Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Steven81

What I understand is that they are looking to put the division 1 and 2 teams in separately. How this makes any difference I don’t know as Dublin who have beat every team in Leinster by 10+ points will have Meath,Kildare,Laois and Westmeath. How is that going to be any different. They beat the Connaught champions by a cricket score and only playing with them. Getting a bit of a joke and even the dubs won’t go to all their games. How could you pay 30-40 euro to see a one sided game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭threeball

Steven81 wrote: »
    What I understand is that they are looking to put the division 1 and 2 teams in separately. How this makes any difference I don’t know as Dublin who have beat every team in Leinster by 10+ points will have Meath,Kildare,Laois and Westmeath. How is that going to be any different. They beat the Connaught champions by a cricket score and only playing with them. Getting a bit of a joke and even the dubs won’t go to all their games. How could you pay 30-40 euro to see a one sided game.

It's over for the GAA. They pumped millions into Dublin hoping to make big returns and it's blown up in their face. From next year they'll be heavily dependent on hurling for revenue. I'm delighted for them. A bigger shower of wasters you could not find. Typical political types who manoeuvred themselves into positions only to make a bollox of everything. Thank you Paraic Duffy et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

TBH overall IMO the All Ireland quarter final group phase has been a failure.

I hope they revert back to the once off quarter finals on the August bank holiday weekend.Loved those weekends.Manys a time I had the pleasure of heading up to Croker on both days.You simply can't beat a once off do or die championship game.

There is simply supporter fatigue with the inevitable question re the affordability of attending those extra matches,travel distances as indicated by match attendances.

The inevitability of dead rubbers in the third set of matches due to the lack of evenly matched teams.

The only positive I've truly noted is the staging of matches at regional venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Roscommon have some really good players and for sure these lads are putting in a huge effort year in year out but the gulf in conditioning was really evident last night.
    The advantages that the Dubs have was plain to see, they really are full time professional athletes at this stage playing against counties trying to be professional.
    It reminded me a little of when the Aussies first started coming to Ireland to play the Compromise rules series in the 80's. The Aussies were full timers and the Irish lads were working men part time footballers and the Aussies looked like Supermen in comparison.

seligehgit wrote: »
    TBH overall IMO the All Ireland quarter final group phase has been a failure.

I hope they revert back to the once off quarter finals on the August bank holiday weekend.Loved those weekends.Manys a time I had the pleasure of heading up to Croker on both days.You simply can't beat a once off do or die championship game.

There is simply supporter fatigue with the inevitable question re the affordability of attending those extra matches,travel distances as indicated by match attendances.

The inevitability of dead rubbers in the third set of matches due to the lack of evenly matched teams.

The only positive I've truly noted is the staging of matches at regional venues.

I think the fatigue is mainly due to the inevitable outcome of the competition. People don't really believe their team have a chance to win it out so they're not showing up. You don't invest in foregone conclusions especially when you're on the wrong side of them.

I have been a lifelong gaelic football player and fan. I would never miss a game if at all possible. I didn't even turn on the tv for yesterday's games. I'll watch today as there's an uncertainty about the outcome of both games. Instead I went in to the back yard and played hurling with my kids. I think alot of people are doing the same. Football holds no draw anymore as the "what if" element is gone. There's a reason people don't pay to go back to the cinema to watch a movie 5 times no matter how much they like it. They already know how it ends.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

All any supporter wants is a fair chance for their Team . Take that away and its not competitive Sport . Hence , Supporters Not Showing Up .

They will obviously go to watch other competitive Sport . Sport is about Competition .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Fann Linn wrote: »
    You'll get over it.

The funny thing is, the Dubs don't even seem to be self aware of the whole farce that is the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The funny thing is, the Dubs don't even seem to be self aware of the whole farce that is the championship

And you seem totally self unaware that you are in a longline of people who hate excellence.

One of worst days I spent in Croke Park was in lower Cusack at 2009 hurling final listening to some lunatic from a county that was involved in neither of the two games work himself into a paroxysm of rage about how Kilkenny were the "Tyrone of football" and had ruined it for ever.

You, my chum. are his cousin.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    And you seem totally self unaware that you are in a longline of people who hate excellence.

One of worst days I spent in Croke Park was in lower Cusack at 2009 hurling final listening to some lunatic from a county that was involved in neither of the two games work himself into a paroxysm of rage about how Kilkenny were the "Tyrone of football" and had ruined it for ever.

You, my chum. are his cousin.

Thanks for the personal insult.
    Once again, unwilling to confront the actual issue

Can you come up with 2 points (I'll make it easy) that show the championship isn't completely skewed in Dublins favour?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,306 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Folks - The dubs supporters on this thread know full well that the “achievements” of their team over the last few years are in no way comparable to the likes of the great Kerry teams of the 70s and 80s.

