Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luke Kelly statue vandalised

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thats very optimistic to think a lot of underprivileged areas have these facilities. I've never seen it myself, I doubt many have. I have seen many, many horses being treated horribly and without any sign of vet care or just care in general. If you're keeping your horse on an estate or illegally in someone elses field, you shouldn't have a horse.

Ballymun had (I think its gone now) the Ballymun Horse Owners Association, they had stables (of sorts) up opposite the last blocks of Balcurris Road flats in an area we used to call (as kids) 'the seven pitches'.

Didn't stop them 'owners' going into Finglas & Coolock to rob other horses and tying them up around Ballymun and Poppintree (even in their back gardens and courts).

The poor horses lead totally miserable lives in these area's, horribly mistreated by the same little cretins who are out robbing motorbikes to rally them around the same estates and fields.

Ask the vest, vast majority of people in Ballymun what that horse and rider statue represents in 'the comp and this is what they'll tell you.

I'd love to see the uproar had someone tried to erect that monstrosity in Foxrock.

It said here that it was moved because of the Metro North plans:

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0914/727699-bronze-statue-unveiled-in-ballymun/

Metro article my arse, don't mind what that says.

The statue was constantly vandalized because they people of Ballymun hated the thing, so it was moved into the grounds of the comp (Ballymun Comprehensive school) where its surrounded by locked gates and high walls when the school is closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

If you don't have the facilities, don't get a damn horse, get a fcukin hamster or goldfish.

Or a terrapin called Terry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Why dont they just bomb it like they did with Nelsons?

Kelly was always very open about his love of the brits and his time spent living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ballymun had (I think its gone now) the Ballymun Horse Owners Association, they had stables (of sorts) up opposite the last blocks of Balcurris Road flats in an area we used to call (as kids) 'the seven pitches'.

Didn't stop them 'owners' going into Finglas & Coolock to rob other horses and tying them up around Ballymun and Poppintree (even in their back gardens and courts).

The fella who ran that was a neighbor of mine, it was the old Workmans Club. he wasnt a bad sort, ran a horse transport business. His horses were well looked after, anyway

The little knacks on the other hand...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Metro article my arse, don't mind what that says.

The statue was constantly vandalized because they people of Ballymun hated the thing, so it was moved into the grounds of the comp (Ballymun Comprehensive school) where its surrounded by locked gates and high walls when the school is closed.

I only ever saw that school from the outside looks like a prison with the high walls. :eek:

Sad state of affairs that things have to protected and locked away. At least you are from the area and can say it as it is. Since the regeneration a lot of the talk from the outside seemed to be sort of arty farty and idealism. Always talking things up, new hope, new dawn etc.

I dunno what is going to be done with this Luke Kelly head. As a last resort. Maybe O'Donoghues Pub could buy it and have it as a centre piece?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

I only ever saw that school from the outside looks like a prison with the high walls. :eek:

Sad state of affairs that things have to protected and locked away. At least you are from the area and can say it as it is. Since the regeneration a lot of the talk from the outside seemed to be sort of arty farty and idealism. Always talking things up, new hope, new dawn etc.

I dunno what is going to be done with this Luke Kelly head. As a last resort. Maybe O'Donoghues Pub could buy it and have it as a centre piece?

There wouldn't be much room left in O'Donoghues if that thing was put inside.
    Imagine the hassle for the staff trying to clean the manky 'hair' every week after drink is spilled over it.
    "Jaysus, there's some bang off Luke tonight"

Hopefully it will stop after this 47 year old gob****e from Sean McDermott street got his wrap on the knuckles.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2020/0714/1153231-michael-dunne-court/

Pushing 50 and going around deliberately doing that sort of thing, what a class act!

Someone put up this innovative solution on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/hqjrqd/luke_kelly_statue_vandalism_problem_solved_simply/ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Are we really arguing that horses in council estates held on scrub land is a good thing?

I think the argument is that they could be doing worse things?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

Why dont they just bomb it like they did with Nelsons?

Kelly was always very open about his love of the brits and his time spent drinking there.

Fixed your post, no charge ;)

• Advertisement

At least you are from the area and can say it as it is. Since the regeneration a lot of the talk from the outside seemed to be sort of arty farty and idealism. Always talking things up, new hope, new dawn etc.
    I don't know which is worse, people showing open hostility towards their own community; or outsiders begrudging them a harmless slogan like "new hope".

God protect the young people of Ballymun from a bit of idealism.

I don't know which is worse, people showing open hostility towards their own community; or outsiders begrudging them a harmless slogan like "new hope".

God protect the young people of Ballymun from a bit of idealism.

Ah all nampy-pamby and touchy feely guff annoys me. I am a cynical auld git.
    But if you buy into all the 'new hope' stuff, more power to ya!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would guess using 'No Hope' might seem a bit demotivational

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I would guess using 'No Hope' might seem a bit demotivational

Well done. :D
    If slogans like that were used in disadvantaged areas, at least it bring about a bit of realism.
    It could work in a reverse psychology manner. Someone could spray paint over the 'no' and feel good about themselves when left with - 'hope'. :rolleyes:

The Ballymun regeneration has been a clusterfvck from the start.

Any of the older Ballymun residents will tell you that apart from the anti social problems in the it still had a community. It had a shopping center with a bank & post office, two pubs in the SC (The Penthouse and The Towers) and a medical center but that's all gone now and now the nearest shopping center is the Omni in Santry, a very long way from most of Ballymun's residents.

But most important of all it had lots and lots of green area's, replaced by high density housing & CCTV camera's, which are surrounded by bollards and other security measures to stop them being destroyed.

If you go to any of the few Ballymun facebook groups you'll see the destruction the regeneration has brought to the community. Just counting the CCTV camera's around the Poppintree ring road there are over 30 (from memory I think I counted 36), and they haven't stopped hoards of teens and preteens wheelies scramblers and quads up and down Balbutcher Lane. Plus the CCTV cams have drove the drug dealing into the courts, go into the courts any day or night and you could be forgiven in thinking you're on the set of The Wire.

A Tyrant Named Miltiades, spend an evening in Ballymun or Sheriff Street (proper), you'd be eaten alive. They'd have you sussed in minutes and they've put a green light on you.

If people like you like statues like horses with young tracksuit wearing riders then try erect one in Foxrock or some of the other leafy suburbs and they too will eat you alive.

Anyone remember the Cows parade in 2003?.. LINK

Yup, they too had to be relocated because of mindless vandalism
    The CowParade has run successfully in several other cities around the world, including London, Auckland, New York and Sydney. In no other city have cows needed to be relocated.

"In Dublin, they were damaged so quickly and so extensively," Mr Gerard Beshoff, the project director of CowParade Ireland, said. "The one on Liffey Street was beheaded. Someone needed a saw to do that; it was fibreglass.

"Both wings were torn off the one in Westmoreland Street. One was stolen, but later recovered. They all had graffiti on them within hours."

"It's so depressing, but not surprising," Ms Amy Wallace, account executive of CowParade Ireland, said. "The awful thing is, we were kind of expecting it in Dublin."

Right back to the Luke Kelly statue. Like most people I think its grotesque too, but it shouldn't be attacked, but it will be. This will be a continuing story.

The Ballymun regeneration has been a clusterfvck from the start.

Any of the older Ballymun residents will tell you that apart from the anti social problems in the it still had a community. It had a shopping center with a bank & post office, two pubs in the SC (The Penthouse and The Towers) and a medical center but that's all gone now and now the nearest shopping center is the Omni in Santry, a very long way from most of Ballymun's residents.

But most important of all it had lots and lots of green area's, replaced by high density housing & CCTV camera's, which are surrounded by bollards and other security measures to stop them being destroyed.

If you go to any of the few Ballymun facebook groups you'll see the destruction the regeneration has brought to the community. Just counting the CCTV camera's around the Poppintree ring road there are over 30 (from memory I think I counted 36), and they haven't stopped hoards of teens and preteens wheelies scramblers and quads up and down Balbutcher Lane. Plus the CCTV cams have drove the drug dealing into the courts, go into the courts any day or night and you could be forgiven in thinking you're on the set of The Wire.

A Tyrant Named Miltiades, spend an evening in Ballymun or Sheriff Street (proper), you'd be eaten alive. They'd have you sussed in minutes and they've put a green light on you.

If people like you like statues like horses with young tracksuit wearing riders then try erect one in Foxrock or some of the other leafy suburbs and they too will eat you alive.

Anyone remember the Cows parade in 2003?.. LINK

Yup, they too had to be relocated because of mindless vandalism

Right back to the Luke Kelly statue. Like most people I think its grotesque too, but it shouldn't be attacked, but it will be. This will be a continuing story.

