Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Evil Computer Games thread

Options
13468954

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella


    It would be nice if the Engineers got some sort of remote-controlled reconnaissance robot thingy. They could use it to help their more offensive team-mates stay informed on the front lines, or they could keep an eye on their sentry with it while they're busy chasing around the place with a shotgun. Perhaps it could be detonated too, to dis-encourage sap-happy Spies? It might have woeful consequences for the overall balance of the game, but it could be fun!

    Anyway, speaking of videogames, I'm playing Link's Awakening at the moment! Really enjoying it, very fun and it can be so touching at times. Such terrific music, too! Here, have a listen:


  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION


    Link's awakening? That's the one Synco has a poxy 92,000 views on, the bastard :P



  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella


    Whoa! Small world, I spotted that video while looking on YouTube earlier. That's so cool, nice one Syncosised! Must have been a nightmare to pull that feat off, if you pardon the unintentional pun. :p


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet


    Played Castlevania Legacy of Darkness there. What an amazing game. The crappy voice acting and music really ruin the ps2 titles.


  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised


    Whoa! Small world, I spotted that video while looking on YouTube earlier. That's so cool, nice one Syncosised! Must have been a nightmare to pull that feat off, if you pardon the unintentional pun. :p
    Yes, I'll ignore the terrible pun! :P I played Link's Awakening so much when I was younger, I find it incredibly easy now. I saved often, but never actually had to reload a save or anything, I didn't die once. Never could go back to that shop though! :D


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella


    syncosised wrote: »
    Never could go back to that shop though!

    Ah yes. Are you proud of yourself? CCTV footage of your criminal antics right here: :p

    la_thief.png


  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION


    Davidius wrote: »
    In fairness I think all they really did was switch it from ROLL THE DICE SHOTGUN to CHAINSAW VACUUM OF DEATH. CAPS

    I remember looking forward to Gears 2 hoping they'd fixed the horrible mess that was online mode.

    ROLL THE DICE SHOTGUN I'm afraid, is a concept known only to people with no knowledge of how it works. Shotgun damage is affected by speed of fire-er/target, aim, active ammo and shot placement. If you played me or any of my friends during our Gears days (or even now), there'd be no roll the dice about it, you'd be mush on the floor.

    On top of that, the pistol was also deadly, two-piecing or "BAM BAM WHAM" as Synosised named it was probably a million times worse than the shotgun in certain situations.

    The only thing that needed fixing was Host Powers (which were ridiculous) and possibly removing instant downs on active sniper shots.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius


    When you talk about the variables involved in a well-placed shotgun shot, I assume you mean those played in local matches? Nobody would play local matches with me because I have too many friends so I was restricted to online mode. The shotgun in duels seemed to be based mostly around who happened to shoot the right arbitrary piece of wall, the host decided that the other player was there. Maybe it's because my connection is shíte. I can remember it feeling futile to try and lancer the hell out of somebody roadie-running from miles away while holding a shotgun. Hammerburst was more effective but chainsaw kills were too hilarious.

    Active downs were unnecessarily good if I remember it correctly. They were avoidable but terribly annoying.


  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION


    Well, I wont insinuate on your skill/connection but one of my good friends SENT1N3L was one of the well known players in online gears, to the point where people would kick him as soon as he entered a server because he was so good. Many's the hour I spent at his house playing split screen online, and he rarely played at any standard worse that Godlike. I imagine it was prolly your connection providing too much of a wall for you to get any better.

    It's a pity you never got to play lan player matches, for the best part of a 18 months, we would drag 4 TVs and 4 XBOXs into a room and play offline every weekend. It was epic. :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr


    It saddens me to think back to my days with the first Gears of War, so much fun was had- verbally abusing people when you were on a hot streak, the dread of a 1 v 4 stand-off, hiding in really sneaky places then shazamming (it's a verb!) a foe with your shotgun. Then everyone went off to play GOW2, which was an utter travesty of a game, and Modern Warfare. Things were never the same.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja


    Dawn of War and Dawn of War: D4RK crusade.Holy balls they're amazing games[especially at the price I paid :pac:]


  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION


    Dawn of War and Dawn of War: D4RK crusade.Holy balls they're amazing games[especially at the price I paid :pac:]

    Sure, isn't DoW: DC where I originally used this name :D The mod community was just phenomenal though. Blew my mind


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja


    D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Sure, isn't DoW: DC where I originally used this name :D The mod community was just phenomenal though. Blew my mind
    Nice
    I LAN'd it at the weekend,my first time playing it.The synopsis of my reaction was: "Hello,new addiction"


  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised


    D4RK ONION wrote: »
    On top of that, the pistol was also deadly, two-piecing or "BAM BAM WHAM" as Synosised named it was probably a million times worse than the shotgun in certain situations.
    Ah I loved that bam-bam-wham! It instilled fear in even the best Gears of War players. I miss playing that, we played that pretty much all the time two summers ago. Good times! :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster


    So tempted to buy a SNES or N64...


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja


    Level Game

    The definition of evil computer game.This will devour your soul given half a chance.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster


    In a bid on ebay for N64 now.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster


    Snipped at the last second, litterally.


  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion


    I'm just starting to play through Oblivion on the xbox and am so far not impressed. I've allowed for aging of the game, but even for a game of 2006, the graphics/game engine seem shoddy. On top of that, the storytelling method is sub-standard and the game struggles to find a strong level of consistency. However, for the moment, i'll give it the benefit of the doubt and continue, like i have with Fallout 3.


  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir


    Redlion wrote: »
    , i'll give it the benefit of the doubt and continue, like i have with Fallout 3.
    I think fallout 3 is one of those games that you either love or don't.I like it but i wouldn't say that it's the best game i've ever played.The graphics could be better and there isn't a huge amount to do besides the missions.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion


    I think fallout 3 is one of those games that you either love or don't.I like it but i wouldn't say that it's the best game i've ever played.The graphics could be better and there isn't a huge amount to do besides the missions.

    I really enjoyed playing fallout 3, I racked up about 35 hours of gameplay and still had more to do. For that reason, I disagree with the latter part of your statement. However, I agree that the graphics weren't up to scratch and the third person view looked cheap. But being a man of enjoying a game for it's storytelling and gameplay over graphics, it did not phase me much.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc


    Anyone else playing the Starcraft 2 beta? I keep getting destroyed every match but it's a fun game! :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten


    Redlion wrote: »
    I really enjoyed playing fallout 3, I racked up about 35 hours of gameplay and still had more to do. For that reason, I disagree with the latter part of your statement. However, I agree that the graphics weren't up to scratch and the third person view looked cheap. But being a man of enjoying a game for it's storytelling and gameplay over graphics, it did not phase me much.
    Discs don't have unlimited space, no matter what people think. The sheer size of Fallout 3 means that it has to lose some of its graphics.
    It's either have a smaller world and less missions, or slightly worse graphics. Sure to be honest the graphics aren't even bad, they're pretty good considering everything.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja


    Discs don't have unlimited space, no matter what people think. The sheer size of Fallout 3 means that it has to lose some of its graphics.
    It's either have a smaller world and less missions, or slightly worse graphics. Sure to be honest the graphics aren't even bad, they're pretty good considering everything.
    or two discs :rolleyes:


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon


    Redlion wrote: »
    I'm just starting to play through Oblivion on the xbox and am so far not impressed. I've allowed for aging of the game, but even for a game of 2006, the graphics/game engine seem shoddy. On top of that, the storytelling method is sub-standard and the game struggles to find a strong level of consistency. However, for the moment, i'll give it the benefit of the doubt and continue, like i have with Fallout 3.
    I played at least 400-500 hours of Oblivion and it's various expansions back when it came out. It wasn't even funny how addicted to that game I was (PC, so graphics were awesome too). I had easily 8 or 9 complete playthroughs (with characters reaching level 50+). Fallout was alright, found it a bit repetitive and it lacked enemy variety. The finite ending was a pain too.

    Currently playing Alan Wake, pretty good so far.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms


    or two discs :rolleyes:

    No, there are few things worse than having to do a game disc switch halfway through a play session. Especially in an open world RPG like fallout.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!


    Discs don't have unlimited space, no matter what people think. The sheer size of Fallout 3 means that it has to lose some of its graphics.
    It's either have a smaller world and less missions, or slightly worse graphics. Sure to be honest the graphics aren't even bad, they're pretty good considering everything.

    I actually LOVE the graphics in Fallout 3 when I use FWO and re-texture packages. The modding scene really brought that game back up to form graphically. I don't remember many mods being too radical in changing the gameplay though (although they do exist... someone tell me what they are, I want to play that game again)


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte


    phlegms wrote: »
    No, there are few things worse than having to do a game disc switch halfway through a play session. Especially in an open world RPG like fallout.
    The two discs could be set up to install onto the console/computer and only use the first disc for verification processes (like SIMS). Solid graphics and no need to swap discs. Simples. :)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion


    You guys have just reminded me that I've had Fallout 3 for months now and never even played it due to computer not being good enough ;_;


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir


    I
    Currently playing Alan Wake, pretty good so far.
    Me too.Excellent storyline and amazing graphics (probably the best i've seen on the xbox to date).It doesn't seem to have much to do once you finish the story however and there is a serious amount of out of sync lips.


Advertisement