Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where are the conservatives in Ireland?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Not going by the posters on here who support it, their normally the same ones who are anti vaccination, anti gay, anti social welfare etc. A quick look at their post history normally shows this.

Sort of a mix of troll level and mental health issues in one.

Definitely. And there are some who go on threads just to argue with others. Some kind of inferiority complex in real life maybe

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Definitely. And there are some who go on threads just to argue with others. Some kind of inferiority complex in real life maybe

Maybe some do, given that some seem to rereg just to keep spouting ****e.

Ok well I'm done. Spent enough time on this. It will only turn into an argument or heated exchange which nobody wants.
    The future is not in our hands anyway and we could argue until the cows come home but it would be a waste of our time.

Maybe some do, given that some seem to rereg just to keep spouting ****e.

The classic shutdown. Ban everyone with a different opinion. Be well.
    Goodnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

How can you be driven by logic and also believe in a God?

The classic shutdown. Ban everyone with a different opinion. Be well.
    Goodnight

Who said anything about banning anyone with a different opinion, usually takes pond scum level posting to get a site ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,932 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I didn't say it was. I said it's a 29% increase as per the figures. It's early days
    Ok well I'm done. Spent enough time on this. It will only turn into an argument or heated exchange which nobody wants.
    The future is not in our hands anyway and we could argue until the cows come home but it would be a waste of our time.

If the muslim population continually increases by the same numbers per week as it did between 2011 and the Irish population increases at the same rate as it did over the same period, in 50 years time, the percentage identifying as muslim will still be only 3% of the total population.

If it increases by 29% census on census, in 50 years, it'll still only be 13% of the total population, still a significant minority.

I suspect the former scenario is likely, the latter an improbability as joe40 pointed out, the smaller the total number, the bigger the percentage increase looks like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭briany

Who said anything about banning anyone with a different opinion, usually takes pond scum level posting to get a site ban.

"The moderators on that boards.ie are some shower. They banned me and all I said was that a certain section of people should be eliminated. So called 'freedom of speech'!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,643 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

If my wording was off I apologise.

I am still yet to see a left wing anti immigrant protest

I've yet to see a right wing gay pride parade, what's your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

pablojml wrote: »
    I'm not very familiar with the political parties of Ireland, and would like to ask where or which are the conservative parties in Ireland, not the fake ones, I mean the real conservatives who are for core family values, there are only two genders, a family is a man a woman and children, homosexuality is not a normal lifestyle and can be overcome (not hating it but not promoting it), safe borders, controlled immigration and not massive influx of ilegal immigration, parents are the main educators of children not schools, abortion means killing a baby, rights come from God and not men, not being driven by emotios but by logic, etc etc. Are they extinct? I am finding it really hard to find a political party with such great values. Are there any groups that anyone can join? Regards to all.

You missed a trick their OP, just sign up to Islam and that covers the majority of what you look for plus the progressives will look the other way! :-)

On the subject of politics I think it's refreshing to see Vox go from under 50K voting for them in 2016 to getting 2.6M votes last weekend and the same with Legal Nord in Italy! People are starting to see through the political parties here and are looking for altrrnatives!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I'm not very familiar with the political parties of Ireland, and would like to ask where or which are the conservative parties in Ireland, not the fake ones, I mean the real conservatives who are for core family values, there are only two genders, a family is a man a woman and children, homosexuality is not a normal lifestyle and can be overcome (not hating it but not promoting it), safe borders, controlled immigration and not massive influx of ilegal immigration, parents are the main educators of children not schools, abortion means killing a baby, rights come from God and not men, not being driven by emotios but by logic, etc etc. Are they extinct? I am finding it really hard to find a political party with such great values. Are there any groups that anyone can join? Regards to all.

Trying to marginalise certain parts of any society by portraying a normalised identity is only going to smother the identity your hoping to promote. By constantly coercing your identity to a certain core set of beliefs you actually starve your mind of its' development. This can lead to negative connotations, which can be very detrimental to a society as a whole.

Conservative thinking as described by the op is essentially the catalyst of modern fascism. If you really look into the tripe you are trying to convey you will really see how regressive it is.

