Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you go to the ploughing 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    I think Bass was exaggerating for effect. Anna May has gold taps in her bathroom and drives a Ferrari too don't you know...

It wouldn't be like him!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,062 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

valtra2 wrote: »
    It wouldn't be like him!!!!!

Boards would be lost without him all the same. He has a great head on his shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Yes.

Going to buy a slanetrac Hc150 hedge cutter for the mini digger. It’s like a finger bar mower type hedgecutter.

Did you buy one after?
    I got one recently for the front loader. Does a grand job on sides of hedges, but a pain in the arse for the top as the cuttings get caught at the motor and it will just drag them along. Might be better on the digger where you can slew in and out, but the loader is a poor job for top of hedges

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What's the weather like there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

whelan2 wrote: »
    What's the weather like there today.

Early afternoon will be the start of the downpour, going by the Met Eireann graphics.

• Advertisement

Early afternoon will be the start of the downpour, going by the Met Eireann graphics.

Supposed to be raining there now according to the live radar.
    The downpour looks to be going further north than forecasted by met eireann.
    ICON model had that.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Anna Marie was on the radio saying if you turned up before 12.30 yesterday it was your own fault as you were told a decision was going to be made then. A bit arrogant I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

croot wrote: »
    Anna Marie was on the radio saying if you turned up before 12.30 yesterday it was your own fault as you were told a decision was going to be made then. A bit arrogant I thought
    They were saying all Tuesday evening and early Wednesday morning that it would open at 11am! Did they even check out the site early on Wednesday morning before tweeting/facebook that they were still opening at 11am. It looked like there attitude was, ah sure it will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Anna Marie needs to realise which side her bread is buttered, don’t knock your paying patrons.

You're not supposed to say stuff like that here. ;)

Ah completely arrogant and it shows her attitude to it all.
    The father was watching that ploughing live thing there Tuesday evening and Joanna Donnelly was emphasizing how the weather was going to be bad on Wednesday. Then Aine Lawlor (i know shes nothing to do with the Npa) goes and we'll still be open bright and early.
    Then that tweet from the Npa at 7.30 am yesterday morning telling how they had talks with met eireann and the wind was dying down and they would be open by 11 am. There were no bleedin discussions with met eireann.:mad:

It was a total shambles. The only saving grace was that there wasn't a bus load of children hit by a falling tree on the way to the Ploughing yesterday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

That's definitely the wrong attitude to have. While I have sympathy that the weather can ruin any event out of doors, if everyone had waited until 12:30 to make their decision to go out, she wouldn't have had any problem with turning away crowds because there would be no one there. Be careful what you wish for.

In fact yesterday was a total shambles. There was no effective disaster plan (every big event needs a workable one), and no communication between stewards. If it wasn't for the rte website then people would have been standing around in the dark for an awful lot longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Heavy rainfall here most of this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭MfMan

The trouble is that the ploughing has become such a huge commercial event. The 2 Ms. McHughs are totally out of their depth in trying to manage such an event. Really need properly qualified commercial teams from now on to pull the whole thing together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Looks very messy there from what i have seen on snapchat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

croot wrote:

We left home yesterday at 8 the weather was ok. The information was that when the height of the wind had passed at 11 it would open.
    Clearly the site was not safe to open at anytime and well they knew it.
    Financial concerns were the priority
    The call not to open was correct but it should have been made earlier anytime up to 11 would have been fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

grassroot1 wrote: »
    croot wrote:

We left home yesterday at 8 the weather was ok. The information was that when the height of the wind had passed at 11 it would open.
    Clearly the site was not safe to open at anytime and well they knew it.
    Financial concerns were the priority
    The call not to open was correct but it should have been made earlier anytime up to 11 would have been fine
    When was all the damage done to the site? Was it around 11am or was it earlier. If it was earlier, going by the photos I have seen surely anyone with common sense should have known it couldn't go ahead. Sur they barely got it fixed up in time for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yea, in all fairness she sounded ridiculous- it's never going to take "only half an hour" to get there and in unless living very locally. You wouldn't have just decided to pop up from Cork at 11.00 am to the car park on the off chance it might be opening at 12.00 pm!
    This has done a lot of damage to their reputation, more so with the crucial stand holders who pay for it all and their salaries.
    Speaking to people in the past that have had stands the costs are massive, just to even rent the space. I know a few small businesses that gave up on it over the years- you can see the shift as it became less pure agri focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    When was all the damage done to the site? Was it around 11am or was it earlier. If it was earlier, going by the photos I have seen surely anyone with common sense should have known it couldn't go ahead. Sur they barely got it fixed up in time for today.

I was in the car park at 9 am and it was quite calm. The winds picked up at 10 am and the damage was done between 10 and 11 am.
    Met eireann had it forcasted to be gone by 10 am but it hadn't

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What's it like up there today? I'm picturing hell with all the school kids splashing eachother and everyone else with ****e. Cool, wet and miserable.
    How are the car parks?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

MfMan wrote: »
    The trouble is that the ploughing has become such a huge commercial event. The 2 Ms. McHughs are totally out of their depth in trying to manage such an event. Really need properly qualified commercial teams from now on to pull the whole thing together.

That’s BS. They’ve been running the largest outdoor evenit in Europe for years and you think somebody would be better qualified to do it? You might not like them but you can’t fault their ability.

They made the wrong call yesterday but hindsight is a wonderful thing. It’s amazing that everybody is saying they should have canceled it Tuesday night but stangly nobody posted that on Tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭newholland mad

They were damded either way if they cancelled tue night or early wed morning before the wind picked up and the storm didnt end up being too bad they would have loooked like fools and would get berated for cancelling and jumping the gun. Was talking to a neighbour yest morn around 8 and he was giving out yards that the wind wasnt bad at all and it should have went ahead and opened at 8 as normal, he was leaving then to be there for 10 saying that they'l open earlier than 11havent seen him since to hear todays wisdom from him. I think they gave it every chance and it didnt work out

There's 93 pages on Storm Ali from the weather forum on boards here if ye have the inclination to read it.
    It started 4 days ago. Complete with charts and animations from how the forecasts evolved.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108100713&postcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

It's grand here in the ploughing. Slightly mucky in places but in work boots here

Reggie. wrote: »
    It's grand here in the ploughing. Slightly mucky in places but in work boots here

Any bargains?

Any bargains?

The bargains come later after a few weeks if their price and then my price. Till finally we meet in the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Surely at this stage they have bankroll enough to purchase a permanent site and put down some roots, get proper event centre up and running that I’m sure would get plenty of other use throughout the year.

Flaffing about with flimsy tents is for parochial events, not the largest agri show in Europe.

_Brian wrote: »
    Surely at this stage they have bankroll enough to purchase a permanent site and put down some roots, get proper event centre up and running that I’m sure would get plenty of other use throughout the year.

Flaffing about with flimsy tents is for parochial events, not the largest agri show in Europe.

Correct or at least have proper concrete tie down points

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

_Brian wrote: »

Part of the culture of the championships is that they are not held in the same venue every year. This the first time in decades that there has been disruption to the event caused by the weather so its just unfortunate that there were stormy conditions so early in the season yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Part of the culture of the championships is that they are not held in the same venue every year. This the first time in decades that there has been disruption to the event caused by the weather so its just unfortunate that there were stormy conditions so early in the season yesterday.

Don’t remember it being in Cavan or Leitrim recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭alps

The ploughing will never again move away within a stones throw from Portlaoise...

The scale and logistics of the event now dictates this, and to be honest, for most of the patrons it doesn't matter one iota if it's 3 hours up the M7, the M8 or the M9...It may as well be in the same place every year...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement