Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shave Of The Day - Boards Edition

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Lovely shave this evening. Real BBS. Feel great.

Pre: Proraso red Pre shave balm
    Soap: Tcheon Fung Sing Linea Intenso Artisan Shaving Soap - Sotto Zero Forte
    Razor: Muhle R89
    Brush: SOC Boar
    Blade: Feather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Hi All, New to this forum and have only started DE Shaving recently. Today was my 3rd and most successful shave.

Fairly basic but extensive setup/routine

Pre shave cream: Proraso Green & KOS Green Oil
    Soap: Proraso Green
    Brush: Omega Boar Brush bought for 9 euro, It's beginning to really improve now on it's 10thish outing
    Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
    Blades: Wilkinson Sword Classic
    Post Shave: Brut Alaska & Nivea Sensitive Balm

Learned many things, like angle to shave at. Must really focus in order to shave slowly as I was used to flying through with cartridges.

Also my mustache and goatee areas are my problem areas, Must not cut against grain here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

Yeah I cannot shave against the grain at all no matter the razor, blade or prep done.

Just do one pass with the grain and thats good for me personally.

Todays Planned Shave

399864.jpg

Yeah I cannot shave against the grain at all no matter the razor, blade or prep done.

Just do one pass with the grain and thats good for me personally.

Yea did that today, After yesterdays super smooth shave just required a little trim. One pass with grain. Definitely acceptable for everyday shave.

400153.jpg

This mornings (Super smooth) shave. Doing the 30 day focus challenge so only variables on this are the Aftershave and the Balm

That Old Spice is interesting, where and what's it smell like? I assume a fresh artic smell?

That Old Spice is interesting, where and what's it smell like? I assume a fresh artic smell?

I really enjoy both the fresh fragrance and the lovely fresh feeling it produces on the skin. Lovely aftershave lotion for pretty reasonable price. Think the shower gel, aftershave lotion and deodorant can be bought in boots for €20

I got it in our local Joyce's supermarket for €4:50

Sorry I can't give you more detail on the fragrance but I'm just terrible @ describing and detecting smells as I'm a smoker.

Best I can do is it's a sweetish, perfumey, soapy, fresh smell that is very subtle and far from overpowering.

SOTD 28-Oct-2016

Same setup as previous post but with Brut Alaska and Nivea Anti Irritation. Added in Witch Hazel.

Good but not fantastic attempt today. As for picture "Trying" to get creative :D400276.jpg

No photo but went for a full face freeze this evening. Lovely in the winter.

Pre: Proraso Green preshave balm
    Brush: RazoRock Blondie Boar
    Razor: Muhle R89 Grande
    Blade: Vokshod
    Cream: Proraso Green

Lovely and fresh for a chilly evening.

• Advertisement

I don't particularly like the scent of the whitewater. Boots sell it if you are looking for it. I much prefer the Old Spice Original - it's my go to AS for everyday shaves. Although I did pick up a bottle of Tabac and it's fcuking gorgeous.

Orion wrote: »
    I don't particularly like the scent of the whitewater. Boots sell it if you are looking for it. I much prefer the Old Spice Original - it's my go to AS for everyday shaves. Although I did pick up a bottle of Tabac and it's fcuking gorgeous.

Is Tabac a talcum powder scent?

I'd call it a leather scent rather than talcum powder. Some floral notes that settle down quickly. Feels great on the skin and cools any razor burn well.

The missus loves it if that helps. It's cheap enough in Boots - a tenner for the 50ml bottle.

I'd call it a leather scent rather than talcum powder. Some floral notes that settle down quickly. Feels great on the skin and cools any razor burn well.

The missus loves it if that helps. It's cheap enough in Boots - a tenner for the 50ml bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

16/11/16, SOTD

krkA3YX.jpg?1

Clubman is a fav of mine too. I'd highly recommend you put it into a glass bottle that plastic will ruin the scent after a bit.

I had an old 400ml Floid bottle I pour mine into now as soon as I get a new bottle.

SOTF 23/11/16. Spicey, old school.
    8qnZXii.jpg?1

SOTD 16/12/16

jSVh8gQ.jpg?2

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

20161224_113256.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Lamentabli sane

Can anyone help me with getting a good razor in Dublin? And some of that shaving equipment (brush, creams etc) Still relatively young... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

What sort of razor are you after and what is your total budget for everything?

SOTD 07/03/17
    New to the Den. Stirling "Baker Street" Great soap, I highly recommend it.
    vNUm3ka.jpg?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭nc6000

SOTD 07/03/17
    New to the Den. Stirling "Baker Street" Great soap, I highly recommend it.
    vNUm3ka.jpg?1

What did you use the gas for? :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Where was the stirling soap sourced actually? I've never used soap of any description, what would people recommend?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Where was the stirling soap sourced actually? I've never used soap of any description, what would people recommend?

You can get soaps locally from shaving.ie
    http://www.shaving.ie/shaving-soap/
    recommend this one,
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/razorock-xxx-shaving-soap.html

I got the Stirling Soap from Maggards razors, a US online store. Cost 20 euro including shipping and took 9 days to get here.

https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/stirling-soap-co-baker-street-shaving-soap-5-8oz/

They're sold out of "Baker Street" but they have "Executive man" which is nice and smells like Creed aventus.
    https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/stirling-soap-co-executive-man-shaving-soap-5-8oz/

Remember with shaving soap you will also need a brush. If you order from Maggards I'd recommend one of their own synthetic brands. They're good value and really easy to use.

https://www.maggardrazors.com/product-category/shaving-brushes/maggard-shaving-brushes/

• Advertisement

Thanks, I've got a brush and 2 shaving creams, but I'd like to try a soap out to see the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Interesting, I always found Strop Shoppe's scents too light. I'd imagine Sterling's version would be a lot stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

adrian522 wrote: »
    Thanks, I've got a brush and 2 shaving creams, but I'd like to try a soap out to see the difference.

You could start out with Proraso soap. It's good value and good quality.

Interesting, I always found Strop Shoppe's scents too light. I'd imagine Sterling's version would be a lot stronger.

Never had the Strop Shoppe version but, the scent strength on the Sterling is very good. The slickness with Sterling soaps is unbeatable. With all the soap wiped off, I could still run a razor across my face for touch ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Bump!

It's been a while since I've posted in here, so I'll show off something fancy to make up for it.

Joseph Rodgers & Sons

P7091090_zpsvosfbu8m.jpg

P7091096_zpsgdbbgycu.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭macrob77

This razor is amazing. Carved mother of pearl. Fancy indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

First post in this forum, please be kind

For years and years I bought Tesco own brand cream and either got ripped off by Gillette or used disposables. Lidl and Tesco disposables are ok, Bic were the work of the devil! How those yellow bics became a world famous brand I'll never know

I knew nothing about other ways to shave and tbh I still don't know much. I bought proraso green preshave and green soap last month and liked them.

Now I've bought my first DE razor and I'm trying the red and white proraso. I liked the green proraso over this red. I bought a selection of blades from different manufacturers in a goody bag, I'll just try them all.

I'm not a big fan of the aftershave. It does the job, little fragrance and I guess it's a good product but I'm going to go back to Nivea sensitive balm which I liked a lot!

The reason for Proraso everything even the brush is it's the only brand I know and it gets the best reviews on amazon. The razor is Nobelisk. Just picked it on reviews realy and I like it but never used any others to compare
    457364.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Azatadine

The brush will improve with use (and the smell will dissipate too).

I prefer the Proraso Sandalwood (red) splash over the green. I always found the green a bit too....strong.....

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭macrob77

Shave Of The Yesterday

2PXhfY7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

That one is exceptional.

My current setup is working very well for me.

Pre-Shave - Nivea for Men Facewash - There are a few different ones, he one I'm using has witch hazel in it, soap free.
    Soap - Tabac Shaving Soap, bought off amazon. Really easy to lather (in contrast I found MWF to take quite awhile to lather up) and gives a really nice thick foam
    Razor - Merkur 34c - Old reliable
    Blade - Personna Lab Blue
    Post Shave - Nivea for men cooling shave balm, again there are a few different ones of these but this one works very well.
    Splash of Tabac After shave lotion to finish.

This is the best setup I've had so far.

What I found with MWF, was that using it everyday makes it easier to get a nice lather. The soap starts to absorb some water when using it everyday and then for me it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

6 months ago I never knew alum existed

I'm one of those people who can bleed for a looooooooong time and no matter a shaving cut or a paper cut or a football tackle with studs I stay bleeding

My alum block which cost under 5 euro sorts my shaving cuts and tbh it will probably last me over a year.

I add my recommendation for Nivea Sensitive post shave balm. I love this product and is better than other post shave products I've used.

I have swopped out the Proraso shaving soap and now use Arko soap. It is a Turkish brand and I like it a lot

493835.jpg

Alum is something that every guy should be told about when learning to shave. It's so cheap and effective.

The Arko soap is a great performer but the scent is very devisive. It reminds me of urinal cakes so unfortunately it's not something I keep around for the few shaves I do have these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Agree. Alum an absolute must. But Arco is very Marmite. Divides opinions. Not for me I'm afraid. I use La Toja shave stick. Very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Wade and Butcher

7/8

Took me a few attempts to get this one shaving right. No clue why, as it would always pass hanging hair test but the shave would just be ok in the end, so I would just pack it away and say I would try hone it again another time.

In the meantime I switched to using kapton tape, instead of electrical tape and also changed up my honing technique.

I had some success with some other problematic razors that always gave me trouble so decided it was time to give this one another hone.

Finally I was able to get a nice edge on it, so something seems to have worked between the two changes.

Advertisement