Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Joe and Keith breakfast show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

I used to listen to Richie & Michelle/ Charlotte most mornings on the commute to work & was a little upset when they finished. Kept my mind open though and gave Joe & Keith a chance for a while until roughly the middle of January. For what it's worth I switched off after they began running those unfunny & patronizing Danny Healy-Rae mock interviews. (I believe they were inundated with complaints from listener the first day this was ran) Some the other pieces they ran before this were equally as inane before that so I guess it was the final straw for this former listener...
    Sure it's easy to complain anonymously on the interwebs about their show, but I know of a dozen or more who feel the same about their show and have also tuned out.
    I'll probably only tune back in when they are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Not listening to them anymore. Nova in the mornings and then back to Phantom at 11 for Caddell

EDIT: I had forgotten they like to play Bon Jovi on Nova... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

wouldn't it be great is Dublin had an Indie/Alternative Rock station...
    ....said Simon Maher in 1996 (presumably)

annoying that is' still being said 17 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

wouldn't it be great is Dublin had an Indie/Alternative Rock station...
    ....said Simon Maher in 1996 (presumably)

annoying that is' still being said 17 years later.

Equally annoying is that lots of stuff peddled as indie today is 80's inspired synth pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I've given up on Phantom in the mornings now. I can't stand the stupid banter on the morning programme anymore. Richie and Michelle were a great team and I really tried to like the new show but now I just switch to Newstalk or Nova in the mornings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 PeadarC

JJ wrote: »
    I've given up on Phantom in the mornings now. I can't stand the stupid banter on the morning programme anymore. Richie and Michelle were a great team and I really tried to like the new show but now I just switch to Newstalk or Nova in the mornings.

Seriously though, if your content moving to newstalk or nova, maybe Phantom was never your natural home??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

PeadarC wrote: »
    Seriously though, if your content moving to newstalk or nova, maybe Phantom was never your natural home??

I like to keep up on current events and I like the odd bit of classic rock but I like indie/alternative music as well. I probably have no natural home then.

JJ wrote: »

I like to keep up on current events and I like the odd bit of classic rock but I like indie/alternative music as well. I probably have no natural home then.

I hear ya.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Was listening to Phantom yesterday afternoon and there was an advert on for the breakfast show, which was just a lot of them talking to people on the phone and one of them (joe?) saying you better say hello to Keith.

If that's the best highlight reel they could put together for an ad I dread to think what a full show is like.

I like it. When you compare it to the alternative breakfast shows, some of which are intensely irritating, it holds up well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

PeadarC wrote: »
    I like it. When you compare it to the alternative breakfast shows, some of which are intensely irritating, it holds up well.

No it doesn't. It's the worst of a bad bad lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

I still miss Sinister Pete in the mornings :(
    I liked Richie and Charlotte, but Pete was still the best I think - he played some great music and there was less inane chatter than with all the other 5-aside breakfast hosts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

I've liked most the brekkie shows on Phantom, if not all.

That said Michelle O D was *the worst* interviewer I've ever heard on any station, radio or television. I would turn off most times they had someone in studio. J&K seem to be better in this respect - Their Villagers interview and session was particularly good!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I saw on my fb feed this morning that Orlagh & Eamonn are replacing Joe & Keith 'for the next while'. As bad as Eamonn is I would rather listen to himself and Orlagh than J & K. Orlagh is a pretty good presenter IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

How long is a while??? And has their absence anything to do with 8radio????
    MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I saw on my fb feed this morning that Orlagh & Eamonn are replacing Joe & Keith 'for the next while'. As bad as Eamonn is I would rather listen to himself and Orlagh than J & K. Orlagh is a pretty good presenter IMO.

thalia_13 wrote: »
    How long is a while??? And has their absence anything to do with 8radio????

From Phanton FB page:
    Good Morning!! Éamon and Orlagh sitting in for Joe & Keith on Breakfast for the next little while.

Today we have Longitude tickets to give away and tickets to a gig we'll be announcing after 9am. We'll also be asking the question 'Where Are They Now?'

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

They're just on holidays for midterm according to the ads on the station last week.

Midterm??! So they'll be taking 3 months holidays in the summer then?!:P

They're just on holidays for midterm according to the ads on the station last week.

Is Phantom being ran by the public sector now!?! :p

I've been told that they are both ex teachers..probably should have stuck at it too
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Well the ad said "We'll be on holidays...well, looking after our children"...so I presume they both took it purposely to coincide with midterm! Although can't remember if it's for one week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

A lot of you guys are saying stuff along the lines of:

"Oh what have you done to my Phantom? You're ruining it - how dare you.."

If any of you actually listened to the station for any decent period of time - you would know that J&C actually started out on the station on a Thurs night slot back in the day (way before their time on Spin)..

From memory - the random name generator was their go-to gag at that time..

You mightn't like them - but saying Phantom is changing for the worse is just making yourself look stupid because its actually gone back to an orginal pairing - who are still a marked improvement on the Steve Conway days!!

For what its worth - I like them but then again I did like their thurs night show back then aswell.

As for Eamonn ***ing Fennell - now please do not get me started..
    Did he really say that his first ever gig was Jamelia????
    Jesus wept.

Just reading the comments under that announcement on the Phantom FB page there. Seems to be a lot of negative feedback towards their morning show. No wonder they hate the Internet so much!! Did anyone catch the silly Twitter spat they had with a listener a few weeks back during a show? They got a bit riled up over some comments posted about their show. Stuff along the lines it was worse than Hector's on 2FM and also how Phantom should never have finished with Richie & Michelle/ Sinister Pete in the morning. It was a bit cringy and I don't know why they responded to it- I thought only the likes of Noel Edmonds got annoyed over things like that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ciaran

If any of you actually listened to the station for any decent period of time - you would know that J&C actually started out on the station on a Thurs night slot back in the day (way before their time on Spin)..
    They're still dire! If they were like this back in the day, I'm glad that I missed that show. I suspect they played more music then too.
    an orginal pairing - who are still a marked improvement on the Steve Conway days!!
    They really aren't. Steve Conway was one of the best DJs on Irish radio (and I'm delighted to see that he's doing a show on Simon Maher's new venture), these two clowns aren't fit to tie his shoelaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

Ciaran wrote: »
    I suspect they played more music then too.

You suspect wrong so..

MCMLXXV wrote: »

Why the **** would you replace two moronic clowns with two different moronic clowns?

Why am I asking, phantom has gone to ****.

You mightn't like them - but saying Phantom is changing for the worse is just making yourself look stupid because its actually gone back to an orginal pairing - who are still a marked improvement on the Steve Conway days!!

For what its worth - I like them but then again I did like their thurs night show back then aswell.

Jesus wept.

The chuckle brothers could have been phantom stalwarts for decades, it makes no difference.

They left, came back, and instantly destroyed the place. Giving more exposure to s gaa playing reality tv ponce is just icing on the cake.

10k listeners lost in the last radio survey, and it's only going to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ciaran

You suspect wrong so..

Fair enough. I'm glad they weren't my introduction to the station so; I'd have missed out on a lot of good music.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Jesus wept.

Bollocks, they were ****e then, they were ****e on spin and they're still ****e now.

However I wholeheartedly support your Fennel hate. Beyond clueless, he reminds me of Dougal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Well the ad said "We'll be on holidays...well, looking after our children"...so I presume they both took it purposely to coincide with midterm! Although can't remember if it's for one week or two.
    Wow, if I ever have children I wish my boss was so sound to give me holidays every time there's a school break :pac:

Advertisement