Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Evil Computer Games thread

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Yup, s'your own fault Colm! ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Why would you feel guilty for grinding? it's harder at the start and it makes the game better[I loved having my super pwnage team that I never needed to change] as you have your dream team.

I'm just starting in Kanto and haven't even made a start on my elite team[well Ampharos,but that's just 'cos I've no electric types]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

What the hell is grinding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Sentineil

The wonders of Wikipedia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Sounds pretty stupid to me. The old pokemons were easily beatable without having to spend ages walking around waiting for enemies to appear. Why'd they change it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

What the hell is grinding?

Well, when a Pokémon and its trainer are very much in love, they run around a grass patch together for hours while pressing 'A'. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I'm trying to build up the courage to fight Red. I tried once but got absolutely destroyed because his pokémon are high levels and I haven't been bothered to grind loads yet. Can't remember what levels my pokémon are at as my DS is out of battery and I refuse to charge it until I finish my exams then I can beat that pesky pikachu wielding kid from Pallet town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

While we're talking pokemon, don't suppose anyone has a Shiny Stone they want to send me? I've got a Togetic that needs evolving :p

No one can conorstuff :D

(I just tried to tab complete your name. Spending too much time in that IRC channel >_< :P)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

syncosised wrote: »
    Now normally I'd feel bad for someone in this case, but this is why you don't pirate!

Well, I'm hardly going to carry my gameboy around all of the time, and I don't have a DS, so come on, the iPod is the ultimate solution to play Gold :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

The Urbz: Sims in the City on my GBA.

A game I recently rediscovered and I'm glad I did. Although I do wish your stats didn't decline so quickly. Sleeping, ****ting and showering gets very tedious when you have to do it as often as in this game.

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    No one can conorstuff :D

(I just tried to tab complete your name. Spending too much time in that IRC channel >_< :P)

Not possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I need to get back on Starcraft 2 and TF2, I freakin' love those two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Really want to play Super Smash Bros. Brawl now for some reason. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Colm! wrote: »
    Well, I'm hardly going to carry my gameboy around all of the time, and I don't have a DS, so come on, the iPod is the ultimate solution to play Gold :(
    Obviously it's not! :P I just think that if you want to play a game, you should play it like it was meant to be, on its original console. And you should pay for it, of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Obviously it's not! :P I just think that if you want to play a game, you should play it like it was meant to be, on its original console. And you should pay for it, of course!

Sounds like an alarmingly practical solution!......

Lads, it's been a while since I fired up Audiosurf, but it's up there at the top of my Steam list and I can't keep ignoring it, so can someone give me some awesome songs to play? (preferably with high-scores that I can attempt to beat)

Try this song, although I've never ran it through Audiosurf myself:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFDR77pJh78&feature=related

DO will back me up on this one.

It's called Blue Blur in the Green Fields (link to MP3). It's a remix of Sonic music and it's awesome.

• Advertisement

It is actually class. Listen to it people!! It's free!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

I'm trying to hunt down a copy of Phoenix Wright,I have a sudden desire to play the original again.I think it's because I heard the music!

One of the most surreal experiences I've ever had was playing through Phoenix Wright and then writing a law essay.:D

Now you've made me want to play it! If only for the awesome "Objection!" music!

Now where did I put that game ... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Ah, Phoenix Wright. Love those games! I've yet to play Trials and Tribulations, Apollo Justice and the Edgeworth games, though... if only any local game shop actually had any of them in stock. >_>

Here's some awesome, unobjectionable Mr. Scruffy Detective music from the Jazz/Orchestral arrangement albums Capcom released, and another from Magical Trick Society's album.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Just finished the campaign mode on Bad company 2 there.It was without a doubt one of the worst storylines that I've ever seen in any game.The graphics when you are driving are very poor as well.At least i have Mafia 2 to look forward to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭RocketFalls

I'm holding out until Portal 2 then ditching my Xbox. Beginning to get very disillusioned with the medium as a whole.

Blur is a shallow racing game based on explosions and pretty colours. It's essentially Mario Kart for grown ups.

It is AWESOME.

I'm trying to hunt down a copy of Phoenix Wright,I have a sudden desire to play the original again.I think it's because I heard the music!

One of the most surreal experiences I've ever had was playing through Phoenix Wright and then writing a law essay.:D

Greatest DS games ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Another great DS game.

hotel%20dusk%20cover.jpg

• Advertisement

Replaying Final Fantasy 5 for the GBA. Awesome :D

Greatest DS games ever.

Wrong, wrong, wrong! Elite Beat Agents holds that title!

