Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Evil Computer Games thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Bought Dead Space for €12 because I had some money left on a GameStop voucher. I hear tell of its goodness.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Best of luck finishing it :P I never could.

I did finish "The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom a few days ago, which I got in a Steam sale for €2. Well worth it, but I wouldn't have paid the usual 10 or so for it. Witty and challenging, but it was no Braid.

pbwinterbottom.jpg

Anyone here played Limbo? I've heard really good things.

1440176-limbo_xbla_box_art_large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Best of luck finishing it :P I never could.

I did finish "The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom a few days ago, which I got in a Steam sale for €2. Well worth it, but I wouldn't have paid the usual 10 or so for it. Witty and challenging, but it was no Braid.

Anyone here played Limbo? I've heard really good things.

1440176-limbo_xbla_box_art_large.jpg
    I've heard great things about it as well. Shame it is only for Xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

I replayed Majora's Mask with my brother over the past few days. Amazing game, probably my favourite Zelda! Here's a rough description in case you haven't heard of/played it...

Link sets off in search of Navi after the end of Ocarina of Time, wandering through the Lost Woods. He's suddenly ambushed by a masked imp and its fairy friends, and they steal his horse and ocarina. He chases after them but becomes lured into a bizarre alternate version of Hyrule called Termina. He discovers that this parallel world will be soon be destroyed, as a demonic force has possessed its moon and will cause it to crash into Clock Town after three days.

majorasmaskmoon.jpg

Once you've retrieved your Ocarina, you use it to repeatedly travel back in time to the beginning of the three days to find a way of stopping the moon from destroying Termina. This means exploring and solving puzzles within four temples, just like in any Zelda game. However, most of the game actually takes place outside the temples, which is unusual for Zelda. This emphasis on side-quests is my favourite thing about Majora's Mask.

The three-day time-travel system adds so much depth to the game, as you get to see what each of Clock Town's inhabitants do with themselves as the moon looms ever closer. Most of the side-quests involve trying to change the course of characters' lives, and some of them are extremely moving. The most complicated one spans the full three days, where you have to try and reunite the inn keeper Anju with her missing fiancé Kafei... I don't want to say too much about it, but the end is very memorable and so touching.

So, yes! A great game from ten years ago, full of clever puzzles, characters with emotional and often sad stories, and a creepy, chilling atmosphere and mythology! It holds up really well. If you haven't already, be sure to play it if you get the chance!

majorasmaskart.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Ah Majora's Mask. The disappointing second child. How could it live up to Ocarina of Time? It sure is a game that divides people!

I actually never owned it on the N64, but my friend did, and I got fairly far in it until the moon came crashing down, destroying hours of progress as I delivered the final blow to a temple boss. I never went back to it after that, and I suspect this also happened many others. The game's best feature was also its worst.

I think I've given it enough time to finally finish it again, as I strive to finish every Zelda game. All that remain are Zelda II, A Link to the Past and Majora's Mask. I got close to finishing both of the last two, while I've not played Zelda II for more than 10 minutes. And no, of course the CDi games don't count! I suppose there's also Four Swords, but that always struck me as a bit of a spin-off.

Following on from this, as many of you may be aware, I am very much of the opinion that Ocarina of Time is the best game ever made, along with many others. Of course, it's not fair of me to make claims like this unless I've tried the competition, and right now I'm doing just that.

Ffviibox.jpg

Voted "Best. Game. Ever." in 2005 in GameFAQs, only to be replaced by Ocarina of Time in 2009, Final Fantasy VII is considered a classic by most. I downloaded it on the PSP. Being able to download classic PS1 games on the PlayStation Store is great, as I never had a PlayStation, so I get to play all the classics.

I'm not that long into FFVII, but already it's making its mark as an excellent RPG. There's so much detail in all the environments, and the storyline is not at all how I expected it would be. The battle system is not one I'm used to, but it's quite interesting. It runs perfectly on the PSP, like it was made for it.

So, only 100 hours to go and I can make my decision! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Playing Half Life 2 for the second time! It is such an excellent game! Even the Original Half Life would be playable now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Halo Reach Ad-Literal Song Version

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I got two games for €26 yesterday. I was asked for ID when buying bioshock, I wanted to slap her :mad: Flashpoint is alright even though it gets a flack from people.

Bioshock2Gamebox.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1266720426804cover.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

:eek:

*NERDGASM*
    gimmegimmegimmegimme

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Slicey slicey :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

:eek:

*NERDGASM*
    gimmegimmegimmegimme
    <3 Raiden.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

71648-24.jpg

Started playing Bomberman recently. Love that game. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Killzone 2 is amazing I'm in love with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Sentineil

Killzone 2 is amazing I'm in love with it.

Really? Does the huge delay between when you press a button and it actually doing what it's suppose to not bother you at all?

The accuracy being so bad that to hit anything you have to intentionally miss-aim?

The bot and drone spam fest of the higher ranked rooms?

The terrible sensitivity? Even though it's up full you still feel like you're stuck in mud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Sentineil wrote: »
    Really? Does the huge delay between when you press a button and it actually doing what it's suppose to not bother you at all?

