Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September Indian summer possiblity

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

yes indian summer it is now for the next 4 or 5 days then back to normal again but mild and fairly dry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

Absolutely lovely weather in Tralee. Warm,sunny and still which is unusual for a north Atlantic coast.Long may it continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

by all accounts today & tomorrow are set to be scorchers :)

make the most of it folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

18.9C in Galway city at the moment and not a cloud in the sky :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

19.4c here and also clear skies. Its been a wonderful September so far. :)

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

22.4c here near Tralee

Pic.Banna Beach at 13.00

jhdhli.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

As was the norm for most of summer, in our eastern area (talking about Carlow/South Kildare) cloud has developed during the day.

It's actually driving me mad how it works. The sky is 90% clear the whole time, but say in the West sky where the sun is past say 4ish, is quite cloudy so the sun is hidden for the rest of the day. Is there a scientific reason for this, as it's been happening all summer without fail. Or am I just in the worst location during high pressure set up.

Yesterday was a stunning day though, but when the sun goes away today it feels really chilly. Looking at the satellite I should see the last of this whispy cloud bank as it seems to out over towards Laois now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I really felt for a lot of the country this Summer compared to Costa Del Bray and Playa Del Arklow but especially for you poor folks in Carlow and Kildare. If I was asked how this Summer compared to 2013, I could honestly say it was quite a bit better. 2013 IIRC had a very cold May but picked up big time in June and July with a 'Ho Hum' August. (Correct me if wrong). 2014 had a mild Spring and May and then a fabulous June and July, 'daycent' (mainly dry) August and a great September so far. Yet outside our east coastal strip from literally the Bray/Shankill Wicklow/Dublin border southwards, I observed convection start about noon every day over the rest of the country clouding everyone else out while we basked in glorious unbroken sunshine all day long. Ask anyone outside my neck of the woods how this Summer compared to last and it most definitely wouldn't be 'BETTER!'. "Warm, Muggy and Dull, but sure at least it was reasonably dry" would be a more likely answer.

Theres definitely geographical/topological/airmass reasons for some of the paradoxical differences experienced. For instance, in Bray we are on the other side of the Wicklow mountains from Carlow Kildare. When the weather is coming from the South West, invariably the Wicklow mountains seem to act like a shield or sponge for Bray, diverting cloud and/or soaking up the worst of the weather. ie. The mountains can create a clear patch in their lee with Bray in the middle of it, while the entire rest of the country is clouded out. Conversely however when the weather is coming from the South East or East, instead of the Wicklow mountains creating a clear patch in their lee for Carlow and Kildare, they actually seem to seed cloud in their lee.

I don't understand the meteological reasons Bray has a great little micro climate.....but I Likes it!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

22.4c here near Tralee

Pic.Banna Beach at 13.00

jhdhli.jpg

What a stunning pic! Thanks so much for posting it. I was out jogging between 4.30 and 5.30 on said same Banna strand and while I had no temperature gauge on me, I'd guess from the warm sea breeze that it was about 21-22 degrees.The tide was almost in at that stage,your pic captures it perfectly at low tide four hours earlier.There were still plenty of people swimming,paddling and sun bathing in the late afternoon.Really fab.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

had dinner outside this evening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

My part of Carlow has had wall to wall sunshine and blue skies all week.

Calibos wrote: »
    I really felt for a lot of the country this Summer compared to Costa Del Bray and Playa Del Arklow but especially for you poor folks in Carlow and Kildare. If I was asked how this Summer compared to 2013, I could honestly say it was quite a bit better. 2013 IIRC had a very cold May but picked up big time in June and July with a 'Ho Hum' August. (Correct me if wrong). 2014 had a mild Spring and May and then a fabulous June and July, 'daycent' (mainly dry) August and a great September so far. Yet outside our east coastal strip from literally the Bray/Shankill Wicklow/Dublin border southwards, I observed convection start about noon every day over the rest of the country clouding everyone else out while we basked in glorious unbroken sunshine all day long. Ask anyone outside my neck of the woods how this Summer compared to last and it most definitely wouldn't be 'BETTER!'. "Warm, Muggy and Dull, but sure at least it was reasonably dry" would be a more likely answer.

