Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luke Kelly statue vandalised

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Balagan1

Looks like a head hacked off by Isis. Get rid of it and replace it with a scholarship for a singer or musician in Luke's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

typically a life sized seemingly chocolate covered figure, this one a bit different in that it's an ugly, outlandishly huge disembodied head, resembling one of those traitors heads on a spike of yore.

Thats the problem with nearly every statue we put up now, like the Phil Lynnott one or the other Luke Kelly statue, they're just life sized.

They might as well be one of those spray painted Grafton street performers.

We should have great, big **** off neo classical yokes not this modern guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bambi wrote: »
    Thats the problem with nearly every statue we put up now, like the Phil Lynnott one or the other Luke Kelly statue, they're just life sized.

They might as well be one of those spray painted Grafton street performers.

We should have great, big **** off neo classical yokes not this modern guff.

Replace Daniel O'Connell with Jim Gavin for a start! Neo classical kinda looks boring and samey though. No harm with the artist having a bit of fun with it imo.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I like the statue I have to say. It would be ruined by putting it up high or surrounded by fencing, would lose the impact.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Just looking at it again and if you didn't know who it was it does look like a severed head with the mouth gaping in a death mask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

How did it cost 80,000?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,958 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

How did it cost 80,000?

I saw that this morning 80k wtf, they've had got a better and cheaper job from the local primary school art class.

Intriguing a 47 year old man charged with damaging this monstrosity, perhaps an art critic

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

62 previous convictions, how the fook is someone with more form than fookin Ladbrokes still wandering the streets without let nor hinderance?

There is not a single political party in this country willing to deal with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

62 previous convictions, how the fook is someone with more form than fookin Ladbrokes still wandering the streets without let nor hinderance?

Because there isn't enough money to build, or keep people like that in prisons.

Imagine how many other crimes he's actually gotten away with.

• Advertisement

septictank wrote: »

Ages match anyway, did time for killing a fella aged 15, slashed a fella open aged 25, found time 67 convictions in his 47 years

How the fook is a toerag like that not in prison for life?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Effects wrote: »

They should be forced to join the army or the navy the fcukin useless layabouts and take them off the streets.
    They’re decades laying about claiming their entitlements while normal people head off to work for the day.
    Meanwhile johnny the pond rat sits at home drinking,drugging and being a nuisance to society.there isn’t a days good in them pond rats and the more resources thrown at them the more they want and the more we waste.
    The pond rat breeds then to ensure the next generation of layabouts all the while spending his or her entitlements on their own selfish needs instead of providing for the pond rat litter.
    It’s the state’s responsibility to rear them.
    A fcukin jokeshop of a country.
    He hadn’t even the guts to admit he did it then so it’s an expensive case in September with the tax payer footing the bill for the pond rats day out.
    A grade A pond rat that is and there’s a pocket of them in every parish in the country.
    A vermin on society.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭septictank

Ages match anyway, did time for killing a fella aged 15, slashed a fella open aged 25, found time 67 convictions in his 47 years

How the fook is a toerag like that not in prison for life?

Wouldn't you like to be some old boy walking up to him late at night saying "What do you think you are doing there"?

Seen him on Tv leaving the court, looks out of it.

Effects wrote: »

Imagine how many other crimes he's actually gotten away with.

We spend 5.5 billion every year on NGOs

Lets create an NGO called the National Council for Civil Protection and give them enough money to build a f**k off prison and keep these recidivist knackbags safely tucked away in there for very long spells

Celebrating people in council houses who keep horses as "pets".
    Perhaps they should have another sculpture, a scrawny, ill treated horse on deaths door tied up with a blue nylon rope.

You think that's it? You think the message of that sculpture is to encourage people to keep horses in their gardens?

I have no words. You're missing the point completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

He hadn’t even the guts to admit he did it then so it’s an expensive case in September with the tax payer footing the bill for the pond rats day out.

They never admit it when caught. It's got nothing to do with having guts. It's just how guys like that live. They don't care about how much it costs. The government is there to look after them no matter what.

I'd a mate who used to work defending people like that. Often, no matter how much evidence there was against them, they'd insist on pleading not guilty. Often with the mantra, "you never know what'll happen on the day".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Coming into our area from Sean Mc Dermott Street..

You think that's it? You think the message of that sculpture is to encourage people to keep horses in their gardens?

The point is that it was your typical patronising load of bollocks, a negative sterotype transformed by the genius of the artiste into an empowering symbol of emancipation, bestowed upon the plebs by the artiste as if he was some benevloent missionary amongst the natives.

It's a chung wan in a tracksuit on a horse, stuck in a neighborhood where most people hate those ****ing horses and the little bollixes on them. Might as well have stuck her up on a scrambler :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

But d'bankerz

The point is that it was your typical patronising load of bollocks, a negative sterotype transformed by the genius of the artiste into an empowering symbol of emancipation, bestowed upon the plebs by the artiste as if he was some benevloent missionary amongst the natives.

It's a chung wan in a tracksuit on a horse, stuck in a neighborhood where most people hate those ****ing horses and the little bollixes on them. Might as well have stuck her up on a scrambler :D
    If people don't like their area being associated with urban horses, I get that. But don't come along saying the artist is trying to encourage people to keep animals illegally.

But I know that a lot of guys from underprivileged parts of Dublin have ended up training in RACE in Kildare, and subsequently ended up on yards and getting rides. Others might have left horses behind them or gone in other directions, but horses would have given them some focus and discipline down the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

How has it anything to do with anti-social behaviour?

The statue is re-cast from that of an Anglo-Irish hero blown up by the republicans, and presumably the message here is that young people (young women, even) can be heroes in the new republic. That's what I assume it is anyway.

The fact that she's bareback astride the horse is a throwback to those TV images we're familiar with down the years of Ballymun. Her past is actually supporting her progress, she's taking the horse with her. I don't know, I found it very uplifting, but of course it won't be to everyone's liking.

But how you thought it was supporting anti social behaviour, I'm confused. You're worried it might encourage kids to get into horses? Good! I hope it does,

I hope not, the horse needs a saddle ideally and proper care and maintenance.

The statue reflects exactly zero of any of that.

I hope not, the horse needs a saddle ideally and proper care and maintenance.

The statue reflects exactly zero of any of that.

Do you ride?

A rider needs a saddle to learn to ride. Once you learn to ride, there is no problem in riding without a saddle; obviously not doing fast work, but still. Some people love it.

Anyway you can get saddles for fifty or sixty quid. The tack isn't the issue. If they have enough food and water and are seeing a vet and getting their feet seen, that'd be my only big query. There are organisations that do that now, in areas like Ballyfermot I believe. They might even have an equestrian centre. Isn't that good?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Do you ride?

A rider needs a saddle to learn to ride. Once you learn to ride, there is no problem in riding without a saddle; obviously not doing fast work, but still. Some people love it.

Anyway you can get saddles for fifty or sixty quid. The tack isn't the issue. If they have enough food and water and are seeing a vet and getting their feet seen, that'd be my only big query. There are organisations that do that now, in areas like Ballyfermot I believe. They might even have an equestrian centre. Isn't that good?

No I don't, I actually think it's cruel IMO.

My understanding is that it's unpleasant for the horse to not have a saddle.

It's grand if the horse is being taken care of, but the character portrayed in the statue (and therefore representative of a certain demographic) wouldn't exactly fill you with confidence as a kind of clarion call to impressionable youths.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Are we really arguing that horses in council estates held on scrub land is a good thing?

No I don't, I actually think it's cruel IMO.

My understanding is that it's unpleasant for the horse to not have a saddle.

But where are you getting that understanding?I don't know who anyone who rides and doesn't occasionally do it, even just for fun. In fact, it's a reasonably common practice to teach kids to improve by riding without a saddle -- it improves your seat and teaches you how to carry your legs.

As I said, you need a saddle to learn to ride. But this is getting off the issue somewhat. Tack can be bought cheaply, and anyway, a lot of these underprivileged areas seem to have equestrian facilities now. Cherry Orchard certainly does.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

a lot of these underprivileged areas seem to have equestrian facilities now. Cherry Orchard certainly does.

Thats very optimistic to think a lot of underprivileged areas have these facilities. I've never seen it myself, I doubt many have. I have seen many, many horses being treated horribly and without any sign of vet care or just care in general. If you're keeping your horse on an estate or illegally in someone elses field, you shouldn't have a horse.

Anyway, 47 year old man spray painting a statue of an Irish legend, is there anything f*cking sadder? The twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If you don't have the facilities, don't get a damn horse, get a fcukin hamster or goldfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Do you ride?

The saddle you’d get for 50 quid would be pure rubbish.would be uncomfortable for the horse and would do more harm than good.
    Also who’s paying the bills on the organisations?are the owners paying the vet and farrier fees or is it another freebie for the entitled?
    It’s very simple in my view. If you haven’t the money or the facilities to care for and shelter a horse you simply shouldn’t have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

The saddle you’d get for 50 quid would be pure rubbish.would be uncomfortable for the horse and would do more harm than good.
    Also who’s paying the bills on the organisations?are the owners paying the vet and farrier fees or is it another freebie for the entitled?
    It’s very simple in my view. If you haven’t the money or the facilities to care for and shelter a horse you simply shouldn’t have one.

Went to the last page of the story about Luke Kelly's statue and seem to have been re directed to the horse forum somehow :)

• Advertisement

You could have found this out the way I did, using google, but the one in Cherry Orchard runs FETAC courses, so they're being paid to give people recognized qualifications and, you know, a job.

I'm sure you'll find some way to criticise that.

Advertisement