Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you go to the ploughing 2018

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

_Brian wrote: »
    Don’t remember it being in Cavan or Leitrim recently.

I think Ballinabracky Co Meath was the most northerly it ever was.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Reggie. wrote: »
    It's grand here in the ploughing. Slightly mucky in places but in work boots here

I was in about 10 and out about 3. No traffic. Parked in Charleville and ferried over. Rained from 12:30 or so, mainly light rain. No hardship at all. A good day for me all things considered. Ground was good, I saw very little muck. The car sailed out of the field no problem. Might go again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

Fine Gael have announced that the ploughing is on in Carlow next year.

Poor aul Anna Marie McHugh isnt happy that she didnt get to announce this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

could there actually be anywhere in cavan or lietrim capable of holding it? ballinabrackey is the most southerly point in meath as well right on the offaly border. it is vary strange it hasnt been in meath ,louth or north dublin more often huge tillage areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

tanko wrote: »

Poor aul Anna Marie McHugh isnt happy that she didnt get to announce this.[/QUOTE

Pat Deering stole the show, where in Carlow oak park no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

tanko wrote: »

Poor aul Anna Marie McHugh isnt happy that she didnt get to announce this.

Thank god. Really think that sight is not good enough. It's very limited size wise too. Main tracks in the Laois sight were all 3 wide. Easy to move around. Hopefully the Carlow sight will be similar too. It's to soft and gets in trouble with some rain. The ploughing is to big now to be fecking around with a bad sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

Dickie10 wrote: »
    could there actually be anywhere in cavan or lietrim capable of holding it? ballinabrackey is the most southerly point in meath as well right on the offaly border. it is vary strange it hasnt been in meath ,louth or north dublin more often huge tillage areas

There was advanced plans to have it near Ardee a few years ago.
    They wanted to close the link road between Ardee and the motorway just for pluoghing traffic but the NRA wouldnt agree to this so that was the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Think it was in louth about 60 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

It was in Kells some time in the 60’s or 70’s but it was a different event back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Anna McHugh sounded very childish on radio a while ago giving out about deering announcing where next year's ploughing is,she said he put the whole event in jeopardy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Part of the culture of the championships is that they are not held in the same venue every year. This the first time in decades that there has been disruption to the event caused by the weather so its just unfortunate that there were stormy conditions so early in the season yesterday.

There was disruption last year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭alps

One of the signs when great leaders have passed their sell by date is when ego starts to get in the way...

Not saying it has any relevance here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Anna McHugh sounded very childish on radio a while ago giving out about deering announcing where next year's ploughing is,she said he put the whole event in jeopardy

The plan was to have it in Carlow this yr. but the cables and stuff didnt get pulled in last autumn as the weather was too bad. Cable and points are all sorted now. But they are also in in Athy where it was a few yrs back. Most of these places are putting in permanent cabling now. Some of the places used yrs back are now unsuitable as the road infrastructure is not good enough. Also it now will be close to a motorway for movement of equipment to and from the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I don't think the negotiations are finalised so it could have been put in jeopardy,
    Rumours of some farmer playing hard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭White Clover

Thank god. Really think that sight is not good enough. It's very limited size wise too. Main tracks in the Laois sight were all 3 wide. Easy to move around. Hopefully the Carlow sight will be similar too. It's to soft and gets in trouble with some rain. The ploughing is to big now to be fecking around with a bad sight.

I completely agree. I have attended every year since I was a nipper, the last year being '16 in Tullamore. The site was a big step back in quality compared to Athy over the previous 3 years. The car park across the road in tullamore turned into a mess, pure messing trying to get out. Last year the place flooded. Good and all as the land is there, it's not a patch on Athy or wexford. The only problem with wexford is access. After '16 in Tullamore, I wasn't going to be there last year or this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

She’ll get over it when she’s counting the takings for this year over the wkend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

wrangler wrote: »
    I don't think the negotiations are finalised so it could have been put in jeopardy,
    Rumours of some farmer playing hard

I’ve history of negotiating with Anna a good few years ago.
    Mrs. Thatcher would’ve been easier...farmers couldn’t haggle hard enough.

Why do you think she keeps looking for new sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I completely agree. I have attended every year since I was a nipper, the last year being '16 in Tullamore. The site was a big step back in quality compared to Athy over the previous 3 years. The car park across the road in tullamore turned into a mess, pure messing trying to get out. Last year the place flooded. Good and all as the land is there, it's not a patch on Athy or wexford. The only problem with wexford is access. After '16 in Tullamore, I wasn't going to be there last year or this year.

When the new motorway is finished Wexford might be feasible again!
    I really enjoy the ploughing. Think it is a great day out to finish up the year and see some new equipment or laboursaving ideas and catch up with some companies we deal with

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

The second ploughing i went to was Ardfert-that was some traffic jam worse than wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭White Clover

When the new motorway is finished Wexford might be feasible again!
    I really enjoy the ploughing. Think it is a great day out to finish up the year and see some new equipment or laboursaving ideas and catch up with some companies we deal with

Hopefully. Although when twas there a few years ago we had no trouble getting in. Stayed in kk the previous night and came down through rosbercon and crossed the river somewhere there, had the breakfast in a rural pub a couple of miles from the car park and sailed in after with no delay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

would anna may mchugh and the ploughing gang not think of donating 10-15% of the gate takings to charity, maybe a different charity each day, irish cancer society, pieta house etc. im sure they could afford this they seem very money hungry gang

• Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Any word on the attendance for Tuesday and today

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

I’ve history of negotiating with Anna a good few years ago.
    Mrs. Thatcher would’ve been easier...farmers couldn’t haggle hard enough.

Why do you think she keeps looking for new sites?

Always find both mother and daughter annoying to listen to on radio and tv, that level of cuteness I find irritating, I know the elder Anna is a national treasure but I watched her on gay byrnes programme about god and spirituality etc a few years ago and you knew no more about her after thirty minutes than thirty seconds, all oul meaningless guff, put a healy rae to shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

whelan2 wrote: »
    Any word on the attendance for Tuesday and today

96 for Monday and 87 for today according to paper . Wife was working there and said she thought it was very quiet

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Which is literally the furthest West and south you can go in meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Was there today just home now. We thought it was v quiet TBH guys at the stands weren't too happy and then it just started lashing so all were closing up. Most of the guys I seemed to talk to aren't going to be there tomorrow so it will be interesting to see turn outs! There was a lot of negativity over the fact the stakeholders were told after the public.
    One thing thou I find the event v well organised in terms of traffic we had no problems and it all seems to run seamlessly so we were happy with it. And there were plenty of portaloos which was a welcome surprise!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

:p
    Dickie10 wrote: »
    would anna may mchugh and the ploughing gang not think of donating 10-15% of the gate takings to charity, maybe a different charity each day, irish cancer society, pieta house etc. im sure they could afford this they seem very money hungry gang

A snowball`s chance in hell of that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Tinwhistle*

Is Friday still on? I've lived over here for 14 years and this will be my first time there hopefully!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Odelay

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement