Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy 2 falls down 110 metre well in Malaga

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Dunno about others , but I honestly cannot remember a single other incident of somebody falling down a well.

In 1987, 18 month old Jessica McClure fell down a well in east Texas and was rescued after 56 hours.

Jesus..

"Local newspapers reported that the family had suffered tragedy two years ago when Oliver, the older brother of Yulan, died suddenly of a heart attack aged just three years old."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

dilallio wrote: »
    In 1987, 18 month old Jessica McClure fell down a well in east Texas and was rescued after 56 hours.

I thought I could remember this happening alright but I wasn’t sure if it was real or just something I saw on a tv program. Now I remember it and that the footage of the rescue was on the Michael Jackson video. Wouldn’t it be brilliant if it happened again for this little boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

What a terrifying story. I can't see how the poor child could have survived, the distance he fell is about the height of the spire in Dublin I believe :( Those poor parents, some people have no luck whatsoever in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Evel Knievel

Thoughts & prayers for the unlucky child. Its so sad. Accidents and tragedies happen every second of the day. Thats life. It's tough.

So isn't after hours a place where humour and bad taste jokes/comments can be made. Where every comment doesn't have to be factually correct and serious?

I know all about the easily offended crowd trying to shut down any free speech that they dont agree with, and seeing it in action here is worrying to me, but I deal with it and move on without trying to shame them & make them out to be the most vile people on earth.

I too thought of poor Timmy O'Toole when I read the thread title, and now 'sending our love down a well' is stuck in my head..

Ps. I've got kids and Im not a monster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm a moron.

After reading most of your posts on this site, I'm happy to say I finally agree with you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

dilallio wrote:
    fell down a well in east Texas and was rescued after 56 hours.

Was there not a kid in Asia, 2 year old girl, a very slim man was lowered down head first, grabbed her and pulled her up.

I felt sick when I heard this, maybe I'm one of those "you don't understand unless you've have kids type" but the helplessness the parents must feel!

I've laughed at all sorts of things, in all sorts of situations, I'm ashamed of some of the incidents to be honest.

But I did laugh, I think laughing and being flippant about laughing or the situation are two different things.

We can do nothing about it, we will forget about it that's all true.

Some will pray for the child. Some will highlight that praying will do nothing for the child, just something for the person praying.

I've said a prayer for the child, maybe I did get something out of it.

But I'm overwhelmed about what's going on in that child's mind, that's the dominant emotion for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Poot little mite. It doesn't sound good. The bit about the screaming stopping is devastating.

There was a film made about a child of similar age that fell into a well a good few years ago now. She survived after being underground over 50 hours. The well wasn't as deep as the one his little boy fell into though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everybody%27s_Baby:_The_Rescue_of_Jessica_McClure

Based on the true story of Jessica McClure, the child who fell in an abandoned water well while playing in her aunt's backyard in Midland, Texas. She was stuck in the well 22 feet down and it took rescuers 58 hours to get her out. There was fear that if they shook the ground too much with machinery they could cause her to fall further down and die. Rescuers managed to successfully excavate alongside the well shaft and bring her to safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Thoughts & prayers for the unlucky child. Its so sad. Accidents and tragedies happen every second of the day. Thats life. It's tough.

So isn't after hours a place where humour and bad taste jokes/comments can be made. Where every comment doesn't have to be factually correct and serious?

I know all about the easily offended crowd trying to shut down any free speech that they dont agree with, and seeing it in action here is worrying to me, but I deal with it and move on without trying to shame them & make them out to be the most vile people on earth.

I too thought of poor Timmy O'Toole when I read the thread title, and now 'sending our love down a well' is stuck in my head..

Im glad others have the same view as myself

Whats sad is the threats of violence and the personal insults being thrown at anyone who expressed how THEY felt.. mods should really have a look

And i did reference the Simpsons initially by saying the song 'we are sending our love down the well' yes its part of a comedy cartoon, is it bad taste..no. its a very human statement as its the only thing anyone here can genuinely do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Here's an idea, don't come to After Hours to look for and discuss your favourite news headlines. Plenty of other outlets cater for that.

After Hours, Boards and the internet in general is not your personal social meetup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭malinheader

Agree AH is the place for freedom of speech, Bad humour jokes and I'm all for that. A bit of craic and a bit of fun.

But you have to draw the line somewhere in what is craic fun,banter or just plain stupid ignorance.

