Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you go to the ploughing 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Will they exaggerate them for the tax man?

You kiddin...they lost millions doncha know :)
    An opportunity to turn a pr disaster into a financial windfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,178 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Does the figures include those working on stands, working on site, participating in the ploughing etc or is it the paying public only?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

whelan2 wrote: »
    Does the figures include those working on stands, working on site, participating in the ploughing etc or is it the paying public only?

Id say they count the stock. Aswell as the people!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

croot wrote: »
    Anna Marie was on the radio saying if you turned up before 12.30 yesterday it was your own fault as you were told a decision was going to be made then. A bit arrogant I thought
    Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Anna Marie needs to realise which side her bread is buttered, don’t knock your paying patrons.
    Anna McHugh sounded very childish on radio a while ago giving out about deering announcing where next year's ploughing is,she said he put the whole event in jeopardy
    alps wrote: »
    One of the signs when great leaders have passed their sell by date is when ego starts to get in the way...

Not saying it has any relevance here!!
    road_high wrote: »
    Anna Marie McHugh is in a woeful huff over Pat Deering TD Carlow/Kilkenny announcing next years venue before the NPA. Wouldn't be surprised if they pulled it out of spite!
    I'm no fan of the mc hughs but year in year out they put on a great show. Fair play to them
    If there is going to be a lesson learned from this whole debacle is that maybe they should employ a professional public relations person for front of screen and radio. The current face of the championships comes across as too gruff in front of camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Box09 wrote: »
    240 000 over 3 days, highly exaggerated figures

Based on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Angus2018

240,000? Sounds off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If there is going to be a lesson learned from this whole debacle is that maybe they should employ a professional public relations person for front of screen and radio. The current face of the championships comes across as too gruff in front of camera.

They'll be fine, all the complaints on here and most years you'd be walked on with the crowds.
    Just shows how much difference our comments make

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Something that stuck with me was the Aldi stand. They were playing a video showcasing their suppliers including a cheese producer in the south west.

There was a line like "We produce the best buffalo mozzarella in Ireland. You don't need to be Italian to make great mozzarella".

Actually, legally you do. It's a protected term in the EU, you're only allowed to call it that if it's made in certain regions in Italy, same goes for Parmesan. Aldi should watch themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Dunedin

People can choose of their own free will to attend or not and that includes boardies too!! No penalties from single payment, Glas, ANC, etc. for not attending.

I went on Thursday and the crowd was definitely down on other years but that made it easier to get round.

Is it perfect- no, but overall is it enjoyable- yes. And €20 is not bad value either.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Tinwhistle*

I was there today, very impressed tbh, well organised and loads to see. My first time there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Centrepassage

Very easy to get around today but most of the people in the various stands said numbers way down today. Said footfall was only 20% of previous days. Twenty thousand max I'd say. Lot of stands starting to pull the plug from lunchtime on. Still all the better for the public . Walk where ever you want and no waiting at any stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

troyzer wrote: »
    Something that stuck with me was the Aldi stand. They were playing a video showcasing their suppliers including a cheese producer in the south west.

There was a line like "We produce the best buffalo mozzarella in Ireland. You don't need to be Italian to make great mozzarella".

Actually, legally you do. It's a protected term in the EU, you're only allowed to call it that if it's made in certain regions in Italy, same goes for Parmesan. Aldi should watch themselves.

If it's made with buffalo milk, what else do you call it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

If it's made with buffalo milk, what else do you call it?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographical_indications_and_traditional_specialities_in_the_European_Union

This is what he's referring to, but not sure if mozzarella comes under this.

wrangler wrote: »
    They'll be fine, all the complaints on here and most years you'd be walked on with the crowds.
    Just shows how much difference our comments make

It's not a public political broadcast wrangler. :pac:
    Shooting the breeze is all.

Just when I saw all the comments I said I'd link them together with my own comment. It's the whole point of here.
    Free and fair discussion.

But I'm not the only one saying that.
    She's not exactly a people person maybe off screen but definitely not on screen.