Their “great leader” Jim G has admitted that Dublin have hugely unfair advantages, behind closed doors to his peers.

It kills them to accept that so it’s taboo to admit openly

But they know well there’s a huge asterisk beside Dublin’s so called “success”.

• Advertisement

You'll get over it.

They're well aware but just like the soccer teams most of them love they only care about winning not how it was won. Man city and Chelsea fans didn't give a toss that they won their titles by pumping huge sums of money into their squads. They don't have an regard for their fellow clubs and would quite happily watch them flounder as long as they were winning. That's not how the GAA generally works and most people are in it for the good of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,848 ✭✭✭doc_17

Another change that needs to be made....The minutes silence should he respected as such. Last night it was disrespected again and as such only lasted as 10-15 seconds of applause. See, that’s what the do in the premier league lads, they clap. Because it was introduced to prevent the boo boy’s from causing trouble.

I’d like to think in the GAA we are better than that. And in the vast majority of our grounds, we certainly are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You “fix” it the same way you “fix” the men’s. A county produces a coaching staff, a team and a conveyor belt of youth that have strength and belief and they resolve to meet the challenge laid down infront of them.

The difference between Dublin and every other county is that Dublin are funded like a province, which makes sense from a population perspective, but the are also structured like a province. Their GDOs are assigned to clubs where every other county has a GDO to cover a geographical area.

As an example, Dublin won the u20 Leinster this week and of the lads playing (including the subs that came on) there were 12 clubs represented. Every one of these 12 clubs has a professional full time GDO whose only job is to develop and nurture talent in that club including providing guidance and opinion to coaches managing teams at all levels in the clubs. Nowhere outside Dublin has this luxury. Its fair to say that Ciaran Archer has received many more hours of professional coaching compared to a guy from Courtwood or Rosenallis in Laois.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

The Dublin Farce is ; As if John Delaney was running the GAA . Is he an advisor to the GAA ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,154 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Folks - The dubs supporters on this thread know full well that the “achievements” of their team over the last few years are in no way comparable to the likes of the great Kerry teams of the 70s and 80s.

Their “great leader” Jim G has admitted that Dublin have hugely unfair advantages, behind closed doors to his peers.

It kills them to accept that so it’s taboo to admit openly

But they know well there’s a huge asterisk beside Dublin’s so called “success”.

This team is just better than Kerry in the 80’s that’s all. A remarkable group led by the greatest coaching staff of all time. This is dominance hard won, hard earned. Constant improvement and deep desire and hunger.

Your post is indicative of the fact that they are about to break the spirit of the rest of Ireland when it comes to football. I would hope we break you forever. Total victory is always the objective.

However, with 5 in a row in the bag, this group will lose their desire and tail off and other teams will come to the fore. Just like after that Kerry team were finally caught on a wet dirty day. But they will rightly have savoured those years. And Dub fans are savouring this period, you better believe it.

blinding wrote: »
    The Dublin Farce is ; As if John Delaney was running the GAA . Is he an advisor to the GAA ?

JD would be considered too level headed and conservative for the current utterly FARCICAL situation in Gaelic football.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    This team is just better than Kerry in the 80’s that’s all. A remarkable group led by the greatest coaching staff of all time. This is dominance hard won, hard earned. Constant improvement and deep desire and hunger.

Your post is indicative of the fact that they are about to break the spirit of the rest of Ireland when it comes to football. I would hope we break you forever. Total victory is always the objective.

However, with 5 in a row in the bag, this group will lose their desire and tail off and other teams will come to the fore. Just like after that Kerry team were finally caught on a wet dirty day. But they will rightly have savoured those years. And Dub fans are savouring this period, you better believe it.

Plenty of dubs fans have admitted the last 5-10 years have been a farce and embarrassed/almost embarrassed to celebrate due to the inherent huge advantages that Dublin has over all other counties.

Empty wins and empty championships. Yesterday just the latest example.

Then to add fuel to the fire, the crazy financial doping. The whole thing is a farce and you better believe it, from Jim G down the dubs know that well.

At least John Delaney would be able to acknowledge that there an issue

John Horan has been laughable the last few times he has opened his mouth in public

• Registered Users Posts: 36,154 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Plenty of dubs fans have admitted the last 5-10 years have been a farce and embarrassed/almost embarrassed to celebrate due to the inherent huge advantages that Dublin has over all other counties.

Then to add fuel to the fire, the crazy financial doping. The whole thing is a farce and you better believe it, from Jim G down the dubs know that well.

You keep saying that on here. It’s your personal slant of bitterness. The Dub fans I know are loving this period. The power and the glory of achieving our rightful place on top and about to plant a flag of dominance that may never be touched. We waited the long hard years, long may this last.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I have been sitting in the middle of the Cusack Stand for most of the last decade as a Dublin season ticket holder. I have never heard a single Dublin fan say that it has been a farce and an embarrassment. From opposition fans, I have never heard anything but compliments about the quality of the Dublin team and the way they play the game.

The whingers and complainers seem to be confined to keyboards or live in Brazil.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    I have been sitting in the middle of the Cusack Stand for most of the last decade as a Dublin season ticket holder. I have never heard a single Dublin fan say that it has been a farce and an embarrassment. From opposition fans, I have never heard anything but compliments about the quality of the Dublin team and the way they play the game.

The whingers and complainers seem to be confined to keyboards or live in Brazil.

Not at all

Mulligans pub the night of last all Ireland win

The Talk among the die hards was of how unfair and one sided the competition has become among dubs fans.

The win meant f all to them due to the unfair advantages Dublin enjoys. Same with any number of wins the last while.

Where’s the joy in seeing Real Madrid beat seven shades out of shamrock rovers to use an analogy for example?

Only ppl either:

1 Completely ignorant of (hill 16 fine weather fans with plenty of drink and other stuff in them) or

Deflecting for their own reasons

Deny how meaningless the championship has become due to the Huge advantages Dublin have been gifted over and above every other competitor.

To the deflectors/ “nothing to see here” crowd I say, enjoy while it lasts. Enjoy the empty wins.

ppl are wise to you all, you’ve fooled NOBODY, and a sense of fairness is coming down the tracks all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Not at all

Mulligans pub the night of last all Ireland win

Talk was of how unfair and one sided the competition has become among dubs fans. The die hards

Only ppl either

Completely ignorant of or
    Deflecting for their own reasons

Deny how meaningless the championship has become due to the Huge advantages Dublin have been gifted over and above every other competitor.

Unbelievable that an adult would rely so heavily on what drunks in a Dublin pub would say.
    Especially to a culchie.
    D'ye want to buy a share in the ' Halpenny Bridge'?

Unbelievable that an adult would rely so heavily on what drunks in a Dublin pub would say.
    Especially to a culchie.
    D'ye want to buy a share in the ' Halpenny Bridge'?

Go ahead and keep the attempted insults flying

Proves my point entirely.

Keep the deflection goin lads.

Go ahead and keep the attempted insults flying

Proves my point entirely.

Keep the deflection goin lads.

apart from the drunks in the pub everything else is tongue in cheek.

apart from the drunks in the pub everything else is tongue in cheek.

Keep the deflection and deny all going lads.

Proves our points.

Keep it up

Keep the deflection and deny all going lads.

Proves our points.

Keep it up

Only frustration yesterday in the Cusack stand from Dubs was that they went to sleep for 15 minutes in the second half and let Roscommon back in.
    What lads say in Mulligans doesn't reallt interest me.

Only frustration yesterday in the Cusack stand from Dubs was that they went to sleep for 15 minutes in the second half and let Roscommon back in.
    What lads say in Mulligans doesn't reallt interest me.

Would it interest you if even a completely sober and with it Jim g said it?

doc_17 wrote: »
    Another change that needs to be made....The minutes silence should he respected as such. Last night it was disrespected again and as such only lasted as 10-15 seconds of applause. See, that’s what the do in the premier league lads, they clap. Because it was introduced to prevent the boo boy’s from causing trouble.

I’d like to think in the GAA we are better than that. And in the vast majority of our grounds, we certainly are.

Fully agree.

There is a tendency from a certain quarter of supporters to ape every aspect of the likes of west ham/Chelsea fan carry on. Ppl should have more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭kksaints

Yeah I've never heard Dubs try and diminish their victories and why would they? I've heard people from outside Dublin complaining about funding and saying they aren't watching the matches but never anyone from Dublin.

Away from the Dubs, one change I would like to see is the removal of New York from the Connaght Football Championship for two reasons. One, if they ever do beat whoever goes over there it makes a complete mess of the Championship as their next opponents will have to go over there as too many of the New York players would have "issues" getting back into the USA if they had to play in Ireland. The second reason is the fundraising advantage it gives the Connaght teams over the rest of the provinces. Mayo raised large amounts over there this year and while they would raise more than the other counties in the province, it still give them an opportunity denied to counties in Leinster, Munster and Ulster.

• Advertisement

Would it interest you if even a completely sober and with it Jim g said it?

I'll entertain you. This is where a friend of a friend of your brother in law heard this.
    The legal term is 'hearsay' and it has no bearings on fact.

Advertisement