Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Evil Computer Games thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Just finished Splinter Cell Conviction, good game and lots of fun. Just it seemed like the campaign was a little too short for my liking, but there is still a lot of other things to do.

Also think I might start Mass Effect 2 again, one of my favourite games in the past while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I found a copy of Fable I bought but never played. I may have a go at it. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Discs don't have unlimited space, no matter what people think. The sheer size of Fallout 3 means that it has to lose some of its graphics.
    It's either have a smaller world and less missions, or slightly worse graphics. Sure to be honest the graphics aren't even bad, they're pretty good considering everything.
    if you ever install fallout 3 to an xbox hard drive, it's actually smaller than the majority of games out there. that includes games with much smaller worlds/campaigns. From that i drag the conclusion, that more could have been achieved with graphics, but like i said, it was quite insignificant, as the gameplay was superb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

seanbmc wrote: »
    Just finished Splinter Cell Conviction, good game and lots of fun. Just it seemed like the campaign was a little too short for my liking, but there is still a lot of other things to do.

Also think I might start Mass Effect 2 again, one of my favourite games in the past while.

Still never completed it and bought it on release... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Jackobyte wrote: »
    The two discs could be set up to install onto the console/computer and only use the first disc for verification processes (like SIMS). Solid graphics and no need to swap discs. Simples. :)

Unfortunately when it came out, xbox didn't allow installing from discs to hard drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Higher storage capacity doesn't necessarily mean nicer graphics anyway, usually that comes down to good art direction. A game can have several gigabytes worth of textures, can be rendered in super-super-HD and still look like an appalling mess. :p

I haven't played Fallout 3, but I'd imagine it's visually similar to Oblivion. That was a nice-looking game! The environments were well designed and you had lots of scenic views to enjoy. It's the animation that severely let it down, though. If you switched into 3rd-person mode your character would float around the landscape, twitching like a puppeteered corpse with each controller input. The immensely creepy-looking procedurally generated faces of the game's NPCs were terrifying, too. Something stirred beneath their polygonal flesh! *shiver*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Last night I had a dream that I was fighting an endless legion of level 45 Beedrill. It was intense and scary.

Eventually, with a rush of euphoria, I realised that my Arcanine could one-hit-kill all of them. Victory was mine.

My life is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Higher storage capacity doesn't necessarily mean nicer graphics anyway, usually that comes down to good art direction. A game can have several gigabytes worth of textures, can be rendered in super-super-HD and still look like an appalling mess. :p

I haven't played Fallout 3, but I'd imagine it's visually similar to Oblivion. That was a nice-looking game! The environments were well designed and you had lots of scenic views to enjoy. It's the animation that severely let it down, though. If you switched into 3rd-person mode your character would float around the landscape, twitching like a puppeteered corpse with each controller input. The immensely creepy-looking procedurally generated faces of the game's NPCs were terrifying, too. Something stirred beneath their polygonal flesh! *shiver*

Ha I dug out my copy of Oblivion a few days ago. Much better than Fallout IMO. Fallout doesn't have anywhere near the variety that Oblivion does (and Oblivion doesn't really have a lot). It's mostly a grey,brown, yellow mess. Never understood the appeal of the game, it takes a lot of effort for me to play it and I like RPGs.

I gave up on Fallout very quickly. Encounters with ghouls resulted in death/near death so I tried to avoid them. This slowed the game a lot as I had to wait for them to pass. I ended up in shock for ages (for no reason) and it slowed my walking tenfold. It took ages to move around and I gave up before even getting to the radio station. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

16 Hours playtime in Heart Gold already O_o...

EDIT: Just got the Ecruteak Gym Badge :D GWAN STANTLER, YOU LEDGE!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Lads.

Knights of the Old Republic.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Shadowrun!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

So lads, Alien Swarm was released last night on Steam for free. Played through the campaign there and kept getting killed horribly as you do. Good fun all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Football Manager. How I missed thee.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Davidius wrote: »
    So lads, Alien Swarm was released last night on Steam for free. Played through the campaign there and kept getting killed horribly as you do. Good fun all the same.

Thanks for the heads up, imma pick it up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

Anyone else looking forward to Reach?

The ONLY good thing to come out of Halo is Red Vs. Blue. Everything else is a pox on gaming and may it die in a hole. "Halo 3: Finish the fight". Yeah, right :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Downloading this Alien Swarm thing now, though doubtful my laptop can play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    The ONLY good thing to come out of Halo is Red Vs. Blue. Everything else is a pox on gaming and may it die in a hole. "Halo 3: Finish the fight". Yeah, right :rolleyes:
    All of the Halo's are great games in that you can just pick them up and play. There's no need to learn what's going on, you just point your gun and shoot.
    With Halo 3 it's the multiplayer that keeps people coming back to it. To this day it's still played by millions of people worldwide, three years after its release. There aren't many games out there that can say the same.

Reach is adding a bunch of crap more, and with tons more customization you can count on the community to continue making more great map and game variants from it for years to come.

Well those are my excuses anyway. To each his own :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I'm playing through Mega Man 4, Castlevania and Super Mario 64 at the moment.

Castlevania is awesome despite the fact that I cannot beat Frankenstein.

Super Mario 64 is as awesome as always. Good fun.

Mega Man 4 is disappointing. I thought it'd be better. I am enjoying it but the fact that enemies respawn the minute the screen pans away from them annoys me especially if you have to avoid multiple enemies and you jump away and then jump back and they've all respawned. It's still fun though, very good game. Just a few gripes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Awaiting my copy of Thief 3 to arrive :(. It has scariest level in a game ever, shalebridge cradle. Makes resi evil/silent hill/fatal frame look like kids games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

All of the Halo's are great games in that you can just pick them up and play. There's no need to learn what's going on, you just point your gun and shoot.
    With Halo 3 it's the multiplayer that keeps people coming back to it. To this day it's still played by millions of people worldwide, three years after its release. There aren't many games out there that can say the same.

Reach is adding a bunch of crap more, and with tons more customization you can count on the community to continue making more great map and game variants from it for years to come.

Well those are my excuses anyway. To each his own :pac:

This is very true. I didn't even like Halo 3 very much but I still think it's cool. You can play Halo with friends of any skill level and still have fun. Plus, the effort that goes into Halo is really above and beyond other FPS games. People still aren't able to record their COD or GOW matches, or create their own maps like in Halo. Also, I don't think anyone ever feels conned when they buy a Halo game in the way that, let's say, someone who has bought CODMOD 2 finds out there's another one already coming in 3 months does.Edit: I forgot about Halo ODST...

Fact is, I took this picture three years ago of my ULTIMATE PWNAGE of someone, and it's still on Bungie's site. That's amazing: halo3shot.jpg

I'm almost tempted to get Halo Reach and pay Microsoft 60 doubloons to play online.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I love The Sims 3...but I always feel so guilty when my Sim ends up more successful and an all round better person then I am.

Piste wrote: »
    I love The Sims 3...but I always feel so guilty when my Sim ends up more successful and an all round better person then I am.

That's easily fixed with a doorless room with everything they'd ever need in it... but a toilet. Yeah not so great now, are yeah Sim?!

That's easily fixed with a doorless room with everything they'd ever need in it... but a toilet. Yeah not so great now, are yeah Sim?!
    Indoor fireworks tbh. :P

Also, set up my original Xbox for the first time in about 2 years. I had bought a few of the "2 for €5" xbox games in Gamestop sometime last year but never played them. True Crime:Streets of LA is so much fun. You forget that it was made in 2003 and the graphics are poor by today's standard very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

You know whats great craic? Isolate one Sim that's pìssing you off in a room they can just about stand in, with nothing but a window into the kitchen, so they can watch the other Sims eating while they slowly starve to death...
    Think I belonged in Stalin's Russia tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Assassins Creed 2. Just spent about 3 days straight playing it.

A bit of Bomberman Live on the side as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Assassins Creed 2. Just spent about 3 days straight playing it.
    My only complaint is that the missions are way too easy.Having said that 'm really looking forward to brotherhood coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Pokemon Soul Silver....
    The Nostalgia is pouring out my DS.

That shiny gyarados :cool:
    some good times

after this its back to finishing AC2 and then Dead Space :o

theni may just trade in my ps3 and pick up an xbox 360 :eek: (never thought i'd be saying that :()

• Advertisement

My DS has started to act up. >.<

Advertisement