She was on that Brendan o Connor show one night with Brendan, one of the rte news reporters and some gay social media lad. When they found out she was so serious the whole time the three of them just ripped the piss out of her about animal farming and how they were all vegan just to wind her up and see her fly.
    She needs PR classes...at least for her own sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Muckit wrote: »
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographical_indications_and_traditional_specialities_in_the_European_Union

This is what he's referring to, but not sure if mozzarella comes under this.

Ah! Looks like that's only if you claim it's 'Mozzarella di Bufala Campana' though. Like Kobe beef compared to wagyu beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

The ploughing is now more of a lifestyle festival which is fine and it gets phenomenal crowds every year but the agri machinery part is in steep decline, will be very little there of that in a few years I'd say. Think most people looking at new machinery go to Punchestown now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I think with a lot of people it's about getting out in the fresh air for a day. A break from the routine.
    Say what you will, it's seriously well organised event. The guards and the stewards do a great job.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

It's not a public political broadcast wrangler. :pac:
    Shooting the breeze is all.

Just when I saw all the comments I said I'd link them together with my own comment. It's the whole point of here.
    Free and fair discussion.

But I'm not the only one saying that.
    She's not exactly a people person maybe off screen but definitely not on screen.

She was on that Brendan o Connor show one night with Brendan, one of the rte news reporters and some gay social media lad. When they found out she was so serious the whole time the three of them just ripped the piss out of her about animal farming and how they were all vegan just to wind her up and see her fly.
    She needs PR classes...at least for her own sake.
    She's not going to change at her age

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

I was there Tues & enjoyed it, but agree with a few posters on here, Anna & all have done a great job, but surely it's time to add a little bit more professionalism to the public relations side, Anna was on the mic Tues, murmuring on ad-lib, no idea what she was saying, time to hand over the reins..

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

Overall attendance down by 50,000 compared to last year......RTE 9 o'clock news just now

• Advertisement

She's not going to change at her age

Life changes us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

jfh wrote: »
    I was there Tues & enjoyed it, but agree with a few posters on here, Anna & all have done a great job, but surely it's time to add a little bit more professionalism to the public relations side, Anna was on the mic Tues, murmuring on ad-lib, no idea what she was saying, time to hand over the reins..

Have to get Marty on the mic so, I never llsten to it any way.

Was it officially announced where it will be next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭White Clover

Carlow!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

No, not officially. It appears Anna Marie got into a huge strop after Pat Deering Carlow/Kilkenny TD stole her thunder and think it won't be announced for another month. I don't think the Carlow option has/had been copper fastened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

they could move it back to athy again since they have the wiring down already apparently

Carlow might not be the best since most of the traffic will be coming from one direction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

road_high wrote: »
    No, not officially. It appears Anna Marie got into a huge strop after Pat Deering Carlow/Kilkenny TD stole her thunder and think it won't be announced for another month. I don't think the Carlow option has/had been copper fastened yet.

Well seemingly contracts signed with landowners and land reseeded.Would be a bit late to change at this stage I would imagine.Think it was always coming to Carlow this year as they looked at another site or two as well.

Will this mean that in future as soon as deal is done everyone knows where its going.Hardly have a gag clause in the contracts?
    In the Fighting Cocks area of Carlow its been common knowledge for 2 months or more regarding the possibility of the ploughing being held there.Anyone within 10 miles could tell you exactly which farms etc.
    Hear a lot of accomodation is booked out in the general area a good while back.

Think Mammy May will have to come up with a new gimmick for the closing day of the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yea I heard it over a month ago too from a neighbouring farmer at Fighting Cocks but who knows now, they can probably still change it and have other options on standby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Is Michael Lowery trying to get it in Thurles for the world ploughing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No one can plan the weather unfortunately
    No, but you can plan FOR the weather. Cancelling at such short notice seemed very disorganised and indecisive.

Box09 wrote: »
    Brilliant idea. The McHughs have come out of this looking like sore losers. I used to love going , but not in recent years, it is gone too big and commercial.

Why does RTE provide hours of free coverage for a commercial event?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement