Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will the next tax be.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Minimum alcohol pricing is not a tax - it just stops retails stores selling at ridiculous low prices to get people in to buy other stuff.

Unfortunately it contributes substantially to the excessive drinking culture we have here.

It won't lead to any price increase in pubs or restaurants, but the day of below cost selling of slabs of beer and 1l bottles of cheap vodka are gone.

Someone bulk buying "low priced" alcohol for a drinking problem doesn't care about whatever else is in the shop. Raise the prices they'll still go for whatever is the cheapest option, it'll just cost more and impact their ability to spend elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Your taxes go towards provision of the fire brigade services, do you burn things to use that?

What has burning tyres in my front garden got to do with my tv licence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Isn't funny how those that moan about tax, never comment about the very generous children's allowance, the near free (compared to most countries) education, the subsidised public transport, the generous social welfare system, the decent state pension.

Imagine if you had to pay no tax, but in return get nothing free - no free water, no free education and no social welfare and no children's allowance and no state pension.

Imagine how much that would all cost you? I bet you'd beg to go back to paying the current rates of tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

CeilingFly wrote:
    Isn't funny how those that moan about tax, never comment about the very generous children's allowance, the near free (compared to most countries) education, the subsidised public transport, the generous social welfare system, the decent state pension.

Free education? Really, so books are free no "voluntary" contribution, no field trips to be paid for, free school uniforms, free school transport. Third level no fees , or books or accommodation all free.
    A significant figure of the SW is pensions circa 6.7 billion.
    CA 134 euro, child care on average 1000 euro a month.
    Not everyone can or does avail of public transport. Non existent where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Minimum alcohol pricing is not a tax - it just stops retails stores selling at ridiculous low prices to get people in to buy other stuff.

Unfortunately it contributes substantially to the excessive drinking culture we have here.

It won't lead to any price increase in pubs or restaurants, but the day of below cost selling of slabs of beer and 1l bottles of cheap vodka are gone.

Next you're going to tell me that the sugar tax is to curb obesity rates...

I actually wish I was that naive, life would be bliss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Free education?
    Read the post - it states "NEAR free" and in relation to actual cost of circa €10,000 per year to educate a primary school child, the actual cost to a parent even when you include schoolbooks and contributions is near free.
    Caliden wrote: »
    Next you're going to tell me that the sugar tax is to curb obesity rates...

I actually wish I was that naive, life would be bliss.

Studies prove that sugar is the primary cause of excessive weight in people. The sugar tax is not a solution in itself, but puts the issue in front of parents every time they shop.

CeilingFly wrote:
    Read the post - it states "NEAR free" and in relation to actual cost of circa €10,000 per year to educate a primary school child, the actual cost to a parent even when you include schoolbooks and contributions is near free.

So it costs circa 10 k to educate a child in primary. Link please. It's either free or it's not no such thing as 'NEAR free' just because you made it up.

CeilingFly wrote:

What about the rest of my post no pearls of wisdom or another makey uppy term?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Let the bears pay the bear tax. I pay the homer tax!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Bring back the window tax :pac:

Church tax
    Reunification tax after brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

begbysback wrote: »
    Tax traveller bashing threads

Tax travellers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Tax on tax! It's the only way forward now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Property tax to be expanded to new builds for sure anyway. Plug that hole they see coming. Some kind of motor tax reform is definitely on the way too.
    Fully electric cars will get some sort of tax.

I think maybe some sort of tax on private vehicles based on mileage done per year (in addition to motor tax/fuel tax). They will base their figures off the odometer readings taken when the car has an NCT done. New cars (< 5 years old) will still need a yearly reading taken.

Defo some sort of motor tax change on the way. It's been Idle to long, and there is a "War on Cars" now in most of the cities around the country. I'd imagine some sort of congestion charge will come into play (similar to London)

Also electric cars are going to be taxed heavily, The new Nissan Leaf is the first electric car that I could afford that I would actually consider buying as it looks like a Normal car. This could potentially change things for a lot of buyers. (The old one looked awful)

Expect to see many +182 Leaf's on the road.
    Doesn't piss me off as much as the tv licence. Not a tax but close enough.

I define a tax as something that, realistically, I have no choice but to pay.
    Things like TV Licence, Bin Charges, etc
    JMNolan wrote: »
    Cycling, definitely a matter of time

Not a chance, they can't even get Reg plates on them never mind tax them
    They might remove the cycle to work scheme though.
    padd b1975 wrote: »
    Income tax regardless of income.

This is effectively USC, I'd support just having a USC system rather than a 3 tier tax system we have at the moment.
    There's a huge amount of people paying sweet f**k all tax.

Imagine if you had to pay no tax, but in return get nothing free - no free water, no free education and no social welfare and no children's allowance and no state pension.

Imagine how much that would all cost you? I bet you'd beg to go back to paying the current rates of tax.

I disagree, I think more services (not everything) should be privatised, and you should only pay for what you use.
    It would never be implementable but imagine I only had to pay motortax for the roads I use when I use them.
    I use about 20 km of Road (Excluding M50 which is already taxed) most weeks
    If I go out on my bike on Sunday I might use an additional 90km of road.

HSE is a joke and they (as an entity) get more tax than anyone else (Cervical Screen Scandal is just the latest in massively long list of problems there)
    In terms of Education, most schools in built up areas expect you to pay a registration fee/donation to the running of the school.
    These fee's are going up every year (they aren't private school fee high at all but I'd heard of some schools expecting a €800 donation per child per year)

If you are prepared to live out in the sticks or have a load of kids, it is possible to live off the state in this country. You'll never have a things other than a ****ty house/flat in a council state/the middle of no where and a 15 year old car and basic food. But you'll never have to work a day in your life none the less. I think this is wrong.

The people most opposed to the water charge were people who don't work (firs time in years they've been asked to pay for something) Rest of the country would have just rolled over and paid for it.

My €0.02:
    Something to do with Brexit is the next Tax.
    Possibly a tax/toll on roads crossing the boarder.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

jester77 wrote: »
    Bring back the window tax :pac:

I was going to say that! Used to be a big earner did that. ;)

Some countries impose a departure tax that passengers have to pay, on leaving the country. Sometimes, it's incorporated in the price of the ticket. Looks like Ireland used to be one of those countries!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Departure_tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

When you consider what the minimum price of ANY can of beer is going to be, it's hard to defend a statement that only cut price ones will go up - the makers of higher priced beers will still want the same gap in pricing - otherwise there will be a blanket price for all beers, p*ss or otherwise. In addition, you can buy a bottle of wine in Spain for a euro - and they don't have the same cultural issues with drink - it's clearly not the pricing that causes drinking to excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Some countries impose a departure tax that passengers have to pay, on leaving the country. Sometimes, it's incorporated in the price of the ticket. Looks like Ireland used to be one of those countries!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Departure_tax

Sure we still have that at Knock airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Thumb tax, if you own a thumb.
    Thick tax, if you’re a thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I'm not a huge fan of additional taxes, but there's one charge I think should be brought in.

Minimum charges for use of medical card.

Say what?

Yes, nothing exorbitant. Say, €8 or €10 for a GP visit, some nominal fee for prescriptions. At the moment the system is absolutely bonkers. Small fees would be affordable by everyone, even OAPs, but would help eliminate people using the service who don't need to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Fck it more like what's the next weekly tenner they'll take out our pockets.

With the sugar tax every family will be down at least a tenner a week.

So that's 520 a year.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The sugar tax is in now. The min alcohol pricing coming. What other tax's do people see coming because sure as hell they will. Coffee cup and plastic tax are probably the two next one's.

MUP isn't a tax.

My parents pay less than 10% income tax on 49k approx income.

This is an example of how direct income taxes on many people are low in Ireland.

Much lower than other countries.

A land-value tax would be more sensible than the LPT.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Geuze wrote: »
    My parents pay less than 10% income tax on 49k approx income.

This is an example of how direct income taxes on many people are low in Ireland.

Much lower than other countries.
    49k income combined would be quite low, so I imagine with sharing the tax bands and credits most tax is offset.

As a single individual I earned 62k last year all in (including bonus) and paid approx 30% of that in tax, USC, PRSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Syntax
    Anyone spot what I did there?
    No,thought not :D

Yes, nothing exorbitant. Say, €8 or €10 for a GP visit, some nominal fee for prescriptions. At the moment the system is absolutely bonkers. Small fees would be affordable by everyone, even OAPs, but would help eliminate people using the service who don't need to.

Small fees in Ireland have a strange habit of becoming large fees. Charge for ER when introduced 20 pounds, now a 100 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Fck it more like what's the next weekly tenner they'll take out our pockets.

With the sugar tax every family will be down at least a tenner a week.

So that's 520 a year.....

They could just decrease their intake of sugary shite?

Sure we still have that at Knock airport.

I was not aware of that. Brass necks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Apparently aspartame is far more of a health risk than sugar is. There will be a diet drink tax next.

Advertisement