Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

We locked the country down in March and now where are we?

You tell us
    lockdowns will kill a lot more than the actual virus.

How many died because of the lockdown in comparison with the virus, must be at least 2,000?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

One the vulnerable and healthcare workers are vaccinated, the approach will definitely be to let it ride

You think once the elderly and vulnerable are vaccinated, they will remove quarantines ?
    My thinking is the restrictions are mainly so hospitals won't collapse, if the above is done then it's unlikely they will be overwhelmed - so in theory no real need for restrictions ...

Younger people don't see the virus as serious because from day 1 the government made it clear that it only really affects older people and people with underlying health issues.

The government is to blame regarding the attitude of some people towards the virus.

Can't blame our government, or any, as the virus was new and little was known about it, and even know there's so many unknowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You think once the elderly and vulnerable are vaccinated, they will remove quarantines ? My thinking is the restrictions are mainly so hospitals won't collapse, if the above is done then it's unlikely they will be overwhelmed - so in theory no real need for restrictions ...
    This is exactly what's going on. They don't care so long as the hospitals can handle it. We are heading to a situation where that won't be possible in maybe a months time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hurrache wrote:
    Can't blame our government, or any, as the virus was new and little was known about it, and even know there's so many unknowns.
    Well when you look at New Zealand and how well they've done under a great leader then you can look at your own government and blame them

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Younger people don't see the virus as serious because from day 1 the government made it clear that it only really affects older people and people with underlying health issues.

The government is to blame regarding the attitude of some people towards the virus.

Nah personal responsibility seems to have gone out the window for a lot of people. You see it all around you in society even well before the virus was on our doorsteps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

I miss those early beers

We all do. I think they may have got to the source of the leak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,720 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

GooglePlus wrote: »
    You're missing the point. We might have ordered, but the production lines won't handle such vast amounts of demand. Regardless of the order locked in, we won't get it all in one go.

I'm not, I'm saying its going to hit the poorer nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭screamer

I've seen some ridiculous posts from people that hold a myriad of differing opinion but congratulations your comment to-date is by far the most stupid I have read here.

We must be reading a different thread then, because there are far more stupid, bordering on conspiracy theory posts on this thread than that. Every day same old s****e out of them..... I think it’s not a bad idea, put your money where your mouth is, bet not a single one of them would chance it, but here people who follow guidelines and advise are berated daily...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭screamer

We all do. I think they may have got to the source of the leak.

Pubs open soon, be plenty of Extra beers going around in another while.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well when you look at New Zealand and how well they've done under a great leader then you can look at your own government and blame them

Shhh Don't mention NZ, people on here don't want hear that sort of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I think if there were a hypothetical referendum on "lockdown" or "let it rip/watch yourself if you're vulnerable/social distancing/hand washing by everyone", the latter would win. Regardless of threat to health service or deaths being front loaded.

That's what I think. Not making a moral judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Hurrache wrote: »

If it's an unknown you either say we don't know or don't say anything at all.
    Look how they handled the face masks at the start, basically lied because of a shortage of PPE and they didn't want people using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

AdamD wrote: »
    I'm not, I'm saying its going to hit the poorer nations.

The study, which was carried out by the driving force behind eventual manufacture, has said that only 2 billion doses can be distributed per year. That's two doses for 1 billion people, as the vaccine requires two vials of injection.

Even if you remove the poorest countries in the world, we are still going to be affected by this bottleneck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This is exactly what's going on. They don't care so long as the hospitals can handle it. We are heading to a situation where that won't be possible in maybe a months time.

This time last year we had 10,000 people on trolleys, now we have 200 people on trolleys with another 700,000 waiting to get in.
    The hospitals haven't coped in a long time, Covid or no Covid.

Again, nothing to do with the government, you know the reasons why, and the differences between Ireland and New Zealand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Shhh Don't mention NZ, people on here don't want hear that sort of stuff.

An island thousands of miles from its nearest neighbour with just one government. That sums up NZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Heard today that the increase in Cork numbers are related to a workplace cluster in Wilton and a nursing home on the northside of the city

spookwoman wrote: »

Ok everyone, see with all those things we don't know yet? Time to burn our masks, no bother with restrictions, and you can go back to having snotty fingers again. No point in doing anything until we have all the answers.
    See you on the other side.

spookwoman wrote: »
    Look how they handled the face masks at the start, basically lied because of a shortage of PPE and they didn't want people using them.
    You think they lied about face masks? I thought this wasn’t a conspiracy thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,789 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think most people can see how serious it can be for some, but the majority it does not impact significantly

It makes no sense to lock down 95% of the population who it does not seriously impact, to protect the other 5%.

Need to protect the vulnerable and crack on - lockdowns will kill a lot more than the actual virus.

We locked the country down in March and now where are we? Pretty much back where we were....

Lockdown doesnt kill, that utter rubbish, a disgustingly disingenuous argument. Back to reality...the virus sure can kill, make very ill, or if not have that personal impact on everyone it’s still spreading as a contagion with potential to kill and make large health casualties.

95% & 5% , any significant facts to back this up ? numbers I’m reading in the uk suggested that closer to 30% die.

Have to be vigilant and disciplined.

You think they lied about face masks? I thought this wasn’t a conspiracy thread

Are you sure it's not, there seems to be a lot of ignorance towards valid sources and studies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Just heard an ad there for Little Mix playing the 3 Arena 28th April...tickets going on sale this Friday. Surely that couldn’t go ahead? Maybe because i’ve already written off this year, April doesn’t seem so far away, so I don’t know what will be different by then.

They’re going on tour, so maybe they could play other European countries, and canceling Dublin wouldn’t be a huge deal, it if came to that. Would be great if we were in a position where things like this can go ahead.

Just to add, I wouldn’t exactly be a fan or anything (though they do have good tunes!), but it’s the first gig I’ve being announced that wasn’t a rescheduled thing, so just wondering how it could all work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

We have had long enough to set up facilities to do more tests rather than sending them to Germany surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Do you think they should have lied about who it affects?

The government went about this well, they said it is important to maintain caution in order to protect the vulnerable you may pass it on to. I don't see how else you could instill any sense of caution in younger people who will in all likelihood will not experience illness of any severity after contracting covid

Just heard an ad there for Little Mix playing the 3 Arena...tickets going on sale this Friday. Surely that couldn’t go ahead? Maybe because i’ve already written off this year, April doesn’t seem so far away, so I don’t know what will be different by then.

They’re going on tour, so maybe they could play other European countries, and canceling Dublin wouldn’t be a huge deal, it if came to that. Would be great if we were in a position where things like this can go ahead.

Just to add, I wouldn’t exactly be a fan or anything (though they do have good tunes!), but it’s the first gig I’ve being announced that wasn’t a rescheduled thing, so just wondering how it could all work out.

It's a great way to get cashflow and then push the concert down the road with rescheduled dates.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just heard an ad there for Little Mix playing the 3 Arena...tickets going on sale this Friday. Surely that couldn’t go ahead? Maybe because i’ve already written off this year, April doesn’t seem so far away, so I don’t know what will be different by then.
    What's the harm in living in hope that it does go on? April is half a year away and it could all look very different and hopefully will be.

It's not the only thing by the way - Dublin Comic Con has their Spring edition scheduled for mid-March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Strumms wrote: »
    Lockdown doesnt kill, that utter rubbish, a disgustingly disingenuous argument. Back to reality...the virus sure can kill, make very ill, or if not have that personal impact on everyone it’s still spreading as a contagion with potential to kill and make large health casualties.

95% & 5% , any significant facts to back this up ? numbers I’m reading in the uk suggested that closer to 30% die.

Have to be vigilant and disciplined.

30% of what die?

We have had long enough to set up facilities to do more tests rather than sending them to Germany surely.

We’ve had 3-4 months, 0 increase in capacity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,484 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Heard today that the increase in Cork numbers are related to a workplace cluster in Wilton and a nursing home on the northside of the city

Skibbereen also has a cluster but not sure how true that is

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement