Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Evil Computer Games thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Jackobyte wrote: »
    My DS has started to act up. >.<

Hmm, that sucks. Have the shoulder buttons become unresponsive, or is it doing that thing where the console randomly freezes and brings you to a white screen? My DS Lite decided to do both for a few months, but it seems to be behaving now after following this guide. What is it with videogames and blowing into things to get them working?

Speaking of DS-based goodness, I just finished playing Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance on it today. Not quite as good as the Soma Cruz Castlevanias, but it's a fun game! The way you can make your character dash about using L and R is awesome, if RSI-inducing. Also, hooray for that sense of triumph after defeating Boss Rush on hard mode! tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Hmm, that sucks. Have the shoulder buttons become unresponsive, or is it doing that thing where the console randomly freezes and brings you to a white screen? My DS Lite decided to do both for a few months, but it seems to be behaving now after following this guide. What is it with videogames and blowing into things to get them working?

Speaking of DS-based goodness, I just finished playing Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance on it today. Not quite as good as the Soma Cruz Castlevanias, but it's a fun game! The way you can make your character dash about using L and R is awesome, if RSI-inducing. Also, hooray for that sense of triumph after defeating Boss Rush on hard mode! tongue.gif
    Seems to have fixed itself. I can now start Heart Gold. Which is the best starting pokemon? I picked Cyndaquil.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

I can now start Heart Gold. Which is the best starting pokemon?

Totodile's a safe bet, Water type attacks aren't resisted by too many Pokémon and he learns plenty of good ones. Plus, he grows up to become the awesome-looking Feraligatr! Chikorita can learn Aromatherapy and is good as a defensive, supporting Pokémon. Cyndaquil is a strong, fast special attacker with a terrifyingly powerful Eruption, but it doesn't have a very wide selection of moves unless you breed one.

They're all equally viable in their own ways, I picked Cyndaquil too!

Totodile's a safe bet, Water type attacks aren't resisted by too many Pokémon and he learns plenty of good ones. Plus, he grows up to become the awesome-looking Feraligatr! Chikorita can learn Aromatherapy and is good as a defensive, supporting Pokémon. Cyndaquil is a strong, fast special attacker with a terrifyingly powerful Eruption, but it doesn't have a very wide selection of moves unless you breed one.

They're all equally viable in their own ways, I picked Cyndaquil too!
    I picked cyndaquil and ninja-edited my post within the 1 minute limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

I picked cyndaquil and ninja-edited my post within the 1 minute limit.
    It runs like this basically;
    Fire type;highly offensive,weak defensively
    Water type; decent offence,decent defence
    Grass type;Low offence ,high defense

this is more to do with their abilities than their stats.I always picked the water type,they can normally learn cut and surf once you get the HM's and you'll rarely use them in the late game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

I always chose grass starter. That said, in my recent play of Gold (I lost the save file for it around the point I had finished the first team rocket base because I had to update my iPod (I really need to get a GBC or DS to play Gold on :( )), I ended up starting Chikorita, but I never used it much when I had Sudowoodo and Pidgeotto as my main two pokemon. That wasn't too late into the game tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

My Meganium is a bit crap. That said, I rented a level 100 one @Big Root in the Battle Factory the other day with a great moveset - Giga Drain, Leech Seed, Toxic, and Subsitute. Worked really well. I'll have to revamp my own Meganium's moveset methinks...

[Shameless plug]
    so would Mactavish/Price from call of duty survive the zombie apocolypse?:
    if only there was a place you could find out
    [/Shameless plug]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I found both my DS and my old Gameboy Advance SP while cleaning out my room today.

There was even a pokemon game in the Gameboy. I was so tempted to start the game again but I just couldn't bear to lose all the pokemon I had. I saw that I had a couple of level 60s and just couldn't get rid of all the hours that I spent training thatm.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Age of Empires II: The Conquerers.

I love this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Age of Empires II: The Conquerers.

I love this game.

Spent hours playing that game. Strange because I never really a fan of RTS games. I used to love age of mythology as well.

Half life 2 and the episodes are just so awesome,even when spoiled by D4RK ONION :P

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

I'm playing through Soulsilver at the moment...it's just not the same, it failed to retain the charm of the original Silver game, and frankly, the game's formulae has failed to progress at all in fifteen years.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Half life 2 and the episodes are just so awesome,even when spoiled by D4RK ONION :P

upgradeurpcplz :P

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    upgradeurpcplz :P
    I know,if and or when I get money I'ma buy a laptop that can play games,Steam has never even heard of my graphics card it's so cheap and obscure.

Fanboyism, I hate it.

Tired of listening to the snobbery of PC gamers saying keyboard and mouse is the only way to play. Get off your high horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

creggy wrote: »
    Fanboyism, I hate it.

Tired of listening to the snobbery of PC gamers saying keyboard and mouse is the only way to play. Get off your high horse.

Nethack doesn't run on the XBox tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Fanboyism, I hate it.

To be fair for FPS games a mouse and keyboard is a lot better.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I felt the same as you creggy, til I bought TF2. Even just being able to press u and chat is awesome.

Joysticks have to be way more intuitive though?

• Advertisement

Joysticks have to be way more intuitive though?

Dunno. I've never really played any games with a joystick outside of an arcade.

Not deny that, but some people think it's the only way to play.

Try playing a driving sim with a keyboard...

Not deny that, but some people think it's the only way to play.

Try playing a driving sim with a keyboard...

Yeah it sucks for sports games really. Wouldn't like to play a game like Mario on a keyboard either

Dunno. I've never really played any games with a joystick outside of an arcade.
    Meant joypad. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

^ I guessed :P

Personally I prefer handheld held consoles for unknown reasons. Haven't been compelled to play the playstation in almost two years.

I studied for a bit today so I rewarded myself with some brain-deadening gaming.

destroy_all_humans_2.jpg

Haven't played it since it came out. Can be insanely fun, but I know it gets old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I studied for a bit today so I rewarded myself with some brain-deadening gaming.

destroy_all_humans_2.jpg

Haven't played it since it came out. Can be insanely fun, but I know it gets old.

Wouldnt the brain deadening part counteract the study?

Wouldnt the brain deadening part counteract the study?

Nah, it's just the warm-down session :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Nah, it's just the warm-down session :cool:
    ANAL PROBE

• Advertisement

ANAL PROBE
    I had forgotten about that. That was so funny, seeing them run around with their hands on their ass.

Advertisement