Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Options
1100101102103104106»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Larry McCarthy is a strange man. I thought we couldn't top his "and now we move on to the liars" All Ireland hurling speech but his final speech about paedophiles and sectarian cold cases was a real blast.

A positive change for the GAA this weekend I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I think the reasoning was that extra time is a separate game. The first game was drawn, the "replay" follows immediately but is actually a separate game

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Martin Breheny on again about 5 points for a goal he's been writing this article for as long as I've been reading the paper (25 years).Utterly stupid suggestion as if a goal is worth 5 points it devalues scoring a point and therefore ends up making the game completely tedious as teams have to go searching for goals in the main.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Why would it devalue scoring points. Goals arent that common and this would entice more teams to try score goals which should be better for the game overall

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Of course it would devalue scoring points. A value of 5 for a goal is ridiculous and really jumps the line of the risk/reward of going for a goal when it’s worth 3.

They’ve sussed it out in basketball that the value of a 3 pointer and the % chance of making one makes it worthwhile to just shoot, shoot and shoot. The value of the 2 pointer is gone now essentially unless it’s a dunk or easy layup.

In Gaelic football a 5 point goal would do the same. Going for a 1 point shot would pretty much always be crazy. Also, if you’re chasing a game and you’re fouled - the time it’ll take to get a single point back with your free wouldn’t be worth it anymore.

Post edited by callaway92 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah it would kill the "point" in Gaelic Football.

What about 2 points for a long range point (from whatever defined distance) from play in football?

I was just thinking of how well the 3 pointer worked in basketball. You would get more long range attempts then. It gives a bit of incentive for the long range point but not too much. Gives the players/team a decision to make.

And there will be at least be one player on each side that will become the "go to man" for it. Could really make matches interesting when there are 3/4 points in it with not long left.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I often wonder would a 2 point shot have the same effect the 3 pointer had in basketball.You would think it would encourage teams to go for more long range points which would cause defenses to push out and therefore open up space closer to goal.

Yeah, and it seems like the correct amount to give for those type of points from play. three of them would be the same as two goals which seems about right to me.

And as far as I see it people seem to want to see more long range shooting in football (judging by comments online) and people's reaction to them being scored at games.

Plus you would think it would be fairly easy to ref just have a clear two point marking on the ground at the defined area (s) on both side of the pitch. Maybe dye in the grass or something as well as a line?

Amazed it has not been tried the more I think as you think it would be a fairly obvious thing to do.

It would not change the game radically slowing it (like the advanced mark has - which backfired) 2 points for a long range point seems like just enough of tweak to make teams less constantly defensive. The team without the ball should be forced to engage more.

It wouldnt devalue scoring points though we may see more goal attempts but that isnt a bad thing. How many goal attempts are even successful now. It wont change too much if they tried this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

5 points for a goal is as dumb an idea as there is on this. So dumb it will probably be adopted.

2 points from outside 45 would be much better.

Plus a ban on all points scored with the handpass, or palmed goals set up with a crossed handpass.

A simple highly beneficial change would be to make technical fouls an indirect free kick.

• Advertisement

It will devalue points.

You value something relative to something else, if 1 goal means you have to score 5 individual points to cancel the goal out then it means points are worth less than they were before as you have to get more of them to cancel out the goal.

In Aussie Rules behinds aren't considered much of a big deal because they are worth 1/6 of a goal, same would happen to football if a point suddenly became worth of 1/5 of a goal.

I am filled with hope that Jim Gavin will get rid of that "Advanced Mark" with Jarlath Burns on the football review committee.

Because back in April 2021 Gavin said of the Advanced Mark:

"I think that was the wrong step"

He went further worried that if more Aussie Rule type changes were made Gaelic Football basically would be Aussie Rules in all but name.

"We’re only one rule away from the game becoming Australian Rules on a rectangular pitch.

"If we introduce tackling, as in a rugby tackle, what difference is there from Aussie Rules? You can call a mark from a kick-out, call a mark both offensively and defensively once it’s kicked into the scoring zone. You introduce an Aussie rules tackle, what's the difference?"

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Provincial finalists have a weekend off before the All-Ireland series. Should the GAA allow a week off after the National Football League finals?

Possibly a more straightforward solution is to play the provincial championships over 5 weekends:

1) Leinster and Ulster Round 1. Connacht and Munster quarter-finals.

2) Leinster and Ulster quarter-finals.

3) Connacht and Munster semi-finals.

4) Leinster and Ulster semi-finals.

5) All Provincial finals.

Football

Div 1 league all star team

Div 2 league all star team

Div 3 league all star team

Div 4 league all star team

---

Then all four "teams" play each other in a knock out open draw competition abroad or in Ireland, televise it and jazz it up. I’m Would be a great pre season competition to have in New York or somewhere like that.

Watching the likes of Sam Mulroy for Louth play superbly (as usual) in a div 2 league game v Kildare annoys me. Knowing full well what a good player he is having seen him basically take on the Dubs on his own. But he will never get within an asses roar of an all star.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So the GAA would rather get money from 'Man city vs Man United in the ford cup or some bollocks' in August than go back to having the big championship games in August ?

They also want club players, ie 99%, to be playing more big games in summer so whats wrong with that?

How would you structure entire year club and county then?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I am not a fan of the advanced mark as it hasn't worked out as planned. There was one completely farcical mark in the Dublin/Tyrone game, where the ball was barely kicked forward but thankfully the Tyrone man missed it. Out of the 5 or 6 marks, there was only one that merited a mark - a long ball into Con and he rose to catch it when seriously challenged. I can see from that what the lawmakers intended, but it isn't what has come out in the vast majority of marks.

There is a reasonable argument for having the provincial championships before the league. If provincial winners only qualified, teams would have a clear picture of the league places that would offer a route to the All-Ireland.

11 league qualifiers, 4 provincial winners from the spring and 1 Tailteann winner should make up the All-Ireland 16. As an incentive for winning provincial championships and each respective division, the 4 provincial winners and the 4 winners of each division should be rewarded with an extra home game in the group stage of the All-Ireland and/or Tailteann. There can only be two teams per group with an extra home game. For groups with vacant extra home game spots, luck of the draw can be used.

Both the All-Ireland and Tailteann should be a straightforward matter of seeding teams based on league placing. League after provincial championships and before All-Ireland/Tailteann group stage shouldn't need league finals. If Division 4 counties want access to Croke Park, the conversation should be around establishing a Tier 3 championship. Ideally the Tailteann final and a Tier 3 final would both be curtain raisers to All-Ireland semi-finals. Both running in parallel with the All-Ireland series but with only half the teams each, finishing up at the All-Ireland semi-final stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

This is the same GAA that destroyed the once popular Leinster championship. They don't actually know what's best for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

It would be mental putting 15 div 4 ayers against 15 div 1 players. Better off having each county nominate their best 2 players, then conducting a draft pick with 4 managers to pick 4 different squads. Would be a decent mix of players across all 4 divisions in each teams and should be competitive

There would be zero appetite or time in the calendar for this though I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭heftie

Refs are afraid to have a mind of their own.Ref McAlister had a great gameat the Tipp /Galway camogie last week end ,kept the whistle to a minimum and made for a very enjoyable game

Get rid of the advantage rule in hurling , bring it back to where it was.Between too much whistling and Messers Fitz, McGrath and Cusack ruining our game we have ended up with a tippy tappy farce akin to soccer .Time to call time on this erosion of hurling values ,hurling is fast becoming the new football and that's not good.

Jarlath Burns is suggesting All-Ireland finals could return to September. Basic template would be intercounty from end of March to end of September. Club from October to emd of March. Basically moving the current timeframe to two months later.

ALTERNATIVE CROSSOVER:

County leagues are played during intercounty championship. Intercounty leagues could be run during the provincial club championships and All-Ireland club championships in February and March.

Provincial championships can remain as they are in April and the beginning of May.

There should be a reasonably spaced All-Ireland championship then from the end of May to September. Any format that suits the majority with promotion and relegation. Basic suggested split is 12:10:10.

Advertisement