Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

So I have an Echo and an Echo Dot set up in different rooms.

Has anyone gotten the Ikea Tradfi skill to work with their Alexa? I keep getting the warning that it is not available due to geographical restrictions?

I've tried changing my Alexa address and Amazon delivery address to a UK address in the hopes that this might work, but no joy.

Any help much appreciated! While it's easy to ask Siri to turn Ikea lights on and off, I want to get Alexa to work with them too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

So I have an Echo and an Echo Dot set up in different rooms.

Has anyone gotten the Ikea Tradfi skill to work with their Alexa? I keep getting the warning that it is not available due to geographical restrictions?

I've tried changing my Alexa address and Amazon delivery address to a UK address in the hopes that this might work, but no joy.

Any help much appreciated! While it's easy to ask Siri to turn Ikea lights on and off, I want to get Alexa to work with them too!
    It works fine with mine. No issues at all. I just searched for tradfri skill in the skill section and couldn't find it so maybe they have taken it down for maintenance?
    The ikea system isn't great in my opinion it's possible to get the tradfri bulbs to with with the Phillips hue hub if you happen to have one of those.
    If there's as issue, ikea do state it works with alexa so you could bring it back no bother if it isn't working and just go with the hue system if you don't already have it.

Look like the app is only available in the US store. If you log into your amazon account on a pc, or desktop version of the site on your phone and change your location in their somewhere it should get her going. Think it's in the devices section. I can't remember but there's tutorials on YouTube. And then change back afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Some skills are only available for different locations. I had to change my amazon digital location yesterday to .CO.UK to get the tahoma skill as it was not listed for me at first since my digital country was set to amazon.com somehow. Try opening the skill page via a pc browser and it will tell you in the top right if you need to change your country
    https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony/dp/B01M4LDPX3

If you change your country though you have to set everything up again.

Thanks, changed my amazon country settings and was able to get it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭paulbok

Official Irish launch for Alexa today according to RTE website. App should be easy to download and setup now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

paulbok wrote: »
    Official Irish launch for Alexa today according to RTE website. App should be easy to download and setup now.

Cool - it recognises my address now so no more 'O'Connel St' for me!

I used the Eircode

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Hey Guys if I order an echo off Amazon is getting delivered directly to the door cheaper than getting in done through Parcel Motel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Hey Guys if I order an echo off Amazon is getting delivered directly to the door cheaper than getting in done through Parcel Motel?

PM will cost you €3.95 so check to see what delivery to Ireland is and compare.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Delivery is free to Ireland when purchases are over 25stg... so just get it delivery direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Thanks for that, trying to buy in metallic Silver but appears that colour is not available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 bobic999

Hi Guys
    Anyone know if the sonos play 1 with alexa will now work better in Ireland.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Anyone having issues with Alexa (on the Dot, in my case) not playing "genres" from Spotify? For about a year I could throw a genre or mood at it and it would play no bother ("play something relaxing" for instance, and it would play a playlist that was appropriate), but now all I get is: sorry, I couldn't find any relaxing songs. Same response if I ask for any genre. Bit irksome when it worked all this time and I made no changes to any settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok amazon changed my account to UK as I thought I could access more skills however Harmony skill not available in Ireland so can't get it.
    Trying Amazon chat no joy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭scheister

finally bite the bullet and purchased a Amazon Echo went with a some Philips Hue lights as well to try them out. If they work out aim would be to slowly get more items to turn my house in a small way into a smart house

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Interesting article

"The Irish Radioplayer service, a partnership between RTÉ and the Independent Broadcasters of Ireland (IBI), have launched an Alexa “skill”, which allows owners of devices such as the Amazon Echo, Echo Dot and Echo Plus to access radio stations once they enable the skill via the Alexa app saying “Alexa, enable Irish Radioplayer”."

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/irish-radio-stations-launch-alexa-services-as-amazon-starts-shipping-echo-1.3368660

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Interesting article

"The Irish Radioplayer service, a partnership between RTÉ and the Independent Broadcasters of Ireland (IBI), have launched an Alexa “skill”, which allows owners of devices such as the Amazon Echo, Echo Dot and Echo Plus to access radio stations once they enable the skill via the Alexa app saying “Alexa, enable Irish Radioplayer”."

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/irish-radio-stations-launch-alexa-services-as-amazon-starts-shipping-echo-1.3368660

I don't get it

I can already say "Alexa. Play RTE Radio 1" & it does it via TuneIn

With this thing I'd now have to say "Alexa, ask Irish Radioplayer to play RTE Radio 1

Ok amazon changed my account to UK as I thought I could access more skills however Harmony skill not available in Ireland so can't get it.
    Trying Amazon chat no joy?

For me to get the blue harmony skill i had to change my amazon account to UK in the device and content settings section. Once added the skill I changed it back.

viperlogic wrote: »
    For me to get the blue harmony skill i had to change my amazon account to UK in the device and content settings section. Once added the skill I changed it back.

I am on the .com so asked Amazon to change it to UK ok no issues I can set up the skills again. However when I went to get the skill the Blue Harmony was not available. I went onto the chat and was told as I was living in Ireland this skill not available?? ? I then asked them to revert me to UK but then they asked me to put in a UK credit card and this was not possible so I had to revert back to the .com to get the Harmony Skill back??

I just want to add some of the UK skills as I cannot access some of them even the Irish ones when new ones come on board.

May get back onto Chat but what should I be saying them? Did anyone have to put in a UK cc card ?

I am on the .com so asked Amazon to change it to UK ok no issues I can set up the skills again. However when I went to get the skill the Blue Harmony was not available. I went onto the chat and was told as I was living in Ireland this skill not available?? ? I then asked them to revert me to UK but then they asked me to put in a UK credit card and this was not possible so I had to revert back to the .com to get the Harmony Skill back??

I just want to add some of the UK skills as I cannot access some of them even the Irish ones when new ones come on board.

May get back onto Chat but what should I be saying them? Did anyone have to put in a UK cc card ?

No need for UK cc like a revolut etc. You can use what ever amazon account eg a .co.uk or .com. I use .co.uk. Sign into your account and go "your account" -> "Digital content and devices" -> "Content and devices" -> "Settings" tab -> "Country Settings" -> change to UK :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

frash wrote: »
    I don't get it

I can already say "Alexa. Play RTE Radio 1" & it does it via TuneIn

With this thing I'd now have to say "Alexa, ask Irish Radioplayer to play RTE Radio 1

I was thinking the same thing. No issues using tunein for me.

• Advertisement

viperlogic wrote: »
    No need for UK cc like a revolut etc. You can use what ever amazon account eg a .co.uk or .com. I use .co.uk. Sign into your account and go "your account" -> "Digital content and devices" -> "Content and devices" -> "Settings" tab -> "Country Settings" -> change to UK :)

probably a stupid question but here goes

Asking me to put in an address not changed it yet but does it have to be UK

probably a stupid question but here goes

Asking me to put in an address not changed it yet but does it have to be UK

Just throw in any aul UK post code, eg parcel motels eg BT36 4PE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

Anyone having issues with Alexa (on the Dot, in my case) not playing "genres" from Spotify? For about a year I could throw a genre or mood at it and it would play no bother ("play something relaxing" for instance, and it would play a playlist that was appropriate), but now all I get is: sorry, I couldn't find any relaxing songs. Same response if I ask for any genre. Bit irksome when it worked all this time and I made no changes to any settings.

Yes, when I got the echos first, I could say things like 'Alexa, play songs from the seventies' and away she'd go. Now I get the same as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Panrich wrote: »
    Yes, when I got the echos first, I could say things like 'Alexa, play songs from the seventies' and away she'd go. Now I get the same as you.

Still working fine for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

Still working fine for me

I wonder if it is to do with the fact that I upgraded to a family account around the time that it stopped working.

faceman wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing. No issues using tunein for me.

Only positive I can think of is it should narrow the search field so if you ask for radio nova you will get the Irish one when using the Irish radio player skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I wonder if it is to do with the fact that I upgraded to a family account around the time that it stopped working.

I've been on a family account for well over a year, so I don't think thats it.

I thought it might have something to do with regional settings, but I still never made any changes before it stopped working :confused:
    Its like one day Alexa woke up and decided "No, you shan't have access to this feature", almost at random.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭niallb

Be very careful with moving your location if you've a family account!
    I got a message telling me that as I had left the family home,
    my other family members no longer had access to my ibrary.
    It took quite a bit of hassle and an amazon rep saying they were
    doing me a favour and wouldn't do it a second time to fix it!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭paulbok

Alexa's voice changing on Friday?
    Anyone else seen the advert?

My guess there will be selectable voice options with more that can be bought, similar to the sat navs 10 years ago.
    If so, Paul Bethany's voice has to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

paulbok wrote: »
    Alexa's voice changing on Friday?
    Anyone else seen the advert?

My guess there will be selectable voice options with more that can be bought, similar to the sat navs 10 years ago.
    If so, Paul Bethany's voice has to be there.
    nah id rather have scarlet Johanston :P ,was pretty good in movie HER or smth similar.

Advertisement