Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What will the next tax be.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Cycling, definitely a matter of time

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Tax people that wear Gym gear but dont know what the inside of a gym looks like or even what exercise is....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Income tax regardless of income.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Doesn't piss me off as much as the tv licence. Not a tax but close enough.

Can of worms time here but bad and all as RTE is, there is some semblance of a service for the money. Very poor value for money, but still some sort of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Can of worms time here but bad and all as RTE is, there is some semblance of a service for the money. Very poor value for money, but still some sort of service.

I agree but I don't use their service, at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Kimbot wrote: »
    Hell no, they can feck off and leave vaping alone. They already get their VAT from it and thats enough.
    well they did introduce law that only 10mill of liquid are allowed to sell, so guessing its not the end, seeing more people vaping, it will eventually come to tax nicotine itself maybe to even it out with cig prices.

sugar tax total joke, coke vent from 2l, 1,75, now its 1.5l bottle for 2.xxe in corner store

then theres car insurance industry which seems to take whatever number they want, while not government controlled, but again ripping new a$$ every year with increases

in general id say someone coming to Ireland now has to be totally stupid as entire economy is high as a kite, and numbers keep going up across everything.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Kimbot wrote: »
    Tax people that wear Gym gear but dont know what the inside of a gym looks like or even what exercise is....

But it makes me look sexy

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Vaping's next. The USC2, USC Harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Fully electric cars will get some sort of tax.

I think maybe some sort of tax on private vehicles based on mileage done per year (in addition to motor tax/fuel tax). They will base their figures off the odometer readings taken when the car has an NCT done. New cars (< 5 years old) will still need a yearly reading taken.

I think the tax relief in relation to your pension will be reduced and they will take a bigger cut when you go to retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

OSI wrote: »
    Why? It will either raise more revenue required to run the services it produces an extra dependence on, or it will encourage better choices that will reduce dependence on those same resources. It's a win/win in my book.

You assume that it will work.

It's debateable whether it will have a useful outcome.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/sugar-soft-drinks-tax-does-it-work-health-benefits-facts-2918363-Oct2017/
    http://www.bbc.com/news/health-43659124

In the meantime, we have yet another tax to enjoy. Thanks, Nanny State.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

a tax on thoughts.. a bit like the Orwellian Thought-crime concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Boom_Bap wrote: »

There should be a tax on making you look sexy! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

a tax on thoughts.. a bit like the Orwellian Thought-crime concept.

Possibly this one will be implemented as it means our politicians won't be liable due to lack of thoughts.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Manufactures should be taxed for over packaging everything.
    Coffee Shops should be taxed if they are using single use cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Boom_Bap wrote: »

We're bringing sexy-tax (yeah),
    You're gonna pay for those yoga cacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

If they're planning on a plastic tax, they should at least introduce a plastic bottle recycling system in Ireland. You see these in loads of European countries, recycling machines around the place. The machine has a bar code scanner and through that it can analyse the size of bottle and it calculates your refund based on the size of the bottle. The refund is a fraction of the price of the bottle.
    I think this would be really popular in Ireland. Anyone who has ever attended a festival here will have seen young children going around collecting plastic beer cups to get prizes from a beer tent. I can see plastic bottle recycling facilities in Ireland being very successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'm shocked nobody has thought of a sickness tax? You're sick and can't work? Off you go an pay tax, because when you're sick you can't work and pay tax, so pay a tax that the state gets something for the tax they lose out when you're out sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

LirW wrote: »
    I'm shocked nobody has thought of a sickness tax? You're sick and can't work? Off you go an pay tax, because when you're sick you can't work and pay tax, so pay a tax that the state gets something for the tax they lose out when you're out sick.
    But for those that get sick pay they pay income tax in it

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tmh106

<snip> The min alcohol pricing coming. <snip>.

Nitpicking a little, but the minimum alcohol pricing will not be a tax, as far as I am aware - I believe the retailer will get to keep all of any resulting price increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I agree but I don't use their service, at all.

Your taxes go towards provision of the fire brigade services, do you burn things to use that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Your taxes go towards provision of the fire brigade services, do you burn things to use that?

The benefit of the fire service is obvious. Can't see the benefit of Tubridy or Miarim can you?

ELM327 wrote: »
    But for those that get sick pay they pay income tax in it

Simples, just tax it seperately because they're unproductive. Also double GP visit costs so the peasantry shows up to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Tax on air quality where you live. The better the air and less polution, the more you pay. Could see that getting proposed by some gob****e.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Tax on air quality where you live. The better the air and less polution, the more you pay. Could see that getting proposed by some gob****e.

Believe me a day after that the whole country would be a bonfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

I would like to see a Muppet Tax. A tax on all of the complete idiots out there.

The tax should be voluntary, so that only idiots pay it.

It should be disguised as a product that you don't need and it should be superficially attractive but essentially useless.

I am thinking along the lines of the lottery but that is already there so it has to be something new.

Any ideas?

5c per post on boards (10c in AH)
    75c per FB post, 25c per FB comment, 5c per like

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

It's already here and called carbon tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Tax traveller bashing threads

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Property tax to be expanded to new builds for sure anyway. Plug that hole they see coming. Some kind of motor tax reform increase is definitely on the way too.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

The sugar tax is in now. The min alcohol pricing coming.
    Minimum alcohol pricing is not a tax - it just stops retails stores selling at ridiculous low prices to get people in to buy other stuff.

Unfortunately it contributes substantially to the excessive drinking culture we have here.

It won't lead to any price increase in pubs or restaurants, but the day of below cost selling of slabs of beer and 1l bottles of cheap vodka are gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Instead of a new tax, just cut wasteful expenditure.

Cap children’s allowance.

Advertisement