Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭Panrich

Fortified by a bottle of wine and Black Friday, I've ordered 3x echos and 3x TP link 100 switches. This will primarily be used at Christmas to remotely control the Christmas lights while we're on the other side of the country and the Echos will be primarily used to play music in different rooms (kitchen, living room and bedroom). Not sure what else I might do with these but has anyone any links that might help me set these up to best effect? I am looking at tying in to my shield via smartthings but so much choice out there it’s difficult to know where to begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

d31b0y wrote: »
    RTE skill is now a proper news report instead of Alexa just reading the headlines.

The news story hasn't updated for me since Friday night.

EDIT @ 2252 - News story has now been updated.

Well the wine has worn off and I've spent an enjoyable few hours reading up and getting set for these devices when they arrive.

It's been a steep enough learning curve coming from total ignorance, but as I said enjoyable.

Here are some thoughts on what I've found so far that might help others and save some time..

I have an iphone and found it very frustrating to find good information on how to get the app. In the end, I discovered that if I logged out of my account on my phone first and set the region to UK and then google 'alexa iphone app' to link to the app in the store from there, it works well. Create a new account in the UK and set the payment option to none as the app is free ands away you go. I actually had to restart my phone before it would complete the download.

I basically followed this guys youtube instruction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joAUAa2eD-k

I also downloaded the Reverb app and this give a flavour of alexa to help get used to how it works. This has also proved very useful today as I created the google assistant skill following this link here and although it is a lengthy process, I got there in the end.

https://github.com/tartanguru/alexa-assistant

I also found the linked video from his page useful to follow at the same time.

If you do follow this though be aware that the AWS lambda function setup process has changed and this means that you have to do some steps out of order and you might get an error when creating the trigger (i did anyway) but persevere and it all works out in the end.

I was able to add the skill and test via reverb as well so that was great in case that someone else who has the reverb app wants to try it out.

It actually works great and it really does give great answers. For example my wife is a real cimena buff and she asked 'Alexa, ask google who played Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard? The answer came back as 'Norma Desmond was played by Gloria Swanson'.

Hi,

Has anyone ever had these or know if they're any good? They look fairly deep to fit in a standard box fitting.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075L7F22R/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?th=1

Thinking of getting a few to control the lights until I can afford to go with Smart bulbs everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭meelick

Panrich wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anyone ever had these or know if they're any good? They look fairly deep to fit in a standard box fitting.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075L7F22R/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?th=1

Thinking of getting a few to control the lights until I can afford to go with Smart bulbs everywhere.
    I have played with similar. However, be aware that the one you link to here requires a neutral wire, and I'd guess that almost 99% of all light switches in Ireland don't have a neutral wire available in the switch enclosure, it's just the live wire that loops down and back up into the ceiling. If you do have a neutral, great, but it's very unusual.
    I use ones that are touch sensitive, 433MHz controllable, and don't require a neutral wire. Simple drop-in replacement for the standard switch. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-pcs-lot-Broadlink-TC2-smart-switch-with-remote-control-touch-panel-smart-home-automation-device/32598812491.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

Can anybody point me in the direction of how to connect Xiaomi security kit to Alexa,haven't bought the Xiaomi kit yet but would like to buy it and have voice control

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

manutd83 wrote: »
    Can anybody point me in the direction of how to connect Xiaomi security kit to Alexa,haven't bought the Xiaomi kit yet but would like to buy it and have voice control

You can't, not directly anyway. You could maybe get some control indirectly using Home Assistant, but would involve lots of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sunflour

Have just bought the Echo, trying to get the Alexa app but having no joy. On android. Any tips please?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

sunflour wrote: »
    Have just bought the Echo, trying to get the Alexa app but having no joy. On android. Any tips please?

Have to get it via Amazon App store not on google playstore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭randombar

Selling on my echo and echo mini if anyone is interested. Will have em up on adverts later but thought I'd let you guys know first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I’ve just got my new Echo and set up . But can’t seem to get Drop In to work between that and my Echo Dot .
    Any ideas of what I’m doing wrong?

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

OSI wrote: »
    Have you set up the Alexa calling service? Also, do you have a US Amazon account? I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure Drop-In is US only atm.

Yes , I can call/drop in from app on either device. But when I try from one device to another it tells me the device I’m looking for can’t be found.

Have you set up the Alexa calling service? Also, do you have a US Amazon account? I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure Drop-In is US only atm.

It certainly can be a bit of a black art to set up.

I got mine last night (3x echos) and I have the same issues. I had mine set up for the alexa.amazon.co.uk site and also downloaded the IOS app from the UK store and drop in doesn't work from one echo to another although it will work from the app. It keeps telling me that 'I couldn't find that device or contact name' :confused:

Also the UK app does not have the menu option (Your Voice?) to set up profiles so no Alexa calling service either :(

I did change my Amazon account settings to the US but all my devices then showed as offline in the alexa.amazon.com and still there was no option to set up profiles.

Much work still to do but my plugs are working fine and my google assistant skill is working great too. I really love that it accepted my address (with eircode) and gives me the local weather/news etc.

sharkman wrote: »
    Yes , I can call/drop in from app on either device. But when I try from one device to another it tells me the device I’m looking for can’t be found.

My exact issue too apart from I didn't get as far as creating profiles either.

My exact issue too apart from I didn't get as far as creating profiles either.

Just spotted this on the website : Note: At this time, Alexa-to-Alexa calling and messaging is only available with the Alexa app on compatible iOS and Android phones.

Has anyone manages to get Groups or Routines to work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Drexl

I have a Sonos One at home now a couple of weeks.

The sound quality is exceptional, which is the main reason I bought it. I wanted a wireless speaker I could use in the kids room, but we also have a smart bulb in there so wanted to be able to control that from it at as well.

Alexa integration is OKish. There's no Spotify support yet, (due in December) which means if you want to use Alexa for music you have to use Amazon Music. You can use Spotify connect to cast spotify from your phone to the speaker, but I've found doing this Alexa often get's confused after a while as to what's going on if you try to control playback. When you first play music you can ask it to skip, pause etc perfectly fine but after an hour or so it will start responding with "I don't know what's playing".

Control of smart devices, or at least the 2 LIFX bulbs I have, works perfectly fine. Or at least it does when Alexa picks you up.

The one main complaint I have at the moment is the inconsistent detection of the trigger word. You can be standing directly in front of it, say "Alexa" and get no response. Then 10 seconds later in the same spot, at the same volume say "Alexa" again and it'll respond fine. Sometimes you're hidden around a corner with furniture in the way and it'll pick you up fine, others you're directly in front of it and it will straight out blank you. From what I hear this will be addressed as the product matures, as the sensitivity of the mics is software controlled and Sonos will be modifying based on user feedback.

Hi OSI, I bought two Sonos One's recently, but can't get Alexa working on them. Can you please tell me how you got it working?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

I'm thinking of getting an echo for my son (17) for Christmas for his bedroom. He has an iphone 5S and he is part of our Spotify family. Also he's currently in 6th year.

What sort of things would it be useful for? and having read the last 12 pages of this thread can I take it there are no problems using it in Ireland if he follows the set up advice given?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

tina1040 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting an echo for my son (17) for Christmas for his bedroom. He has an iphone 5S and he is part of our Spotify family. Also he's currently in 6th year.

What sort of things would it be useful for? and having read the last 12 pages of this thread can I take it there are no problems using it in Ireland if he follows the set up advice given?

Hi Tina. Yes, they can work in Ireland, including Spotify. He would probably mostly use it for listening to music, great for that.

But have you also considered Google Home / Mini. Similar to the Echos and currently similar price, but having had both, I find Google Home to be smarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

I have an iphone and found it very frustrating to find good information on how to get the app. In the end, I discovered that if I logged out of my account on my phone first and set the region to UK and then google 'alexa iphone app' to link to the app in the store from there, it works well. Create a new account in the UK and set the payment option to none as the app is free ands away you go. I actually had to restart my phone before it would complete the download.

I basically followed this guys youtube instruction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joAUAa2eD-k

Having no luck with this, when I enter the verfication code after entering all the other detail I keep getting "we've run into a problem, please try again later" :(

• Advertisement

viperlogic wrote: »
    Having no luck with this, when I enter the verfication code after entering all the other detail I keep getting "we've run into a problem, please try again later" :(

If I get a chance later I’ll have a look at what I did. I thought that I had run into trouble at one point. I do remember that error message but I’m not 100% sure at what point it appeared.

I remember now. Did you restart the phone? I was getting that message until I did that. Afterwards it went fine.

I remember now. Did you restart the phone? I was getting that message until I did that. Afterwards it went fine.

Restarted and still issue remained. Also got same message when trying though itunes. Tried again even a different email address again and it then worked! Least I have the app now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Alexa has gone totally stupid.

Unresponsive and getting everything wrong.

Rebooted her. ..no improvement

Alexa has gone totally stupid.

Unresponsive and getting everything wrong.

Rebooted her. ..no improvement

I'm also seeing some issues that are a bit infuriating. I am sure that they will get fixed at some point but there are some things that are very hit and miss.

For instance, all last week I could say something like Alexa, Play songs from the seventies and away she'd go. Now I get 'I can't find any seventies songs'. Other commands on spotify work fine if I ask for specific artists or songs or albums.

I have not yet got the drop in to work from echo to echo either and it seem that it might not work yet.

Overall happy with Alexa and so useful for things like shopping lists and reminders but there's so much more there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I have not yet got the drop in to work from echo to echo either and it seem that it might not work yet.

When you have the app updated for Drop in, it does work for calling someone or local drop for room to room.

Davy wrote: »
    When you have the app updated for Drop in, it does work for calling someone or local drop for room to room.

Thank you. I do think that I have the latest version of both the IOS and android app and still no good. It does work from the reverb app but not from echo to echo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Foodie2

Very grateful for any help. I have just bought an Echo.

I go to the Amazon Alexa Uk site and try to download . It asks if I want to open ITunes. Says it needs to change store. I agree to that but then am just changed to ITunes with no mention of Alexa ap at all.

Has happened 5 times now.

Also tried changing my region in Settings to UK, still no joy.

Thank you so much !

For those who have linked their echo to Harmony any tricks for changing channels for RTE1 and RTE2, Alexa thinks I'm saying 41 and 42!!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,970 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

For those who have linked their echo to Harmony any tricks for changing channels for RTE1 and RTE2, Alexa thinks I'm saying 41 and 42!!?

Say 101 and 102?

Advertisement