Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boy 2 falls down 110 metre well in Malaga

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Agree AH is the place for freedom of speech, Bad humour jokes and I'm all for that. A bit of craic and a bit of fun.

But you have to draw the line somewhere in what is craic fun,banter or just plain stupid ignorance.

Anyone who thinks a comedy cartoon being posted in relation to this is normal and ok seriously need to wise up.

And people calling for mods to take a look at people who are be threatening ffs. Hope the Mods let it go so we can see who the assholes are.

It's a pity so many people have lost the ability to scroll past things that they find distasteful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Agree AH is the place for freedom of speech, Bad humour jokes and I'm all for that. A bit of craic and a bit of fun.

But you have to draw the line somewhere in what is craic fun,banter or just plain stupid ignorance.

Anyone who thinks a comedy cartoon being posted in relation to this is normal and ok seriously need to wise up.

And people calling for mods to take a look at people who are be threatening ffs. Hope the Mods let it go so we can see who the assholes are.

I said the mods should look at the posts.

Are you calling me an asshole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

"Won't someone please think of the children" - Helen Lovejoy 1996

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Nope, this episode was the first thing that came to mind. Merely shows the influence the Simpsons has had on people my age.

No need to be mad, friend.

That's not an excuse to post it in a thread about the almost certain death of a child. The old "My friend" comeback is a nice little nudge I'll give you that it trolling 101. That said it just shows a lack of empathy ...My friend 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

I'm in a line of work where I've seen some pretty horrific things. Black humour has kept me and my colleagues sane on many an occasion as a coping mechanism.

The gravity of any situation is however NEVER lost on any of us and a joke in poor taste which can alleviate the gloom of a certain incident is contained within it's own kind of bubble. For that reason we would NEVER repeat some of the stuff we have said outside of that group as the dynamic is not the same.

AH operates on a different level to the rest of boards at times, but you can't hide behind that to justify being a pr1ck about things. There is a big difference between using black humour as described above in a certain moment and posting it online as a permanent record IMHO.

Bad taste IMO but also understandable. It's the lack of recognition that it IS in bad taste that gets me. I just don't get how another person [having been given all the details and time to weigh it up] cannot understand how this reference can be in such poor taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Heartless fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

Can't be easy trying to perform a rescue when no communications can be got from the boy that gives any indication as to their condition or how best to carry out a rescue.

It's only natural to have and make your own associations, and it in no way means you cannot be equally sympathetic to the victims of this horrible situation.

Do ye not realise how insensitive and frankly sick posting something like that is? Baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

It's a pity so many people have lost the ability to scroll past things that they find distasteful.

For me, there's a line. Its a lot further out than most people's. I like comedians who push the boat.

That said, there are certain things I don't find funny. Anthony Jeselink did a skit on Eric Clapton's son (who died aged 4/5 by falling out of a window of a high rise building) and I thought it was disgustingly bad taste.

Same here - making fun of a two year kid falling down a well and most likely dying is not, in my opinion, good material for "craic" or a laughing matter.

Some people need to be pulled up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I hope the company who bored the hole and decided not to bother covering it are brought the task in a serious way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Thoughts & prayers for the unlucky child. Its so sad. Accidents and tragedies happen every second of the day. Thats life. It's tough.

So isn't after hours a place where humour and bad taste jokes/comments can be made. Where every comment doesn't have to be factually correct and serious?

I know all about the easily offended crowd trying to shut down any free speech that they dont agree with, and seeing it in action here is worrying to me, but I deal with it and move on without trying to shame them & make them out to be the most vile people on earth.

I too thought of poor Timmy O'Toole when I read the thread title, and now 'sending our love down a well' is stuck in my head..

Ps. I've got kids and Im not a monster.

Free speech is a 2 way street. I have a right to express disgust at what I consider to be an extremely insensitive post. No one is trying to shut down free speech.

I really feel for the family and the little boy, that story is horrific.

At this stage it is probably a recovery rather than a rescue but parents will be haunted by how he died alone and afraid. It doesn't bear thinking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

BPKS wrote: »
    I hope the company who bored the hole and decided not to bother covering it are brought the task in a serious way.

Nothing will happen, it's Spain.

Remember this is a country where a train driver that was posting pictures and videos of himself speeding on facebook weeks before he murdered ~80 people by reckless speeding is walking free living on benefits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

I’m upset with the negligence of whoever left such a horrendous hazard unprotected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Some shower of smart cnuts in here..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

This really is appalling. Absolutely devastating for the family. Not the better of watching that report

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Any news of a rescue? Did he die?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Jesus that hole is tiny?? How did he even fit down it?

Poor family, losing one child is tragic enough but losing two small children in your lifetime is not something any couple should have to ever endure, really hope he makes it

At 73m (240ft) the camera encountered an earth blockage in the shaft

I don't see a positive outcome here, hoping I am wrong.

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    Jesus that hole is tiny?? How did he even fit down it?

Poor family, losing one child is tragic enough but losing two small children in your lifetime is not something any couple should have to ever endure, really hope he makes it

It's wide enough alright. A toddler wouldn't have a hope of supporting their own bodyweight by putting their arms out etc...

pah wrote: »
    I don't see a positive outcome here, hoping I am wrong.

Trying to avoid the news today. Really disturbing to listen to. Cant even imagine what that family is going through. Hoping for a miracle.

We can only hope this ends well. It's such a deep tragedy.

Not sure I agree with you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

disgusting ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Sonic Youth

Omackeral wrote: »
    After reading most of your posts on this site, I'm happy to say I finally agree with you.

Thanks lad, needed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

What a sick individual you are

• Advertisement

I had a subnormal here last night threaten me with violence because I ended a post with the phrase 'oh well' as in 'what can you do?'

You're not dealing with rational people in this thread, just to warn you.

I had a subnormal here last night threaten me with violence because I ended a post with the phrase 'oh well' as in 'what can you do?'

Rational people. What a joke. Two sick puppies you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

The 2 of you lads are degenerate scum, such a horrible incident and you're looking for cheap laughs. Disgusting.

Earleybird wrote: »
    The 2 of you lads are degenerate scum, such a horrible incident and you're looking for cheap laughs. Disgusting.

Wtf did I do?

When I said 'oh well' that honestly had nothing to do with a well, and yet the headcase went ahead and threatened me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

After Hours has gone to the dogs what a pit it has become

No not because of the people making jokes although some would see their humour in bad taste this place seems to be now infected with people unable to take a joke and who are offended by almost everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

RHJ wrote: »

No not because of the people making jokes although some would see their humour in bad taste this place seems to be now infected with people unable to take a joke and who are offended by almost everything.

Maybe go and look for attention and have the lols elsewhere other than a thread about a possibly dead two year old child.

RHJ wrote: »

There are some things that you just don't joke about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 whistleblower3

Negligent parenting.

Now discuss that aspect. I doubt the "Are U OK Hun" and like and share brigade will want to discuss the elephant in the room.

Having lost a child in similar circumstances, the subject of Negligent parenting should be looked at by the authorities.

Imagine complaining how “gone to the dogs” after hours is cos you can’t make fun of the possible death of a baby. Seriously, imagine this thread being about your child? Wouldn’t you want to rip the heads off certain posters? Absolute rotters on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Negligent parenting.

Now discuss that aspect. I doubt the "Are U OK Hun" and like and share brigade will want to discuss the elephant in the room.

Having lost a child in similar circumstances, the subject of Negligent parenting should be looked at by the authorities.

Do you mean these parents ? Their other son died of a cardiac arrest due to a congenital heart defect ?

Negligent parenting.

What similar circumstances have you heard about. I have not read or heard this mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Glad I'm not the only one who thought of the Simpsons when they heard of this.

Too soon ?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nbhiLbT_yGo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,446 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Surely they can test hole for signs of life? A carbon dioxide test to see if there is life? Have they no rope 333ft long>?

davidk1394 wrote: »

That video was the original second post in this thread before the mods deleted it.

That's what's got them so worked up.

That video was the original second post in this thread before the mods deleted it.

That's what's got them so worked up.

They deleted the original post? Ffs.. bet they left the post that threatened to kick someones head in though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

What similar circumstances have you heard about. I have not read or heard this mentioned.

Nothing

**** talk by a sad wanker, like that Sonic Youth fella who needs a good slap

Tears in my eyes reading his mother post on facebook

In Spain this week, Julen’s parents, are praying for his older brother to watch over him from heaven.

“Oliver, don’t forget your brother, Julen,” his mother wrote on social media, “You know we’ve been waiting for him for many hours. I know you protect him a lot, my little King.”

Later, she posted another picture of a sleeping baby: “If it’s true that there’s a God up there,” she wrote, “help him please.

“Hold on Julen.”

Ninthlife wrote: »
    They deleted the original post? Ffs.. bet they left the post that threatened to kick someones head in though

And rightly so.

Mike9832 wrote: »
    He can pm me and i'll gladly meet up with him to do it

Sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

What the actual .. is wrong with some people . A two year old baby is somewhere on his own and his mother and fathers hearts breaking with terrible pain . And yet some people are so attention seeking they seek it on this thread .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    What the actual .. is wrong with some people . A two year old baby is somewhere on his own and his mother and fathers hearts breaking with terrible pain . And yet some people are so attention seeking they seek it on this thread .

Hard men flexing their muscles and puffing their chests on a thread about a likely dead baby. Morto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Sure

Man I think there are a couple of people who will meet up, it's not a joke.

All the way from Athy to Stradbally. Even in the local for the next Manchester United game.

And it makes me look like the one who was starting **** here!

Haha. Well played mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Any updates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Just a bunch of edgelord, hard chaws.

Pay them no heed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Any updates?

Not much

Been checking every few hours

They’re trying to determine whether they can safely widen the hole to let a rescuer go deeper

Haven't seen a timeline on it

Advertisement