Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Risoc wrote: »
    I’m looking to set up an Alexa routine for the lamp in the small area under my stairs which is boarded off and has a door.
    I have a Calex Smart Bulb and thought I could simply purchase a magnetic door sensor to activate the bulb when I open the door. Unfortunately it seems all the door sensors are part of other security environments (Ring or Wyse). Do I need to get a hub of some sort (or even a camera etc) to operate these? If it was just the Ring app that wouldn’t be too bad. Are there cheaper sensors that would do the job?
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/tcp-smart-pir-sensor/737HK?gclid=Cj0KCQiA9P__BRC0ARIsAEZ6irgHL8r4BrOWfdVtvmkB77F9BC5l7l31_e46Xg9SxhOiqneZhc-90qcaAmSyEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
    This looks like what your after. What i dont know is if it will trigger your calex bulb or you have to buy the tcp bulb.

Edit: I see from the bad reviews it only works with there own bulbs. Still might be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Risoc wrote: »
    I’m looking to set up an Alexa routine for the lamp in the small area under my stairs which is boarded off and has a door.
    I have a Calex Smart Bulb and thought I could simply purchase a magnetic door sensor to activate the bulb when I open the door. Unfortunately it seems all the door sensors are part of other security environments (Ring or Wyse). Do I need to get a hub of some sort (or even a camera etc) to operate these? If it was just the Ring app that wouldn’t be too bad. Are there cheaper sensors that would do the job?

What about an echo flex? It detects motion and you can have a routine to turn on that light nice motion is detected. Or voice control it!

Deal: Introducing Echo Flex – Voice control smart home devices with Alexa https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PDJ9JFF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dlT4_E0eaGbHP3W817

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Risoc

The socket is actually outside the door but plugged into an awkward location so the sensor wouldn't work there.

Re voice activation, ya fair enough but the Echos are a bit away from the area. I know this is overly fussy to make life easier / lazier but that's what SmartHomes are all about. Thought this would be an obvious one for Amazon to set up for their Echos. A simple pair of magnets that activate when they are separated as a door sensor to start a routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

For me, I think the "smart" solution is overkill here... (although i understand you are prob just trying to make use of your existing bulb)

Since its under the stairs in what sounds like a cupboard area, you may not be worried about a few visible wires/truncing.

In that case I'd either
    1. wire in an ordinary hardwired motion sensor to the lamp.
    Or
    2. wire the live of the lamp to an alarm contact on the door.

Both solutions call for simple dumb LED bulb.
    number 1 is safest as alarm contacts are prob only meant for low level voltage.
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/lap-standalone-pir-360/9695v

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ablelocks

can this thread be restickied please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Alexa asking for product reviews is getting annoying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

ED E wrote: »
    Alexa asking for product reviews is getting annoying.

Have you tried giving feedback just afterwards and say you don't like/want anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

I'm looking to buy a device for a relative but not sure what to go for.
    Radio reception is very poor out in the kitchen and we were thinking domething like an Alexa or a Dot might be a good idea.
    Are they loud enough to work properly with a pot bubbling and a cooker hood turned on?
    For the basic things it'd be used for I'd imagine they'd all work similarly well so speaker quality is probably the most important thing.
    Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

.red. wrote: »
    Radio reception is very poor out in the kitchen and we were thinking domething like an Alexa or a Dot might be a good idea.
    Are they loud enough to work properly with a pot bubbling and a cooker hood turned on?
    For the basic things it'd be used for I'd imagine they'd all work similarly well so speaker quality is probably the most important thing.
    Any recommendations?

I've a 3rd generation Echo in the kitchen. It's plenty loud and clear enough to use over the sound of robust cooking (although, I hardly ever use the cooker hood). The newer 4th generation is supposed to have even better sound.

I've 3rd generation Dots in the bedrooms (4th gen Dot is supposed to have the same sound). They're fine in a bedroom, where things are usually fairly quiet, but I don't think the sound would be good enough to use clearly over the noises of an active kitchen.

I'd go with the full sized Echo. If it's found lacking in some situations, you could always add a second and pair it for stereo, which will improve the sound quality and volume a lot.

Any recommendations?

I’d go with an echo show 8.

Perfect for a kitchen. Use it’s screen to rotate photos or ask Alexa for a recipe which she then displays on screen. Or use the built in browser to navigate to a recipe. Speaker works great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Agreed on the Echo 8

Recipes with videos
    Lists for shopping
    Reminders(I use it for cooking times and when to take the bins out)
    Radio
    Alarms
    Communication(with video), may be of use here if in trouble etc.as an older person could shout at her to contact someone

Cheers folks,
    I'll have a look at the echo.
    The show 8 is a lot more expensive than I'm looking to spend.
    I can't ever really see it being used for much more than radio and he's not the kind of fella who'd use a recipe.
    Thanks.

Cheers folks,
    I'll have a look at the echo.
    The show 8 is a lot more expensive than I'm looking to spend.
    I can't ever really see it being used for much more than radio and he's not the kind of fella who'd use a recipe.
    Thanks.

echo show 5 might be an option - we had it in the kitchen for over a year before getting an 8...

ablelocks wrote: »
    can this thread be restickied please

thanks Stoner!

ablelocks wrote: »
    echo show 5 might be an option - we had it in the kitchen for over a year before getting an 8...

How did ye find the sound quality?
    The 5 is available for a decent price on littlewoods but some reviews say the sound isn't the best.

The 5 is available for a decent price on littlewoods but some reviews say the sound isn't the best.

it's fine, as good as the 3rd gen anyway. I have it in my bedroom now as alarm clock/radio/spotify player and it sounds a bit better in a smaller room...

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Different people have different perceptions, or requirements when it comes to sound.
    What is it replacing? - if its just replacing your run of the mill kitchen radio, the sound will be more than adequate (as will the echo dot (no screen))

If on the other hand its replacing some fancy expensive sound system (who's intended use is not for listening to the news and the death notices :) ) then it might be left wanting a little.

For context, i have a dot and a echo 5 and they are both capable of filling my 55sqm kitchen/extension with perfectly audible sound - further more you can hear it everywhere else in the house.

Hope that helps.

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    Different people have different perceptions, or requirements when it comes to sound.
    What is it replacing? - if its just replacing your run of the mill kitchen radio, the sound will be more than adequate (as will the echo dot (no screen))

If on the other hand its replacing some fancy expensive sound system (who's intended use is not for listening to the news and the death notices :) ) then it might be left wanting a little.

For context, i have a dot and a echo 5 and they are both capable of filling my 55sqm kitchen/extension with perfectly audible sound - further more you can hear it everywhere else in the house.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, it's to replace a cheap kitchen radio that crackles and looses reception as you walk past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭wally79

Thanks, it's to replace a cheap kitchen radio that crackles and looses reception as you walk past it.

I don’t have one myself but would an internet radio be a slightly more familiar replacement

wally79 wrote: »
    I don’t have one myself but would an internet radio be a slightly more familiar replacement

I was gonna get one of them but prices were similar to the amazon products.
    I ended up buying an Echo Show 5 last night on littlewoods for €58. That was the best deal I could find.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

We have 2 separate Family Spotify accounts that we got on Bargain Alerts

So I have linked it to Alexa and now Miss Gunner wants to do the same but Amazon are saying not possible?

So I can play podcasts on Alexa via the Alexa app.

Is there anyway of adding 2 Spotify accounts to Alexa or do I need to give my login so that it can be used

Or any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Is there a way to control my Samsung frame tv with my echo dot? I don’t want to have to press the remote button to activate Alexa

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

We have 2 separate Family Spotify accounts that we got on Bargain Alerts

So I have linked it to Alexa and now Miss Gunner wants to do the same but Amazon are saying not possible?

So I can play podcasts on Alexa via the Alexa app.

Is there anyway of adding 2 Spotify accounts to Alexa or do I need to give my login so that it can be used

Or any other suggestions?

You would need two alexas and then split the wifi to 2.4 and 5ghz then you both have an Amazon alexa app with spotify linked to a wifi channel.

I imagine that could work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Me: Alex play rte radio 1
    Alexa : Playing 'show name on rte radio 1'
    Silence, and nothing
    Repeat and the same again, this has happned a good few times in the last two weeks to me. Any ideas? Tried to unplug re plug helps sometimes, other times same result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭wally79

jogdish wrote: »
    Silence, and nothing
    Repeat and the same again, this has happned a good few times in the last two weeks to me. Any ideas? Tried to unplug re plug helps sometimes, other times same result.

Happened here too. I uninstalled and reinstalled the RTE skill. I also plugged it out and back in. I’m not sure what fixed it but it works now

Silence, and nothing

Try:
    Alexa play RTÉ radio 1 on Tune in

Silence, and nothing

Try saying "RTE radio 1 on Tune In Radio"
    When I say Today fm it plays some station called Tay fm. If I add in "from tune in radio" it works fine.

Try saying "RTE radio 1 on Tune In Radio"
    When I say Today fm it plays some station called Tay fm. If I add in "from tune in radio" it works fine.

At least you can do it that way so.

If you’re really against saying “on tune in” you could try to make a routine so that when you say
    ‘Alexa radio’ it’s plays today fm do another key word for radio 1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    You would need two alexas and then split the wifi to 2.4 and 5ghz then you both have an Amazon alexa app with spotify linked to a wifi channel.

I imagine that could work?

We have 4 around the house but main one is assigned to my account. Wifi is split not sure what channels they are assigned to

Have Alexa app on my phone and all Alexa Echos etc assigned to my account

Was onto Amazon and they said not possible :confused:

Thought might be a way

• Advertisement

We have 4 around the house but main one is assigned to my account. Wifi is split not sure what channels they are assigned to

Have Alexa app on my phone and all Alexa Echos etc assigned to my account

Was onto Amazon and they said not possible :confused:

Thought might be a way

I find it very awkward with assigning Spotify to a device. I’m my house we have 6 Alexa devices. All bar one are on my account and the 6th is on my daughters account. It’s fine. She can’t control a lot of my smart home items but she has no desire to either.
    The biggest issue was if I was in the car and turned on Spotify then it would kill the music being played on any of the 5 echos at hole if it was being used. So I created a new login for my Spotify family to use on my phone separate to the one o have used on the echos. Pain really.

Advertisement