Theres definitely geographical/topological/airmass reasons for some of the paradoxical differences experienced. For instance, in Bray we are on the other side of the Wicklow mountains from Carlow Kildare. When the weather is coming from the South West, invariably the Wicklow mountains seem to act like a shield or sponge for Bray, diverting cloud and/or soaking up the worst of the weather. ie. The mountains can create a clear patch in their lee with Bray in the middle of it, while the entire rest of the country is clouded out. Conversely however when the weather is coming from the South East or East, instead of the Wicklow mountains creating a clear patch in their lee for Carlow and Kildare, they actually seem to seed cloud in their lee.

I don't understand the meteological reasons Bray has a great little micro climate.....but I Likes it!! :D

It's put a damper on things many days alright but there must have been maybe 5-10 days of brilliant sunshine here, and a couple more days with great sun till 3pm-ish then convection before clearing up in the evening. I still don't know what I rather, wall to wall sunshine morning to night but only 20 degrees or much warmer (27-28 compared to cooler coastal areas as seen earlier in the summer) but once convection gets going you could see 50:50 sun vs sun hidden behind clouds.

All things said, both those scenarios are better than very wet summers and we have been spoilt still, well many areas anyway. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just looking at the daily stats for sunshine on the met.ie site, It seems that Valentia (of all places), and the west coast in general came out tops in terms of sunshine hours. Yet further inland west, the least amount. Real pity there is no available sunshine data for Wicklow just to compare. I think Mothman (does he post on here anymore?) runs a weather station there but not sure if he records sunshine.

Average daily sunshine duration Summer 2014 (hours)
    Valentia: 6.4
    Belmullet: 6.3
    Dublin Apt: 6.0
    Cork Apt: 5.9
    Malin Hd: 5.8
    Casement: 5.4
    Shannon: 5.0
    Knock Apt: 3.8

Data from http://www.met.ie/climate/daily-data.asp

Mean isobaric gradient for the Summer just gone had a slightly WNW alignment over the center of the country (1015 hPa) with a slight tilt towards the north by a few degrees in the SW (around 1017-1018 hPa approx) indicating the (very) relatively stronger influence of the Azores high there.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Calibos wrote: »

You'll pay for it in the winter with the good old Isle of Man shadow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Average daily sunshine duration Summer 2014 (hours)
    Valentia: 6.4
    Belmullet: 6.3
    Dublin Apt: 6.0
    Cork Apt: 5.9
    Malin Hd: 5.8
    Casement: 5.4
    Shannon: 5.0
    Knock Apt: 3.8

Data from http://www.met.ie/climate/daily-data.asp

Checking the Monthly Weather summary for Summer after this earlier post and the sunshine data on that seems to contradict the above, which has Belmullet coming in with the highest total for the season with Valentia in 2nd place. Double checked the values on daily data page and they continue to contradict the summary, and by a considerable margin. :confused:

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 23,449 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think the dry, warm and sunny weather will continue uninterrupted for the vast majority right in to next week all be it on the cold side at night. A very stable continental flow looks to continue for the foreseeable future. It may get even warmer for the start of next week. Really beautiful conditions so get out and enjoy it because this is Summer's last hurrah!

We could speculate further ahead about the end of the month and increasingly the Scandinavian high pressure which dominates our weather becomes gradually more contaminated with much colder air from the Arctic on it's northeastern flank and eventually that would come toward us making things a lot cooler but that is all thin speculation and a very long way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

delw wrote: »
    You'll pay for it in the winter with the good old Isle of Man shadow ;)

Haha. Tru Dat!

