Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will the next tax be.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    But it makes me look sexy

I wont disagree :P

BAe14dEvRXn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Sugar tax is pure stupid. Its on sugar drinks that most responsible parents are not giving there kids. Also if adults are buying sugar drinks they know. One tax they they need the biggest cancer on this society is betting tax. Ruining a lot of lives in this country. But no probably to many tds and party boys in the pockets of paddy power and boyle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Paddy power watched a guy rob 1.7m and gamble it TO PADDY give him comps etc etc go to jail. Paddy power is great. Slowly they are letting casiono **** into bookies here. Not a word said. The politicans only try sort out people lobby on like min pricing on alcohol. Like the pubs done. The minister for health today is in the dock standing over 17 deaths and hell be back trying to preach over min pricing on alcohol. Pure and utter clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

A Tax on Tax twke

Just add 1% tax on the take to existing tax to collect more

An admin fee or what ever way it can be justified

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Paddy power watched a guy rob 1.7m and gamble it TO PADDY give him comps etc etc go to jail.

What's this story about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

They should have a water tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

erica74 wrote: »
    What's this story about?

It’s a nonsense sensationalist view of a guy who stole millions from An Post and gambled it away. You’d swear Paddy was standing over him as he nicked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Paddy power watched a guy rob 1.7m and gamble it TO PADDY give him comps etc etc go to jail. Paddy power is great. Slowly they are letting casiono **** into bookies here. Not a word said. The politicans only try sort out people lobby on like min pricing on alcohol. Like the pubs done. The minister for health today is in the dock standing over 17 deaths and hell be back trying to preach over min pricing on alcohol. Pure and utter clown.

Are you talking about the post office lad?

Wasn't that back in 2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I think the sugar tax is a stupid idea if it’s for tackling obesity. It would have been better to remove vat on food and replace it with a calorie tax. Somewhere between .1c and .2c per calorie so people are paying roughly the same amount of tax previously but it puts higher taxes on people who eat in excess and reduces the cost of healthy foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

GarIT wrote: »
    I think the sugar tax is a stupid idea if it’s for tackling obesity. It would have been better to remove vat on food and replace it with a calorie tax. Somewhere between .1c and .2c per calorie so people are paying roughly the same amount of tax previously but it puts higher taxes on people who eat in excess and reduces the cost of healthy foods.

That would be sexist.
    Man needs 2500kcal a day, a woman needs 2000kcal a day.
    At €0.02 you's be talking nearly €18,250 a year for a man and €14,600 for a woman.

No thanks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Existence tax. Introduced as a temporary 'desperate measure' during the next recession in order to preserve the fractional reserve banking system for another decade or so will see everyone paying €1,000 a year for the privilege of staying alive

grahambo wrote: »
    That would be sexist.
    Man needs 2500kcal a day, a woman needs 2000kcal a day.
    At €0.02 you's be talking nearly €18,250 a year for a man and €14,600 for a woman.

No thanks...

.2c or €0.002 not €0.02. I guess it is a bit sexist but it’s no more sexist than vat on food, women eat less so pay less. It just shifts the tax from being based on how expensive food is to based how many calories are in it and therefore how much of a strain you will likely put on publicly funded health services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Bear tax

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Motor tax is definitely getting an overhaul soon. How do I know? I can nearly afford a car with the cheap tax now. So as soon as I can afford it, the tax will go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I think the sugar tax is a stupid idea if it’s for tackling obesity. It would have been better to remove vat on food and replace it with a calorie tax.

Most foods are exempt from VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

They will start charging for the electricity generated from solar panels.

Geuze wrote: »
    Most foods are exempt from VAT.

I didn't know that.

I didn't know that.

Have a look at an Aldi or Lidl receipt.

Every product is coded with a letter which corresponds to 0%, 9%, 13.5% or 23% VAT.

OK, some foods do have 23% VAT, e.g. sweets, choc, etc.

And some processed baked goods are at 9%/13.5%.

But most are at 0%.

The receipts will breakdown how much VAT you paid at each rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I reckon they will eventually bring in a "Your Ma" tax. So every time someone says "your ma" they have to pay tax. It's a potential goldmine that I can't believe hasn't been explored yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Existence tax. Introduced as a temporary 'desperate measure' during the next recession in order to preserve the fractional reserve banking system for another decade or so will see everyone paying €1,000 a year for the privilege of staying alive

Some believe, including myself, that fractional reserve banking actually doesn't exist, as it implies banks lend out reserves, but they actually don't, as the majority of money is in fact created by banks in the form of loans by a method that's commonly called 'double entry bookkeeping'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

lawred2 wrote: »
    I would expect that most people get illness benefit at their work

you would expect wrongly

a lot of people do not get any additional benefits at work. salary and thats it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Some believe, including myself, that fractional reserve banking actually doesn't exist, as it implies banks lend out reserves, but they actually don't, as the majority of money is in fact created by banks in the form of loans by a method that's commonly called 'double entry bookkeeping'.

You know a deposit is actually a loan(to the bank) ? and involves double entry bookkeeping too?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Straws, hopefully.

Or a tax on women that wear Under Armour / Nike leggings yet haven't been to the gym.
    Or a tax on men wearing leggings under shorts in the gym.

Wanderer78 wrote: »

If a bank receives a deposit of 100, they keep some in reserve, and lend out the balance.

To say they "lend out reserves" is a bit confusing.

lawred2 wrote: »
    I would expect that most people get illness benefit at their work

Employers do not have to pay sick pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Geuze wrote: »
    Employers do not have to pay sick pay.

Did I say that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

They will start charging for the electricity generated from solar panels.

Sshhh!!!! Are you nuts?! That's just evil!
    And workable.
    I would guess when selling the electricity back into the grid, tax would apply to the money paid for it.
    I think they did something like that in Spain.
    Yep, they did:
    https://www.renewableenergyworld.com/articles/2015/10/spain-approves-sun-tax-discriminates-against-solar-pv.html

Spanish government are an even worse shower of corrupt bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Isn't funny how those that moan about tax, never comment about the very generous children's allowance, the near free (compared to most countries) education, the subsidised public transport, the generous social welfare system, the decent state pension.

Imagine if you had to pay no tax, but in return get nothing free - no free water, no free education and no social welfare and no children's allowance and no state pension.

Imagine how much that would all cost you? I bet you'd beg to go back to paying the current rates of tax.
    According to this:
    http://www.publicpolicy.ie/where-does-your-tax-go/
    I'm better off paying for everything from my pocket rather than being taxed on income... and this doesn't count the VAT and the excise duty on fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Minimum alcohol isnt a tax, the state will get very little out of this pointless piece of legislation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Studies prove that sugar is the primary cause of excessive weight in people. The sugar tax is not a solution in itself, but puts the issue in front of parents every time they shop.

There is no study to prove that  taxing sugar will help
    The low calories sweetener drinks don't help fighting the obesity also.

Advertisement