The accuracy being so bad that to hit anything you have to intentionally miss-aim?

The terrible sensitivity? Even though it's up full you still feel like you're stuck in mud.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Lads. I need an XBOX. Does anyone know where I can buy one SUPER AWESOME CHEAP or want to like, give me their one? Cause I totally deserve it y'know >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Hotaru wrote: »
    Lads. I need an XBOX. Does anyone know where I can buy one SUPER AWESOME CHEAP or want to like, give me their one? Cause I totally deserve it y'know >_>

I know gamestop generally have a decent price on their pre owned consoles. Worth a look in anyway. GAME are more expensive but generally better from experience.

No.
    No.
    No.
    No.

Spacing is your friend.
    ME! wrote:
    No

No.

No.

No.

See how much prettier it looks? Less like a tantrum too!

Oh hey Sentineil! I feel like he made valid arguments myself. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Why should that bother you? It's just putting emphasis on the delay between thought and action we all experience in our lives. It's supposed to be realistic.
    Once again this just adds to the realism of the game. Sure if you have training you'll be able to aim a decent bit but if your hand-eye coordination is a bit off then it's only natural that aiming at a different location than your target can actually yield positive results. Not to mention the factors of bullet travel time and external forces. They're just approximating to give you a realistic experience without relying on overcomplicated calculations to maximise performance. I have to hand it to Guerilla games, they know how to balance efficiency and functionality.
    Like I said before, realism is key. When you're in a battle zone you're going to be facing off against several different enemies, most of which have a habit of spamming death at you. Now just imagine instead of death being spammed, it's bots and drones. The situations are analogous.
    They're just trying to give you a feeling of stressful situations that your training and experience haven't prepared you for. You're bound to lose muscle control in the heat of combat, it's only natural that your character would be in such distress that he does everything with an endearing thousand-yard stare.

• Advertisement

You raise some very valid points.

I wish to withdraw my previous negativity. I had underestimated Guerrilla. Clearly they are designing games for true gamers and not a peon like me.
    They're just trying to give you a feeling of stressful situations that your training and experience haven't prepared you for. You're bound to lose muscle control in the heat of combat, it's only natural that your character would be in such distress that he does everything with an endearing thousand-yard stare.

I think you may be onto something here. Perhaps this is the reason devs intentionally put lag and rubberbanding in my games. It's all for my benefit.

Davidius, do you by chance have a newsletter I could subscribe too?

Lads.

XBOX yea?

Or PS3 possibly.

Seriously, whichever is cheapest.

One is desperate here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Perhaps this is the reason devs intentionally put lag and rubberbanding in my games. It's all for my benefit.

You don't find the lag (and reduced accuracy) to add a layer of difficulty and suspense to the game?
    I mean if the bullets always went exactly where you aimed and you had perfect knowledge of the current (to within a small fraction of a second) game state a monkey could play a perfect game, what's the fun in that?

I mean obviously it's not much fun when you're losing, some people just can't account for these things, but the answer isn't to drag gaming back to the 90s, it's to find a game more suitable for your skill level.

360 is cheaper to my mind? Look on adverts.ie you might find something cheap.

Pygmalion wrote: »
    You don't find the lag (and reduced accuracy) to add a layer of difficulty and suspense to the game?
    I mean if the bullets always went exactly where you aimed and you had perfect knowledge of the current (to within a small fraction of a second) game state a monkey could play a perfect game, what's the fun in that?

I mean obviously it's not much fun when you're losing, some people just can't account for these things, but the answer isn't to drag gaming back to the 90s, it's to find a game more suitable for your skill level.

My eyes are truly open now. Maybe rubberbanding is just a lapse in concentration. Like when you walk down to the shops, but then forget to go to the shop and end up somewhere completely different.

So with lag and rubberbanding, it mimics this by putting me somewhere else entirely. Genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

My eyes are truly open now. Maybe rubberbanding is just a lapse in concentration. Like when you walk down to the shops, but then forget to go to the shop and end up somewhere completely different.

So with lag and rubberbanding, it mimics this by putting me somewhere else entirely. Genius.

Perhaps in this case they're sacrificing realism for difficulty, it might be annoying for some, but believe me, if gamers didn't want this it wouldn't make it onto the shelves, and there are plenty of games without this behaviour (and it's disabled in the single-player modes of many games to appeal to more casual gamers).
    There's no technical reason for the rubber-banding, it's put in purely because there's a demand for it, maybe you're just not the target audience for these games.

I'm probably too casual so the technical ins and outs go over my head.

Modern FPSs like Killzone and CoD need more motion control imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

This is the only thread that I don't have a little ticky box-y thing on the front page for. Its annoying me. So hi :D Computer games are awesome etc :cool:

This is the only thread that I don't have a little ticky box-y thing on the front page for. Its annoying me. So hi :D Computer games are awesome etc :cool:

That's NO HELP to me and my console problem Queenie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Hotaru wrote: »
    That's NO HELP to me and my console problem Queenie.

Stop with the -ie's. Arghhhhhhhh :p

Or I shall have to start calling you Hot-ie...oh no wait...:confused::pac:

Advertisement