Anyone who thinks a comedy cartoon being posted in relation to this is normal and ok seriously need to wise up.

And people calling for mods to take a look at people who are be threatening ffs. Hope the Mods let it go so we can see who the assholes are.

It's a pity so many people have lost the ability to scroll past things that they find distasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Agree AH is the place for freedom of speech, Bad humour jokes and I'm all for that. A bit of craic and a bit of fun.

But you have to draw the line somewhere in what is craic fun,banter or just plain stupid ignorance.

Anyone who thinks a comedy cartoon being posted in relation to this is normal and ok seriously need to wise up.

And people calling for mods to take a look at people who are be threatening ffs. Hope the Mods let it go so we can see who the assholes are.

I said the mods should look at the posts.

Are you calling me an asshole?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

"Won't someone please think of the children" - Helen Lovejoy 1996

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Nope, this episode was the first thing that came to mind. Merely shows the influence the Simpsons has had on people my age.

No need to be mad, friend.

That's not an excuse to post it in a thread about the almost certain death of a child. The old "My friend" comeback is a nice little nudge I'll give you that it trolling 101. That said it just shows a lack of empathy ...My friend 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭pah

I'm in a line of work where I've seen some pretty horrific things. Black humour has kept me and my colleagues sane on many an occasion as a coping mechanism.

The gravity of any situation is however NEVER lost on any of us and a joke in poor taste which can alleviate the gloom of a certain incident is contained within it's own kind of bubble. For that reason we would NEVER repeat some of the stuff we have said outside of that group as the dynamic is not the same.

AH operates on a different level to the rest of boards at times, but you can't hide behind that to justify being a pr1ck about things. There is a big difference between using black humour as described above in a certain moment and posting it online as a permanent record IMHO.

Bad taste IMO but also understandable. It's the lack of recognition that it IS in bad taste that gets me. I just don't get how another person [having been given all the details and time to weigh it up] cannot understand how this reference can be in such poor taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Heartless fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

Can't be easy trying to perform a rescue when no communications can be got from the boy that gives any indication as to their condition or how best to carry out a rescue.

It's only natural to have and make your own associations, and it in no way means you cannot be equally sympathetic to the victims of this horrible situation.

Do ye not realise how insensitive and frankly sick posting something like that is? Baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

It's a pity so many people have lost the ability to scroll past things that they find distasteful.

For me, there's a line. Its a lot further out than most people's. I like comedians who push the boat.

That said, there are certain things I don't find funny. Anthony Jeselink did a skit on Eric Clapton's son (who died aged 4/5 by falling out of a window of a high rise building) and I thought it was disgustingly bad taste.

Same here - making fun of a two year kid falling down a well and most likely dying is not, in my opinion, good material for "craic" or a laughing matter.

Some people need to be pulled up...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I hope the company who bored the hole and decided not to bother covering it are brought the task in a serious way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Free speech is a 2 way street. I have a right to express disgust at what I consider to be an extremely insensitive post. No one is trying to shut down free speech.

I really feel for the family and the little boy, that story is horrific.

At this stage it is probably a recovery rather than a rescue but parents will be haunted by how he died alone and afraid. It doesn't bear thinking about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

BPKS wrote: »
    I hope the company who bored the hole and decided not to bother covering it are brought the task in a serious way.

Nothing will happen, it's Spain.

Remember this is a country where a train driver that was posting pictures and videos of himself speeding on facebook weeks before he murdered ~80 people by reckless speeding is walking free living on benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

I’m upset with the negligence of whoever left such a horrendous hazard unprotected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Some shower of smart cnuts in here..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

This really is appalling. Absolutely devastating for the family. Not the better of watching that report

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Any news of a rescue? Did he die?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Jesus that hole is tiny?? How did he even fit down it?

Poor family, losing one child is tragic enough but losing two small children in your lifetime is not something any couple should have to ever endure, really hope he makes it

At 73m (240ft) the camera encountered an earth blockage in the shaft

I don't see a positive outcome here, hoping I am wrong.

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    Jesus that hole is tiny?? How did he even fit down it?

Poor family, losing one child is tragic enough but losing two small children in your lifetime is not something any couple should have to ever endure, really hope he makes it

It's wide enough alright. A toddler wouldn't have a hope of supporting their own bodyweight by putting their arms out etc...

Advertisement