Being smack bang in the middle of the east coast isn't good when it comes to snow shadows. Antrim-IOM-Anglesey. Wind has to come at us from the small windows in between them. Then the IOM shadow is so big and with Bray in the middle of the east coast, invariably we are within its northern limits when it's aimed at S. Wicklow/Wexford and within its southern boundaries when the Shadow is aimed at Meath/Dublin. There's literally 2 very specific compass points the wind has to come from to put us under any snow trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Stunning day out again today.
    Long may it continue.

I think the dry, warm and sunny weather will continue uninterrupted for the vast majority right in to next week all be it on the cold side at night. A very stable continental flow looks to continue for the foreseeable future. It may get even warmer for the start of next week. Really beautiful conditions so get out and enjoy it because this is Summer's last hurrah! Except for many Southern areas (unless on the coast) which can expect ALOT of cloud unless the wind changes and it isn't for the next few days.

Fixed....don't be getting our hopes up! :D

Pretty cloudy here most of the day so far, occasional periods of 5-10 minutes of sunshine but it's pretty bad and no wind change forecast for a couple of days, wind from the SE the whole time. Not good for anyone seeing plenty of cloud right now.

Off to do a sun dance and hope the clouds will run out of steam before 7 when the sun is too low in the sky to get any sort of warmth out of it.

EDIT: 4pm now and enduring the first sustained spell of sunshine since around 11am-12ish. Clearly up nicely but still very hazy out west where the sun is but it feels warm now at least. Let's hope over the next few days if cloud is going to form that it can clear up at this kind of time to allow those who see cloud during the day to get out and enjoy it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

lolie wrote: »
    Stunning day out again today.
    Long may it continue.

No way, I hate the summer, bring on the dark rainy evenings. I wish it was dark at 5pm already!

I really want to light the fire.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Bang_Bang wrote: »
    No way, I hate the summer, bring on the dark rainy evenings. I wish it was dark at 5pm already!

I really want to light the fire.:pac:

Move to Iceland and bring your negativity with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Move to Iceland and bring your negativity with you.

Having a preference for certain types of weather doesn't make somebody negative :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

I'm only happy when it rains. ;)

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Having a preference for certain types of weather doesn't make somebody negative :rolleyes:

It's extremely common and flu bacteria thrives in it. Your body can get adapt to warm weather but you will always be prone to headcolds, chest infections in cold weather.

Ireland's climate will always be prone to warm spells. If you don't like them, then relocate. Even Malin Head would suffice because the sea breezes take the edge of the temperatures, while the rest of the country bakes in sunshine.

Also, manual labour is horrible in Winter. Have you ever been on a building site from October to March? ****ing torture out there.

If the people complaining about warm weather are overweight, then I would suggest losing it because the more bodyfat you have, the more heat you body generates.

If it snowed in Wintertime in Ireland, then I wouldn't mind the Winter as much, but nothing is worse the a cold, westerly wind blowing rain in your face when it's only 5*C outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

It's extremely common and flu bacteria thrives in it. Your body can get adapt to warm weather but you will always be prone to headcolds, chest infections in cold weather.

That is more the mild and rainy weather that cause headcolds and chest infections. There was lots going around last year but in 2010 there was very few going around according to my doctor.
    Ireland's climate will always be prone to warm spells. If you don't like them, then relocate. Even Malin Head would suffice because the sea breezes take the edge of the temperatures, while the rest of the country bakes in sunshine.
    You could say the same to people liking hot weather. If you want hot weather go to Australia.
    Also, manual labour is horrible in Winter. Have you ever been on a building site from October to March? ****ing torture out there.

I used to but you get used to it quickly and frequent hot cups of tea help. Also you are constantly moving so you keep warm.
    If the people complaining about warm weather are overweight, then I would suggest losing it because the more bodyfat you have, the more heat you body generates.

