Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you go to the ploughing 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

whelan2 wrote: »
    I'm no fan of the mc hughs but year in year out they put on a great show. Fair play to them

Same here, after all those years they're now being condemned on one bad year ...like wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 29,166 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

wrangler wrote: »
    Same here, after all those years they're now being condemned on one bad year ...like wtf

No one can plan the weather unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The management has proved itself over the years, hopefully this year is a freak but exhibitors will have to put up better quality stands......not use something that turns into a missile in bad weather.
    Apparently the Simmenthal stand was perfect until the Blackwater stand hit it.
    Those shopping arcade tents are owned by the Npa though I think?
    Well maybe not directly but a sub company set up to hire them out to the Ploughing, like the company hiring out the tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

wrangler wrote:
    The management has proved itself over the years, hopefully this year is a freak but exhibitors will have to put up better quality stands......not use something that turns into a missile in bad weather. Apparently the Simmenthal stand was perfect until the Blackwater stand hit it.

You test management on bad days not good ones
    The Blackwater marquee hit the Simmental stand and that was the NPA's baby
    I think the management have proven themselves that they can organise a huge event but they may have forgotten exhibitors and visitors make it a success

• Registered Users Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

grassroot1 wrote: »
    You test management on bad days not good ones
    The Blackwater marquee hit the Simmental stand and that was the NPA's baby
    I think the management have proven themselves that they can organise a huge event but they may have forgotten exhibitors and visitors make it a success

Very good point. Yes nobody could predict the weather and the NPA was dammed if they did and dammed if they did not cancel Wednesday. But come Wednesday 10-11pm they failed to cancel early enough.IMO and I do not know how it is going but Friday opening is not a bright idea.

Some lads on here are delussional. They could not see the issue that Friday opening created for stall holders and exhibitors. There was one comment that because they opened Friday it would prevent exhibitors and prebookings from claiming a refund for failing to open Wednesday. If this is the case again it is ill taught out. Exhibitors and punters have suffered losses theya re repeat customers you need to keep them on board. If it is painful for one year so what if you ahve the reserves to cover it. Goodwill counts for everything in a game like this.

The huff over the FG TD announcing the venue for next year. What idiot told him. Politicians always want to be first with the good news. He must have taught all his Christmas's came togeather.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Those shopping arcade tents are owned by the Npa though I think?
    Well maybe not directly but a sub company set up to hire them out to the Ploughing, like the company hiring out the tracks.

I didn't think it'd be any different than the sheep tent, which was organised by the NSBA and everyone took a square of it. I don't know any way, it'd be a huge undertaking if the commitee were responsible for every arcade...a logistical nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

very low numbers here today id say 20-30 thousand tops

Very good point. Yes nobody could predict the weather and the NPA was dammed if they did and dammed if they did not cancel Wednesday. But come Wednesday 10-11pm they failed to cancel early enough.IMO and I do not know how it is going but Friday opening is not a bright idea.

Some lads on here are delussional. They could not see the issue that Friday opening created for stall holders and exhibitors. There was one comment that because they opened Friday it would prevent exhibitors and prebookings from claiming a refund for failing to open Wednesday. If this is the case again it is ill taught out. Exhibitors and punters have suffered losses theya re repeat customers you need to keep them on board. If it is painful for one year so what if you ahve the reserves to cover it. Goodwill counts for everything in a game like this.

The huff over the FG TD announcing the venue for next year. What idiot told him. Politicians always want to be first with the good news. He must have taught all his Christmas's came togeather.
    It was on the front page of the carlow nationalist last week I believe and all over social media before and after that.
    Anna Marie is a bit old fashioned if she thinks secrets can be kept nowadays.
    The Pat Deering spat was a poor attempt of deflection about this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭newholland mad

Nobody needed to tell him. His inlaws live about 2 miles from the site and 200 ac of tillage land that hasnt been in grass in over 100 years has been sown down about 3 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

fergus1001 wrote:
    very low numbers here today id say 20-30 thousand tops

But they'll round it up to 60k!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I didn't think it'd be any different than the sheep tent, which was organised by the NSBA and everyone took a square of it. I don't know any way, it'd be a huge undertaking if the commitee were responsible for every arcade...a logistical nightmare

Not really. A logisttical nightmare would be allowing everybody to turn up with there own tent/marquee. Lads trying to put up tents between other tents, tents larger than specified. Ant tents/marquees put up in rows to a standard spect would have to be speced and srrected by the one company.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Nobody needed to tell him. His inlaws live about 2 miles from the site and 200 ac of tillage land that hasnt been in grass in over 100 years has been sown down about 3 weeks ago

Everyone and his mother knows exactly which farms are or are not included in the area plus a couple of "public" meetings held locally.

