Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luke Kelly statue vandalised

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

In Ballymun comprehensive school they've a statue of a young trollop in a tracksuit riding a horse bareback lol (for real)

519761.jpeg

What no blue rope for a bridle?And I've never seen their horses looking so well cared for!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

What is the reasoning behind the vandalism? Is there a message behind it? Am I missing something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

clio_16v wrote: »
    What is the reasoning behind the vandalism? Is there a message behind it? Am I missing something?

Just normal garden variety scum. They know now that it will be reported so more of a buzz knowing that the whole country thinks they are vermin rather than just their neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 24,929 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What no blue rope for a bridle?And I've never seen their horses looking so well cared for!

What sort of tax payers money was spent putting up a big fùck off statue of sombody on a horse... in a school ?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Just normal garden variety scum. They know now that it will be reported so more of a buzz knowing that the whole country thinks they are vermin rather than just their neighbours

All reports suggest it is an older man who is responsible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

pjproby wrote: »
    All reports suggest it is an older man who is responsible

A vintage pond rat no less.a survivor he is and an absolute blessing to his community.
    What a time to be alive

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

:D
    That statue depicts a mightier steed than one would normal see tethered to a goalpost

In Ballymun comprehensive school they've a statue of a young trollop in a tracksuit riding a horse bareback lol (for real)
    Why did you say "trollop"?

There's a good story behind that equestrian statue. Apparently the horse is a replica of a statue of some Anglo-Irish soldier in the Pheonix Park, who was blown up by republicans. The horse is the same, but the new rider is a young woman, and the name of the sculpture is Misneach, that means "Courage".

https://thesilvervoice.wordpress.com/2018/02/12/misneach-the-ballymun-sculpture/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

There's a good story behind that equestrian statue. Apparently the horse is a replica of a statue of some Anglo-Irish soldier in the Pheonix Park, who was blown up by republicans. The horse is the same, but the new rider is a young woman, and the name of the sculpture is Misneach, that means "Courage".

https://thesilvervoice.wordpress.com/2018/02/12/misneach-the-ballymun-sculpture/

He was calling football players ‘pansies’ and ‘fairies’ yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Its a damn awful statue which seeks to normalizes anti social behavior.

This isn't Into the West.

• Advertisement

To purchase that, install it, insure it etc must have been at least ten to twenty grand maybe more. Is the country that affluent that ok, pre virus we can go around putting up fuçking ‘ornaments’ in schools ? I’m not a parent but if I’m seeing that I’d be wondering if there is a spare say 15 - 20 grand hanging about, why couldn’t it be spent on improving the likes of the gym, the gym space and equipment.... encouraging more activities as in field trips etc something that will tangibly help children daily in school life instead of something, to look at ?

Be god lads and according to the journal the guards are after arresting a 40 year old pond rat for the latest vandalism of the Luke Kelly statue.
    hope to god he gets couple of hundred hours community service and if he’s drawing the dole it should be stopped on him if all he’s buying is aerosol paints.
    Take that johnny pond rat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

sugarman wrote: »
    Man (40s) charged with vandalism of Luke Kelly statue in Dublin

...a man in his 40s! Will be interesting to see where he resides.

He'd want to grow up FFS. Pathetic carry on at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Strumms wrote: »
    What sort of tax payers money was spent putting up a big fùck off statue of sombody on a horse... in a school ?

You don't want to know there was all sorts of money thrown at public art in the ballymun regeneration that the corpo just used as a sort of PR slush fund, that yoke on the gee gee was meant to be on the main street but the locals had enough of the nonsense and it was relegated to the school.

Fellas been charged with spray painting luke, in his forties so it wasn't feral teens after all

He'd want to grow up FFS. Pathetic carry on at that age.

Tough childhood your honour and now he’s the victim of addiction issues.not responsible for his actions.
    Nothing to do with the fact he’s a self entitled,lay about waster with 100+ previous convictions your honour.
    And all the above on free legal aid is my bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Is it my imagination or was a guy in his 40s arrested previously over one of the earlier attacks? Not charged as far as I know.

Hopefully the dissos will blow yer way up, or the BLM goons will pull her down :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

He was calling football players ‘pansies’ and ‘fairies’ yesterday.

Awww, still got the hots for me Johnny boy?.

Just having the craic so don't start looking to take offence for a piece of stone, I know all about the statue, I went to Ballymun comp. Funny enough that statue was originally erected at James Connolly Tower (opposite 'the comp), guess why it was moved into the grounds of the school [you've probably guessed it], it was vandalized.

Into the West was made in Ballymun too.. The scene where Tayto and Ossy are taking the horse into the lift was shot on Coultry Road (7 stories flats, long gone now). I'd an aunt living in the same block for years.

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Two men in their 30s ...and yeah not charged from what I can see.

Ridiculous carry on, I'd expect it from teens but not fully grown men.

Charge them and fine them the full amount, no pussy footing.

40 year old pond rat charged with criminal damage according to the wireless

Into the West was made in Ballymun too.. The scene where Tayto and Ossy are taking the horse into the lift was shot on Coultry Road (7 stories flats, long gone now). I'd an aunt living in the same block for years.

Which block?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Just having the craic so don't start looking to take offence for a piece of stone, I know all about the statue, I went to Ballymun comp. Funny enough that statue was originally erected at James Connolly Tower (opposite 'the comp), guess why it was moved into the grounds of the school [you've probably guessed it], it was vandalized.

It said here that it was moved because of the Metro North plans:

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0914/727699-bronze-statue-unveiled-in-ballymun/

Anyway I don't like it well intentioned as it may be, it comes across as a piss take.
    It is different I suppose. And well done.

I like the Luke Kelly sculpture because it is unique looking.
    Kind of reminds me of animal from the Muppet's.

Uhdm84N.png

Plus the hair and beard looks a bit like a thatched cottage. A reminder of simpler times.

how-warm-are-thatched-roofs-780x350.jpg

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Wouldn’t be particularly to my own taste the Luke thing but... less to my taste is people’s desire and actions to wreck it as others may enjoy and appreciate it and somebody went to a lot of effort to create it too. People need to cop the fûck on and parents, need to parent ffs.

How has it anything to do with anti-social behaviour?

The statue is re-cast from that of an Anglo-Irish hero blown up by the republicans, and presumably the message here is that young people (young women, even) can be heroes in the new republic. That's what I assume it is anyway.

The fact that she's bareback astride the horse is a throwback to those TV images we're familiar with down the years of Ballymun. Her past is actually supporting her progress, she's taking the horse with her. I don't know, I found it very uplifting, but of course it won't be to everyone's liking.

But how you thought it was supporting anti social behaviour, I'm confused. You're worried it might encourage kids to get into horses? Good! I hope it does,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Strumms wrote: »
    Wouldn’t be particularly to my own taste the Luke thing but... less to my taste is people’s desire and actions to wreck it as others may enjoy and appreciate it and somebody went to a lot of effort to create it too. People need to cop the fûck on and parents, need to parent ffs.

The vandal is a grown man in his 40s, parenting...lol.
    That boat sailed decades ago.

How has it anything to do with anti-social behaviour?

The statue is re-cast from that of an Anglo-Irish hero blown up by the republicans, and presumably the message here is that young people (young women, even) can be heroes in the new republic. That's what I assume it is anyway.

The fact that she's bareback astride the horse is a throwback to those TV images we're familiar with down the years of Ballymun. Her past is actually supporting her progress, she's taking the horse with her. I don't know, I found it very uplifting, but of course it won't be to everyone's liking.

But how you thought it was supporting anti social behaviour, I'm confused. You're worried it might encourage kids to get into horses? Good! I hope it does,

Celebrating people in council houses who keep horses as "pets".
    Perhaps they should have another sculpture, a scrawny, ill treated horse on deaths door tied up with a blue nylon rope.

The Luke Kelly statue would be pretty good if it was a bust.

Sculptors have know for millenia that you dont just stick a head on a neck and call it a job, disembodied heads look wrong and freaky, so you create a bust. I assume the artist responsible for the Luke Kelly thing also knew this but decided to have it the way it was for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I quite like the statue. It’s certainly different. Luke Kelly was a fairly hideous looking man in fairness, so you could argue the statue captures that.

• Advertisement

I don't know what the obsession with 'stachas' is about.
    Local does some stuff, we simply have to have a statcha.
    Many of them are just uninspired street clutter, typically a life sized seemingly chocolate covered figure, this one a bit different in that it's an ugly, outlandishly huge disembodied head, resembling one of those traitors heads on a spike of yore.

Advertisement