People come in all shapes and sizes. I don't tell people to pack on the pounds because they can't stand the cold. If we have a cold winter we will see lots of people asking when will it warm up again.
    If it snowed in Wintertime in Ireland, then I wouldn't mind the Winter as much, but nothing is worse the a cold, westerly wind blowing rain in your face when it's only 5*C outside.

I love that weather and I go for walks in it. I hate the humid hot days with no breeze that others seem to love.

Lucreto wrote: »
    That is more the mild and rainy weather that cause headcolds and chest infections. There was lots going around last year but in 2010 there was very few going around according to my doctor.

From Wiki:

"The traditional folk theory is that a cold can be "caught" by prolonged exposure to cold weather such as rain or winter conditions, which is how the disease got its name. Some of the viruses that cause the common colds are seasonal, occurring more frequently during cold or wet weather. The reason for the seasonality has not been conclusively determined. This may occur due to cold induced changes in the respiratory system,[30] decreased immune response,[31] and low humidity increasing viral transmission rates, perhaps due to dry air allowing small viral droplets to disperse farther and stay in the air longer.[32] It may be due to social factors, such as people spending more time indoors, near an infected person,[30] and specifically children at school.[25][29] There is some controversy over the role of low body temperature as a risk factor for the common cold; the majority of the evidence suggests that it may result in greater susceptibility to infection."

You could say the same to people liking hot weather. If you want hot weather go to Australia.

I'd love to live in North East USA because the snowy Winters and Warm Summers, but if you think heat in Ireland can reach the extremes Australia, then there's no hope for you.
    People come in all shapes and sizes. I don't tell people to pack on the pounds because they can't stand the cold. If we have a cold winter we will see lots of people asking when will it warm up again.

Of course you don't, being overweight is a health risk.
    I love that weather and I go for walks in it. I hate the humid hot days with no breeze that others seem to love.

I don't like doing manual labour in it, but it, hands-down, beats working on a roof with the cold wind and rain pounding your face.

Cold wind and rain is bad for your appearance. It causes purple blemishes and general unattractiveness. When I joined Bebo back in 2006, I noticed a number of old Scottish women looked like human-sized smurfs because tehir skin was weather-beaten to a purple colour. Our climate is the reason why we have the second-highest numbers of red-haired (Scotland has the highest) people because that's what you evolve to look like if your ancestors live here long enough.

I've no problem with red-haired people, I'm just content with having brown hair and skin that can tan - they are significantly more prone to skin-cancer than I am because this part of the world lacks sunlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod note
    This thread has taken a seriously bizarre turn..

Back on topic guys! i.e. the current warm, settled weather
    Human-sized smurfs and the pros & cons of red hair are for another forum :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Was glorious again in Sligo today

better weather than any we got in Summer. yes Summer was good but we got the sunshine here and there whereas now theres hours and hours of it and its a pleasant 21.4c yesterday 21.4c the day before 19c so we cant complain.

Swam in sea for nearly an hour today and it was so nice. Got out as it was getting dark and tide was coming in so I thought it would take my towel.

Tides really high these days. On Tuesday in Mulranny it nearly submerged the bridge. On Wednesday in Enniscrone it almost reached the road where cars were parked. And today it got right up to the dunes. Not as high as Tuesday and Wednesday though. No Swim yesterday so dont know what it did then.

They are saying that Christmas will have a really high tide this year but lets enjoy the sun for another week.

Wer getting showers next week but it should still be 19 or 20c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

What a cracking day, had a lovely dip in the sea. Wonderful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,449 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Some nice sunshine in the east and maybe along the south coast tomorrow i'd say with the onshore wind but again some cloud developing inland as well. Looks like warming up on Wednesday inland with temps up to 23 or 24c in some lucky spots - thinking the sheltered mid west region a good bet for the best temperatures. A similar regime stays in place for the forseeable future with high pressure to the north, low pressure to the south steering in air off a warm continent originating from north Africa.

T-shirt weather for another week at least.

Advertisement