Spent all of my youf growing up in the 70's and 80's between Finglas and Ballymun, taught in the comp a bit in the 90's and still live here, What he said!

Spent all of my youf growing up in the 70's and 80's between Finglas and Ballymun, taught in the comp a bit in the 90's and still live here, What he said!

I'm guessing teaching in The Comp had its challenges in the 90's?.

Heroin was hitting Ballymun particularly hard in the 80's and 90's. I was out of my teens by the late 80's and away from the blocks (but still living in Poppintree, but not around the blocks anymore. I'm sure if you were a teacher in the comp you'll get me).

I've long moved on from growing up in Ballymun and starting a family in Sheriff St and Eastwall, my children were the first in my family to move into third level education but my folks, brother and sister are still living in Ballymun and my roots are still there.

Growing up in the old Ballymun was fantastic, I've brilliant memories of 'the flats, 'the seven pitches, Santry woods etc.. All my family done well for themselves but we know 'the sh*t too so when people who haven't a clue what growing up in these area's telling us how we should see and thinking of ourselves they'll have to forgive me for thinking they're a little foolish, butt out of it because well, they'd have a green light put on them in these area's and eaten alive.

Right my last word on it, I wonder at the likes of the simple fool who is charged in vandalizing the Luke Kelly head, no doubt the asshole needs a slap or twelve up side the head.

Nice trip down memory lane all the same. Tough times but right now I wouldn't change it for a thing, I'm equipt to deal with any asshole who thinks he can step up to me and my community.

So teaching in The Comp, there must be a book in you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ring-a-ring a rosie, as the light declines...

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Ring-a-ring a rosie, as the light declines...

I remember Dublin city in the rare ould times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I'm guessing teaching in The Comp had its challenges in the 90's?.

Heroin was hitting Ballymun particularly hard in the 80's and 90's. I was out of my teens by the late 80's and away from the blocks (but still living in Poppintree, but not around the blocks anymore. I'm sure if you were a teacher in the comp you'll get me).

I've long moved on from growing up in Ballymun and starting a family in Sheriff St and Eastwall, my children were the first in my family to move into third level education but my folks, brother and sister are still living in Ballymun and my roots are still there.

Growing up in the old Ballymun was fantastic, I've brilliant memories of 'the flats, 'the seven pitches, Santry woods etc.. All my family done well for themselves but we know 'the sh*t too so when people who haven't a clue what growing up in these area's telling us how we should see and thinking of ourselves they'll have to forgive me for thinking they're a little foolish, butt out of it because well, they'd have a green light put on them in these area's and eaten alive.

Right my last word on it, I wonder at the likes of the simple fool who is charged in vandalizing the Luke Kelly head, no doubt the asshole needs a slap or twelve up side the head.

Nice trip down memory lane all the same. Tough times but right now I wouldn't change it for a thing, I'm equipt to deal with any asshole who thinks he can step up to me and my community.

So teaching in The Comp, there must be a book in you :)

There is some amount of rose tinted rubbish in this post.

"Put a green light on ... Slap upside the head"

Ascribing noble principled reasons for the vandalism of the statue. The statue is vandalised for one simple reason. Rats who have nothing better to do with their time other than to cause a nuisance. Nothing to do with having an objection to the statue.

Your hard man act on here is tiresome. You're a spoofer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Ascribing noble principled reasons for the vandalism of the statue. The statue is vandalised for one simple reason. Rats who have nothing better to do with their time other than to cause a nuisance. Nothing to do with having an objection to the statue.

That's a very odd and inaccurate interpretation of the above post.

Did you read the same post as me? There was no mention of the scumbags who lived there at the time, the drug dealers, the vandals and the fact that if you didn't grow up there you were taking your life in your hands walking down certain roads! True! But there was no denial that they were there either! Rather there was reference to the great amount of good there was in those places too, friends and neighbors ready to help at the drop of a hat, the fact that there were lovely open spaces too for kids to grow up in and have adventures and skinned knees, I kissed my first girl on the seven pitches :D Misty eyed? Probably but so what? True? Certainly!

Don't know about you but I remember all the good of growing up where I lived more than I decry the bad!

The Comp?:D The tales I could tell:D

Hard Man? I have walked down many dark streets in many cities, I'm no hard man, but I am confident that I am competent enough to walk them without fear! (but with a big stick ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

They should be forced to join the army or the navy the fcukin useless layabouts and take them off the streets.
    They’re decades laying about claiming their entitlements while normal people head off to work for the day.
    Meanwhile johnny the pond rat sits at home drinking,drugging and being a nuisance to society.there isn’t a days good in them pond rats and the more resources thrown at them the more they want and the more we waste.
    The pond rat breeds then to ensure the next generation of layabouts all the while spending his or her entitlements on their own selfish needs instead of providing for the pond rat litter.
    It’s the state’s responsibility to rear them.
    A fcukin jokeshop of a country.
    He hadn’t even the guts to admit he did it then so it’s an expensive case in September with the tax payer footing the bill for the pond rats day out.
    A grade A pond rat that is and there’s a pocket of them in every parish in the country.
    A vermin on society.

What the fcuk would they do in the army of navy? The defence forces isn't a babysitting service for scumbags.

And a jokeshop of a country you say? Point out a country that isn't a jokeshop because no scumbags exist in that country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

Paddy, are you too new on boards or just unaware of Makikomi's background to post something stupid like that ?

Did you read the same post as me? There was no mention of the scumbags who lived there at the time, the drug dealers, the vandals and the fact that if you didn't grow up there you were taking your life in your hands walking down certain roads! True! But there was no denial that they were there either! Rather there was reference to the great amount of good there was in those places too, friends and neighbors ready to help at the drop of a hat, the fact that there were lovely open spaces too for kids to grow up in and have adventures and skinned knees, I kissed my first girl on the seven pitches :D Misty eyed? Probably but so what? True? Certainly!

Don't know about you but I remember all the good of growing up where I lived more than I decry the bad!

The Comp?:D The tales I could tell:D

Hard Man? I have walked down many dark streets in many cities, I'm no hard man, but I am confident that I am competent enough to walk them without fear! (but with a big stick ;))

Yea Ballymun had its problems, a lot of problems in fact and made worse by the regeneration project.

Remember the Concerned Parents Against Drugs marches on dealers, the SF/IRA prisoner (they called them POW's) fund raising rallies in the field behind Coultry Flats and the strong NaFianna Eireann presence.

In the early 70's the flats became a dumping ground for the poor people of Belfast who were ran out of their houses, we called them 'the refugees', which they were of course.

I think Ballymun was fairly unique in that it was one of the first satelite towns to be built in the country and lots of mistakes were made, but like I said it had a great community too.

Anyway.

Luke Kelly, the horse in the comp and the cows parade.. All attacked by pricks with little else to occupy their time with.

Paddy Losty, the taxi driver.. I'm not a hard man by any stretch of the imagination. I'm fairly open about myself here and I'm a straight talker (which probably rubs some people up the wrong way but thats never my intention. I'm also one of the very few who has posted photos of themselves (you'll find them if you look), the Judo club I train in, where I run and swim (all easily found with a search). Now you make yourself look small (btw, I was in your taxi if you remember. You are a small little overweight lad) when you name call over an interest forum, grow a pair if you want to do that crap ;). Other than that I wish you the best, it can't be easy working a taxi during the virus. You didn't look the fittest or in great health so take it easy and look after your health.

Right, I'm just off for a nap. Being a hard man & a spoofer is damned tiring the older one gets :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Pintman Paddy Losty and Makikomi, cut out the squabbling or further sanctions will follow

Mod Snip

Ah look it there's no point in carrying it on.

Give Luke Kelly's head peace :)

All joking aside it must be awful for Luke's family to see the constant vandalism, as awful as it is to most people its still a reminder of the great man he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Paddy Losty, the taxi driver.. I was in your taxi if you remember. You are a small little overweight lad)

Fcuking LOL! :pac:

Also, havent read the whole thread, is yer man that has been arrested allegedly responsible for all the vandalism of Lukes mush or just one count?

Fcuking LOL! :pac:

Also, havent read the whole thread, is yer man that has been arrested allegedly responsible for all the vandalism of Lukes mush or just one count?

Just one account of vandalism, the last one.

Signed 'ardman of AH :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Not going to engage with that poster any further as there is a mod warning in place.

Just like to set the record straight though. I'm not a taximan, and if I was I would only take fairs in the nicer parts of the southside and the coast.

Advertisement