Pat's in laws a bit closer than two miles to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

Box09 wrote: »
    But they'll round it up to 60k!

I was at it on Tuesday and i cant see how there was 95K there, it was a lot easier to move around than the Tuesday last year even in the middle of the day.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Could understand the mc hughs being annoyed about some politician running off at the mouth.

If you can't trust a vote chasing TD, who can you trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

What about the phoneix park as a venue we could take back the city for the week plenty of infrastructure big empty white house in the middle of it turn it in to head quarters loads of hotels bar's and strip joints all you need is your pockets full of cash.

Not really. A logisttical nightmare would be allowing everybody to turn up with there own tent/marquee. Lads trying to put up tents between other tents, tents larger than specified. Ant tents/marquees put up in rows to a standard spect would have to be speced and srrected by the one company.

https://www.localenterprise.ie/Fingal/News/Latest-News/Call-for-applications-to-exhibit-at-the-National-Ploughing-Championships-2018.html

There's another crowd organising and hosting a collection of exhibitiors similar to NSBA, Much more practical than NPA organising it.
    Looks good value, I know someone that sells icegream in one of those tents and she'd sell enough in the first hour to pay for the week, she's there every year

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

_Brian wrote: »
    Yep, they’re collecting plenty of money and banks would surely see the repayment potential.

Sadly I feel there are too many breastfeeding of the income to be bothered.

It’s tome to step things up a notch and provide the facilities punters deserve. They could have permanent toilets. I think they need fresh blood with a bigger drive than a woman with all her best years behind her.
    Whatever about the descision this week good luck to you finding someone with more drive than her.the steel thats in her dont come around too often

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

K.G. wrote: »
    Whatever about the descision this week good luck to you finding someone with more drive than her.the steel thats in her dont come around too often

Nostalgia shouldn’t be allowed hold tie thing back.
    It’s angreat event but far from perfect.

A permanent site would allow much more Decelopment for the event plus additional revenue streams throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

kerryjack wrote: »
    What about the phoneix park as a venue we could take back the city for the week plenty of infrastructure big empty white house in the middle of it turn it in to head quarters loads of hotels bar's and strip joints all you need is your pockets full of cash.

the strip joints are the other side of the city ;)

A permanent site would allow much more Decelopment for the event plus additional revenue streams throughout the year.

Probably needs the most of a thousand acres to hold it now, i don;t think they have a huge reserve yet to consider putting a billion into a site. It benefits local clubs the way it is and moving around the country shares it around.
    A great festival for farmers, they don't treat the exhibitors great but then neither does tullamore show and they get away with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Probably needs the most of a thousand acres to hold it now, i don;t think they have a huge reserve yet to consider putting a billion into a site. It benefits local clubs the way it is and moving around the country shares it around.
    A great festival for farmers, they don't treat the exhibitors great but then neither does tullamore show and they get away with it

theres a decent jump in cost between the tullamore show and the ploughing though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭alps

Is there any " min till" competition at the ploughing?

alps wrote: »
    Is there any " min till" competition at the ploughing?

I think that's in the car parks. ;)

Vraderstad were doing their own demonstration days in the spring if that's any use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Numbers well down here today, given all the talk going on here I don't see many stands shut up. RTÉ and I'd say about 4/5 other stands. Grand day I thought and easy to get around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I fully agree with you there, they have it beautifully fine tuned, no waiting to park everything moving, and the walkways are absolutely great, I was there yesterday, numbers way down, could get food anywhere any time, great entertainment all the way, but nothing new eg, no new stands with new inventions which is one of the things I love to see, that gets a bit tired ,

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

great day, no delay on way in or out! 99% of stands open lots of room to get around. you'll never please everyone no matter what u do but I thoroughly enjoyed the day,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Numbers well down here today, given all the talk going on here I don't see many stands shut up. RTÉ and I'd say about 4/5 other stands. Grand day I thought and easy to get around

Once rain cleared I’d say today was probably the best day. Cold day though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Felt more like 40k today but who am I to say

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

Felt more like 40k today but who am I to say

240 000 over 3 days, highly exaggerated figures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Will they exaggerate them for the tax man?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement