Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I'll entertain you. This is where a friend of a friend of your brother in law heard this.
    The legal term is 'hearsay' and it has no bearings on fact.

If you want facts there are plenty of facts to read on this thread about the crazy advantages Dublin has over every county in Ireland

This is before we discuss the financial doping scandal.

Go back and have a read, see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,126 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Flat out don’t believe fans on all Ireland night in Mulligans would be saying that. I think you’re lying tbh.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Flat out don’t believe fans on all Ireland night in Mulligans would be saying that. I think you’re lying tbh.

You can think what you like about me personally loyd

Address the substantive points please.

No more deflecting.

You can think what you like about me personally loyd

Address the substantive points please.

No more deflecting.

There are no substantive points to address or deflect from. The game is the same as ever, Dublin are just the best to ever do it. Their reign will end eventually, just like Kerry'd did. It's not complicated.

It is you trying to deflect from reality in this thread - trying and failing to detract from our unprecedented greatness. It's not going to work, I can tell you that right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

When the poster boy for the "facts" of Dublin's "cheating" turns out to be someone with a way beyond healthy personal obsession with Jimmy Gavin and some of the Dublin players, it is surely time for his echo chamber to reflect …..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭doc_17

Plenty of dubs fans have admitted the last 5-10 years have been a farce and embarrassed/almost embarrassed to celebrate due to the inherent huge advantages that Dublin has over all other counties.

Empty wins and empty championships. Yesterday just the latest example.

Then to add fuel to the fire, the crazy financial doping. The whole thing is a farce and you better believe it, from Jim G down the dubs know that well.

You keep saying that on here. It’s your personal slant of bitterness. The Dub fans I know are loving this period. The power and the glory of achieving our rightful place on top and about to plant a flag of dominance that may never be touched. We waited the long hard years, long may this last.

“Your rightful place”...why do you say that? I think it can mean from the same sense of entitlement that surrounds, encompasses and dominates Dublin GAA. But maybe you have a better answer?

blanch152 wrote: »
    Plenty of dubs fans have admitted the last 5-10 years have been a farce and embarrassed/almost embarrassed to celebrate due to the inherent huge advantages that Dublin has over all other counties.

Empty wins and empty championships. Yesterday just the latest example.

Then to add fuel to the fire, the crazy financial doping. The whole thing is a farce and you better believe it, from Jim G down the dubs know that well.

I have been sitting in the middle of the Cusack Stand for most of the last decade as a Dublin season ticket holder. I have never heard a single Dublin fan say that it has been a farce and an embarrassment. From opposition fans, I have never heard anything but compliments about the quality of the Dublin team and the way they play the game.

The whingers and complainers seem to be confined to keyboards or live in Brazil.

Whilst sitting in the middle of the Cusack Stand? Didn’t that tell you a lot of what you needed to know? How did you enjoy those 3-4 hour trips home after? And sitting along with the other season ticket holders from Dublin? My, a tough crowd.

There are no substantive points to address or deflect from. The game is the same as ever, Dublin are just the best to ever do it. Their reign will end eventually, just like Kerry'd did. It's not complicated.

It is you trying to deflect from reality in this thread - trying and failing to detract from our unprecedented greatness. It's not going to work, I can tell you that right now.

you should go and have a read through this thread.

Also, have a read of ewan mckennas columns on Dublin and the GAA recently.

Indeed t was he who came up with the very very apt term of
    Financial doping.

Who knows, you might actually learn something on this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

To be honest, if some Mayo fan was deeply upset and pestering me about Dublin advantages on All-Ireland night, I might give him some comfort on the issue, firstly to get him to stop whining and crying about sour grapes, and secondly, so that he might go away. If that meant it was the end of it interfering with celebrating the GOAT, then so be it. Words in a pub mean nothing.

doc_17 wrote: »
    Whilst sitting in the middle of the Cusack Stand? Didn’t that tell you a lot of what you needed to know? How did you enjoy those 3-4 hour trips home after? And sitting along with the other season ticket holders from Dublin? My, a tough crowd.

I think you are showing your ignorance of how the season ticket thing works. There is plenty of mixing of supporters from different counties, all sit in the middle of the Cusack Stand when in Croke Park, and are definitely genuine fans, something that anyone can claim to be on an internet board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

After McKenna's vicious rant last night he'll be lucky to get another piece into print.
    He's not a journalist, just a Kildare fan with a grudge.

After McKenna's vicious rant last night he'll be lucky to get another piece into print.

What vicious rant was this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Not at all, angry up himself barstooler is his thing.

It'll only increase his profile

Not at all

Mulligans pub the night of last all Ireland win

The Talk among the die hards was of how unfair and one sided the competition has become among dubs fans.

The win meant f all to them due to the unfair advantages Dublin enjoys. Same with any number of wins the last while.

Where’s the joy in seeing Real Madrid beat seven shades out of shamrock rovers to use an analogy for example?

Only ppl either:

1 Completely ignorant of (hill 16 fine weather fans with plenty of drink and other stuff in them) or

Deflecting for their own reasons

Deny how meaningless the championship has become due to the Huge advantages Dublin have been gifted over and above every other competitor.

To the deflectors/ “nothing to see here” crowd I say, enjoy while it lasts. Enjoy the empty wins.

ppl are wise to you all, you’ve fooled NOBODY, and a sense of fairness is coming down the tracks all going well.

Isn't it a bit strange that the Hill 16 fans at 3.00 in the afternoon after maybe two or three pints don't fall for your bitterness, but that the Dubs in Mulligans celebrating on All-Ireland night with ten pints in them do agree with you?

There was a mod warning on the Dublin thread not to link to it.

Isn't it a bit strange that the Hill 16 fans at 3.00 in the afternoon after maybe two or three pints don't fall for your bitterness, but that the Dubs in Mulligans celebrating on All-Ireland night with ten pints in them do agree with you?

Yep keep deflecting away lads

Sure it’s only one guys bitterness

There’s no wider issues at all at all

I think you are showing your ignorance of how the season ticket thing works. There is plenty of mixing of supporters from different counties, all sit in the middle of the Cusack Stand when in Croke Park, and are definitely genuine fans, something that anyone can claim to be on an internet board.

Well, the season tickets must be different for Dublin. I’m a Donegal season ticket holder and I’m always sitting beside Donegal supporters. Always.

“Your rightful place”...why do you say that? I think it can mean from the same sense of entitlement that surrounds, encompasses and dominates Dublin GAA. But maybe you have a better answer?

How could you dominate the sport for a half decade and become the best team of all time if you didn't really believe deep down that it was your destiny to do so?

Financial doping.

I have read the thread, the arguments the likes of McKenna put forth have been rejected time and time again. The bottom line remains that eventually Dublin will lose and your sense of normalcy will return.

Also don't forget that Dublin may yet lose this season. Very few saw Offaly doing Kerry in 82. Dublin still have to win these matches.

EAADxU0WsAE-Dfc?format=jpg&name=large

Anything he writes clearly shouldn't be taken seriously in light of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

To be fair McKenna went a bit over the top in his criticism, but for Gavin to say "we worked really hard for that" is a bit disingenuous

• Advertisement

To be fair McKenna went a bit over the top in his criticism, but for Gavin to say "we worked really hard for that" is a bit disingenuous

A "bit" over the top? He used words like "disgusting", "odious" and "nasty" and claimed he was "ruining the sport". All in response to a very normal forgettable interview. It's foaming at the mouth territory and - needless to say - invalidates any other criticisms he may pen on Dublin football. When you're that biased you shouldn't be tasked with producing journalism on the subject, but it's all clickbait these days I suppose

How could you dominate the sport for a half decade and become the best team of all time if you didn't really believe deep down that it was your destiny to do so?

But at the same time Dublin are one of the wealthiest counties, with by far the most natural advantages, and yet they have received by far the most support from HQ to enhance their game. Far more than any other county in the country. Sure it's a special team but in the background there has been a lot of work done to create that team, a lot of which has been organised and funded by the central organisation.

I would love to know how Leitrim, Sligo, Longford or Waterford would be doing now if Croke Park decided they were going to develop those counties 15 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Yes they have worked hard for it, in training in the run up etc. Exactly as Gavin said

That first half was brilliant

A "bit" over the top? He used words like "disgusting", "odious" and "nasty" and claimed he was "ruining the sport". All in response to a very normal forgettable interview. It's foaming at the mouth territory and - needless to say - invalidates any other criticisms he may pen on Dublin football. When you're that biased you shouldn't be tasked with producing journalism on the subject, but it's all clickbait these days I suppose

Ok grand, he was out of order, looking for headlines etc etc - but Gavin was also being disingenuous by saying they worked hard for the win. A bit patronising to the Roscommon players and fans when they barely broke a sweat

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Nobody after a win says it was a walk in the park. It’s disrespectful of the opposition. If he had said as such there would be screaming about it. Also there surely is no suggestion that they don’t work hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I have read the thread, the arguments the likes of McKenna put forth have been rejected time and time again. The bottom line remains that eventually Dublin will lose and your sense of normalcy will return.

Also don't forget that Dublin may yet lose this season. Very few saw Offaly doing Kerry in 82. Dublin still have to win these matches.
    So when Dublin eventually lose you Dubs will conclude it's a level playing field and you haven't got ridiculous unfair advantages?

It's like saying Dublin hurlers are not better for the massive investment after Laois beat them. They are and Laois would have beat them for more if not for Dublins unfair treatment.

When Dublin lose whether it's this year or in 5 years it will only make them stronger. They'll come back the next year and do another 5 in a row.

On Gavin the problem is the level of waffle he goes to. Never before have I seen somebody compliment the opposition so much after hammering them by 13-24 points. It's extremely patronising and he's fooling nobody except probably his players who are like hypnotised robots singing off the same hyme sheet.

He's possibly my least favourite character in the GAA. Sums up all that is wrong in this ultra professional PR perfect Dublin era.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

RoyalCelt wrote: »

On Gavin the problem is the level of waffle he goes to. Never before have I seen somebody compliment the opposition so much after hammering them by 13-24 points. It's extremely patronising and he's fooling nobody except probably his players who are like hypnotised robots singing off the same hyme sheet.

This is utter nonsense, nobody hammers another team and then says in the post match interview that they were a.poor opposition or that it was a walk in the park. It’s not patronizing it’s what all sports people do after good wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

he is a total disgrace of a journalist , if he printed some of the stuff about munster rugby or dublin football on here he would be ran ,

he has zero clue what he is talking about ,both codey and gavin are briefed on what to say for years and this idiot knew it but taught he is better then the world to print his ****e , he is an idiot of a man full stop :mad:

Financial doping.

So...are Kerry currently in their rightful place as the greatest team ever since they have won the most All Irelands? Who is in that perch?

Dublin are certainly the team that gets the most handed to them but outside of that.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

EAADxU0WsAE-Dfc?format=jpg&name=large

Anything he writes clearly shouldn't be taken seriously in light of the above.

Then surely by the same token, anything Gavin says shouldnt be taken seriously either?
    Or, they are two pieces where both mckenna and gavin havent covered themselves in glory, but that doesnt mean that every other word they utter cant be taken seriously...

Re mckenna, he seems to have lost the rag a bit there. Id be curious as to what exchange was going on before that, but then again, seeing as it is twitter, I probably wouldnt be either.
    Re gavin, saying they worked really hard there in the context of the game makes him sound like a bit of a gobsh*te. People are trying to make excuses for him but the reality is it wouldnt have hurt to simply say something like 'roscommon didnt get going today but I give them credit for what they achieved this year. They had 2 away games when nobody else did so maybe they can feel a bit hard done by. We performed well and we are happy to progress...'
    Im not sure if he is trying to be awkward with the press or what his goal is with his interview responses, but there are times when it comes across badly and that was a good example of one.

I dont think either instance justifies disregarding every word they have stated though...

Advertisement