Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭sumo12

Hello
    Is there any way of getting Echo Dot to control existing Sonos setup? Skill is not available in Ireland. Tried changing my Sonos and Amazon accounts to UK addresses, even gave Alexa a UK postcode but no joy.

Has anyone found a workaround?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Sorry if this has been asked/answered, but has anyone got Alexa drop in working on new fire 10 tablet. There is no drop in button on the in built app that I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭flyandrain

Hi, Folks, i disabled Harmony skill on my Echo, and try to reinstall it, but i can not find Harmony skill anywhere in the skill store. what did i do wrong ?

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Multi-room audio on Echo speakers now officially supports Spotify, meaning you can finally listen to all your favorite tunes through the service on more than one Echo at once. Spotify will work with multi-room audio on Echos in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, and Ireland at first, but we should see it expanded to more countries in the near future.

In addition to Spotify, Amazon is also adding similar support for SiriusXM. However, SiriusXM is launching first in just the United States.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

sharkman wrote: »
    Multi-room audio on Echo speakers now officially supports Spotify, meaning you can finally listen to all your favorite tunes through the service on more than one Echo at once.

I presume multi-room won't work if you have connected Bluetooth speakers, say, on the echo dot?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm thinking of jumping on the Echo bandwagon. The reduced price for the Echo 2nd generation is tempting. I will be using this as a speaker as well as home assistant, so I'm slightly concerned the audio will be lacking. Decisions, decisions....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hey folks I too have jumped on the Echo bandwagon given it’s available here now. I ordered a dot as I have a Sonos music system already. Just wondering though if it makes sense to have a dot both upstairs and downstairs to does it cause conflicts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

I'm thinking of jumping on the Echo bandwagon. The reduced price for the Echo 2nd generation is tempting. I will be using this as a speaker as well as home assistant, so I'm slightly concerned the audio will be lacking. Decisions, decisions....

The Audio from Echo is just fine! Go for it.

faceman wrote: »
    Hey folks I too have jumped on the Echo bandwagon given it’s available here now. I ordered a dot as I have a Sonos music system already. Just wondering though if it makes sense to have a dot both upstairs and downstairs to does it cause conflicts?

Makes good sense. No need to be shouting from upstairs down and visa versa. Also great for multiroom audio, with Spotify, Amazon Music etc.
    Spotify Multiroom supported from this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

givecredit wrote: »
    The Audio from Echo is just fine! Go for it.

I was very pleasantly surprised with the audio quality from the Echo Generation 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

How different is the sound quality between the Echo and the Dot? I have an Echo downstairs and am thinking of putting another one upstairs - obviously the Dot is cheaper so that was my initial choice. However, if there is now a multi-room option with Spotify I'd probably spring the extra few quid - but only if the speaker quality in the Dot wasn't up to scratch. Is it any good for music?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Anatom wrote: »
    How different is the sound quality between the Echo and the Dot? I have an Echo downstairs and am thinking of putting another one upstairs - obviously the Dot is cheaper so that was my initial choice. However, if there is now a multi-room option with Spotify I'd probably spring the extra few quid - but only if the speaker quality in the Dot wasn't up to scratch. Is it any good for music?

There's no bass to the dot due to it's size. The new Echo is noticeably better in all round sound.

If you're going to listen to music regularly with it spend the extra in my opinion. (previously 2 dots, one in kitchen as a radio / music player primarily and even the wife commented on how much better the Echo was sound wise).

Given the reduced price at the moment I'd spring the extra (I'm even tempted to replace the 2 dots I have).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

Nelbert wrote: »
    I was very pleasantly surprised with the audio quality from the Echo Generation 2.

I have to 'echo' :rolleyes: that. I have found the clarity very good.

Irish radio player skill now supported in echo.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Echo 2nd gen ordered with tp-link plug for 79stg. Looking forward to it now. I'm not 100% sure where I want this to live. Oh and it's this forum's fault I'm broke... *shakes fist*.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Hi,

Looking at getting one of these.

Can it play my music..... either from a backup drive or can I load my music onto it.
    All music conversation seems to be about Amazon Music etc.... with cost per year...
    I'm looking for "free"... ie my own music.

Any info / comments welcome.

Thanks

Jay

Jay Dee wrote: »
    Hi,

Can it play my music..... either from a backup drive or can I load my music onto it.

Jay

No it cannot.

Just plays subscription services. If you want free music get the Goggle Home or Mini. That plays the Free Spotify service.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,904 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

givecredit wrote: »
    No it cannot.

Just plays subscription services. If you want free music get the Goggle Home or Mini. That plays the Free Spotify service.

Alexa can use free Spotify as well I thought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Alexa can use free Spotify as well I thought?

Not unless something has changed recently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Hi,

All music conversation seems to be about Amazon Music etc.... with cost per year...
    I'm looking for "free"... ie my own music.

Any info / comments welcome.

Thanks

Jay

you could use alexa as a bluetooth speaker .
    Or you can upload your music to your amazon account.
    Or I think plex has an alexa skill that might do what you want.

• Advertisement

Hi.... thanks for the information.... a few more questions... (a) what do you mean "use it as a Bluetooth speaker".....
    (b) If I upload to an Amazon account.... can I use the Alexia function... " Alexia..play my album #####.."
    (c) can you please expand on the Plex function....
    (d) Am I wasting my time trying to get this device to play my music on request.....

Thanks

Jay

Hi.... thanks for the information.... a few more questions... (a) what do you mean "use it as a Bluetooth speaker".....
    (b) If I upload to an Amazon account.... can I use the Alexia function... " Alexia..play my album #####.."
    (c) can you please expand on the Plex function....
    (d) Am I wasting my time trying to get this device to play my music on request.....

Thanks

Jay

D: yes. It's not designed for that. Pay Amazon music or Spotify and it's a great player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

(a) if your music is stored on a pc that has bluetooth, you can play and control the music from the pc and have the sound come from alexa speaker

(b)yes, but the free usage is only about 300 songs. For more music storage you have to pay
    (c) Sorry I don't know enough about it to be giving advice

(d)not really. Theres bound to be loads of people in your position. If there isn't a solution now theres bound to be a work around soon.

orget spotify for €30 a year is awful handy

donegal. wrote: »
    (a) if your music is stored on a pc that has bluetooth, you can play and control the music from the pc and have the sound come from alexa speaker

(b)yes, but the free usage is only about 300 songs. For more music storage you have to pay
    (c) Sorry I don't know enough about it to be giving advice

(d)not really. Theres bound to be loads of people in your position. If there isn't a solution now theres bound to be a work around soon.

orget spotify for €30 a year is awful handy

Hi,

Thanks for the heads up.
    It now looks a bit better.
    You are probably a right with "solution should be available ".

Thanks

Jay

Hi,

Sorry for this but where do you get " spotify 30.00 per annum ".
    I cannot see that online.
    It seems to be a lot more !!

Am I missing something.... again ...

Thanks

Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Hi,

Sorry for this but where do you get " spotify 30.00 per annum ".
    I cannot see that online.
    It seems to be a lot more !!

Am I missing something.... again ...

Thanks

Jay

Check out this thread:

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057655713/111

Hi,

Thanks for that....
    Would not have thought of it...

Thanks

Jay

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Has anyone managed to get Alexa to successfully control your Sonos?

My Dot arrives Thursday but when I searched for Sonos in Alexa skills on amazon.co.uk, its says Sonos not available for my region?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

flyandrain wrote: »
    Hi, Folks, i disabled Harmony skill on my Echo, and try to reinstall it, but i can not find Harmony skill anywhere in the skill store. what did i do wrong ?

If you get sorted can you let me know I am trying to set up harmony on my echo dot with no success.
    I search for the harmony home skills and it tells me there is two results but only shows me one yonomi.....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

tweek84 wrote: »
    If you get sorted can you let me know I am trying to set up harmony on my echo dot with no success.
    I search for the harmony home skills and it tells me there is two results but only shows me one yonomi.....:mad:

I've tried and tried to get this to work but it fails every time both using the harmony skill and the Yonomi one./ I'm pretty decent with tech stuff but this has me beat so bad that I gave up.

Advertisement