I really, really should buy a DS. I actually can't give you a single reason for not owning a console with Elite Beat Agents on it :P
    Well, I've only played a small bit of Osu! (that open-source PC clone of it), but I just think it's AWESOME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Just gathered up all the PC games I have throughout the years, so many awful, awful games I bought on impulse due to ridiculous cheapness or special offers.
    I honestly haven't even played a lot of them :/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I still love Age of Empires 2, and its expansion pack, The Conquerors.
    They taught me more about Junior Cert History than any text-book!

Lads, there's a program, I *think* it's called GameRanger but it lets you play AOE2 online. Anyone up for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Blur is a shallow racing game based on explosions and pretty colours. It's essentially Mario Kart for grown ups.

It is AWESOME.

I don't like that ad!It doesn't fill you with much confidence in a game when its marketing campaign is to bash the competition.

Mario Kart is not for kids.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I discovered the kids d'mudder minds have a super-magic (i.e pirated) cartridge with Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing, Pokémon [insert colour] and some crap games all on the one thingy! My first thought was "why in my day" and my next was "this is going to be mysteriously missing soon".

I fully condone stealing from children- it's..a lesson about..about...pirated games...and the law..and stuff.

I'm also considering getting the Beatles RB for about the 90th time. It's gotten so cheap I can't turn in down any more.

Beatles RB is so cheap now! I do want to buy it. Awesome music + awesome game + the instruments at a decent price = must buy.

Thing is though I also really want to buy DJ Hero, so I've got a choice to make. Beatles RB has brilliant music. DJ Hero has brilliant gameplay and a decent soundtrack. Plus, more tracks.... Tough call really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Started Heavy Rain the other day and finished it the same day. Unbelievable game will have to play through again though.......:D

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Started Heavy Rain the other day and finished it the same day. Unbelievable game will have to play through again though.......:D

I was waiting for that game to be released for ages, I was more than impressed when I finally laid my hands on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I was waiting for that game to be released for ages, I was more than impressed when I finally laid my hands on it.

I accidently ended up with one character dead and another in Jail by the end of it. Love the fact it just keeps going no matter what.

I accidently ended up with one character dead and another in Jail by the end of it. Love the fact it just keeps going no matter what.
    I only had one slip up but it was because i had no clue what to do, after I failed I just tried again and succeded :)

Got the nearly best ending, my brother has gotten all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

My sister is playing some game on the Wii...I wish she'd stop, I want to watch the DVD I bought and I'm too comfortable to move to the other TV :(

I don't like that ad!It doesn't fill you with much confidence in a game when its marketing campaign is to bash the competition.

Mario Kart is not for kids.:mad:

That ad is teh awesome! Mario Kart is fine, but it doesn't have neon spheres that explode in fireworks on impact. Blur is also beautifully arcade-ey, me and my 10 year old brother have been having a great time in the split screen.

It is essentially Mario Kart but for big boys :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Prices for Xbox Live are going to go up by around €10 from November.

I'm very glad I have a PS3 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

That's why I'm really considering a PS3. Also the fact that my Xbox is broken, and I don't want to have to spend money to fix it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Kersmash wrote: »
    anyone else see the prestige edition for black ops? lulz, seems like a waste of money tbh.
    I bought the MW2 one. Just saw that one now and I want it. :o
    360, is it? That's a good bit cheaper than a PS3. If you're looking for a new one you won't find much variation in the prices, as there's very little profit from hardware.
    A 360 is initially cheaper but add in 4 years of XBOX live and the PS3 is cheaper. Plus it can play Blu-Rays and is very handy for media viewing
    I discovered the kids d'mudder minds have a super-magic (i.e pirated) cartridge with Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing, Pokémon [insert colour] and some crap games all on the one thingy! My first thought was "why in my day" and my next was "this is going to be mysteriously missing soon".

I fully condone stealing from children- it's..a lesson about..about...pirated games...and the law..and stuff.
    My cousins have one with about 40 games. :eek:
    I have to get that.
    Prices for Xbox Live are going to go up by around €10 from November.

I'm very glad I have a PS3 now.
    I hold the same sentiments. :D

OMG NO! Now I have to (people may want to sit down for this) €5 a month to play online. €5!! Gees, if I only I earned that in half an hour.

PS: I mainly only play SF online and, like many multiplatform games, the online community on the PS3 is a ghost town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

OMG NO! Now I have to (people may want to sit down for this) €5 a month to play online. €5!! Gees, if I only I earned that in half an hour.

PS: I mainly only play SF online and, like many multiplatform games, the online community on the PS3 is a ghost town.

€5 a month is infinitely more than the €0 a month you pay on PS3. I'm not as readily willing to pay for something that I can get for free on another platform, that I think is better than the 360.

• Advertisement
Advertisement