This is third millennium pal, why would you waste your precious time copying old and dated ideologies which have proven to be unsuccessful both on a social and individual level?

Conservatism is conceited laziness, at its' very core. It inspires nothing and drowns your mind, don't waste your time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The census claims a 29% increase between 2011 and 2016. It's happening. No doubt

Percentage increases mean fup all. 5 more immigrants one year could represent a 100% increase on the previous year. 100% sounds like loads.

EDIT, beaten too it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

You missed a trick their OP, just sign up to Islam and that covers the majority of what you look for plus the progressives will look the other way! :-)

On the subject of politics I think it's refreshing to see Vox go from under 50K voting for them in 2016 to getting 2.6M votes last weekend and the same with Legal Nord in Italy! People are starting to see through the political parties here and are looking for altrrnatives!

Why would the op join the Muslims?. What is the Muslim political party called?

In reality.. There's plenty of snivelling little alt right cowards on the site to interact with.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The European parliament as a whole is liberal and pro immigration. We take our orders from them in regards to quotas etc.
    Wrong:

"[T]he EU is competent to lay down the conditions governing entry into and legal residence in a Member State, including for the purposes of family reunification, for third-country nationals. Member States retain the right to determine volumes of admission for people coming from third countries to seek work."

I've yet to see a right wing gay pride parade, what's your point?

The poster before said not all liberals were for mass immigration. I said I haven't seen any left wing anti immigration protests.
    Come on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The poster before said not all liberals were for mass immigration. I said I haven't seen any left wing anti immigration protests.
    Come on

Liberal and left wing are 2 different things for a start.

One can be against mass immigration and pro controlled immigration. It's a fairly straightforward proposition.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I just think that those working and paying for themselves need a voice to speak up for them. They are far too accepting and compliant. But hey.

Nothing to do with Muslims or immigrants at all, more to do with those who some perceive as freeloaders, with a flat or house within the M50 and no working person involved at all, whilst those that are paying for this have to move miles and miles away and commute in.

That's just the reality of many people's views. Who will support that view? Well no one will really because they are muzzled by the meeja who see everyone on benefits, HAP and etc. including Travellers as above reproach.

All the vitriol seems to be directed at the squeezed middle. We need a voice now.

Come on

I'm considered "left wing" but I'm not for "mass immigration "

So are all "right wing" people anti LGBT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

How is me personally knowing any Muslims relevant?

Are you going to say that Islam is a modern religion whos followers beliefs are a good fit for a modern progressive Ireland?
    Or that Islamic extremism does not exist?
    Or Islam is pro gay and women's rights?

Or that Muslims will integrate in Ireland even though we see division and violence throughout Europe. Ireland will be different for some reason

You might have an understanding then of what you are talking about.

Your like a mechanic chatting crap in the pub when he's never opened a bonnet.

Hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

China have a left wing government and its one of the hardest countries on earth to immigrate to. You don't see North Korea/Cuba or other extreme left wing nations allowing mass migration into their countries.

Merkel a conservative is the person most on the right blame for the European migration crisis.

Far right parties gaining popularity in Spain, Austria, Italy, Germany, Sweden. I guess those that learn nothing from history are doomed to repeat it

rossie1977 wrote: »
    China have a left wing government and its one of the hardest countries on earth to immigrate to. You don't see North Korea/Cuba or other extreme left wing nations allowing mass migration into their countries.

Merkel a conservative is the person most on the right blame for the European migration crisis.

Far right parties gaining popularity in Spain, Austria, Italy, Germany, Sweden. I guess those that learn nothing from history are doomed to repeat it

All countries that Merkel's open borders policies have directly affected! Ordinary citizens in these countries are getting fed up! She will be remembered for doing a lot of damage to Europe! I'll always remember the clip of her throwing away the German flag when handed to her at an event, not something I would be happy to see if I was a German citizen!

All countries that Merkel's open borders policies have directly affected! Ordinary citizens in these countries are getting fed up! She will be remembered for doing a lot of damage to Europe! I'll always remember the clip of her throwing away the German flag when handed to her at an event, not something I would be happy to see if I was a German citizen!

It is common to not wave German flags at political events because it is seen as overtly nationalist. It is not just Merkel who adheres to this. Also, she didn't throw it away, she handed to someone off stage.

As she said herself, "we will find out what we truly learned from WW2 when all those who remember it are gone".
    The rise and rhetoric of many of the right wing groups reflect similar rises in Germany and Italy 80 years ago.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You obviously have your own agenda... and you are entitled to it...

But it is not customary to wave German flags at political events nor did she throw it away.

Merkel is well respected throughout the EU and support for the EU has grown over the past few years.

Now back to real discussion, and leave you to your agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭briany

It is common to not wave German flags at political events because it is seen as overtly nationalist. It is not just Merkel who adheres to this. Also, she didn't throw it away, she handed to someone off stage.

As she said herself, "we will find out what we truly learned from WW2 when all those who remember it are gone".
    The rise and rhetoric of many of the right wing groups reflect similar rises in Germany and Italy 80 years ago.

To be cynical about it, we probably haven't learned a thing from WW2 when you take Merkel's stipulation. We didn't learn enough from the countless wars preceding WW2 not to repeat the same types of atrocities over and over again, so why would WW2 be any different?

People are open to the same kind of fear-mongering and rhetoric that they ever were, and I think the only thing that shocks them out of it is when it goes from words to actions, on a wide scale, and they have to own up to the savagery and the violence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,624 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Liberal/conservative is not the same as left/right.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,897 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think the clock is ticking on serious right wing governments emerging on the continent for sure in the next 10 years.

But I think Ireland is well behind on that trend for now.

I think the clock is ticking on serious right wing governments emerging on the continent for sure in the next 10 years.

But I think Ireland is well behind on that trend for now.

One can only hope we catch up some day

One can only hope we catch up some day

Can you point to what you think is a right wing government which you think you would like to see replicated in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Ireland is generally a liberal country. We recently voted to allow same sex marriage for example.
    Why are we happy to allow Muslims to live here?
    I believe you answered your own question.
    An do you think that they were great times. Let's pretend we are progressive yet invite in people with beliefs from the dark ages.
    The Irish Constitution grants freedom of religious practice, and also prohibits discrimination on the grounds of religious belief. Immigration officials do not ask your religion when you're seeking to enter the country and I am unaware of any policy of the Irish Government, to expressly invite individuals professing a Muslim faith, to Ireland.

See Article 44.2:
    1° Freedom of conscience and the free profession and practice of religion are, subject to public order and morality, guaranteed to every citizen.

2° The State guarantees not to endow any religion.

3° The State shall not impose any disabilities or make any discrimination on the ground of religious profession, belief or status.

I actually think that most of you on the left are nice welcoming people who see the best in people and believe we can all hold hands and get along but your failings are shortsightedness and gullibility.
    With respect, that's tarring a large group of folks with the same brush, and ironically, is one of the arguments many folks with a conservative and/or right-wing viewpoint accuse 'the left' of doing to them. While there are no doubt folks of a left-leaning view that fall into that category to say that all of us do is to assist in the same kind of 'us or them' attitudes that maintain a division.
    We can't all get along because we are not the same in views, religious beliefs, culture, history and attitude.
    The irony is that you're directing this statement at a particular group of people, adherents of Islam, while the people within our own democratic society can't all get along because we are not the same in views, religious beliefs, history* and attitude. (For a rather apt example, just look at our neighbours in the UK)
    Very few left leaning people agree with mass immigration?
    Pull the other one.
    I'm left-leaning and am not in favour of "mass immigration".
    Hungary or Poland would be anti immigration governments and we all see the grief the Hungarian government gets.
    I believe the grief the Hungarian government gets isn't for being anti-immigration in and of itself but for the type of individual that Mr Orban is, his expressed views and the actions of his government.
    On the subject of politics I think it's refreshing to see Vox go from under 50K voting for them in 2016 to getting 2.6M votes last weekend...
    From what I had heard, much of those gains came from voters motivated by the events that happened in Catalonia as one of Vox's points was to curtail regional autonomy along with a 'return to traditional Spanish values'. It saddens me that a regressive homophobic party would make significant gains, the antitheses of a modern liberal society.
    History never repeats itself but it often rhymes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Can you point to what you think is a right wing government which you think you would like to see replicated in Ireland?

A Thatcherite government that rewards hard work instead of bone idleness would be a good start.

• Advertisement

Pkiernan wrote: »
    A Thatcherite government that rewards hard work instead of bone idleness would be a good start.

The hard working miners might beg to differ, plus those who fear excessive privatisation is effectively stripping a nations assets and selling them for parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,624 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

..with a poll-tax?:confused:

Plenty of hard working miners would disagree with you, the woman was a ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

That sounds like a call for open borders

I thought you didn't want that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Is this the new Yaxley Lennon thread in disguise after the last one got shut down? We seem to have the same gamut of xenophonia, homophobia and outright racism

Inquitus wrote: »
    Is this the new Yaxley Lennon thread in disguise after the last one got shut down? We seem to have the same gamut of xenophonia, homophobia and outright racism

Ah just the standard bs from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

How is me personally knowing any Muslims relevant?

Are you going to say that Islam is a modern religion whos followers beliefs are a good fit for a modern progressive Ireland?
    Or that Islamic extremism does not exist?
    Or Islam is pro gay and women's rights?

Or that Muslims will integrate in Ireland even though we see division and violence throughout Europe. Ireland will be different for some reason

We see violence/crime usually where people are thrown into ghettos and forgotten about regardless of race or religion. We have seen it in Ireland among the native population in places like Ballymun, Moyross, Battery heights in Athlone.

Fact is there were almost 600 people who identified as Muslim in Ballyhaunis, a town of about 2,000 during last census. Ballyhaunis hasn't had riots or bombings or any major increase in crime compared to similar sized towns within same region.

As for integration yes it's possible https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/mayo-youngster-akram-hoping-to-push-new-boundaries-in-2019-season-894300.html

Ask someone who lived north of Birmingham during Thatcher's reign how life was. My uncle brought me all around Manchester in the mid 1990s showing the absolute desolation her government left in that city.

Inquitus wrote: »

They migrate to other threads:D

The Thatcher government destroyed working class Britain and rewarded the financial services industry. This delusion that only conservatives believe in rewarding hard work constantly bamboozles me. You can reward hard work while maintaining a basic standard of living for everyone.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I don't think in the history of mankind there has ever been a party, conservative or otherwise as you describe.
    The US has the Republicans, who will say they have such 'values' but have shown to be fake.
    Then of course we have to look at what those values mean. Is there a defined definition? Depends on who you talk to.
    Based on the above the Catholic Church of the 1950's and earlier would have fit the bill.
    The ironic thing is though that people and groups who claim to be christian or for family values have so far shown themselves to be frauds.
    Where is the God loves everyone equally, family values of criminalising love between two people or telling a woman what to do with her pregnancy based on a bible of all things, (a mish mash of stories coloured to fit an agenda)? Where is the welcome for immigrants fleeing peril? 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you'? ' whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'? Joseph and Mary were immigrants, if you believe the bible and such.
    In short, IMO, a true conservative, as you describe above cannot be also a true Christian, nor have values.

The closest we have to political conservatives are Fine Gael. They put business above society and don't care for the working tax payer beyond trying to cadge votes. You can't get more conservative than that IMO.

The clear cut Left/Right thing is a myth. I think everyone is on board with vetting immigrants. The idea people just waltz in is a yarn perpetrated by the far right elements and easily led disgruntled center right voters looking for people to blame outside of elected policy makers, because god forbid 'the others' get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Sadly Ireland has no right , in the sense of financial conservatism. Unfortunately often any attempt to start a party or movement like that gets bogged down when a candidate gets too vocal on a divisive social issue like abortion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You might want to try studying the economics of the Thatcher years and get back to us with evidence of how she rewarded hard work....

Thatcher's legacy is the she oversaw the dismantling of British industry and as a result the UK has not produced a positive balance on trade in over 30 years. Vast parts of the country has been decimated as a result of her policies, that is how much she rewarded the hardworking citizens of her country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

We do not need these values in Ireland. It seems that this is a dream society for some:

b3911b78-1f3b-4652-b25d-30f304f17a38-handmaids-tale-season-2-trailer.jpg?w=970&h=546&fit=crop&crop=faces&auto=format&q=70

And before one thinks this is just a very good but fictional TV series, handmaid-type status was once part of conservative Ireland. They were called Magdalenes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

We do not need these values in Ireland. It seems that this is a dream society for some:

b3911b78-1f3b-4652-b25d-30f304f17a38-handmaids-tale-season-2-trailer.jpg?w=970&h=546&fit=crop&crop=faces&auto=format&q=70

And before one thinks this is just a very good but fictional TV series, handmaid-type status was once part of conservative Ireland. They were called Magdalenes.

I really think people need to edcuate themselves on the massive difference between theocratic religious control and influence over a society and political conservatism / financially conservative right wing politics.

You can have plenty of right wing parties that in no way infringe on womens rights as you can equally have left wing authoritarianism subjugate women.

I really think people need to edcuate themselves on the massive difference between theocratic religious control and influence over a society and political conservatism / financially conservative right wing politics.

You can have plenty of right wing parties that in no way infringe on womens rights as you can equally have left wing authoritarianism subjugate women.

What the OP describes is no political conservatism, you should know that as well as anyone.

they/them/theirs

Sadly Ireland has no right , in the sense of financial conservatism. Unfortunately often any attempt to start a party or movement like that gets bogged down when a candidate gets too vocal on a divisive social issue like abortion.

Of course Ireland has a right. It cant have a left if it doesn't have a right in the same way day can;t exists without night.

What you might be trying to say is that Ireland has no conservatism.

Of course Ireland has a right. It cant have a left if it doesn't have a right in the same way day can;t exists without night.

What you might be trying to say is that Ireland has no conservatism.

Ireland has a conservative element.

62% voted for same sex marriage, indicating 38% who were not in favour.
    66% voted to repeal the 8th, indicating 34% who were not in favour.
    While I obviously do not have definitive proof, I would not be surprised if the people who voted against each referendum were from the same group.

By this rational, you could argue that circa 35% of people in Ireland are still somewhat conservative.

We are becoming more liberal in a democratic society and so the results of such votes lead to some saying their is no conservatism, or their voices are always shouted down. That is not the case. We are still lukcy enough to live in an open engaged country with lots of public conversation and frequent elections at every level. There is a conservative element in Ireland, it is just being outnumbered currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Well aware of that. These religious extremist types are better termed radicals and they are often pro-massive backwards change which is not conservatism at all.

I know The Handmaid's Tale was partly based on the Ceausescu regime's policies, so that's a misogynist leftwing regime. Terms like left and right are I find confusing. Moderate and hardline may be better terms? Moderate left and right v hardliner left and right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Well aware of that. These religious extremist types are better termed radicals and they are often pro-massive backwards change which is not conservatism at all.

I know The Handmaid's Tale was partly based on the Ceausescu regime's policies, so that's a misogynist leftwing regime. Terms like left and right are I find confusing. Moderate and hardline may be better terms? Moderate left and right v hardliner left and right?

It might clear things up. Some think everything 'good' in society belongs from their preferred side and everything 'bad' to the other, regardless of who is in government oddly enough.

• Advertisement

Ireland has a conservative element.

62% voted for same sex marriage, indicating 38% who were not in favour.
    66% voted to repeal the 8th, indicating 34% who were not in favour.
    While I obviously do not have definitive proof, I would not be surprised if the people who voted against each referendum were from the same group.

By this rational, you could argue that circa 35% of people in Ireland are still somewhat conservative.

We are becoming more liberal in a democratic society and so the results of such votes lead to some saying their is no conservatism, or their voices are always shouted down. That is not the case. We are still lukcy enough to live in an open engaged country with lots of public conversation and frequent elections at every level. There is a conservative element in Ireland, it is just being outnumbered currently.

Would a big part of the conservative demographic be made up of the older generation here?
    Tim Poole had an interesting take on the censorship of conservative views on the various social media platforms in that your typical American conservatives are made up of older generations who get their news from TV and Newspapers whereas the younger generations all use Facebook Twitter YouTube for their news feeds. But if conservative voices are being silenced on these platforms then potentially their ability to influence the US elections and elsewhere will increase in years to come.

Advertisement