disagree with a lot of the things she says, but I'm not so sure about her being a megalomaniac.
    Without wanting to patronise the woman, she's in her mid-70's. She's bound to have a vastly different outlook, beliefs, experiences of life than 20-something kids who are making fun of her on that platform, in a way that is a little OTT. Something really uncomfortable about that backlash, the brats.

I googled her age to write that paragraph. She's had a very interesting life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Kenny

• Advertisement

I’ve been impressed by Sarah McInerney from the start of her tenure on the Today programme. I think she should be made permanent; she’s good at it and is getting better as she gains more experience, competence and confidence.

So now I am starting to get even more concerned that RTÉ will do what it often does, namely not to choose the best person for the job, but one of the usual suspects who has “served their time”, or is related to someone else there, or one from Noel Kelly’s stable.

Oh well, we shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

Mary Lou is on now after being interviewed by Newstalk earlier this morning.

If you need her for anything best give her a ring today as it seems this week must be her week to do some work this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

I’ve been impressed by Sarah McInerney from the start of her tenure on the Today programme. I think she should be made permanent; she’s good at it and is getting better as she gains more experience, competence and confidence.

So now I am starting to get even more concerned that RTÉ will do what it often does, namely not to choose the best person for the job, but one of the usual suspects who has “served their time”, or is related to someone else there, or one from Noel Kelly’s stable.

Oh well, we shall see.

Definitely. I've been impressed with her. I'm not sure which if the usual suspects would go for the gig. Miriam is probably happy with her one day a week gig. Claire has young kids so the Lunchtime slot probably suits her for now. I think Sarah has a great chance to keep the slot and I hope she does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Currently I’d say she is the best presenter on air. If she keeps this up I hope she gets the gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

The normal SF answer for everything, free money for all and someone else will pay for it. I'd be very worried for the country if they ever got into power.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,119 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Klonker wrote: »
    The normal SF answer for everything, free money for all and someone else will pay for it. I'd be very worried for the country if they ever got into power.

Correct and right Mr K.

Not very forensic by Sarah, as usual she doesn’t seem to be able to pin ML down to hard figures.

Doesn’t seem to have the same ‘edge’ to her questioning when dealing with women that she adopts when dealing with men, in my opinion.

God help the poor hoor who ‘gets up early’ if that lot ever get into power, is all I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Stewball

You know Sarah is doing a great job when the Fine Failures are complaining she's not hard enough on Mary Lou.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Stewball wrote: »
    You know Sarah is doing a great job when the Fine Failures are complaining she's not hard enough on Mary Lou.

They are getting as bad as FG now to be fair with their Sinn Féin this Sinn Féin that.

It's good that they have such a strong party so they have no issues to worry about other than point scoring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

gourcuff wrote: »
    sarah has been good so far, why not let her have it permanently...

She is excellent, very sharp and capable. You’d have to wonder what instructions/directives she was given while on Newstalk as it was painful listening.

I know it’s debatable on what the higher profile position is but she should potentially replace that ditz Catríona Perry or that tool Brendan O Connor if it is a better role, far more talented than the two of them out together.

Reminded of Brendan o Connors monologue when he was whinging like a child during the lockdown and the apocalypse had struck “remember all of you that are cocooning, don’t forget what comes from a cocoon...a beautiful butterfly” sweet Jesus. Not only the content but that ear piercing disgusting accent.

Darcy, Tubridy, Perry and Brendan O Connor. These are the reasons people do not want to pay their license fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Darcy, Tubridy, Perry and Brendan O Connor. These are the reasons people do not want to pay their license fees.

They are the reasons you don’t want to pay for a licence, dude. Lot of decent folks have no issue with any of those presenters, or paying for public service broadcasting. I happen to think O’Connor is excellent.

They are getting as bad as FG now to be fair with their Sinn Féin this Sinn Féin that.

It's good that they have such a strong party so they have no issues to worry about other than point scoring

Unlike the Shinners, they do have a country to run.

Unlike the Shinners they can’t sit back and ‘call’ for this that and the divil an all and spend taxpayers money to do it.

But please let’s not let the ‘grunts’ from SF turn this thread into a dancing on the head of a pin ‘debate’

I will be strictly on topic a after this post.

Thanking youuuuu..........

Every party has shown itself to be equally adept at both providing examples of dubious behaviour while wailing and gnashing of teeth at the exploits of the members of other parties.

People in Glasshouses is a phrase evidently no longer in use within most political organisations. I actually think the whole Covid-19 thing has played a part in this because some of the chest thumping that has gone on over the last couple months has been ramped up a notch.

They are the reasons you don’t want to pay for a licence, dude. Lot of decent folks have no issue with any of those presenters, or paying for public service broadcasting. I happen to think O’Connor is excellent.

And furthermore you can listen to them all throughout the day and catch their podcasts all night without paying a penny.

I know, dude. But I have no choice, dude. So I pay for it, dude and a lot of decent folk have issues with those presenters, dude, but they have no choice but to pay it, which is wrong, dude.

“remember all of you that are cocooning, don’t forget what comes from a cocoon...a beautiful butterfly” - Brendan O Connor.

Poignant, deep

• Advertisement

I know, dude. But I have no choice, dude. So I pay for it, dude and a lot of decent folk have issues with those presenters, dude, but they have no choice but to pay it, which is wrong, dude.

“remember all of you that are cocooning, don’t forget what comes from a cocoon...a beautiful butterfly” - Brendan O Connor.

Poignant, deep

Dude, take a look at yourself.

Dude, take a look at yourself.

I’m looking, dude. All good, dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Poignant, deep

Brendan was speaking off the cuff and trying to lift the spirits of his listeners. Internalising what he said, and then using it as a flaccid and tiny stick with which to try and beat him comes across as a bit odd, dude.

Radio is free dudes.

I’m looking, dude. All good, dude.

Not from my seat, dude, unstable approach detected...... go around.

Dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

There's one other person I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned, and that's Audrey Carville. She can handle light topics and the more serious stuff with ease. And is one of the few broadcasters (along with Claire Byrne) with experience in various different stations including foreign media.
    serfboard wrote:
    In relation to successors, ye all seem to be forgetting the Morning Ireland crew. Surely some of them might appreciate not having to get up at godawful o'clock? The current lineup there is Rachel English, Gavin Jennings, Audrey Carville and Dobbo. All very good presenters.
    May not have been "mentioned" (i.e. plugged) in the media, but has been mentioned here by those who appreciate her qualities.

In my not unreasonable guesstimation, there are two possible reasons for people being "mentioned" in the media - one is that they're Noel Kelly clients, and the other is that the decision has been made and it's being leaked to see if any of the other primadonnas throw a hissy fit.

Primadonnas being a gender-neutral term, of course.

https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1282555489205747712

Time will tell what actually happens but if Clare gets the role and it isn't very successful, there will be a fair amount of uproar at Sarah having been pushed to the side.
    It happened her with Ivan coming back to NT, and possibly now again.

Hard to know the motivation of putting it in paper yesterday, maybe to temper Sarah negotiations for long term role, maybe to test water as to how people respond.

serfboard wrote: »
    May not have been "mentioned" (i.e. plugged) in the media, but has been mentioned here by those who appreciate her qualities.

In my not unreasonable guesstimation, there are two possible reasons for people being "mentioned" in the media - one is that they're Noel Kelly clients, and the other is that the decision has been made and it's being leaked to see if any of the other primadonnas throw a hissy fit.

Primadonnas being a gender-neutral term, of course.

Funnily enough, none of the broadcasters from RTE Current Affairs seem to be with Noel Kelly, unless you include Tubridy as current affairs. The only big names he has from Radio 1 or Newstalk are Ryan Tubridy, Ciara Kelly, and Pat Kenny. I don't even recognise most of NK's radio clients because they are probably on 2fm.

https://www.nkmanagement.ie/uploads/7/3/5/1/73514907/nk_management_2020_talent_brochure_.pdf

Edit: Claire Byrne also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Funnily enough, none of the broadcasters from RTE Current Affairs seem to be with Noel Kelly
    That's because most of the Current Affairs crew are staffers.

Noel is useful if you're trying to get up the ladder, or if you're interested in a few corporate gigs from time to time.

Otherwise, if you've been made a staffer, and you have no need of outside income, then you've no need of Noel.

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »
    That's because most of the Current Affairs crew are staffers.

Noel is useful if you're trying to get up the ladder, or if you're interested in a few corporate gigs from time to time.

Otherwise, if you've been made a staffer, and you have no need of outside income, then you've no need of Noel.
    Actually I've just looked again at that link, and Claire Byrne is on it. So 3/10 top 10 earners but an awful lot of C-listers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement