Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

So I've been enjoying my Echo 2nd gen speaker since I got it a couple of weeks back. But I've been having a never ending problem with 2 kasa smart plugs not responding. Alexa will randomly just not be able to turn on/off my Christmas tree for example. "TP-link not responding" is the error. And to resolve I have to either open the app on my phone, or restart the Echo (power cycle). It will then work for a time, and eventually just not respond.

Both my TP-Link Kasa plugs are the same and are on up to date firmwares as far as the app is concerned. Anyone else having the same issue? I've read other complaints online but not firm solution...

Only once I had similar issue, but it was the wifi connection itself. Did a quick reboot of the router and sorted it.

When Alexa says not responding, if you open the Kasa app then will it work straightway without doing anything else?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Davy wrote: »
    So I've been enjoying my Echo 2nd gen speaker since I got it a couple of weeks back. But I've been having a never ending problem with 2 kasa smart plugs not responding. Alexa will randomly just not be able to turn on/off my Christmas tree for example. "TP-link not responding" is the error. And to resolve I have to either open the app on my phone, or restart the Echo (power cycle). It will then work for a time, and eventually just not respond.

Both my TP-Link Kasa plugs are the same and are on up to date firmwares as far as the app is concerned. Anyone else having the same issue? I've read other complaints online but not firm solution...

Only once I had similar issue, but it was the wifi connection itself. Did a quick reboot of the router and sorted it.

When Alexa says not responding, if you open the Kasa app then will it work straightway without doing anything else?

Yes when Alexa says not responding, opening the Kasa app on my phone and turning the plug on is the solution. And my phone would be on the WiFi also. Very frustrating!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

jds0ur wrote: »
    Perfect thanks, I'll try it tomorrow after the festivities 😀

Did you get sorted with your Sonos?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Could someone kindly give the commands for Irish radio stations if they've figured it out? It's driving me nuts.
    Can't seem to search this thread only on mobile Boards.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

maxsmum wrote: »
    Could someone kindly give the commands for Irish radio stations if they've figured it out? It's driving me nuts.
    Thanks

There is a skill called 'Irish Radioplayer' which has most of the stations.

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    Thanks

There is a skill called 'Irish Radioplayer' which has most of the stations.
    That's not coming up when I search it. Darn!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thanks

For RTE stations I say RTE first then the station and then the name, e.g. “RTE 2FM” or “RTE Lyric FM”

Newstalk is “Newstalk 106”

Today FM is as is.

Haven’t tried other stations yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

I had mine set up just fine in the UK and now that ahm back in Ireland it is having none of me. I've restarted everything and tried it in different places with different connects and just keep getting "I'm sorry, I'm having trouble connecting to the Internet." A quiet rage continues.

I bought mine from Amazon Uk wonder if that's why?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Knockieranlady

I bought mine from Amazon Uk wonder if that's why?

I have mine set up and I just asked it to play RTE radio 1 or classic hits 4fm etc from tunein app, after a few times I didn’t need to mention tunein it did it automatically

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Knockieranlady

I have mine set up and I just asked it to play RTE radio 1 or classic hits 4fm etc from tunein app, after a few times I didn’t need to mention tunein it did it automatically

Also was bought in Uk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭paulbok

Anyone been able to get 8 Radio.com to play using voice?
    Cannot get that going without using the app. I wish Amazon would prioritize your favorite stations so Alexa can figure out which station you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Anyone been able to link am Echo device to a Fire TV device? The official Amazon help talks about linking devices in "Music, Video & Books" in the app but I don't have this option - I only have "Music & Books".

Anyone been able to link am Echo device to a Fire TV device? The official Amazon help talks about linking devices in "Music, Video & Books" in the app but I don't have this option - I only have "Music & Books".

US only, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Suspected that might be the case. Ah, will be here soon enough hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

Just got a notification that I've been accepted to the Mastermind beta skill. Looking forward to trying it out once I get home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

I've been on the program for just under a year and have the google chrome extension,so I get message and missed call notifications on my laptop.
    Calls etc. through the echo all work.
    I think it was in this thread where I was giving updates on its progress as i was setting it up and using it,might be worth looking for and having a read,
    I hadn't realised it was still in Beta as its been that way for about 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I bought an Echo Dot for Christmas as a gadget - I don't really have plans to automate my lighting or heat just yet but maybe next year. Ive been using it for a few days and so far I've only really used it for Spotify playback. Could anyone point me towards an article that shows exactly what this can do in Ireland, please? I understand it is particularly useful for the shopping function in the UK, but that functionality isn't in Ireland today. As far as I can see it can't be used for things like transport timetables and recipes haven't worked either - though maybe Im not using the right commands.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

I bought an Echo Dot for Christmas as a gadget - I don't really have plans to automate my lighting or heat just yet but maybe next year. Ive been using it for a few days and so far I've only really used it for Spotify playback. Could anyone point me towards an article that shows exactly what this can do in Ireland, please? I understand it is particularly useful for the shopping function in the UK, but that functionality isn't in Ireland today. As far as I can see it can't be used for things like transport timetables and recipes haven't worked either - though maybe Im not using the right commands.

Thanks
    use google/youtube plenty of videos what it can do,recipes timetables require skills to be installed on your alexa app settings, as im aware you can make calls to others hands free using alexa but person has to have also alexa dot/echo, besides that its like siri/cortana that allows you to ask for info or listen music etc, but home automation even few tp link switches to control lights is where its best utilized.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

paulbok wrote: »
    Anyone been able to get 8 Radio.com to play using voice?
    Cannot get that going without using the app. I wish Amazon would prioritize your favorite stations so Alexa can figure out which station you want.

This has been quite the adventure! The short answer is no, you can't request 8Radio or 8Radio.com easily by voice just yet on Alexa. They're working on it though - taking them a good while to sort out the Irish stations.

They were struggling with Today FM for a while (Alexa thought To was 2) and they're currently struggling with RTE stations and ourselves at 8Radio.

The more people who contact them about it the better, so if you fill this form on the TuneIn support doc (the link is at the bottom of the doc), it would help us (and in turn you) immensely: http://bit.ly/2Cvbh6R

Short term fix to use in the interim is "Alexa, play 8Radio ninety four point three from TuneIn" and you'll be sorted!

Let me know how you get on and thanks for tuning in/trying to :)

Simon
    8Radio.com

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

So I have an update to this in the last 24 hours. This issue never went away, in fact I was pretty much resigned to just giving up on Alexa as a home control device entirely. But yesterday I bought a new phone, a Oneplus 5T, and since installing the Amazon Alexa app on that instead of just my old SU6, Alexa now turns on and off my Kasa plugs flawlessly. Whereas before it was a once in every 8 tries.

Now this makes no sense to me. In my mind my phone shouldn't be at play here at all. Alexa is connected to the Wifi and the Kasa plugs all show excellent signal. Where the phone comes in I don't know, but all I know is that it suddenly fixed itself last night the second I setup Alexa on the 5T.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭boccy23

The Irish Radioplayer skill is very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Have 3 echo dots so decided to fit one in my bmw. Absolutely amazing in the car. Boots up in 45 seconds and controls all the phone calls music and information without messing about with phone.excellent with Spotify. Think they are putting alexa in Toyota and bmw from next year

OSI wrote: »
    Smart Ultra 6 only has 2.4Ghz WiFi where as the 5T would support 5Ghz. What router are you using? Many have issues with mixing 2.4 and 5Ghz devices.

An Asus router (don't remember the specifics), no 5Ghz enabled and the Kasa plugs are 2.4 I think. But I just don't get what the Echo needed the phone for in this scenario. It should be stand alone for these functions. But anyway, it was more in case someone else had the same trouble I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

An Asus router (don't remember the specifics), no 5Ghz enabled and the Kasa plugs are 2.4 I think. But I just don't get what the Echo needed the phone for in this scenario. It should be stand alone for these functions. But anyway, it was more in case someone else had the same trouble I had.
    maybe issue with having up to date app,since before xmas there were quite few updates, also router distance/settings would make sense as have one dot in attic and seems it will drop connnection sometimes,thou have 2.4 and 5ghz wifi but never had option to select dots to connect to 5ghz ?

that said really amazed with in built speaker given size on full sound its amazing like having speakers on mid volume for such tiny device.

one another app ive gotten is called night light where it makes ring light up between light blue to greenish thou wish there was another app that would do say yellowish color all the time.

also im nearing where my trial on amazon music expires and really dont use is it that much, mostly playing songs i have in my youtube favorites, reckon will switch to spotify once trial is over to see how it performs against amazon music since atm im the only one who uses music service and still its on rare occasions, would be amazing to get youtube integration that amazon would approve,as most best remixes are on youtube,when it comes to choice.

Have 3 echo dots so decided to fit one in my bmw. Absolutely amazing in the car. Boots up in 45 seconds and controls all the phone calls music and information without messing about with phone.excellent with Spotify. Think they are putting alexa in Toyota and bmw from next year

Care to share more information as to your setup? How are you powering the echo? Are you using a mobile hotspot....?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

I have to say alexa is getting far better at understanding. Now you can just say "alexa turn on rte radio 1" (no need for "on tunedin"). Or "alexa play michael jackson" (no need for "on spotify"). It's getting very slick.

I see the official app is in the play store. Does this mean room calling is suppprted now??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

I have to say alexa is getting far better at understanding. Now you can just say "alexa turn on rte radio 1" (no need for "on tunedin"). Or "alexa play michael jackson" (no need for "on spotify"). It's getting very slick.

I see the official app is in the play store. Does this mean room calling is suppprted now??

Room calling /Intercom has been up and running a while as is the ability to play music to all alexa devices or set up groups etc.

As a side note,I have had one contact show up on my Alexa contacts list for the whole of 2017 now it seems to have expanded greatly with the amount of people in my contacts book who have got them over Xmas and set them up

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

Hey has anybody setup Alexa to turn off their TV or change TV channels ? If so how did u do this ?

Any response appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

whiz wrote: »
    Hey has anybody setup Alexa to turn off their TV or change TV channels ? If so how did u do this ?

Any response appreciated

I use Harmony Hub for this and you would need a hub or a smart plug I'm open to others to disagree

Advertisement